Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Ainsley McTree posted:

I honestly might be mixing it up with him, yeah. It’s very polite of that man to come to me for help even though I end up shooting him in the foot half the time (100% my fault)

No, I've gotten a number of robbery tips from the people in cages. It's the only reason I set them free, ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Zaa Boogie posted:

No, I've gotten a number of robbery tips from the people in cages. It's the only reason I set them free, ha.

I'm only on chapter 2, but every time I set one free, then just run off without a word. So I usually just shoot them in the back and loot them.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Luccion posted:

That sums up my treatment of any NPC that talks poo poo to me, at all. Then my wife stepped in and told me that it is too cruel to just drown them in a river. So now, I just drag them behind my horse until they stop moving, THEN dump them in the river. The problem with this method, is "witnesses" keep asking for me to shoot them in the face by trying to go to the dirty pigs about my hijinx.

There's quite a few ways to torture tied up dudes. I usually go for the campfire but Arthur tosses them with such an arc that they usually bounce off of it. Tossing off mountains can be fun. Mud drowning is probably the most brutal because you can see an imprint of how much they struggled.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Aranan posted:

It's not intuitive or said anywhere, but that doesn't unlock until after you start chapter 6.

Weird. Guess I can press on with the story after wrapping up these last two Gambler challenges. I'm at what I assume is the end of Chapter 4 because Angelo Bronte sleeps with the gators, and the next story mission looks to be a bank robbery based on its name. Can't wait to see how Dutch fucks this one up.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

shut up blegum posted:

Kill the lawmen and shoot the lock. I've never gotten anything except an honor boost as a reward for freeing them though.

The prisoner can give you hints. One of them told me about a secret distillery I could rob.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

rap music posted:

and thats not really even farming, but i have do have fun finding OPTIMAL CIRCUITS

on a perfect run i can make $50-$60 in 3 minutes

That's farming, friend.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Do worms really cost .50 cents each Online? That's quite goddamn silly, even by lovely Rockstar rip-off standards.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Weird that in a game with realistic horse poo poo and mud physics, the only place to find worms is in a store

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Jimbot posted:

Do worms really cost .50 cents each Online? That's quite goddamn silly, even by lovely Rockstar rip-off standards.

its a bug. if you buy it off the shelf its 5 for $.50

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ainsley McTree posted:

Weird that in a game with realistic horse poo poo and mud physics, the only place to find worms is in a store

Don't forget Horseballs realistically change size based on ambient temperature

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Iron Crowned posted:

Don't forget Horseballs realistically change size based on ambient temperature

wait...

really?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

grinds are fine if the grinding is varied and fun imho

give me risk vs reward decisions to make

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

CharlestonJew posted:

most of those sidequests are tied to Arthur slowly dying tho. They're either him trying to make amends for what he's done or just making one last friend before he goes

Yeah whatever. :colbert: :cry:
I actually had one of them trigger prematurely...either that or R* is telling me there is no hope in the world.

I did the quest to help the Edith Downes and her son escape their debt in the mining town. Shortly after I got the main quest to go to that town and at the end of the main quest cutscene Arthur sees Edith prostituting herself. Only in my case she had presumably already left with her son... :supaburn:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Oh, is that not how it's supposed to go? That's what happened in my game and it felt pretty bad.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

CharlestonJew posted:

there's a post office in Strawberry hth

Even if there wasn't you can go to any post office in the map and pay off bounties for any region you wish. You only need to step foot in a specific state if you want to turn yourself in instead of paying the bounty.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

CharlestonJew posted:

it's the games fault.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah whatever. :colbert: :cry:
I actually had one of them trigger prematurely...either that or R* is telling me there is no hope in the world.

I did the quest to help the Edith Downes and her son escape their debt in the mining town. Shortly after I got the main quest to go to that town and at the end of the main quest cutscene Arthur sees Edith prostituting herself. Only in my case she had presumably already left with her son... :supaburn:

My understanding is that cutscene happens regardless if you did the stranger mission by that point or not. I ground out every stranger mission I could find by chapter 6, so the same thing happened to me. Interpreted it as the son getting into an argument with her and running off, or just peacing out with the money after Arthur gives it to him. The cutscene really works both ways regardless of chronology.

Also just hit the epilogue last night with high honor, was having a lot of fun hunting and doing survivalist stuff up till then, so wasn't particularly bothered by the "slow" pace of the story (which really isn't that slow once you get past the first chapter imo). But goddamn everything really ramps up and pays off in chapter 6 from a plot standpoint.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CharlestonJew posted:

There's a post office at like every train station in the game

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tercio posted:

grinds are fine if the grinding is varied and fun imho

give me risk vs reward decisions to make

Oh yeah definitely, I had a lot of fun hunting spoonbills and gators for awhile.

