Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

impulse buying any used car without an inspection is stupid.

can this be a thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
AI meets BFC: Car Buying Thread: No rentals or salvage; get an inspection

Or "Get a PPI" and people will ask "what's a PPI" and learn.

I remember there was a success story where the goon went "I'm gonna buy it because I always wanted one" but then agreed to get a PPI and came back with "The PPI showed it's a piece of junk, I walked, time to keep looking"

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 1, 2018

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I currently drive a 98 CRV with well over 200k miles. It has good tires, and a recent timing belt change with a full tune-up. However, some unlicensed rear end in a top hat hit me in the driver's door and I'm ready to replace the car. I've been driving it like this for 6 months so it's not unsafe, just ugly.

My wife has a 2017 Prius and I really like it. The only thing I'm worried about is losing some of my interior/cargo area because I mountain bike and do the maintenance crap around our home. I want to go test drive a 2019 Camry Hybrid because it gets nearly the same mileage and would be a little bigger.

Proposed Budget: Around $25-30k, would obviously like to spend less but I keep cars for a very long time and do my own maintenance.
New or Used: New preferably
Body Style: I love wagons, but sedans are OK. Must have a back-seat as I have an infant.
How will you be using the car?: General commuting, and I'll put a hitch on it so I can carry my mountain bike.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, ease of maintenance, cost, and safety are all important to me. I don't need a ton of horsepower, but what I do need are cruise control, a decent stereo, and a comfortable ride. I have enjoyed Toyotas over all other makes, and absolutely refuse to get a GM or Chrysler. The Japanese are winning for a reason.

Any other cars you can suggest? I will likely be buying over the next month or two. I'm selling a rental home so I was hoping to wait until then, unless there's a screaming deal I can get.

I've seen a few 2019 Camry Hybrids listed for about $26.5k and that seems to be about as cheap as I can find.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do you need an independent ppi for new cars ?

Will the dealers even let you ?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

euphronius posted:

Do you need an independent ppi for new cars ?

Will the dealers even let you ?

no - its warrantied and its under consumer protection laws

Nocheez posted:

My wife has a 2017 Prius and I really like it. The only thing I'm worried about is losing some of my interior/cargo area because I mountain bike and do the maintenance crap around our home. I want to go test drive a 2019 Camry Hybrid because it gets nearly the same mileage and would be a little bigger.

Camry has less interior volume

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Subaru Outback?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The Camry is a superb passenger vehicle. It’s extremely comfortable in both front and back seats for travelers. Good handling, low road noise, and plenty of power.

It is a bad cargo vehicle, and even more so for the hybrid Camry — only one of the back seats folds down with an itty bitty window (1sqft) that you can put something long through.

I have a hybrid Camry, and I love it, but most ikea runs use my wife’s Escape.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

no - its warrantied and its under consumer protection laws

Agreed, but with that said it is still worth an up close inspection. I don't consider it a big problem considering it took me years to notice it, but if I'd looked closer and seen that the dealer had hastily installed (and then removed because gently caress paying for it) an aftermarket alarm of some sort on my CR-V, I would've told them to shove it until they found me a car they hadn't put vampire taps on.

Nocheez: Why not another crossover if cargo room is a focus? CR-V, CX-5 are both excellent. I'm sure Toyota hasn't hosed the RAV4 up at all.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

DNK posted:

The Camry is a superb passenger vehicle. It’s extremely comfortable in both front and back seats for travelers. Good handling, low road noise, and plenty of power.

It is a bad cargo vehicle, and even more so for the hybrid Camry — only one of the back seats folds down with an itty bitty window (1sqft) that you can put something long through.

I have a hybrid Camry, and I love it, but most ikea runs use my wife’s Escape.

What year is your hybrid Camry? I was told that the newest model keeps the same trunk space.

edit:
"Cargo

You don't lose out on any trunk space by opting for the Camry Hybrid over its nonhybrid twin. That's unusual for a hybrid car, as many automakers shrink the trunks of their nonhybrid sedans to make room for a battery pack in the hybrid version. The Camry Hybrid's 15.1-cubic-foot trunk is exceptionally spacious for a hybrid sedan, and it has a low liftover height for easier loading. A 60/40 split folding rear seat is standard."

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 5, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They might not have eaten into the trunk for the battery, but it sounds like they had to put the battery in place of some of the passthrough area.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nocheez: Why not another crossover if cargo room is a focus? CR-V, CX-5 are both excellent. I'm sure Toyota hasn't hosed the RAV4 up at all.

I don't want a new CR-V, my mother in-law has had a couple recently and had some stupid issues (battery draining after a couple days away, etc). A CX-5 is alright, but I prefer driving Toyotas. I like their layout for steering wheel controls, etc.

