Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

CD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
CD

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CF

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

AC/DF

:frogsiren: Liyongolese, form up and roll out! :frogsiren:

Also, poo poo's hosed so engage Limited CiviliansBeExpendable/Stalin/Ohone mode until we see just how hosed poo poo be and then revisit.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

sheep-dodger posted:

CD
Also, we should specifically try and link up with the Union pilots to get them to the vehicle bay as well, getting as many pilots mounted up asap seems like the best way to secure the station.

Vote: +1

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Actual update tomorrow, but a bit of background/worldbuilding to help set the stage:

General Massive Systems’ 5013 Megastructure Omnilogue posted:

Type-8 Long Term Space Habitat, ‘BABYLON’
Based on designs pioneered by pre-Fall philomaticians, the T8 LTSH is perfect for systems that lack the raw materials to construct Dyson-class megastructures.

With a diameter of 8km and length of 32km, a BABYLON LTSH boasts over 500km2 of fully-customizable habitable surface area able to support one million residents comfortably. Additionally, nine perimeter-to-spinal column towers can be customized for a mix of additional living space, industrial works, entertainment, and transit/shipping. Gravity at the perimeter can be adjusted to +/- 10% of Union Standard via rotational velocity, and atmospheric composition and pressure is fully customizable to any of the authorized Union premixes.

The Type-8 includes a Mark II ‘ATEN’ Heliostatic Array to provide station-keeping and power. The Mark II HA’s default 3,000km diameter sail is adjustable to +/- 10% to allow for ideal positioning and solar energy absorption.

As an added bonus, the BABYLON is fully compatible with the Class-3 Miniature Bidirectional Blinkgate and Distributed Power Gathering Array. The MBB-DPGA can be attached to either end of the Type-8, enabling Class IV and larger vessels and larger to emerge from the spaceward side, while the smaller Class I-III vessels emerge into the station’s spinal-mounted transit hub.
Manufacturer’s Warning: the DPGA absorbs approximately 75% of the mean solar radiation passing through its 15,000km diameter. Please site the DPGA in a location that will not affect outer orbital paths)

General Massive Systems: Fabricating Your Future, Today

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

So the space habitat is 32km long, has a 300km diameter sail and can be attached to a blinkgate with a 15000km diameter power array.

I'm currently imagining an ant with a human-sized multi-layered web trailing behind it.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
The array for the blinkgate is not-quite-solid like the station's sail is (think a collection of ministations), but yes its a bit much.

But in the book blinkgates are generally built into chunks of a Dyson sphere (Dyson plates), so they're generally huge

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Keep in mind that the spherical surface area at a radius of one AU is 2.81×10^17 square kilometers. When you're working with diffuse solar radiation you need something big.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoultryGeist posted:

Type-8 Long Term Space Habitat, ‘BABYLON’

Where are the Star Furies?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

Where are the Star Furies?

Glad I wasn't the only one that caught that nod

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

Glad I wasn't the only one that caught that nod

:respek:

I wonder from time to time if Crusade would have held up over the years, if it wasn't cancelled.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

:respek:

I wonder from time to time if Crusade would have held up over the years, if it wasn't cancelled.

I have oft thought the same with pangs of sadness

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
”Hold it steady mon Capitaine, this is a bit delicate!” Okafor obilges and slows the bucking utility cart down a bit. Its not really her fault, individual transport in these types of stations are frowned upon so you had to hotwire a basic service vehicle. With a grunt of satisfaction you bypass the last of the subaltern’s safeties, and the black casket containing int NPH instance slides free. You pocket it and kick the shell off the back of the cart’s cargo tray, before joining the captain in the passenger compartment. Support Tower 1, containing the station’s Naval Auxiliary HQ, grows large before you.

The handful of kilometers between the cafe and here have been hair-raising, if only for the captain’s aggressive driving style. There was also the scattered bands of homicidal robots, although they seemed more interested in breaking into the heavily defended shelters than chasing down one electric cart. And Pilot Okafor was breaking your trail, softing up any large pockets of danger before you got there. Your hardsuit chirps, notifying you of an active commnet. Its not an official channel, but its still running Naval encryption. Before you can look too closely, your ride slews to a stop.

Ahead of you is the base of ST1, its normally open atrium covered in thick security security shutters. Okafor’s EVEREST is in standby, and you can see her at its feet talking to the crowd of civilians at the entrance. Most of them are wearing utility or construction suits, and you can see a couple of construction frames taking cutters to the shutters.

