Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
BTW here is the #1 problem I'm facing in a job search: My resume doesn't show experience with the current "it" technologies used in IT. They're just not there.

React? Angular? nope. I made a gradual progression from CGI to Perl page templates to jQuery to a maintaining a horribly demented Backbone application.
Spring? No, I used straight J2EE, then WCF, then Amazon's internal poo poo, then straight J2EE again, then (briefly) a thing called Dropwizard that nobody's heard of.
modern Hibernate? Barely. I used MS entity framework, then Amazon's homegrown prepared statement framework, then legacy XML-based Hibernate that I've mostly forgotten and wouldn't be relevant now anyway.
Microservices? No, I know how to put together a docker image but I haven't done it specifically for a microservice.
NoSQL? No sir.

and that's pretty much how every recruiting call goes

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you did your masters 13 years ago, nobody gives a poo poo about coursework or gpa for either it or your undergrad. bam, down to 2 pages
yeah those need to go

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the majority of most tech companies remains boring blub crud, whatever stupid-rear end lang they do it in

if you really need to, do a side project (you don't need to)

your specific problem with your specific resume is that it sucks balls. what has been your callback ratio on a resume sendout? are you doing warm touch things?

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Gazpacho posted:

now open for comments, suggestions, insults

or if someone PMs me regarding opportunities in the SF bay area I will buy myself platinum to respond

is your problem getting interviews or converting interviews into offers?

either way, my advice:

- remove your summary, you think it's saying something but it's really not. similarly with the italicized words and technologies you listed at the top

- get your resume down to one page. saying things like "participated in agile planning and development" is fluff -- you are just saying you did your job. call out the most interesting things about your jobs, the things that not every other developer in the world is doing

- be more specific with your bullet points. "implemented product features" means absolutely nothing

- i don't really get this format where you say half the things you did in paragraph format and half the things you did with bullet points

- if you are having trouble getting your resume down to one page, you don't really have to list school courses you took in 1997

Pie Colony fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 6, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you werent doing warm contacts and were sending out your resume we have basically comprehensively explained why your job search sucks so much

the weirdo techs is basically a small and insignificant part of it. legions of peeps write blub code in java all day erryday. your resume just sucks

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

BTW here is the #1 problem I'm facing in a job search: My resume doesn't show experience with the current "it" technologies used in IT. They're just not there.

React? Angular? nope. I made a gradual progression from CGI to Perl page templates to jQuery to a maintaining a horribly demented Backbone application.
Spring? No, I used straight J2EE, then WCF, then Amazon's internal poo poo, then straight J2EE again, then (briefly) a thing called Dropwizard that nobody's heard of.
modern Hibernate? Barely. I used MS entity framework, then Amazon's homegrown prepared statement framework, then legacy XML-based Hibernate that I've mostly forgotten and wouldn't be relevant now anyway.
Microservices? No, I know how to put together a docker image but I haven't done it specifically for a microservice.
NoSQL? No sir.

and that's pretty much how every recruiting call goes

try em out a bit, just enough that you can carry a 5 minute conversation describing how they superficially differ from the things you have more experience with

like "spring? yeah i played around with it a bit, at work we're currently using foo which is similar, with the difference being that you need to bar before you baz"

it can look impressive to already have a basic understanding of a broad set of tools even if you lack in-depth knowledge for most of them

also if nobody youve talked to has even heard of dropwizard then lol maybe youre better off not working there

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i think that resume could say "look at all this poo poo ive done holy poo poo. u need something done im gonna skill up and knock it out". instead its like :words: :words: :words:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
post the next iteration whenever you have it

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the version of my resume that actually gets callbacks covers maaaaybe 1/4 of the time i've spent working. no "implemented features" just cool poo poo i'm proud of and can talk your ear off about five years later. cause the point isn't to tell people about what you did, right, it's to get them thinking about what you could be doing for them

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the purpose of the summary blurb (and to some extent, other passages) is pack in fluff phrases that tend to appear in job descriptions and increase rankings in an automated matching system. whether it's effective at that, I can't say

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 6, 2018

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
oh you just use maven? i apply maven build technology :smug:

(just joking, i think you have a lot of experience and pretty smart, guy, but yeah you should be more direct with your language)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

the version of my resume that actually gets callbacks covers maaaaybe 1/4 of the time i've spent working. no "implemented features" just cool poo poo i'm proud of and can talk your ear off about five years later. cause the point isn't to tell people about what you did, right, it's to get them thinking about what you could be doing for them
how do I say that I could be doing stuff for them when I don't have the techs that they want someone to do stuff in

