Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So did everyones PHQ spawn in a hostile sector? Mine is right on the border/inside of I think Scale Pact territory and I'm constantly getting attacked, it's kind of annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Random pirates, the red means it's a mineral field not hostile. Why they chose to use red and blue for mining when they are commonly hostile / friendly I have no idea. They should have picked better colors. Blue is gas, Purple is mixed.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
The map has a legend button in the top right to explain the clusterfuck that is the map UI.

Took me ages to figure out how to turn off the market data that kept filling my whole screen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pixaal posted:

Random pirates, the red means it's a mineral field not hostile. Why they chose to use red and blue for mining when they are commonly hostile / friendly I have no idea. They should have picked better colors. Blue is gas, Purple is mixed.

The blue isn't bad but yeah the red is a bit offputting.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I've got a good steady income from half a dozen each galaxy traders, silicon miners, and methane miners. I'd like to branch out into station building next. Any tips? Do I need to buy blueprints from a faction, hire a builder, then send them to my build site like in previous games or is the workflow a little different this time?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

xanif posted:

The map has a legend button in the top right to explain the clusterfuck that is the map UI.

Took me ages to figure out how to turn off the market data that kept filling my whole screen.

Yeah, the filters are curiously hidden. Most of my problems with the map have disappeared now I've switched off the UI scale (ie at 1).

And I did find out somewhat accidentally that you can make the UI even smaller.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

NeurosisHead posted:

I've got a good steady income from half a dozen each galaxy traders, silicon miners, and methane miners. I'd like to branch out into station building next. Any tips? Do I need to buy blueprints from a faction, hire a builder, then send them to my build site like in previous games or is the workflow a little different this time?

Yes, yes, and no. Do the main story or the station building tutorial or both. The builder comes to you once you hire them in the "manage build" menu.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

NeurosisHead posted:

Do I need to buy blueprints from a faction, hire a builder, then send them to my build site like in previous games or is the workflow a little different this time?

You can buy them or use scan mode on stations and grab the blueprints from sparklers, which may be the only way to get certain production paths that factions don't sell. Otherwise, yep, rest is basically the same except the building requires supplies rather than just fly and plop.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Where the heck do I find a manager? Every station is full of engineers but no one with any manager skill (except the stations manager who I can't hire).

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Play roulette on capital ships, I found a 4 star pilot before in the crew before. Station spawns never seem to have much talent (Makes sense, no one has picked them up onto a ship I guess?). Ship spawn fodder seems to have random skills in random stats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slickdrac posted:

You can buy them or use scan mode on stations and grab the blueprints from sparklers, which may be the only way to get certain production paths that factions don't sell. Otherwise, yep, rest is basically the same except the building requires supplies rather than just fly and plop.

I would point out that each subfaction also sells modules. For example if you want to make spaceweed, you need to talk to the ministry of finance, not the teladi company.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Popete posted:

Where the heck do I find a manager? Every station is full of engineers but no one with any manager skill (except the stations manager who I can't hire).

okay took ma while to figure this out

first you need a ship with 1 extra crew slot open so you can even hire the fucker. than go find yourself a building ship and land on it, I found two three star managers on my first one. Hire one and than with him as your ships crew, fly to the home station and land. And than open up the map thing, go into the Information panel for the ship and find the crew thing and find the specific guy you hired under that tab. Right click and select comms. And from here you can tell him to work somewhere else. which will pop up another menu, and than you have to go back to the map and select the staiton, right click on it and hit select. which will select the station as the place he works, and than just select his position from the drop down menu.

once you do it once it makes sense, but goddamn otherwise

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Someone needs to make a personnel mod. Just a list of everyone in your employment with all their stats and a drop down or right click to reassign them. Managing these assholes at scale is going to be a massive pain in the rear end. Better, have leveling skills work and a "hire" button. I'm sure someone will mod something mandatory into the game that does this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There already is that list but you can't assign people from it :v: Also leveling skills does work too, it's just very slow.

I agree that a people managing system is gonna be needed. Really you could tie it in with habitats, have them be assignable to train people and consume resources to do it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Morphix posted:

okay took ma while to figure this out

first you need a ship with 1 extra crew slot open so you can even hire the fucker. than go find yourself a building ship and land on it, I found two three star managers on my first one. Hire one and than with him as your ships crew, fly to the home station and land. And than open up the map thing, go into the Information panel for the ship and find the crew thing and find the specific guy you hired under that tab. Right click and select comms. And from here you can tell him to work somewhere else. which will pop up another menu, and than you have to go back to the map and select the staiton, right click on it and hit select. which will select the station as the place he works, and than just select his position from the drop down menu.

once you do it once it makes sense, but goddamn otherwise

Thanks! I was going around to different capital ships but had no luck so far. I'll try to specifically find a constructor.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
How are people finding this game? Got distracted majorly by work over the last week and missed out on all the hubbub just to find the thread jumped 40+ pages. I read up to 20 but it was mostly talking about pre-launch stream :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It has some extremely good systems in it such as the map screen and stationbuilding screen but is marred by a fair few bugs (though less than normal for Egosoft) and some extremely poor documentation and very strange design decisions in some areas. It's also visibly unfinished in other areas.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lunethex posted:

How are people finding this game? Got distracted majorly by work over the last week and missed out on all the hubbub just to find the thread jumped 40+ pages. I read up to 20 but it was mostly talking about pre-launch stream :v:

Janky and very egosoft. One of their better releases, but there's a learning curve on all the processes that shouldn't really exist, and they've managed to find the most rage-inducing tutorial system evah.

