Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

I totally forgot that was a one shot. Was it not in the theatrical cut? I've seen both it and the Ultimate cut once each.

One thing I still don't really get about the Knightmare scene is this, was Superman working for Darkseid? Because those were parademons backing up the Superman soldiers, right? And in what scenario does Superman think Batman took "her" from him, whether "her" refers to Martha or Lois? Like, it doesn't seem like that's a possible future avoided by Batman due to foreknowledge. He was never going to go after Martha or Lois, and I don't know why Superman would be working with Darkseid. Maybe he defeats Darkseid and takes over his army?

I like the movie, and love the visuals in that scene, but I've never entirely understood what was going on there.

In the Superman Animated Series they just have Superman get brainwashed by Darkseid, he's really just not himself, it's not like he makes a conscious decision to turn evil.

And I assume the scenario where Superman holds Batman responsible for "her" death would probably involve him failing to save her in some way, not actually having a hand in "her" death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

In the Superman Animated Series they just have Superman get brainwashed by Darkseid, he's really just not himself, it's not like he makes a conscious decision to turn evil.

And I assume the scenario where Superman holds Batman responsible for "her" death would probably involve him failing to save her in some way, not actually having a hand in "her" death.

He says, "You took her from me."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

He says, "You took her from me."

You know how that poo poo always goes with these guys though. It was probably like Batman had her by the ankle with his grapple and the line broke or something. Something not directly Batman's fault but still something a grief stricken, pessimistic Superman would blame him for.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
I just got done watching The Villainess (2017) on Hulu and that was one hell of a crazy movie. I'd call it a "slow burn" action movie but that somehow doesn't feel right considering how it started off but that build up in the middle of the movie was tough. Necessary though. A good revenge flick needs a solid backstory and this had that in spades.

It's just too bad I didn't enjoy some of the camera work. I know they were trying to do some really new things (and sometimes it really worked well in the end) but the shift from first to third perspective felt really weird. The whole "group of bad guys waits patiently for their friend to get killed before making a move, one or two at a time, to get at the protagonist" feels 10x's as dumb in first person mode. At least with a traditional fight scene camera styling, you can hide placement and timing. In first person camera, it just felt like the kills were taking WAY too long and if I was in that situation (as the camera forces you to consider being in) there's no way you wouldn't have been blindsided across the back of the skull.

I enjoyed everything overall though and really liked how the story unfolded. They killed the love interest AND the kid?! Jeeezus. That's hardcore. They really didn't pull many punches. A little too much cgi blood for my taste but there was so much it's hard not to applaud the efforts of the film as a whole anyway. Bravo.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FancyMike posted:

Obviously both are important I just figured it’s important to mention the guy who choreographed it when the conversation started with a comment on that choreography. If you’re gonna have Keanu say “I know kung fu” and kick rear end there better be someone who knows some loving kung fu doing the fights and the Wachowskis made the right choice by getting one of the best.

He did great work giving each character a distinct personality in their fighting styles, too. Having the Agents fight mostly with power blows and relentless forward momentum was especially effective in selling their utter dominance in the setting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FancyMike posted:

The kung fu is awesome in The Matrix because they hired Yuen Woo-ping as a fight choreographer.

Something all the ripping off of The Matrix didn't pick up on until years later.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I finally watched The Night Comes for Us, holy loving poo poo. It's over-the-top to the point of comedy but still awesome.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Something all the ripping off of The Matrix didn't pick up on until years later.

I mean even just hiring Yuen Woo-ping doesn't get you scenes like that all on it's own, there's no shortcuts. With The Matrix trilogy you had three lead actors who were willing to basically dedicate 5 years of their lives to the choreography. They actually learned a lot of that poo poo, for example Lawrence Fishburne still had those skills when he went to do the Hannibal T.V. show and they went out of their way to take full advantage of them, which he talked about in interviews.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The crazy thing is that they actually used to hire actors because they knew martial arts! Some of them weren't even very good actors!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That wouldn't be enough to save Billy Zane Matrix knock-off, Invincible, it did help cradle 2 the grave though but that also had both Jet Li and MarK Dacascos

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Cradle 2 Tha Grave rules. It’s hard to go wrong with DMX driving an ATV while being chased by cops while Jet Li beats up cage fighters using the dwarf referee as a weapon while X Gon Give It To Ya plays.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Little-known fact: Cradle 2 the Grave was conceived as a sequel to the Curtis Hanson thriller The Hand That Rocks the Cradle; Rebecca De Mornay was going to come back for revenge and the plot was going to revolve around Annabella Sciorra was hiring Jet Li as her bodyguard.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

That wouldn't be enough to save Billy Zane Matrix knock-off, Invincible, it did help cradle 2 the grave though but that also had both Jet Li and MarK Dacascos

Boy, oh, boy did Invincible suck. I really wanted to like it, too. And it's a shame that Mark Dacascos' career never really exploded. I always liked him, and my wife even has a bit of a crush on him. But, I guess he's just not magnetic enough on screen for people. Still, we'll always have Only the Strong - SHUT UP, IT'S COOL- and Iron Chef America.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Narzack posted:

Boy, oh, boy did Invincible suck. I really wanted to like it, too. And it's a shame that Mark Dacascos' career never really exploded. I always liked him, and my wife even has a bit of a crush on him. But, I guess he's just not magnetic enough on screen for people. Still, we'll always have Only the Strong - SHUT UP, IT'S COOL- and Iron Chef America.