So much so that I looked up roseate spoonbills and as it turns out they were pretty much extirpated from the US due to plume hunters IRL, so Rockstar deserves some credit for turning their player base into monsters yet again. You get like $10 per bird, who can say no??

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Welp, almost at the end of the game.
Arthur is dead. It actually felt pretty emotional, the slow D'Angelo song, the setting sun... I also felt really bad when my horse got shot, and then Arthur takes to time to thank it. God drat.
Wish I could have shot Micah and/or Dutch though. Glad at least some people made it out of the gang in the end.

Just started the mission where John, Jack and Abigail ride into Strawberry. Abigail mentions that Jack has been reading a certain book too much. That was the book Arthur gave him. The game just uses that diaologue whether you gave it to him or not right? Or are they really that good at Rockstar?

Also, I wonder about something I've read in here. I never got the chance to kick Strauss out of the camp? When was that supposed to happen?

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 5, 2018

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I still think a solid direction for this game would be gold bar payouts ONLY for activities that are interactive with the player-base (missions, pvp matches, "heists", etc) and then standard "cash" payouts for poo poo you do in free roam like hunting, hold-ups, stagecoach robberies, bounties, etc. You can make both activities lucrative but still offer a reward for doing both. Otherwise free roam is going to start getting pretty lifeless pretty drat fast.

Oh, add gambling, but make it the only multiplayer interactive activity that rewards/uses cash so you can pigeonhole gold bars as your microtransaction.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

shut up blegum posted:

Also, I wonder about something I've read in here. I never got the chance to kick Strauss out of the camp? When was that supposed to happen?

It's in Chapter 6, the last bit of the "Money Lending & Other Sins" questline. Strauss gives you two new ones to collect in 6, both give you the option to collect the debt or absolve it, and then you go back to camp and speak to him. Might be dependent on honor or whether or not you collect on those last two debts, not sure. I was white hat and let them both go, got to give Strauss das boot after.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

TheTrend posted:

its a bug. if you buy it off the shelf its 5 for $.50

This either doesn't work in Valentine's General store or they fixed it. I took screen shots last night that I can post after work if people still don't believe me, but buying the worms off the shelf cost $2.50 for 5. It's still profitable, just risky since small fry can eat them too so if you get a freakin' Bluegill it's only a quarter earned.

Tercio posted:

Oh, add gambling, but make it the only multiplayer interactive activity that rewards/uses cash so you can pigeonhole gold bars as your microtransaction.

I'm pretty sure that's why there's a split of gold bars and cash, if there wasn't they wouldn't be able to add in gambling since it'd be illegal in some areas if actual money was involved.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

shut up blegum posted:

The game just uses that diaologue whether you gave it to him or not right? Or are they really that good at Rockstar?

I never got Jack the book but still had the diaologue. If you do every single one of Strauss' missions, the last few are particularly rough, so Arthur flips and kicks him out of the camp. Ironically he probably saved his life by doing that.

I really liked the reveal that Arthur got TB from kicking the poo poo out of Mr. Downes for Strauss towards the beginning of the game, it makes that cutscene where he throws him out really powerful. There are a lot of subtle plot points that really pay off towards the end.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Hobo Clown posted:

It's in Chapter 6, the last bit of the "Money Lending & Other Sins" questline. Strauss gives you two new ones to collect in 6, both give you the option to collect the debt or absolve it, and then you go back to camp and speak to him. Might be dependent on honor or whether or not you collect on those last two debts, not sure. I was white hat and let them both go, got to give Strauss das boot after.

Oh crap. I accepted the last Strauss mission, because I was hoping I could tell Strauss to gently caress off instead. I never actually carried them out though. Ah well, at least he's dead now?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the online matchmaking modes all loving suck

just let me play a team deatchmatch you fuckers

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

talktapes posted:

I never got Jack the book but still had the diaologue. If you do every single one of Strauss' missions, the last few are particularly rough, so Arthur flips and kicks him out of the camp. Ironically he probably saved his life by doing that.

Epilogue spoiler: Charles mentions that Strauss got picked up by the Pinkertons at some point and was basically tortured to death, but never talked or gave up any of the gang. John says "You never know someone's strength" or something like that. Strauss's own little redemption story, I suppose.

shut up blegum posted:

Oh crap. I accepted the last Strauss mission, because I was hoping I could tell Strauss to gently caress off instead. I never actually carried them out though. Ah well, at least he's dead now?

What happens to him if he's still in the camp when it all goes south?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I just got the fishing pole and my only complaint about this game so far is that they should've just put the trapper in your camp.

