Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
in america you sometimes get dudes going "yo I painted your address number on the street since it was fading pay me money"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Could God create a scam so persuasive He couldn't resist paying it?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Midjack posted:

Could God create a scam so persuasive He couldn't resist paying it?

Wasn't that the premise of Job?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Alan Smithee posted:

in america you sometimes get dudes going "yo I painted your address number on the street since it was fading pay me money"

They tried to do ours but asked first, they actually do cool colors and specialty designs here and if i wasn't renting I might have gone for it. That said the guy was a sketchy looking meth head but the results are fly.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Business tend to pay via check. I write 40 or 50 checks per month. It's really easy and allows you to mail the payment details with the check or any other notes you might have.

Check protections are very strong. Credit card is pretty good but, if someone messes with a check, it becomes criminal and the bank has to reverse it.

A few months ago, someone stole a check from a mailbox that we had written and used white out to change the pay to. After it cleared, I went to the bank and just said "Look at this". They had even cashed it at the same bank we use and there was a thumb print on it indicated that it was cashed without an account.

We had the money back within a day. The hilarious thing is that I looked up the pay-to name to see if he had a criminal record. He had actually just been released from prison a few days before he stole the check from us. By the time the check had cleared, and I'd reported it, he was already back in jail for something unrelated. The dude just couldn't stay out of jail. The bank did report him for check fraud so that, I suppose, would have been tacked on.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

mostlygray posted:

Business tend to pay via check. I write 40 or 50 checks per month. It's really easy and allows you to mail the payment details with the check or any other notes you might have.

Check protections are very strong. Credit card is pretty good but, if someone messes with a check, it becomes criminal and the bank has to reverse it.

A few months ago, someone stole a check from a mailbox that we had written and used white out to change the pay to. After it cleared, I went to the bank and just said "Look at this". They had even cashed it at the same bank we use and there was a thumb print on it indicated that it was cashed without an account.

We had the money back within a day. The hilarious thing is that I looked up the pay-to name to see if he had a criminal record. He had actually just been released from prison a few days before he stole the check from us. By the time the check had cleared, and I'd reported it, he was already back in jail for something unrelated. The dude just couldn't stay out of jail. The bank did report him for check fraud so that, I suppose, would have been tacked on.

While all of that is hilarious, I am apaled by the fact that a bank could be scammed by tipex...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

mostlygray posted:

Same happened to me. Deposited a check online, someone then stole the physical one and crossed out my note on the back saying so, and deposited it at a bank. The money they got pulled from my account and I never got it back despite fighting the two incompetent banks.

So, no. Check protection pretty much doesn’t exist because it doesn’t need to when the end user has to pay for it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The difference in treatment you get at a bank as a rep for an established business and as a private costumer is pretty astonishing, just speaking from personal experience.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Fruits of the sea posted:

The difference in treatment you get at a bank as a rep for an established business and as a private costumer is pretty astonishing, just speaking from personal experience.

You don't want to alienate someone who will put a pantomime horse's head in your bed.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
We had an email from one of our suppliers last week warning of a scam. A number of companies had recently received emails saying something along the lines of "Hi, this is company x. We've just changed our bank details, so please can you send payments to this bank account from now on"

They're a pretty big company, an the majority of small businesses in our industry use them. The methodology probably involved simply googling "company type" and emailing the first couple of hundred hits.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The same drat "gold recycling" company called me 4 times :japan:
1. "Standard script"
No thanks
2. "Standard script"
No thanks
3. "You said No, but please listen to what we have to say…"
No, I hate you, shut up.
4. They changed to a cute lady voice doing the standard script. I changed to a crazy bitch in English.

5. ??? lmao if true

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Its 2008 all over again

http://www.cockeyed.com/citizen/goldkit/gold_kit.shtml

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I got a call today from someone who got my number "from my neighbor" wanting to know if I wanted to sell my house. I almost want to call him back and ask him which neighbor, what was their name and what was discussed because I enjoy wasting scammers' time and usually have nothing better to do.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Fruits of the sea posted:

I think it's more about how long you've been with your particular bank. Our bank was really embarrassed that they cleared the check, even though it was cleared at a different branch.

You do have to make sure that you run through the correct processes. Key is to make a police report. It doesn't take long. Once you've done that, it becomes criminal and the bank will back you up. Without the police report, they might just shift it under the rug and hide.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Tunicate posted:

Its 2008 all over again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f9oJikx0-I

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

BiggerBoat posted:

I got a call today from someone who got my number "from my neighbor" wanting to know if I wanted to sell my house. I almost want to call him back and ask him which neighbor, what was their name and what was discussed because I enjoy wasting scammers' time and usually have nothing better to do.

I had something like this once from some police organization (FOP? I can't remember) who wanted me to donate money.

Me: No thanks.
Him: Well, all of your neighbors have given us generous donations.
Me: Really? Like who?
Him: I'm sorry, the list of our donors is confidential.
Me: *click*

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

MightyJoe36 posted:

I had something like this once from some police organization (FOP? I can't remember) who wanted me to donate money.

Me: No thanks.
Him: Well, all of your neighbors have given us generous donations.
Me: Really? Like who?
Him: I'm sorry, the list of our donors is confidential.
Me: *click*

Ah yes, because the charity I want to donate to is the one that tries to guilt me into giving money

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I've been getting calls from all over the country, 2-3 times a day for the last few months. All of them leave a voicemail in Chinese. I'm assuming they're trying to scam me but I don't speak Chinese.