For what it's worth, he's going to be in John Wick: Chapter 3. So I can't wait for that.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

For what it's worth, he's going to be in John Wick: Chapter 3. So I can't wait for that.

Nice! I love Keanu, dude. It was so great seeing him bring back Tiger Chen for Man of Tai Chi and Daniel Bernhardt for John Wick 1.

edit- posted while watching Future War.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Dacascos turned up in an episode of Lucifer a while back (S2E5) playing a washed up action movie star on the skids, I was Is that..? Huh yes it is :o:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
He also hosts (or hosted) Iron Chef America, so I doubt he's hurting for money.

Narzack posted:

And Drive, and Brotherhood of the Wolf. He's also in Kickboxer 5, a movie that I can assure you actually exists, and is so bad it manages to gently caress up the training montage.

Speaking of the kickboxer series, has anyone here actually watched them past the first one? Because they...go places. Number 2 is Rocky except they don't leave the country and Rocky gets crippled halfway through (he gets better) Number 3 involves fighting drug dealers and people traffickers in Brazil and Number 4 features the traditional tournament structure, and shows every fight of a gigantic elimination tournament featuring, among many others, Rigan Machado of the Brazilian martial arts clan.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Do those have Cody from Step by Step? I remember watching one of them, maybe the third one. Not so much kickboxing, but a lot of uzis.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Narzack posted:

Do those have Cody from Step by Step? I remember watching one of them, maybe the third one. Not so much kickboxing, but a lot of uzis.

Yeah, that's the third, and it was Cody from Step by Step, Sasha Mitchell. They're pleasantly awful, especially the 4th, which knows exactly why you're there and doesn't gently caress around.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Saw MI: Fallout last night, and I love Cruise's willingness to allow himself to just get the poo poo kicked out of him. Like, at no point in the bathroom fight does Cruise have anything close to the upper hand against the guy(Cavill does a few times because of his brute strength).At this point Ethan continues to succeed just because he refuses to lay down and die, his stubbornness is his greatest asset, something they have Baldwin's character state pretty explicitly early in the movie.

Edit: Also I was sad to see him die because I thought his role as the dude who looks directly into camera and outright states the themes of the movie was particularly hilarious.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 5, 2018

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Baldwin's speech about Hunt to the british PM in Rogue nation is one of the all time best talk up an action movie's hero's drive and abilities to a ridiculous degree moments in film

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
So is Ermey's speech from On Deadly Ground the cautionary tale?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wandle Cax posted:

Baldwin's speech about Hunt to the british PM in Rogue nation is one of the all time best talk up an action movie's hero's drive and abilities to a ridiculous degree moments in film

I especially love his delivery of "Hunt!" when Ethan reveals himself. Baldwin is probably the only guy on the planet that could've pulled that off, it's absolutely hilarious while also still being totally in-character.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Wandle Cax posted:

Tom cruise did it again in Jack Reacher, at the start

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Halloween Jack posted:

So is Ermey's speech from On Deadly Ground the cautionary tale?

I'm not sure it's even the best Steven Seagal movie version of that.

quote:

Commander Krill: Ryback's file wasn't IN personnel. It was in the Captain's private cabinet. Ryback is an ex-SEAL.

Doumer: The Goddamn cook's a SEAL?

Commander Krill: Shut up and listen. "Expert in Martial Arts, Explosives, Weapons and Tactics. Silver Star, Navy Cross, Purple Heart with Cluster, and Security Clearance revoked after Panama." That means he couldn't hold any rating except that of a yeoman or a cook. How little did I know.

Shadow: We just lost two more men in the Engine Room!

William Strannix: You were told to review the personnel file on every individual on this ship.

Commander Krill: I know what I was told, but I didn't have access to the Captain's files at that *time*!

Doumer: I'll get this fucker myself!

William Strannix: Oh no, calm down. You wanna get killed?

Commander Krill: Are you an *idiot*?

Doumer: You're calling *me* an *idiot*?

Commander Krill: Yeah, I'm calling you an idiot!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The one from First Blood is the best.

https://youtu.be/sdEONLwlkjo

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 6, 2018

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The one from First Blood is the best.

https://youtu.be/sdEONLwlkjo

Better cautionary take from First Blood:

Rambo: Don't look at me, look at the road! That's how accidents happen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
John Wick accomplished all that with a single word.