The RAV4 is nice but way more expensive in hybrid trim, and the gas mileage is far below the Prius and Camry.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

There's a brand new Rav4 coming out any day now, and it looks a lot better than the outgoing Rav4. If you're really into Toyotas you might want to wait for it.

Also remember that MPG is a deceiving number because it is not a linear scale. Not all "units" of MPG are equal. The marginal value of each additional MPG drops off pretty quickly after ~30. Gaining 5mpg from 15 to 20 is huge. Gaining 5mpg from 35 to 40 is almost nothing.

10,000 miles @ 15mpg = 666.7 gal
10,000 miles @ 20mpg = 5000 gal
net savings = 166.7 gal
at $3/gal that's $500

10,000 miles @ 35mpg = 285.7 gal
10,000 miles @ 40mpg = 250 gal
net savings = 35.7 gal
at $3/gal that's $107

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 5, 2018

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Rav4 Hybrid MPG - 34/30hwy
Camry Hybrid MPG - 51/53hwy
Prius Hybrid MPG - 54/50hwy (my wife gets around 52 on average, so this checks out)

The more I post, the more I realize that I think I know what to do. Test drive the Camry, buy it if it's good, if not get another Prius.

edit: hope this link works.
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/compare?trims=None_13986-401561_13691-396862

Looks like the Camry has more interior space but a smaller cargo area, but the Prius counts everything up to the glass and no way am I going to be driving around with poo poo piled that high.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 5, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the camry 100% has less useful storage volume than the prius despite being bigger

i think on balance i would prefer the hybrid Accord if I were going to get a generic Japanese midsize, you should probably test drive that too

congrats: you are the first person without the last name Toyoda that prefers driving a Toyota to driving a Mazda (what in the gently caress?)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the camry 100% has less useful storage volume than the prius despite being bigger

i think on balance i would prefer the hybrid Accord if I were going to get a generic Japanese midsize, you should probably test drive that too

congrats: you are the first person without the last name Toyoda that prefers driving a Toyota to driving a Mazda (what in the gently caress?)

I haven't driven many Mazdas, to be fair. The gap in mileage is big, and the reliability may or may not be similar to Toyota. I had a 99 Miata for a while but that's not relevant.

I drive a lot of different rentals for my work, and I choose Toyotas because they don't leave me stranded (thanks, Jeep!) and my phone connects properly every time. While I appreciate a car that drives well, I'm getting a family appliance here. No zoom zoom for this old man, not anymore.

I'll have to check the Accord out, good call!

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
My 2005 buick with 280km on it seemingly has a hosed up head-gasket and a basket of other issues making it no longer safe to drive. I'm wanting to replace it before the holidays.

Budget: $7000 max
Needs: Decently reliable car for city and highway driving (most days city, a few highway trips). I really don't want to sink tons of repair money into it.

I've made a basic spreadsheet of what looks like reasonable deals in my area. My mom's boyfriend is a bus mechanic and they are saying I shouldn't get anything but a 6 cylinder car. My price range and preferences make this challenging and my mom's advice is sketchy at best. Therefore I am looking to internet strangers to help point me in the right direction. What is most important? Kms, year, make, engine? I just want to drive around.

This has 12 cars that are reasonable for me to buy. Thoughts? Spending less is preferable, provided it won't cost me more in the long run.

Alizee fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 5, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

how much do you drive per year? do you drive by yourself or do you take other people?

can you fill out the template like a good citizen?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Alizee posted:

What is most important? Kms, year, make, engine? I just want to drive around.

Quite frankly, when you’re buying cars in this price range, the most important thing is the previous owner(s). Treat it like you’re interviewing them for a job. You can’t tell from a spreadsheet whether an owner was a meticulous granny who kept records and only drove to church on Sundays, or a hotheaded teen who did burnouts in the parking lot and didn’t change the oil in the last 30,000 miles.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Proposed Budget: $7000 CAD
New or Used: Used
Body Style: sedan or coupe
How will you be using the car?: Generally city driving with 1-2 people. Sometimes I do short road trips 2-4 hours. I live in canada, and winter driving is the norm. I like a good sound system but honestly just want a reliable driver. I drive around 15,000 km a year.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, minimal maintenance, cost

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nocheez posted:

I currently drive a 98 CRV with well over 200k miles. It has good tires, and a recent timing belt change with a full tune-up. However, some unlicensed rear end in a top hat hit me in the driver's door and I'm ready to replace the car. I've been driving it like this for 6 months so it's not unsafe, just ugly.

Proposed Budget: Around $25-30k, would obviously like to spend less but I keep cars for a very long time and do my own maintenance.
New or Used: New preferably
Body Style: I love wagons, but sedans are OK. Must have a back-seat as I have an infant.
How will you be using the car?: General commuting, and I'll put a hitch on it so I can carry my mountain bike.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, ease of maintenance, cost, and safety are all important to me. I don't need a ton of horsepower, but what I do need are cruise control, a decent stereo, and a comfortable ride. I have enjoyed Toyotas over all other makes, and absolutely refuse to get a GM or Chrysler. The Japanese are winning for a reason.

