Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With Heroes I liked the idea behind Sylar's power, that he was a watchmaker who's power was basically that he could understand anything perfectly by studying it's structure, with the idea being that he's study the brains of people with powers and apply whatever the difference was to his own brain. I'm probably misremembering. I also liked the exchange he had with Claire:

"Please don't eat my brain?"
"Eat your brain? Claire, that's disgusting..."

BTW how was the 4400? I only saw a bit of it and can't remember anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

JediTalentAgent posted:

Yeah, that one. I do seem to recall the TVIV thread we had on the show was pretty active for a while because people were just hate-watching it because they needed to see what happened next.

I'm not going to tell you not to hatewatch it. I am going to tell you that the original was far more entertaining. Michael Ironsides on a motorcycle throwing grenades at lizard people-levels of entertaining.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

mllaneza posted:

I'm not going to tell you not to hatewatch it. I am going to tell you that the original was far more entertaining. Michael Ironsides on a motorcycle throwing grenades at lizard people-levels of entertaining.

I know I used to watch the original as a kid, even through the 90s it seemed like they played it in syndication a few times in reruns.

JMS of Babylon 5 I guess pitched a plan for a V: The Next Chapter in the late 80s/early 90s or so that never came to be. But a part of the legend that I heard (and how it even ties to B5) is that the original V ended up being so expensive it's part of the reason WB was very tight with their money when it came to supporting B5.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gaunab posted:

Alphas cliffhanger had the main characters getting their powers enhanced in a huge terrorist attack. Did any writers come out and say what they had planned?

The kid who had the ability to tap into the electromagnetic spectrum(?) was really great.

One line he had still gets me to laugh, "I don't like horses. They look confused."
I mean, he's right.

If they had anything planned it for sure had to do with the coin flipping kid returning to finish his arc with the doctor.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BioEnchanted posted:

With Heroes I liked the idea behind Sylar's power, that he was a watchmaker who's power was basically that he could understand anything perfectly by studying it's structure, with the idea being that he's study the brains of people with powers and apply whatever the difference was to his own brain. I'm probably misremembering. I also liked the exchange he had with Claire:

"Please don't eat my brain?"
"Eat your brain? Claire, that's disgusting..."

BTW how was the 4400? I only saw a bit of it and can't remember anything about it.

And then Peter gets that power so he can figure out the storyline and immediately starts cutting open people's heads and demanding their secrets

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Factor Mystic posted:

Alphas was the only good special powers people show, so naturally syfy killed it without resolution
I heard a bunch of people say how great Alphas was so I watched it and it's just utterly generic. It's fine, I guess, but completely forgettable.

No Ordinary Family I think.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Last Chance posted:

I watched Heroes the entire way through and posted about it on these blessed forums and not a god drat bit of the show has stuck in my mind. did you know they rebooted it a few years ago to abysmal failure? bet you forgot

I only remember because they made a spiritual successor to Psi-Ops as a tie-in.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I dunno what it was specifically but I remember getting turned off as Heroes’ first season went on so I never watched past it. I feel like it would have been like season two of Stranger Things for me where it was so stupid and bad I gave up halfway through

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Was it the part where discount Sayid talked about how we only use 10% of the human brain in every intro?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I dunno what it was specifically but I remember getting turned off as Heroes’ first season went on so I never watched past it. I feel like it would have been like season two of Stranger Things for me where it was so stupid and bad I gave up halfway through

Same for me.

I think that it may have been that I watching the Bad Guy whose power was to steal everyone's super powers and realising that they were making him into an unbeatable god. Which would mean that either the show had to finish with the end of the world by the end of S1, or some horrible kludge would be used to keep it going.

I think I watched it not long after I gave up on Lost when it came to the point that they were never going to complete all the plot points and backstories as they clearly had planned on a story beyond S1.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
He was actually the only consistently good part of the show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

I don't know if ABC pushed that style harder than every other channel or not after Lost. They did V, Flashforward, Defying Gravity, and probably God only knows how many others. NBC had The Event. I can't recall anything of real note that CBS did that lasted too long. Fox? I can't think of anything that attempted to be that way, either except maybe Dollhouse.