"He stole John Wicks car sir...and killed his dog."

"Oh.":aaa:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

John Wick accomplished all that with a single word.

"He stole John Wicks car sir...and killed his dog."

"Oh.":aaa:

Yeah, the Baba Yaga speech is just the cherry on the top.

Wick is a great example of how to make a distinctive movie and make cliches fresh just by chopping stuff out.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alhazred posted:

Because wrestling matches also looks bad.

Congrats on making this the worst thread on the forums. I've come to educate you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5HChuoBcKs

Pardon the music choice.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I can't think of any way in which the choreography of a top-drawer wrestling match is more unrealistic or obviously fake than, like, the duels in Fist of Legend, which is a classic.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hell, there's also stuff like the CZW Tournament of Death, which is, as I understand it, just dudes getting in a ring and beating the gently caress out of each other with fluorescent light tubes until one needs to be life-flighted out.

It's not super relevant to a choreography discussion but if you have any kind of IRL gore tolerance you should definitely check one out just for the :stare: factor

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Watched Man of Tai Chi this afternoon. Pretty solid, good fight scenes. Amazing fakeout at the climactic fight to the death when Iko loving Uwais shows up and they fight for like 30 seconds and then the cops show up.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My melodramatic posturing aside, uh, Robert Rodriguez directed a 20 minute virtual reality short movie that may yet be the worst film I've seen in the past decade. And it's not even the fault of Michelle Rodriguez or Norman Reedus, the main actors. Like you go from loving Oscar-worthy class-act Widows to this and Michelle is selling the premise like it's her life work, and RR is half-assing everything the past few years of virtual reality development has made totally obvious basics - and Norman doesn't even get five whole minutes to actually act. It's really heartbreaking, honestly.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
to my eternal action movie thread shame, I've come to the realisation that there is a huge Tom Berenger shaped hole in my movie watching apart from Platoon.
I just remember going past a bunch of Sniper and The Substitute DVD covers every time at the shops.

From what I've been able to surmise through RT and wikipedia I should probably watch The Dogs of War and Shoot to Kill.

All the Sniper movies appear to be perfectly medium action movies (though they don't all star Berenger it seems) but are they crafted well enough that it is worth watching them?

I'm think I probably need this in my life though:

Breaking Point is a 2009 action-drama film starring Tom Berenger, Busta Rhymes, Musetta Vander and Sticky Fingaz.

Sinners and Saints appears to be a movie starring Johnny Strong, BAS RUTTEN, Method Man and loving Jürgen Prochnow alongside Berenger. Not to mention Costas Mandylor and his brother.
I'm gonna guess that Johnny and Bas fights at some point because what else is the point of having martial arts dudes in your movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Taintrunner posted:

Congrats on making this the worst thread on the forums. I've come to educate you.

Pardon the music choice.

Right, wrestling choreography looks bad, that was his point.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A lot of confidence for someone who’s obviously blind.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't think of any way in which the choreography of a top-drawer wrestling match is more unrealistic or obviously fake than, like, the duels in Fist of Legend, which is a classic.

Except for the damage done to the participants it is more unrealistic and obviously fake in every way.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Taintrunner posted:

Pardon the music choice.

...you appear to have posted a video of a couple of burly boys wasting energy throwing each other about and performing acrobatics as opposed to something actually approaching fighting. Post the link you were meant to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

MrBling posted:

to my eternal action movie thread shame, I've come to the realisation that there is a huge Tom Berenger shaped hole in my movie watching apart from Platoon.
I just remember going past a bunch of Sniper and The Substitute DVD covers every time at the shops.

From what I've been able to surmise through RT and wikipedia I should probably watch The Dogs of War and Shoot to Kill.

All the Sniper movies appear to be perfectly medium action movies (though they don't all star Berenger it seems) but are they crafted well enough that it is worth watching them?

I'm think I probably need this in my life though:

Breaking Point is a 2009 action-drama film starring Tom Berenger, Busta Rhymes, Musetta Vander and Sticky Fingaz.

Sinners and Saints appears to be a movie starring Johnny Strong, BAS RUTTEN, Method Man and loving Jürgen Prochnow alongside Berenger. Not to mention Costas Mandylor and his brother.
I'm gonna guess that Johnny and Bas fights at some point because what else is the point of having martial arts dudes in your movie.

The original Sniper is a legit good B-movie. Tom Berenger's character could be his character from Platoon 20 years later and a little mellowed out. The interesting thing is there is a US cut that features POV shots of the bullets like Prince of Thieve's arrow effects and a happier ending while the International cut is a lot grimmer.

That said, it gets pretty nasty in places and takes it as read that the US is performing extra-judicial assassinations in Central America.