Pilot Okafor waves, and jogs over with a man with a foreman’s splash on his suit’s shoulders. He nods to the two of you and pulls up a video window. ”Greetings Okafor-Clade, Pilot. I am Yonas Habte of Desta-Clade, and I have been given a message to relay to you.” He plays the video, a familiar-looking pale young woman in a chrome-and-leather cockpit.

Her ‘suit is covered in corpro logos, and her Cradle accent is just this side of understandable.

“Hai sexai! Your main gurl Alice is in da house! Gotz some sidequestin’ to do in the nowz, but at least I can lets ya use my O-Node since ya’s a friend of my friends. Now go kick SOLOMON’s glitchy rear end and I’ll catch you on tha flip!”

Both of the Okafor’s look at you with a mix of confusion and expectation, but you can only shrug. ”I have never met this woman before in my life, but I’m not going to look a gifted ox in the mouth. A stable commnet would help greatly.”

Yonas nods. ”Some of my younger shift-comrades recognize her, some sort of Omninet celeb that plays at being a pilot. And while we can’t push through the jamming inside the tower, if it wasn’t for her commnet I wouldn't have been able to organize my crew. We’ve just about cut through the shutters, we’re going in to either reinforce the Aux if we can find them or take out the cascades’ commnet if not.” He hefts a bulky plasma cutter and cycles its angles dramatically. ”We built this station, we’re not going to let a bunch of glitchy comp/cons break it. You with us Pilot?”
Looking over his crew, while they aren’t exactly marines they’re big, armored, and wielding weapons made to chop up bulkheads. But on the other hand, Okafor has jumpjets and your suit has mag-clamps. Ascending the outside of the tower is also a possibility.

A: Breach the Tower with the Work Crew
Having alot of warm bodies around you while you work your way up the tower would be nice, but you’ll probably face more resistance.
B: Scale the Tower
Climb the outside of the tower while the Work Crew provides a distraction/flanking maneuver. Not as busy, but the auxiliary hangar entrance is ~2km up in the low-gee zone. If something goes wrong, it will go very wrong
C: Other
Hit me with the obvious tactical approach that I forgot, or the truly crazy idea that just has to work

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A. Power to the people.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
B. We have mag-clamps.

Alternatively, is our drone powerful enough to fly us up?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

MaliciousOnion posted:

Alternatively, is our drone powerful enough to fly us up?

Our personal loadout drone is basically the future version of a little quadcopter model, so it can't carry much more than itself. Even in the lowgee zone, our inertia would make things rough.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You're telling me none of this maintenance/construction equipment can be converted into a reaction motor using a personal printer and a flagrant disregard for safety protocols?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

The Lone Badger posted:

You're telling me none of this maintenance/construction equipment can be converted into a reaction motor using a personal printer and a flagrant disregard for safety protocols?

I mean 'cobble together a quasi-functional personal jetpack(Tech+1)' is a reasonable C option

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PoultryGeist posted:

I mean 'cobble together a quasi-functional personal jetpack(Tech+1)' is a reasonable C option

Then let's do that. We're the guy who rode a deployable cover out of a mag launch tube, and who thought the best way to slow down from that is to stab something. We have a brand to maintain.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A

Stick with the group for now.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

A, storm those barricades!

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Lone Badger posted:

Then let's do that. We're the guy who rode a deployable cover out of a mag launch tube, and who thought the best way to slow down from that is to stab something. We have a brand to maintain.

I'm with C here. Frontal assaults aren't our strong suit, let's flank

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hmm just got a fancy new super suit that BLITs killer robots to death, and whaddaya know there's a killer robot attack. Would it be more fun to get stuck in at with some wrenchy boys and show Terminators the best of DeviantArt at point-blank range or gently caress around outside until we get punked by a ballistic flying car? Hmm, hmm, hmmA

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A

Grognan fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 30, 2018

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
A lets us mother hen the civilians.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Are we in our new suit or still using the old one?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Are we in our new suit or still using the old one?

We don't have Baby at all I think.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

We're just in our hardsuit, which is admittedly a nice piece of gear. It provides a sealed environment, radiation protection, and light armor, and it carries all the tech we need to be able to interface with a mech or the omninet.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah from what I understand we're in basically high-quality infantry armor, not our mech. To get to our mech, we have to somehow kill or otherwise get around all the killer robots in this building because they're between us and our mech.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ok yeah I was interpreting the mag-clamps to be a feature of our robutt, not that we've just had building scaling gear in our pocket all day. Either way though, outside sucks right now.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoultryGeist posted:

Vote: +1

We need to get to our 'mech.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Excerpted from the Union Science Bureau pre-Entrance Study of Liyongo

Personal Notes, Dr. Fatima McGuiness (Head Anthropologist)

Its quite amazing Bryce, and something I don’t think the others truly appreciate. A plurality of civilized worlds say that they honor personal accomplishments more than inherited status or wealth. Hell, even our beloved Union aspires to be a place where one can rise from the lowest low to the highest high by one’s own ability. But these Liyongese practice the most radical form of meritocracy that I’ve ever seen or heard of. I mean, of course some members of the High Council bend rules and situations to their whims. But how can generational nepotism or wealth transfer occur when you don’t know who your children are?