Can't even block the fuckers because it's a different number every time.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Devo posted:

I've been getting calls from all over the country, 2-3 times a day for the last few months. All of them leave a voicemail in Chinese. I'm assuming they're trying to scam me but I don't speak Chinese.

Probably the Chinese embassy scam: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2018/04/scammers-impersonate-chinese-consulate

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Devo posted:

Just block all non contact numbers, that's what I do. If it's an actual person who wants to reach me they can leave a message.

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 12, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

In Australia we use something called BPay. You get given a biller code and a customer code by (whoever), and then you can pay them right from your bank's website. They don't need any online presence at all, the bank handles it all.

In Norway we have Vipps, I just need someone's phonenumber and I can send them money with my phone. It's basically work the same way texting does.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Piell posted:

Just block all non contact numbers, that's what I do. If it's an actual person who wants to reach me they can leave a message.

This is what I do now. I only answer calls from my contacts. The rest can go to voicemail.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MightyJoe36 posted:

This is what I do now. I only answer calls from my contacts. The rest can go to voicemail.

Some of these fuckers leave voicemails now.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

baquerd posted:

Some of these fuckers leave voicemails now.

It's usually a 1 or 2 second voicemail, and when I see that I just delete it.

Ohyesitsme
Apr 12, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doubtful Guest posted:

In the UK we have whole companies who manage Ground Rent on properties - usually very little (£100 a year) but insist on being paid by cheque and have no other way of contacting them/paying so they can make money on late fees.

Hence having a cheque book just for paying them every quarter.

My ground rent is £25 a year and every year the company who want the cash is different, but they always want a cheque. I haven't paid ground rent since I bought this house 16 years ago, and have never been chased for it.
I found my last cheque book a couple of weeks ago - the cheques in it are from 1997!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MightyJoe36 posted:

It's usually a 1 or 2 second voicemail, and when I see that I just delete it.

It's still a distraction and it clogs up your voice mail. I turned my phone's sound off completely because of this crap.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's still a distraction and it clogs up your voice mail. I turned my phone's sound off completely because of this crap.

My ringer button is usually stuck in the silent position, compressed air and a brush fixes it but in all fairness I don't bother because I really don't miss my phone bleeping at me all day. I use it enough to not really miss anything anyway.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I pretty much always have my phone on vibrate unless I really need to know when someone's calling me or I'm on-call overnight.

Piell posted:

Can you actually do this to unknown/new numbers on Android? I know on 8.0 you can send all of a contact's calls to Voicemail.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm guessing you guys are the type of people where I try to call and leave a message but the voicemail is full?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Inspector 34 posted:

I'm guessing you guys are the type of people where I try to call and leave a message but the voicemail is full?

Nah, I have visual voicemail on my iPhone and clear out the crap as it comes in. Usually I see the phone going off anyway as my phone lives on my desk in front of me for the most part and I see the screen light up.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Inspector 34 posted:

How does even happen? How many voicemails does it take to fill? Whenever I get a voicemail it bugs the crap out of me when it tells me about my old messages, its so easy to delete! :argh:

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I have no idea, I just know that the owner of our company does not text, rarely replies to emails, and if he doesn't answer his phone his voicemail is always full. Ditto for a couple of our employees. I have no idea what their deal is. Why is there even a limit? Data storage seems so cheap that it doesn't make any sense to have a cap. Just have voicemails count again the effectively infinite storage on my gmail account or something.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Most commercial voicemail systems are essentially unchanged from the early 1990s when storage wasn't free or you might even still record to tape. So of course the old default limits still exist.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I guess the thing that makes the most sense to me is imagining a board meeting where the topic of increasing voicemail storage comes up and everybody just looks around at each other and ask "why?"

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah why would they devote resources or even care to increase the storage on a service almost no one uses.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah why would they devote resources or even care to increase the storage on a service almost no one uses.

Especially when they can charge you extra for increased storage, if you want more room for voice mail. (Because lol, if you need more than 3 voicemails kept for 3 days, you're going to have the money to spare for that extra space right?)

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I've been receiving a variant to this, probably once or twice a week now - a vm from someone "looking to buy a house in my neighborhood, pay in cash, purchasing as is so don't need to make any improvements or changes" etc. I wonder what the angle is?

edit: maybe it's quasi-legit, they're just spamming with an autodialer: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/498903-cold-calling-results

sticksy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 19, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sticksy posted:

Yeah, I've been receiving a variant to this, probably once or twice a week now - a vm from someone "looking to buy a house in my neighborhood, pay in cash, purchasing as is so don't need to make any improvements or changes" etc. I wonder what the angle is?

edit: maybe it's quasi-legit, they're just spamming with an autodialer: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/498903-cold-calling-results

It'll be a ridiculous lowball offer but if you accept they'll pay. If you need to unload your house like RIGHT NOW it's an option. They'll usually just flip the property.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Microsoft tech support stopped calling me once I got them into describing the process to install their ransomware and began playing a peppy Bollywood tune at them. Months of hanging up did nothing and they'd call once every two days, but it just stopped altogether after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Tubgoat posted:

Microsoft tech support stopped calling me once I got them into describing the process to install their ransomware and began playing a peppy Bollywood tune at them. Months of hanging up did nothing and they'd call once every two days, but it just stopped altogether after that.

They stopped after I gave the phone to a friend of mine and he strung them along for some 5-10 minutes playing dumb.

When they figure it out, I could hear the gently caress YOUs without the phone being on speaker.