Fox had a show called Vanished which was about a senator's wife disappearing and an FBI trying to find her, which I think then spun immediately into some plot about the apocalypse or something. Anyway, I believe that show was most notorious for trying to drum up hype by killing off its main character. I watched some of it when it came out in 2007 (?) and I remember very little beyond the fact it was incredibly bad.

Was Alcatraz on Fox? It had a pretty good cast (Sam Neill was a main character, what else do you need?) then it had one of the most annoying cliffhangers of all (the main character is shot and the series ends with her flatlining in a hospital bed).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

He was actually the only consistently good part of the show.
Consistently? :crossarms:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JediTalentAgent posted:

One of the streaming services I have has the V remake series on it, I think, and I need to give that a modern rewatch and take notes because even when it was airing it was bad in all 'secret mystery plot' ways.

I don't know if ABC pushed that style harder than every other channel or not after Lost. They did V, Flashforward, Defying Gravity, and probably God only knows how many others. NBC had The Event. I can't recall anything of real note that CBS did that lasted too long. Fox? I can't think of anything that attempted to be that way, either except maybe Dollhouse.

I remember there was one called Surface about a sea monster. With the success of Lost the mid-late 2000's were full of scripted dramas like that

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My brother was really into Invasion, the low-rent Body Snatchers ripoff.

I tried watching The Event, which was about a guy whose girlfriend vanishes and there was a weird group of people who were clearly aliens in Alaska. Couldn't get more than one episode in because the lead was an idiot.

There was a conspiracy to crash a plane into the president and he wants to stop it, so he starts waving a gun around on the plane screaming about needing to see the pilot.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember there was one called Surface about a sea monster. With the success of Lost the mid-late 2000's were full of scripted dramas like that

I remember Surface - giant sea monsters, tiny sea monsters, and a dead brother living under the sea.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I watched all of no ordinary family. The dad gets strength, the mom gets speed I think, the daughter gets invisibility I believe and the son becomes a super genius.

It had parts that were interesting. I remember before he got his powers the son was complete idiot and once he started showing off his smarts nobody would believe he was that smart.

It also ended with the final baddy being beaten by the son throwing a needle in his eye

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BrendianaJones posted:

My brother was really into Invasion, the low-rent Body Snatchers ripoff.

I was trying to figure out what the other one was. I knew there was another one but I couldn't remember a damned thing about it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

duck trucker posted:

I watched all of no ordinary family. The dad gets strength, the mom gets speed I think, the daughter gets invisibility I believe and the son becomes a super genius.

It had parts that were interesting. I remember before he got his powers the son was complete idiot and once he started showing off his smarts nobody would believe he was that smart.

It also ended with the final baddy being beaten by the son throwing a needle in his eye

Oh, it was a Hawkeye prequel then

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
My favorite moment in Heroes involves actor Chad Faust. In the show The 4400, Chad plays a character that almost gets abducted in the beginning, but his friend is taken instead so he ends up not getting a cool superpower like every other abductee. He spends some time being bitter about this.

In Heroes, Chad plays a marine named Scott that is recruited by the villains as part of a group to receive some kind of super strength formula. He ends up being the only one to get it and finally has a power. A group of heroes soon attack the facility he's at and he eagerly confronts them like "hell yeah, let's do this!" but he is immediately killed by somebody walking up behind him from off-screen and quickly snapping his neck. It was loving hilarious.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tiggum posted:

https://youtu.be/0OjCBEhdixs

I loved every minute of this dumb loving show

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

Look I just love Zachary Quinto. Even when the show was really really terrible he would show up and give me a moment's reprieve.

Samuringa posted:

Oh, it was a Hawkeye prequel then

Everyone read Fraction's Hawkeye run.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There was another one that was about a found footage trip through the rainforest to find a documentarian. Produced by blumhouse and cancelled after one season.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

BrendianaJones posted:

There was a conspiracy to crash a plane into the president and he wants to stop it, so he starts waving a gun around on the plane screaming about needing to see the pilot.

_____________________/ Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Len posted:

There was another one that was about a found footage trip through the rainforest to find a documentarian. Produced by blumhouse and cancelled after one season.

