Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Finally Chapter 7 in English and it's as wild a ride as I hoped it to be https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kira_kira_precure_a_la_mode_ch07

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Given how we've had 2 Rock and Roll Precure the last 2 years I'm all for Precure Idols saving the Earth as long as they make sure to have one Itano circus as a finisher

Plus it's not like we haven't had music themed seasons before (Suite and to a lesser extent Fresh) so an all idol team could still potentially be good.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Finally Chapter 7 in English and it's as wild a ride as I hoped it to be https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kira_kira_precure_a_la_mode_ch07

god I love how this goes from typical Precure shenanigans to a branding iron in like half a second.

also that ending, oh my god Yukari... :smug: you get it girl

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I swear Hugtto is gonna make me tear up at the end of it, and I'll love it for that

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I will miss these girls once the show wraps up, it's nice to have a season where I like pretty much every character. Also, now that we know Hugtan is a former Cure herself hopefully we'll be able to get all 6 together before the final battle.

If I'm interpreting the brief flashback in the previous episode correctly Dr. Traum apparently has (or had) an actual daughter who Lulu was modeled after, I imagine we'll get some more information regarding that later as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 25, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This episode really felt like Zako was wanting to deal with the one rough spot of Fresh's ending

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cute episode today though I'm more curious about the preview for next week (the end of which seems to display part of a transformation we haven't seen before). I'm also interested in seeing how the whole thing with Lulu is ultimately going to resolve itself (we need her around for future crossovers after all).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Setsuna went back to her world the same with Kurumi and they are still around for Crossovers so the ending of the series means little for Toei in terms of Crossovers

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Setsuna went back to her world the same with Kurumi and they are still around for Crossovers so the ending of the series means little for Toei in terms of Crossovers

Ah of course. Also, Lulu leaving would potentially take Emiru out of action as well seeing as this episode seems to prove they're a package deal like the Futari Wa/Splash Star/Suite duos.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

TBH just from the way they ended this episode and the fact it's episode 41 makes me think Ruru is going to stay cause if she doesn't it'd be super sad and usually they don't do parting like that

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I was prepared for sadness the moment Princess Tutu director teamed up with Rainbow Live writer

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regards to crossovers it's probably best in retrospect to just consider that a separate universe entirely ala Sentai (and Hugtto apparently takes place in the All Stars universe due to the recent in-series crossover a few episodes back). Otherwise you have to deal with stuff like how almost no time has passed between shows (most of the early Cures should be in their late twenties/early thirties by now), multiple different realms with the same name/motif, several nearly world ending events that for some reason only the current team is around for (not to mention that a lot of the various villain groups would have been in direct competition with each other), etc.It's just way too much of a headache to try and rationalize it all.

As alluded to a few posts above, regardless of whether or not Lulu actually returns to the future at the end of the series she'll be back if Toei wants her to, probably without much explanation.

Also if it ends up being true that Star Twinkle is an idol group they should preform together with Emiru and Lulu in the next movie (hell, since the current All Stars films seem to just focus on the most recent three teams these days you could throw Aoi in there as well).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 26, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, it's looking like the Star Twinkle image I posted earlier may be a fake. Regardless, I'm not really sure what else the show could possibly be about besides space/astronomy, idols, or both.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Could be anything. Christmas stars, throwing stars, sea stars...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I doubt that's going to be it but now I kind of want to see what a ninja themed Precure series would be like.

On that subject, Toei should experiment more with this series like they do with Sentai. For example we could have: Dinosaur Cures, Space Cures, Vehicle or Sports themed Cures, time travel (maybe for an anniversary season though that kind of just sounds like Precure ZI-O), a team of adults rather than teenagers (doubtful as that would sort of defeat the purpose of it being a Magical Girl show), a team with public identities from the start(actually that could work pretty well for an idol-based season come to think about it), etc.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 27, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

I doubt that's going to be it but now I kind of want to see what a ninja themed Precure series would be like.

On that subject, Toei should experiment more with this series like they do with Sentai. For example we could have: Dinosaur Cures, Space Cures, Vehicle or Sports themed Cures, time travel (maybe for an anniversary season though that kind of just sounds like Precure ZI-O), a team of adults rather than teenagers (doubtful as that would sort of defeat the purpose of it being a Magical Girl show), a team with public identities from the start(actually that could work pretty well for an idol-based season come to think about it), etc.

Detective Precure seems like an obvious one.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Contact sport precure, the stars are the concussions

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The problem with getting too creative is the series still needs to sell toys and some of the more recent creative Sentai stuff hasn't sold toys (although that could be because those series have had issues),

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dinosaurs might be a safe bet in that regard as it's fairly gender neutral as far as interest among kids goes and it seems to have worked well for Sentai (the fairy could be a little triceratops that ends its sentences with "-cera"). A bird theme could be interesting as well.

As far as the public identities suggestion I brought up, I've always just assumed that aside from genre tradition the real reason the Precure have secret identities is to allow them some semblance of a normal life when they're off duty (I imagine that publicly outing yourself as a superhero would garner a lot of unwanted attention at any rate) as otherwise more often than not their enemies know who they are and their friends and family often wind up being targeted regardless (not to mention the hassle of having to hide your fairies all the time).