Any other cars you can suggest? I will likely be buying over the next month or two. I'm selling a rental home so I was hoping to wait until then, unless there's a screaming deal I can get.

I've seen a few 2019 Camry Hybrids listed for about $26.5k and that seems to be about as cheap as I can find.

Camry Hybrid or Camry I4 is a great choice. If you are happy with how it looks and drives and dont mind telling people you drive a Camry, do it. Its a great car.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alizee posted:

Proposed Budget: $7000 CAD
New or Used: Used
Body Style: sedan or coupe
How will you be using the car?: Generally city driving with 1-2 people. Sometimes I do short road trips 2-4 hours. I live in canada, and winter driving is the norm. I like a good sound system but honestly just want a reliable driver. I drive around 15,000 km a year.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, minimal maintenance, cost
7k for a canadian car is really cheap to get anything that wont have problems. So you really will have to do your due diligence.

If you can drive manual
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/mazda/m...%204G9&sprx=250

Otherwise
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/chevrol...%204G9&sprx=250

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/hyundai/elantra/st%20catharines/ontario/19_10904220_/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=9_15_17&pc=L1H%204G9&sprx=250

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/kia/for...%204G9&sprx=250

But really, make it 10k and you can get a good car that will last you 5-10 years instead

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Sorry for not posting, I don't drive manual. Thank you for the links you provided.

Is there any problem with these options?

So far friends and family have recommended this as the best option:
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/honda/a...%201E7&sprx=100
No accidents on it

Here's a few others
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/chevrol...%201E7&sprx=100

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/hyundai...%201E7&sprx=100

Alizee fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 6, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alizee posted:

Sorry for not posting, I don't drive manual. Thank you for the links you provided.

Is there any problem with these options?

So far friends and family have recommended this as the best option:
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/honda/a...%201E7&sprx=100
No accidents on it

Here's a few others

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/hyundai...%201E7&sprx=100

That Accord is suspiciously cheap for mileage/options/year. Might have been in an accident, make sure you get the CarFax and a private inspection. Also, those generation Accords with the v6 had a lot of tranny problems, so be cognizant of that. That gen accords ,especially the v6's , are closer to a normal car in reliability than a traditional honda.

I'd avoid the cruze turbo's and get a regular one instead. The natural life of the turbo gets into expensive range once you are going used, and the type of people that buy cheap chev turbos are not the people whose used car you want to buy.

The accent is ok, but if you spend a bit extra and get an elantra or sonata instead its a worlds better car.

2009 malibu is older than what I'd reconnmend, but they were a best buy back in the day... but still, rather up the budget and try to get a 2012 malibu if that is your thing.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
More cheap cars..

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/kia/forte/concord/ontario/5_41073855_20161212205855299/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&ursrc=ppl&sprx=100
Kia

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/mazda/mazda3/gatineau/quebec/5_41763993_20120117162530784/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=1_10_10&sprx=100
Mazda3

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/chevrolet/cruze/gatineau/quebec/5_41671971_20110328072420126/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=9_12_12&sprx=100
Cruze

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/toyota/matrix/gatineau/quebec/5_41399471_20180305205802592/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=1_2_2&sprx=100
Matrix

In your price range I guess I'd buy the Matrix...

But if you somehow got to 10 grand there are a ton of cars that are so much better and will last way longer...

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/chevrol...=1_4_4&sprx=100
2014 malibu

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/toyota/...=2_2_2&sprx=100
2010 camry with under 100k km

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/mazda/mazda3/caledonia/ontario/5_38168138_on20080204112819796/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&ursrc=ppl&sprx=100
2014 mazda3

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Basically, try to avoid honda v6s because they always seem to have transmission problems. I4s are fine.
There is almost no car that msrped under 30k sold in the last decade where the 6 is worth it over the 4. Modern 4s are perfectly quick for DVD purposes.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
It's interesting you guys are mentioning this because the people I've been getting advice from one of which is a bus mechanic said the V6 was a benefit and to stay away from l4s :(

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The only exception to that rule is certain american V6 are actually pretty bulletproof. The ford truck v6s were great (NOT THE ecoboosts, the na). The GM 3.6 DI v6 is an amazing powerplant that is fairly bulletproof and used in everything from the impala to the camaro to some of their mid size SUVs.

The old gm 3800 V6 was a great engine for its time , powered the grand prix/buicks etc and was a workhorse.

