Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004

Hav posted:

I haven't seen any since the last patch. I think they've changed the craft recipes to require at least one drop instead of just being able to flip kits.

Edit: ^^^ well gently caress me. I don't think I've had one of those yet.

Guess I should be glad I made a few million just crafting on each station I boarded while I could. That did seem a bit too easy, although shooting crystals isn't much harder/time consuming and can be more profitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Squiggle posted:

...it did...

:hmmyes:

Ghost Ride the Disco

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Gorelab posted:

To be fair just straight up 'you don't take damage on autopilot' is better than x3 where I've died way too often autopiloting into a gate. Or into the dock.

Maybe no one else has tested it but collision damage is completely off. I had to get up while mid travel speed towards a station and my ship slammed right into it bounced off and took no damage. I have no engaged auto-pilot since it keeps deciding that after arriving to where I tell it it's going to now go to the active mission's way point and move me several sectors leaving me very confused.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

That's pretty funny and certainly easier than dropping satellites everywhere

I saw a mod that was a satellite that hits every station in system and gets pricing. It feels a bit cheap to me, but so does that fact that I need to put sats around each station. If every trader in the Galaxy did that the station would be encased in a cloud of sats.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

pixaal posted:

Maybe no one else has tested it but collision damage is completely off. I had to get up while mid travel speed towards a station and my ship slammed right into it bounced off and took no damage. I have no engaged auto-pilot since it keeps deciding that after arriving to where I tell it it's going to now go to the active mission's way point and move me several sectors leaving me very confused.

I've definitely taken damage from ramming stuff. I once got smashed for like 60% of my hull hitting an asteroid in travel mode.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Gorelab posted:

I've definitely taken damage from ramming stuff. I once got smashed for like 60% of my hull hitting an asteroid in travel mode.

It was turned off in the 1.2 when they mentioned turning it off because of auto pilot. I got a few game overs from AFK traveling into stations in 1.0 and 1.1.

I could also have a bugged ship.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

Gorelab posted:

To be fair just straight up 'you don't take damage on autopilot' is better than x3 where I've died way too often autopiloting into a gate. Or into the dock.

My autopilot put me inside of a gate last night :downs:

that is, I was inside its geometry and had to weasel my way out by tricking the game into thinking I was actually outside of the gate

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Collision damage isn't off, you just have to go really fast. It's a lot more forgiving than X3.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Astroniomix posted:

Collision damage isn't off, you just have to go really fast. It's a lot more forgiving than X3.

Well then I hit a bug bouncing off a station at 6km/s after reading a patch note that said collision damage was disabled for autopilot and assumed they turned it off period. I'll try testing it tonight and seeing if my ship is bugged, or if it was something unique. I haven't really tried repeating it since getting into the habit of smashing into stations would be bad. Though I appear to do that anyway.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

pixaal posted:

It was turned off in the 1.2 when they mentioned turning it off because of auto pilot. I got a few game overs from AFK traveling into stations in 1.0 and 1.1.

I could also have a bugged ship.

This brings up a question I had. X3/TC/AP had a "run game when minimized" setting, yet I can't seem to find one in X4, and it seems the game pauses when you minimize it. Is it hidden somewhere or are we SOL as far as letting poo poo run in background?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Putting the game into windowed borderless seems to work.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

Astroniomix posted:

it wasn't the first time i got stuck in geometry - usually I can get out with travel mode, but this time it didn't work

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Oh god Auto trade is hilaously broken.

I am however making good money setting up space fuel jobs.

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

it wasn't the first time i got stuck in geometry - usually I can get out with travel mode, but this time it didn't work

Swap to your pilot. Apparently the NPC has better luck clipping back out.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>
edit: nevermind

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Yeah teleport should just be unlocked from the start but hopping out of the system or far enough away seems to unstick ships. I would definetly rush the base quest bullshit just to unlock it or eventually the ai will stick a ship somewhere you cant get it back, so on that note always at least have a lovely crewmemeber you can make a pilot on every ship too.

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

edit: nevermind

Like the username. It is what I feel like as a first time X player.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm a big dumb idiot, but every time I get a station repair mission and I fly up to the first noise signal and decrypt it the mission fails.

Am I missing something?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The biggest failure of X4 is this thread's title not being a khaak joke.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Popete posted:

Maybe I'm a big dumb idiot, but every time I get a station repair mission and I fly up to the first noise signal and decrypt it the mission fails.

Am I missing something?

You need to repair it with your suit laser, not steal from it.

Speaking of suit lasers:

PSA: unmanned ships of any size (yes that includes the paranid destroyer) can be claimed by EVA'ing, firing an EMP bomb at the ship and then repairing the red spots that pop up. Marines are only necessary for capturing manned ships.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 6, 2018

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

xanif posted:

The map has a legend button in the top right to explain the clusterfuck that is the map UI.