I'm enjoying it, around the cursing and 'He's right loving there, why can't he find a way to get there'. It *could* be better, but it's good for an X game.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

OwlFancier posted:

It has some extremely good systems in it such as the map screen and stationbuilding screen but is marred by a fair few bugs (though less than normal for Egosoft) and some extremely poor documentation and very strange design decisions in some areas. It's also visibly unfinished in other areas.

What screams visibly unfinished? Is that a major or minor thing?

Hav posted:

Janky and very egosoft. One of their better releases, but there's a learning curve on all the processes that shouldn't really exist, and they've managed to find the most rage-inducing tutorial system evah.

I'm enjoying it, around the cursing and 'He's right loving there, why can't he find a way to get there'. It *could* be better, but it's good for an X game.

Do AI ships still randomly crash into things and explode like if you were in system? That was always fun until a mod made them bounce off haha

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Lunethex posted:

What screams visibly unfinished? Is that a major or minor thing?

A lot of different things to different degrees. So far I've been able to find the fun in stuff but I'm starting to run out of direction for things. I'm still not really sure how to properly outfit ships for combat or build my own stations to start producing and trading goods.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's some noticeable UI elements that don't do anything because the content isn't there yet. Only one quest, which terminates very abruptly.

It's purely sandbox at the moment, you gotta make your own fun.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The encyclopedia being almost entirely empty, no descriptions for anything..

Turrets not working is a pretty big one.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Do AI ships still randomly crash into things and explode like if you were in system? That was always fun until a mod made them bounce off haha

At the moment, there are a number of AI pathing bugs with temp "fixes" of extremes, to the point where autopilot generally cannot take hull damage when ramming things, and occasionally will (by intention at the moment) just drive through walls and other solid objects to get where they are going. Teladi trade stations are the most glaring example of this besides asteroid belts

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Research telling you that topics require "more" time and resources but they're all free and all take the exact same amount of time is pretty silly. You will research everything before you have the ability to take advantage of the research topics.

Though I have yet to get anything out of the "scan to steal blueprints" research line.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Slickdrac posted:

At the moment, there are a number of AI pathing bugs with temp "fixes" of extremes, to the point where autopilot generally cannot take hull damage when ramming things, and occasionally will (by intention at the moment) just drive through walls and other solid objects to get where they are going. Teladi trade stations are the most glaring example of this besides asteroid belts

To be fair just straight up 'you don't take damage on autopilot' is better than x3 where I've died way too often autopiloting into a gate. Or into the dock.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Leal posted:

Research telling you that topics require "more" time and resources but they're all free and all take the exact same amount of time is pretty silly. You will research everything before you have the ability to take advantage of the research topics.

Though I have yet to get anything out of the "scan to steal blueprints" research line.

I have stolen blueprints so I know it works but all I've gotten is a Teladi 4 way connector and something else I can't remember.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Getting the teleportation research done easily is nice though

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Gorelab posted:

To be fair just straight up 'you don't take damage on autopilot' is better than x3 where I've died way too often autopiloting into a gate. Or into the dock.

Autopilot is extremely limited though, it's only for getting from point A to nearby the point B you specify, it won't dock for you, it won't continually follow. You have to have a pilot to do move advanced commands than "move here"

Which means, it's still entirely possible for AP to get you blazing towards a station, turn itself off when it gets close, and troll you with enough momentum that you can't avoid slamming it without the AP protection.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

My first accidental test of teleportation was me teleporting to a parked Vulture as I passed the station on the highway, resulting in my pilot-less Discoverer looping the galaxy over and over.

Sending it autopilot commands did nothing, since there was no pilot, and I wasn't in it. I had to fly the Vulture over to the highway and wait for the fucker to pass by so I could teleport back to it and pull the reins.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slickdrac posted:

Which means, it's still entirely possible for AP to get you blazing towards a station, turn itself off when it gets close, and troll you with enough momentum that you can't avoid slamming it without the AP protection.

So what you're saying is that the AP has become more state of the art and realistic :v:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
All complaints aside, the no loads at all thing is impressive as hell.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Squiggle posted:

My first accidental test of teleportation was me teleporting to a parked Vulture as I passed the station on the highway, resulting in my pilot-less Discoverer looping the galaxy over and over.

Sending it autopilot commands did nothing, since there was no pilot, and I wasn't in it. I had to fly the Vulture over to the highway and wait for the fucker to pass by so I could teleport back to it and pull the reins.

Sounds like an easy way to keep station prices along the beltway up to date if the radar still worked?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

OwlFancier posted:

So what you're saying is that the AP has become more state of the art and realistic :v:

Autopilot by Tesla.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lunethex posted:

Collisions have been 'de-emphasized' while they work on the AI, meaning that you can actually come to a stop by rubbing too close.

Most I've seen from hitting a 'roid at 3800 m/s was 30% hull damage, but I still don't like tempting fate. The autopilot has only tried to kill me _twice_, and my relief pilot has 0 stars in piloting, so it's kinda interesting when I let the Paranid drive.

Tell me more.

Popete posted:

The encyclopedia being almost entirely empty, no descriptions for anything..

Timeline is entirely missing.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

Tell me more.

Profitssssss literally everywhere

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Did they remove sedatives from station traders? I cant find any of them anywhere.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Hav posted:

Timeline is entirely missing.

Timeline unlocks/fills by doing the signal tower repairs.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

FrickenMoron posted:

Did they remove sedatives from station traders? I cant find any of them anywhere.

I haven't seen any since the last patch. I think they've changed the craft recipes to require at least one drop instead of just being able to flip kits.

Edit: ^^^ well gently caress me. I don't think I've had one of those yet.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Slickdrac posted:

Sounds like an easy way to keep station prices along the beltway up to date if the radar still worked?

...it did...

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Squiggle posted:

...it did...

:hmmyes:

That's pretty funny and certainly easier than dropping satellites everywhere