I liked that one, at least it had some kind of ending.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Len posted:

Are you talking about The River? Because that series was loving rad and I wish they had kept going

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard

plainswalker75 posted:

Are you talking about The River? Because that series was loving rad and I wish they had kept going

:agreed:

This thread piqued my interest in V so now I have it ready for this 3 day weekend I'm about to have.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

duck trucker posted:

That's also a plot point in S3 of Misfits. One of the characters is a chav girl who wants to be smarter, so when someone shows up who can swap powers around she chooses the power of rocket science because as everything else isn't rocket science, rocket scientists must be smarter than anyone else. But that's not how it works - she becomes a super savant in rocket science, but remains useless at everything else. And worse, because she isn't bright nobody believes that her rocket designs are any good either.

Seriously, go watch Misfits.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

That's also a plot point in S3 of Misfits. One of the characters is a chav girl who wants to be smarter, so when someone shows up who can swap powers around she chooses the power of rocket science because as everything else isn't rocket science, rocket scientists must be smarter than anyone else. But that's not how it works - she becomes a super savant in rocket science, but remains useless at everything else. And worse, because she isn't bright nobody believes that her rocket designs are any good either.

Wasn't her new power more like super-engineering, so she could basically design anything? And her problem was just that she didn't have any kind of qualification so no one would even give her a chance to prove herself.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The Event had a TVIV thread whose OP was entirely links to the Mitchel and Webb quiz show sketch (Remain indoors!). That is literally the only thing I remember about that show, despite watching it at least once.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Foxfire_ posted:

The Event had a TVIV thread whose OP was entirely links to the Mitchel and Webb quiz show sketch (Remain indoors!). That is literally the only thing I remember about that show, despite watching it at least once.

Sounds like the elusive TVIV success story!

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I remember liking a show called Threshold, which got cancelled (midway through shooting the season finale, just in time to avoid ending on a cliffhanger) because nobody cared. The Wikipedia page mentions that they had a three year arc planned with a new title for the show each year - Threshold/Foothold/Stranglehold - which seem like terrible names for a TV show out of context and a great way to confuse viewers if they'd ever gotten that far.

Edit: wait, this was a US show, 13 episodes a season is less than usual... I guess it wasn't meant to be the season finale.

uvar has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Dec 7, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Tiggum posted:

Wasn't her new power more like super-engineering, so she could basically design anything? And her problem was just that she didn't have any kind of qualification so no one would even give her a chance to prove herself.

I think she specifically asked for Rocket Engineering but I only watched 2 episodes of S3 because the quality took a nosedive

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Samuringa posted:

I think she specifically asked for Rocket Engineering but I only watched 2 episodes of S3 because the quality took a nosedive

There was an overlap, like at one point they break into an apartment and she uses her new power to examine the alarm and remove the cable to stop it going off. I liked one of the final season powers, the Nun who when exposed to the evils of the world, summoned the 4 BMXers of the Apocalypse. That was a cute finale. There was also a great power in a Medium who summoned ghosts, including the Super-Christian from season 1 who made everyone zombies - and when brought back had gone through a severe existential crisis because after she died she found out there was nothing after death.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Foxfire_ posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Samuringa posted:

They weren't requesting whatever powers they wanted though, just choosing from the ones the trader had bought from other people, so the names he or they gave them don't necessarily reflect their true nature or potential.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tiggum posted:

I'd agree that this is an accurate summary.
Except that the issue was that she spoke like a chav, so no-one would even take a look at her designs - even though if she got past HR, an engineer would have been impressed.

I took that to be a comment on the way that HR and recruitment works.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
She should have mailed some plans directly to an engineer, who could then bypass the whole process.

And no, I can't keep myself from doing this.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Samuringa posted:

I thought the last couple of seasons of Misfits after that got better and better. With all the original series regulars gone, they started hiring people who could act. The final group had fun interactions with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Servoret posted:

I thought the last couple of seasons of Misfits after that got better and better. With all the original series regulars gone, they started hiring people who could act. The final group had fun interactions with each other.

Away and throw shite at yourself. The weakest actor in the original group was Lauren Socha, who ironically turned out to be playing herself. The other four were all at least good, and if you're saying Iwan "Ramsay loving Bolton" Rheon can't act then you need your head seeing to.