Sorry, sorry, I’m skipping over some stuff. I forget you won’t see our reports until everything is collated, let me back up.

As part of the Colonial Settlement Doctrine, the first few generations of Liyongese that were artificially gestated by the ship’s nursery were designed around eight broad genotypic groupings, or Clades. We’ve been told that the Clades were named in honor of eight of the nine crew that survived the trip to Liyongo. These first few generations were raised in communal creches, which is a generally practiced tactic in early colony establishment.

But the Liyongese never got rid of the creches! Even now, when 98% of the human population is conceived and gestated the old-fashioned way, the newborns are assigned to creches run and maintained by the colony’s NHP. The parents have no input on their child post-birth, and indeed will never have a familial relationship with them. Interestingly this strategy was well laid out in the CSD, with a great deal of social engineering planned for the early generations to make this non-standard arrangement culturally self-sustaining. And indeed, even now there is a near-universal taboo proscripting the acknowledgment of a blood relationship that has been discovered by accident.

Liyongese spend their first ten years (local) in standard universalized creches. At this point, a battery of standardized and aptitude tests are used to divide the children into more specialized environments. This process continues throughout their maturation, with allowances made for cross-training and aptitude/interest shifts. Throughout this all, they are taught and shaped by a rotation of their elders, to ensure that favoritism is minimized. And weirdly enough, it works. Our measures of generational corruption using any frame of reference we can come up with is amazingly low. And while there is a slight increase in peer-group insularity, its not outside the standard error. Amazing, really.

Oh, and since you’re reading this along with the full report you know there were nine surviving Nguvu crewmembers, and indeed a ninth Clade. But the Okafors are going to have their own section in my actual report, and some sternly worded Official Interaction Recommendations. But I can tell you that the UAD is not going to like the OIRs so be ready.

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 6, 2018

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

PoultryGeist posted:

As part of the Colonial Settlement Doctrine, the first few generations of Liyongese that were artificially gestated by the ship’s nursery were designed around eight broad genotypic groupings, or Clades. We’ve been told that the Clades were named in honor of eight of the nine crew that survived the trip to Liyongo. These first few generations were raised in communal creches, which is a generally practiced tactic in early colony establishment.

And indeed, even now there is a near-universal taboo procripting the acknowledgment of a blood relationship that has been discovered by accident.

Oh, and since you’re reading this along with the full report you know there were nine surviving Nguvu crewmembers, and indeed a ninth Clade. But the Okafors are going to have their own section in my actual report, and some sternly worded Official Interaction Recommendations. But I can tell you that the UAD is not going to like the OIRs so be ready.

Neat post.

I wonder if the Okafor faction was forcibly integrated by the Union.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 6, 2018

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Okay, so Cpt. and Sgt. Okafor are related through adoption processes? A mentoring resulting in a formal familial adoption perhaps?

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Blasphemaster posted:

Okay, so Cpt. and Sgt. Okafor are related through adoption processes? A mentoring resulting in a formal familial adoption perhaps?

The Okafors are implied to have been a splinter faction with their own culture up until very recently. The Okafors may have been a normal family once.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 6, 2018

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

UNA Spire Security Footage posted:

[Footage Start]: 26 Johnny-style subaltern shells and 3 Grunt multi-purpose utilibots are scattered in defensive positions around the atrium. A 3-meter line of molten alloy is seen in the nearest security shutter.

[+4:28]: The intrusive cutter finishes, creating a 4-meter square gap in the shutter

[+4:42]: The subalterns and ultilibots charge weapons and move towards the breach

[+4:45]: An large object (identified as the shell from a GMS MC-HW howitzer) enters the frame for a split second before exploding

[+4:55]: An EVEREST (IFF: [UNA]Amanirenas) and 4 Handyman-type frames breach the atrium, followed by unidentified infantry

[+7:38]: PERSISTENCE-controlled forces destroyed
(Okafor Targeting Roll: 20, Success)
(Work Crew GRIT Roll: 17, Success)

”And that, mon superviseur, is why incoming fire has the right of way.”