Speaking of which, I kind of like how the "fairy" in Maho Girls is entirely manmade (it's literally just a teddy bear enchanted by magic and had nothing to do with the girls receiving their powers as far as I can remember). Somewhat related I wonder if the concept of a government sponsored task force recruited to stop otherworldly threats could work in this series, complete with Cure powers created exclusively by humans.

E: In retrospect a manmade Cure would probably work better as a Sixth rather than a whole team. Or maybe even a Cure created by the enemy that isn't just a copy of the main team (sort of like Dark Cure from HeartCatch only this time with an actual human identity).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 28, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Star Twinkle teaser website open.

The tagline is "Paint the sky (space)! My imagination!"

The kanji used for space is 宇宙 (Uchu), the same space in the context of something like Kyuranger or Fourze. So for now it's looking like next year's theme is space and imagination.

I'm curious if the naming theme this time is going to be planets/moons/stars, constellations, or just space themed stuff in general. Wouldn't be surprised if they threw some Sailor Moon nods in there as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 29, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/RDJlock/status/1058389360549158912

Posting this here too because it's good.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

:yeah:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

One of my favorite things about Hugtto is how respectful the writers are to Henri's character. He isn't a stereotype, he's never the butt of a joke, he's just a dude who likes to wear women's clothes and doesn't care about traditional gender roles and the show doesn't treat this as weird or wrong in the slightest.

So yeah, I'm completely fine with him becoming a Cure and look forward to seeing the next episode for myself.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 3, 2018

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

https://soranews24.com/2018/11/29/adult-precure-fans-learn-anime-game-for-little-girls-can-be-emotionally-devastating-for-grown-ups/

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Shows proving me wrong with good writing is always good

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

His soul also grew heavy when the Cures asked him “Did you smile and laugh a lot today?” or “Are you giving life your all every day?”, because while a kid who just got home from a day of learning new things at school and playing with their friends might respond with an energetic “Yeah!”, ground-down salarymen are more likely to say “No, not really.”

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Needs a hidden Criasu mode where the answer lead you to work for the company in menial labor thus serving as even more of a comment on late stage capitalism

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hugtto 42: Welp, Henri has just become our first (officially named) male Cure. He didn't do a whole lot granted and there was no Mirai Crystal so it's unclear if we're ever going to see Cure Infini again but still cool none the less. We even finally get an explanation as to how Cure Yell's name fits in with the others.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hugtto sure likes to put its cast through hell during an episode

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Hugtto sure likes to put its cast through hell during an episode

To be fair, every season abuses its cast in some form or another, Hugtto just seems to do it more often (hell, emotional distress is literally one of the major themes of the show).

One of my favorite things about this show is how progressive it seems to be, in almost any other anime Henri would be a joke character but here he's just another member of the cast and his quirks aren't treated as weird or wrong in the slightest. Despite a bit of a slow start Hugtto has become one of my favorite seasons and I hope they manage to stick the landing. Though to be fair, Kira Kira was good too so hopefully this trend keeps up in Star Twinkle.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 3, 2018

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Larryb posted:

Hugtto 42: Welp, Henri has just become our first (officially named) male Cure.

Manicure

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering the nature of his transformation and how it gave out on its own after the fight I am kind of curious if we're ever going to see Cure Infini again (even as a cameo in a future All Stars movie) or if this was just a one shot thing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There's a Heartcatch board game.

I don't know much about how it's played but I imagine that instead of going to jail, your fairy dies.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
A supposed leak of the Star Twinkle Pretty Cure's Character designs has been posted online. Here's the picture.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That's just very heavy photoshopping/pixelization of an Aikatsu screencap.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The mascot makes it feel more Pripara than Aikatsu

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

That's just very heavy photoshopping/pixelization of an Aikatsu screencap.

Lol.Nice

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, so far all we have for certain so far is the logo and a brief blurb on the official website ("Draw it into the universe! My own imagination!"). It appears that the theme this time around is space and imagination (not sure how exactly that'll be set up but something like Fourze meets ToQger could potentially be interesting) and will presumably start with a team of 4 (Pink, Blue, Yellow, & Purple). I imagine we'll be getting some more concrete info soon though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 5, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

First official Star Twinkle image along with the names of our first two Cures (there's a second scan out there featuring the same characters so I'm almost certain this one is legit):

https://twitter.com/taconiji_kevin/status/1063275528260481026

Also the show seems to be slated for a February 2019 release which means that Hugtto will be at least 50 episodes in total.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

First official Star Twinkle image along with the names of our first two Cures (there's a second scan out there featuring the same characters so I'm almost certain this one is legit):

https://twitter.com/taconiji_kevin/status/1063275528260481026

Also the show seems to be slated for a February 2019 release which means that Hugtto will be at least 50 episodes in total.

I'd still lean towards fake but who knows during leak season.

Precure always takes New Years off so it's going to be 49 episodes though chances are 49 is the crossover episode for the next season so the actual ending will be 48