Took me ages to figure out how to turn off the market data that kept filling my whole screen.

Turning off the market data is the only thing the tutorial has you do to show how filters work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Popete posted:

Am I missing something?

If someone asked you to fix their phone and you instead started installing a phone tap, do you imagine they would be very happy?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

If someone asked you to fix their phone and you instead started installing a phone tap, do you imagine they would be very happy?

Since the thing disappears either way its an easy mistake to make in this game and based on the reddit a really common one.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

Speaking of suit lasers:

PSA: unmanned ships of any size (yes that includes the paranid destroyer) can be claimed by EVA'ing, firing an EMP bomb at the ship and then repairing the red spots that pop up. Marines are only necessary for capturing manned ships.

I would probably have known this if the drat tutorial wasn't bugged. Thanks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Since the thing disappears either way its an easy mistake to make in this game and based on the reddit a really common one.

I guess but like, it says fix them, not scan them. And it tells you "leak scanned, mission failed" when you do it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Did they fix repair guns destroying leaks? My guild is probably confused as to why I can fix their satellites no problem but I always destroy their data leaks.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Do you scan outside of scan mode? Because I could see that being obnoxious, at least in scan mode too you have to really really get up in there which helps avoid accidents when looking for one.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Gorelab posted:

Do you scan outside of scan mode? Because I could see that being obnoxious, at least in scan mode too you have to really really get up in there which helps avoid accidents when looking for one.

You find them by scanning, and the repair laser is short range, so you end up scanning them accidentally sometimes. That and the tutorial encourages scanning things for goodies, so people naturally do so.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No you don't scan outside of scan mode, nor do you need to use scan mode to fix quest leaks, because the game highlights them for you with target markers.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hobbesmaster posted:

Speaking of suit lasers:

Any clue where i can find secure containers to make the EMP bombs?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Try the pirate vendors if you don't have luck with drops; they also sell EMP bombs (not the launcher, ammo) but it costs like 100k.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Random drops afaik.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Try the pirate vendors if you don't have luck with drops; they also sell EMP bombs (not the launcher, ammo) but it costs like 100k.

Do you mean shops in pirate sectors? Coz I need myself an emp bomb, can't find a drat lode stone anywhere.

The newest patch fixed the infinite money exploit where you send your ship to downgrade it at a wharf and then cancel the order before it gets there.

But at that point you might as well cheat engine yourself some Creds.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

"Free port".

Lodestones come from asteroids iirc.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

The biggest failure of X4 is this thread's title not being a khaak joke.

After about four hours, the universe seems to run out of Khaak.

There’s also probably a joke in there about “if after four hours ... call your doctor.”

I’m torn because I’ve really been enjoying the game and don’t want to stop playing, but it feels like the smart play is to wait until it’s a bit more fixed up and maybe has some mods.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
So I got a new long range scanner ping today - don't know if it's the first time I've run into them and they've always been there, or if it was fixed/enabled in the patch.

It's a lower tone with blue rings that turn out to be Wreckages. The wreckage isn't targetable in the ship and doesn't show up in radar. Mine were up in Hewa's Twin V (or IV, can't remember which).

There's also a couple different types of asteroids - the long range scanner gives a higher pitch yellow ping for flattish brown asteroids with rust-colored patches. They explode violently when you shot their armor all the way down, taking out your ship. In The Void I ran into asteroid fields with bright yellow glowing asteroids -- probably highly radioactive since going into those fields eat your shields and then your armor (I think there was a geiger counter sound effect). It's between a couple gates in my game so civilian traffic is going through there and getting down to 70% armor by the time they clear them.

--- --- --- ---

I figure I'll clean up achievements with this save, and once they finish implementing the game's features (let alone fix bugs), I'll do a modded save to remove some of the tedium of the scanning nonsense.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whats a space pilot gotta do to get some kha'ak around here?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

There is a severe lack of kha'ak in this universe.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

X4: After about four hours, the universe seems to run out of Kha'ak

So did you know that you can click the small icons on your first person radar to select things like security lockboxes, etc., that you want to navigate too? I sure didn't last night until finally trying it as a last ditch effort doing a mission to rescue medical supplies from a destroyed transport. Like, you can click it in the map after finding it with the long range scanner but it seems like you should have been able to select or navigate to an object from the map screen, but lo and behold, it's from the in ship radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
oh my god you can rightclick drag the galaxy map to tilt it and get a feel for where things are in relation to Z 0. Nice for getting a feel for how to align stations to highways and stuff