Having optional recruitable camp people would own, like missions you could do to get a trapper, fence, etc in camp

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Hobo Clown posted:

What happens to him if he's still in the camp when it all goes south?

Nothing really. He's just gone somehow.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m still holding out hope that rdo turns into stardew valley and you can build up a farm or ranch and do missions to make money and grow it

The groundwork for it is more or less there from gtao, they’d just need to figure out a way to instance the player’s farm since so much of it would have to be outdoors.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MMOs have bee instances for like 8 yeara
I’m sure r* could figure it out

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Don't instance the ranches and let me terrorize other player's homes to build my cattle ranching empire.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Sometimes this game does things so profoundly stupid it still blows my mind. I'm in chapter 6 and I still haven't even been to Blackwater so i decided to ride down there. Bad idea apparently. That's fine. I'll just head back to the east side of the map and do something else. I'll go to Strawberry, and then I'll take a stagecoach back home. But oh hey, just riding to blackwater ended up racking up a large bounty for the entire region and guess what, stagecoach drivers won't give you a ride if you have a bounty I guess (why? Why would they do this? What a weird,specific thing to be affected by bounties when every other vendor is still useable) Too bad there isn't a post office in Strawberry, so I can't just pay off my bounty and be on my way. I know, I'll just piss off a cop and surrender, clearing my bounty. I do that, and loving Dutch "rescues" me. Are you loving serious? I didn't even know that was a thing. So now the cops are just chasing me. Thanks Dutch! I have now wasted 15 minutes trying to find a way to not have to run across the entire map, and I'm worse off than where I started. It's like the game read my mind every step of the way and just tried to be as annoying and counter intuitive as possible. I should have just spent 15 straight minutes running across the map, I actually would have got somewhere.

Do you play this game with your eyes closed and wool packed in to your ears? You are constantly missing the most obvious stuff

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Endgame question: will my horse be available at the stable again? Or is it really gone? I miss that boy already :smith:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m still holding out hope that rdo turns into stardew valley and you can build up a farm or ranch and do missions to make money and grow it

The groundwork for it is more or less there from gtao, they’d just need to figure out a way to instance the player’s farm since so much of it would have to be outdoors.

There was a leak or file mining or something that showed purchasable wagons and property for RDO. Probably a future feature. If I can't eventually rustle cattle from an actual human player than something has gone badly awry in my persistent online wild west experience tbh.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

shut up blegum posted:

Endgame question: will my horse be available at the stable again? Or is it really gone? I miss that boy already :smith:

gone forever

Vox Nihili posted:

There was a leak or file mining or something that showed purchasable wagons and property for RDO. Probably a future feature. If I can't eventually rustle cattle from an actual human player than something has gone badly awry in my persistent online wild west experience tbh.

I want a mode where I can farm in a rustle-free environment but based on the fact that gtao explicitly forbids you from running a business in peace, I’m not holding my breath for that

I guess I could just play stardew valley

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 5, 2018

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Aw man. Crazy how attached I got to a video game horse :(.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

This is honestly why I thought they'd set the RDR Online world after the events of single player, in the world that has a bunch of newly built ranch houses and plots for sale.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Buschmaki posted:

Don't instance the ranches and let me terrorize other player's homes to build my cattle ranching empire.

How the West(ern cowboy game) was truly won :clint:

It would own to be able to do cattle wars and own your own silly business tbh.

I really want trappers to be a thing in online; maybe even work for him in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I just finished the story, epilogue and all. I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the final, final mission: it's essentially just another "go here and kill these blokes" mission with something resembling a "boss fight" (that was over in about a minute, if that, somehow) at the end of it. I'm not sure if the final climax was really as impactful as it was supposed to be for me since I could kind of see it coming a mile off, but I don't know about you guys. I kind of wish that the epilogue "mission" where you take Abigail into Blackwater and propose to her on the lake was the finale, because I am a stupid soppy bastard and that was great (if also a bit sad if you've played the "first" game). Also, is it ever explained how Dutch and Micah got the Blackwater heist money out to the remote Ambarino cabin? Its location/status was kind of one of the overarching questions throughout the story, but all I can remember is Sadie just saying at the last minute, "Oh, by the way, the Blackwater money's in there, take it and enjoy your endgame!" Or am I just really dumb? (yes/probably)

Also (epilogue spoilers): is there some sort of side mission giving us closure with the Skinners? Like, there's a gang of total psychopaths hanging out just a stone's throw away from your nice new ranch John, where your wife and son now live! I know Charles said that they're a travelling band and all, but it's still a bit weird.

But the game's still really good.

EDIT: I'm going for a black bar art statement.