Yonas shakes the last bit of coolant off of his chain-axe and nods. ”Yes, I see how your aphorism applies now.” He cocks his head, listening to his comfeed. ”My shift-comrades report that they have secured the interior doors. We have a beach-head, you will be sharing the plan you devised now?”

You nod, and loop the Okafors and Yonas into a secured comm channel. Its not as good as legionspace, but beggars and choosers.

”Yes, the plan. This station is a standard GMS design, yes? Which means that there are skin-to-spine access shafts. Pilot Okafor, you said the other pilots got pinned down right?”

“Correct, last I heard before we lost comms was they were stuck two levels down from the hangar. Section 8.”
Yonas is getting what you’re leading to and pulls up a schematic of the spinal tower. You point out Section 8 on it, and trace the access shaft down to your level.

”So this is my plan. Pilot, you take the Handymen and the shift-comrades with heavy suits and move upwards along the main accessways. Pull in as many subalterns and frames as you are comfortable dealing with. Meanwhile the Captain, Yonas, I, and the less-armored comrades will move up the shafts to the pilots, and then to the hangar. All while PERSISTENCE and L'Étranger are distracted.”
Yonas gives you a questioning look. ”Are you acceleration and zeegee rated Pilot-comrade? I know the Captain would be, but the shafts can be… disorienting for the unready.” You give him a #1 Smile and slap him on the shoulder.

”I am indeed shift-comrade. Pilot training is quite extensive. Shall we?”

You might have been a bit hasty with Yonas. Being in free-fall or even a mech cockpit is a fair bit different than being pulled (upward?) into low gravity via high-speed dragline. But you reach the rest of your team on Section 8 before the vertigo gets the best of you. Captain Okafor gives you an encouraging nod as she tries to settle her hastily-printed armor into a comfortable position in the lowgee. Yonas points down a horizontal cross-shaft.

”Local life-support sensors are reading a group of non-Liyongese in that block. Access panels are locked down though, and the Captain and I didn’t think our tools would be appropriate.” He hefts his chain-axe speculatively. ”She said you might be able to get in without upsetting the Union pilots?” You nod and give a thumbs-up, not trusting your stomach right now.

(Tech Roll: 9, Failure)

A few moments work with your knife and the hatch slides open. Your cocky smile dies and you dive to the side as weapons-fire explodes out of the opening. Luckily they seem to recognize your loud Ciorench curses as organic in nature and stop trying to kill you. There’s a few mumbled apologies as the squad of black-clad Naval Security and more eclectically-garbed pilots climb out of their storage room hideout and into to access shaft. The lead pilot, WATTS printed on his high-end Harrison Armory hardsuit, turns to say something to you but is cut off by the blare of the security alarm. Red lights start flashing as a robotic voice decries intruders. Hissing and scuttling can be heard down the surrounding access shafts as security drones are activated. You push Watts forwards towards the main shaft.

”Allons-y! Gogogo!”

”Please hurry Pilot-Comrade, the drones are closing!”

You’re about to tell Yonas that he’s not helping when the security locks on the access panel give up. You and a handful of shift-comrades spill out, the zeegee of the station’s spine making panicked movement difficult. You’re about to turn and help Watts out of the shaft when a tremendous crash rattles the entire bulkhead. Looking to the side, a mech has been embedded in the wall. With the groaning of tortured metal, the BLACKBEARD pulls itself loose.

Your comm clicks. ”Ana asef! Please be careful, my foe is proving quite nasty!” A huge yellow armature darts down and snatches the mech into the air. Following the motion ‘upwards’, you see an enormous construction bot on the ‘ceiling’ of the parade area.

You’ve seen them before, some sort of portable drydock or construction yard for starships. 15 meters tall at the base of its armatures, it easily carries multi-ton parts and rivets hull plating. And its maglocked above the main hangar entrance…

A: Hold Out For Reinforcements
Pilot Okafor and her team are on their way, avoid the constructibot and hold off the security drones until they get here.
B: Run For the Hangar
The constuctibot is occupied with the BLACKBEARD, make a break for the hangar and the rest of the mechs.
C: Run Interference For the BLACKBEARD
While your weapons won’t do hardly any damage to the constructibot, you might be able to create an opening for the other pilot.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B

We'll be more useful with a mech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Leaning B for now, go get all our mechs and then just smash it from behind. Does the BLACKBEARD look like it can try and hold its own for long enough that we can get to our mech, or would running past basically be writing this pilot off?