Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

last spring the potholes went down to the original brick on the street i live on

i have no idea if thats good or bad

i'm assuming very bad

we had a pothole around here that eventually got deep enough that you could bottom out your car in it. before it was fixed they put a traffic cone in it (because when there's a puddle there you literally couldn't tell it existed) and you could only see the top like, ~third of the fuckin' cone. as far as i can tell that road was built on loose sand because that poo poo erodes scary-fast the second you give it a chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that rules

tell your city to mill the roads down to the brick if they wanna save money

i assume snowplows would do bad things to brick?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

i assume snowplows would do bad things to brick?

most definitely

but the road wants to be brick it's telling you so

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
bring back log roads imo. :colbert:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

well they're more intelligent than me, because i have a hard time recognizing a lot the people i run into

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

brick/cobblestone/paver/sett roads are cool as hell

people drive all slow on them and they make a neat noise

p dece for drainage too since they slow the water down and give a good grip without ponding

also they kinda make you use minimal pavement markings which looks great

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

President Beep posted:

mewse
May 2, 2006

And that tank was Albert Einstein

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

christ i can almost feel the pain of the driver's head banging around against poo poo in there

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i know it's a tank but i'm kind of curdling in sheer terror at the idea of doing this

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Ciaphas posted:

i know it's a tank but i'm kind of curdling in sheer terror at the idea of doing this

that's worse because if it goes in it'll be impossible to escape

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What is Musk's role that he's still making public statements?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Discendo Vox posted:

What is Musk's role that he's still making public statements?

obnoxious conceited rear end in a top hat with a big mouth

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
He’s still CEO of Tesla, the SEC only made him step down as chairman of the board

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Munkeymon posted:

that's worse because if it goes in it'll be impossible to escape

i hadn't even got that far lol, i got as far as "oh god it's going to fall oh god it's going to fall oh god it's going to fall" ad nauseum

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Roosevelt posted:

obnoxious conceited rear end in a top hat with a big mouth
turn your monitor on!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

DELETE CASCADE posted:

He’s still CEO of Tesla, the SEC only made him step down as chairman of the board

Uh if you recall he changed his title to Nothing of Tesla during his big crybaby reaction to the SEC's slap on the wrist

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

oh right sorry

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shame Boy posted:

we had a pothole around here that eventually got deep enough that you could bottom out your car in it. before it was fixed they put a traffic cone in it (because when there's a puddle there you literally couldn't tell it existed) and you could only see the top like, ~third of the fuckin' cone. as far as i can tell that road was built on loose sand because that poo poo erodes scary-fast the second you give it a chance

draw graffiti dicks around the potholes to embarrass them into fixing them like that viral photo dude

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

draw graffiti dicks around the potholes to embarrass them into fixing them like that viral photo dude

dont sign your pots

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

President Beep posted:

dont sign your pots

lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lord Stimperor posted:

Other than that the only cool station wagons are these:

:colbert:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

:hmmyes:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

the wheel choice on the oettinger instantly ruins the car both from a perfomance and comfort perspective... and they look extremely bad like all ultra low profile tires

the allroad is also considered an insanely stupid car over here but then again, we mainly designed it to ship to the US

commies blue avant post is cool and good

E: also use some thumbnail tags at least if you are already shitposting

Oh poo poo I didn't even realize it was you Kotex.

I mean I really try to give you some credit but you are like a magnet, attracted to Germanies worst car creations ever.

I guess I'll have to thank you tho because if no one bought our lemons we wouldn't have the reserves to make the actual good cars.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 5, 2018

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I used to date a girl who owns one of these. I could not take living in her shadow like that perpetually so I had to go

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 5, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:ssh: Timing Chains from hell.

I'll take a Timing Belt 2.2l 350 whp 5 cylinder over that poo poo any day.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lord Stimperor posted:

I used to date a girl who owns one of these. I could not take living in her shadow like that perpetually so I had to go

Funny enough, my neighbor just bought one with a transplanted 24V 6 cylinder.

E: also buying an audi without a 5 cylinder should be considered heresy. Unless it has 2 of them and it's actually a v10 (and a Lamborghini)

mewse
May 2, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

:ssh: Timing Chains from hell.

I'll take a Timing Belt 2.2l 350 whp 5 cylinder over that poo poo any day.

My brainworms are going :hmmyes:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:stare:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bonus points: That's the BACK, the gearbox, side of the engine. You have to remove the engine to do any chain maintenance, and the chain guides require replacement around 90-100k miles.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Once you've got an audi in the service position, you're halfway to pulling the engine anyways.

Also, sexy wagons,

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

antikythera mechanism restoration looking good

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Once you've got an audi in the service position, you're halfway to pulling the engine anyways.

Also, sexy wagons,

Very sexy wagon.

On the 5 cylinder, you can do the timing belt without any 'service position' bullshit.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

Also, sexy wagons,

Please put that in my driveway. Thanks

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

this is my favorite pothole video. bunch of jersey guys just delighted these cars are getting hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDSXYrbl8Zg

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FCKGW posted:

this is my favorite pothole video. bunch of jersey guys just delighted these cars are getting hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDSXYrbl8Zg

road hazard for tires is like the only cheap insurance product i've gotten good use out of

i assume midwesterners are being subsidized by californians buying it for no reason

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

road hazard for tires is like the only cheap insurance product i've gotten good use out of

i assume midwesterners are being subsidized by californians buying it for no reason

huh, i had no idea this was a thing. i guess i just always assumed buying a new fuckin' tire every year or so was just one of those things that everyone did as part of throwing money into the money hole of car ownership

e: oh wait it's the thing they try to sell you when you get a new tire isn't it, i was imagining it was something extra you add to your car insurance

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 6, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shame Boy posted:

huh, i had no idea this was a thing. i guess i just always assumed buying a new fuckin' tire every year or so was just one of those things that everyone did as part of throwing money into the money hole of car ownership

e: oh wait it's the thing they try to sell you when you get a new tire isn't it, i was imagining it was something extra you add to your car insurance

It's probably the latter, and it's useful because stupid poo poo does happen. Usually they end up prorating the tire cost based on the tread wear.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
lol at living somewhere a whole tire needs to get replaced each year.

depart the forbidden zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fishmech posted:

lol at living somewhere a whole tire needs to get replaced each year.

depart the forbidden zone

the performance tires for my racing unicycle are of a very soft compound. what do you want from me!