The new Toyota V6 in their camry's looks amazing.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alizee posted:

It's interesting you guys are mentioning this because the people I've been getting advice from one of which is a bus mechanic said the V6 was a benefit and to stay away from l4s :(

Is this an older guy? Cars built in the 60-90s , the v6 were generally more reliable, hardier engines. I'd say the inverse is true today, but its really a model by model, make by make basis. Even the "legends" of automotive reliablity have made a few stinkers.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Yeah he's an older guy 63. But he still keeps up to date on stuff for the most part. I'm going to take a look at the Accord and the Accent. It's really not in my budget to be spending more than the $7000. The only reason I'm buying a replacement car is because the Buick's headgasket is blown, I have no air coming into my cabin and I have yet to put my snowtires on. It's not in safe driving condition anymore and it has 285km on it and I don't want to spend another penny on it. Also, I have lots of other debt to pay off monthly and I don't want a car payment long term.

I haven't called about the Malibu, but I have a feeling the low mileage, cheap price tag + no mention of being accident free means it's had problems.

In a few years time I will be in a much better position to make a larger purchase.

Alizee fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 6, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Good luck on your car buying. I believe there are two class action lawsuits about that generation Accord as well. One for burning oil / high consumption and the other for chronic premature rear brake failure. So make sure those aren't a problem on that car...

Please read this "buying used" review before you buy one.. its just not a regular bulletproof honda like 95% of their other models.
http://www.autos.ca/used-car-reviews/used-vehicle-review-honda-accord-2008-2012/

Heres one for the accent too
http://www.autos.ca/used-car-reviews/used-vehicle-review-hyundai-accent-2012-2015/

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 6, 2018

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Thank you zapplez for bearing with me. I appreciate the used reviews. I didn't see those, I was looking mainly at edmunds reviews. I read the review for the accord and it suggests the the oil burning is just for the l4. Anyway at the very least you've given me more to consider. This is my first car purchase alone so I'm trying my best :)

[edit] Also to let you know I did look into the cars you linked me and appreciate you searching them. The one that seemed to best fit me was the mazda 3, but it had multiple owners and an accident on file.

Alizee fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 6, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

More than half of the top ten selling vehicles in the US are only available as four cylinders - Corolla, Civic, RAV4, CRV, Rogue, and Equinox.

If you don't have any particular reason to want more power out of your car, there's no reason to want a V6 over any modern I4. For a commuter they're just going to cost more to buy, more to fuel, and more to maintain.

Also - are you only looking at dealerships? At the low end of the market like that, you pay a big premium for a dealership, and you lose the ability to see who actually owned it last.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I have been looking at dealerships for the financing option. The idea behind the V6 was mostly due to a relatives mechanic opinion and my girlfriends father's opinion with the idea of having more power when necessary.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Alizee posted:

I have been looking at dealerships for the financing option. The idea behind the V6 was mostly due to a relatives mechanic opinion and my girlfriends father's opinion with the idea of having more power when necessary.

If you want an old guy mechanic’s contrasting opinion, check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGrtbd9cdEU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

zapplez posted:

I'd avoid the cruze turbo's and get a regular one instead. The natural life of the turbo gets into expensive range once you are going used, and the type of people that buy cheap chev turbos are not the people whose used car you want to buy.

The 1.4l turbo big advantage was that it used a timing chain while the 1.8l NA engine had a belt. Otherwise it's a pretty mild turbo and I don't think they were too problematic.

The accurate version of the advice should be "If you must buy an American car then I guess buy the V6 you dumb racist". There wasn't anything particularly "good" about American V6 engines but American 4cyl engines were until recently almost all unredeemable garbage, that mostly got the same fuel economy as the V6 while also being slow as dogshit and had pressed on plastic cam gears and other such nonsense.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the 3800 had the singular virtue of being unkillable and also offering decent performance for the time period

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

zapplez posted:

Camry Hybrid or Camry I4 is a great choice. If you are happy with how it looks and drives and dont mind telling people you drive a Camry, do it. Its a great car.

I'm in my late 30s and I've got a family, why would I care what other people think of what I drive?

Thanks for the input, hoping to get a test drive in the next week or so.

edit: shameful snipe

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nocheez posted:

I'm in my late 30s and I've got a family, why would I care what other people think of what I drive?

same.

I have a 4 cyl Camry. It owns completely.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nocheez posted:

You'd be surprised the amount of people in their 30s,40s,50s, etc that will buy a piece of poo poo like a jeep patriot or a chrylser 200 because in their bizarro minds they think its cool, even though they know they are going to be money pits. (or not quite piece of poo poo cars that are fun but still money pits like a mini)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

zapplez posted:

You'd be surprised the amount of people in their 30s,40s,50s, etc that will buy a piece of poo poo like a jeep patriot or a chrylser 200 because in their bizarro minds they think its cool, even though they know they are going to be money pits. (or not quite piece of poo poo cars that are fun but still money pits like a mini)

Funny you should mention Jeeps:
https://www.caradvice.com.au/709508/2019-jeep-wrangler-handed-devastating-1-star-euro-ncap-result/