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

the purpose of the summary blurb is pack in fluff phrases that tend to appear in job descriptions and increase rankings in an automated matching system. whether it's effective at that, I can't say

i have never seen the internals of recruiting software, but i promise you it's not looking for "highly productive guy working independently and collaborating." just remove it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Gazpacho posted:

the purpose of the summary blurb is pack in fluff phrases that tend to appear in job descriptions and increase rankings in an automated matching system. whether it's effective at that, I can't say

the matching systems use tdidf and normalize and poo poo, it doesnt help that much. they certainly don't look for idiot doesntmeananything buzzwords

resume is an advertising document. you are currently doing high-touch sales. make it an advertising document

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Gazpacho posted:

what do i do if i put all my career eggs in software dev and can't get a job

Then, you are hosed

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the other thing is ageism. you could ditch entirely most of the previous jobs and do the "rest of professional experience available on request" and ditch the graduation years and do depressingly better

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gazpacho posted:

the purpose of the summary blurb (and to some extent, other passages) is pack in fluff phrases that tend to appear in job descriptions and increase rankings in an automated matching system. whether it’s effective at that, I can’t say

given the amount of bitching you do about how no one wants to hire you, I think you can say

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

jit bull transpile posted:

given the amount of bitching you do about how no one wants to hire you, I think you can say
ho ho. coming up on recruiter's radars hasn't been that much of a problem. robo-resume manages to do that somewhat, while being, as people have noted, unreadable by a human

i still have the aforementioned coding project through this week, i won't be able to revise the resume until after that

Pie Colony posted:

- be more specific with your bullet points. "implemented product features" means absolutely nothing
I'll try. Several of my jobs have been about keeping old things working after the visionaries had moved on

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 6, 2018

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the message your resume sends is “this guy is full of poo poo.” it has nothing to do with lacking “it” technologies.

I’m not trying to be a dick but that resume is actively working against you. it’s not “needs improvement,” it’s “makes you look terrible and I’d throw it away unless the pipeline was totally empty.”

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

ADINSX posted:

Just remember that there are way easier interview processes out there and while working for Google may be appealing, you'll be able to find something if you keep at it.

...Emphasis on "may" by the way, the pay/perks might be awesome but the mind-blowing inefficiency/bureaucracy doesn't go away after the interview ends, according to friends that work there

thanks for this. helps to hear it with someone your brain can't apply anxiety thoughts to.

i think i'm going to tune up the resume, post it here and do another pass, and shotgun apply afterwords.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Anyone got some good resume templates for developers?

re: summaries

i have a "Highlights" section up front.

as someone that reads a lot of resumes during hiring i kinda like them, if their summary sucks i bin the resume.

i also put in soft-skills there, which is something i look for with senior/lead positions and rarely comes out in the work experience section

then again maybe i like summaries because i get so many resumes that are more than 2 pages (and i NEVER read past page 2)

i guess a case could be made that you're repeating your cover letter with one, but do people even do cover letters anymore? the resumes that get passed to me for review never have them

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

now open for comments, suggestions, insults

or if someone PMs me regarding opportunities in the SF bay area I will buy myself platinum to respond

Here I hooked you up with my LaTeX template, and rewrote poo poo so it fits a single page with what you did and provided. The keywords are at the top so they match, but people can read what you did and provided and then drive the rest through questions. You worked at Amazon and MS, so displaying that in big is not gonna hurt anyway.

https://ferd.ca/cv/gazpacho.pdf

I've put the source of the template in a gist for you https://gist.github.com/ferd/0c3bd6cb4059ff723056cedbcd258b04

E: one thing that might look good is to find any way where you might have gotten a bit higher in ranking over the years. Right now all the jobs are flat software eng., so if one of them was more junior or senior than the others (or that you mentioned any kind of leadership position as long as it's real) then it should help show progression as well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 6, 2018

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

I've been using the one above for a few years. I added a few sections for relevant poo poo like OSS work, publications, and conference talk, which all pad the second page.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Cold on a Cob posted:

heres mine

https://pastebin.com/eFUk2zps

it gets me about 40-75% callbacks depending on how well i target

i get surprisingly good responses to the "i have shipped, for money" bit

note my real name is ostentatiously foreign so that "US Citizen" bit (which is illegal to ask for but not illegal to provide lol)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 6, 2018

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

MononcQc posted:

Here I hooked you up with my LaTeX template, and rewrote poo poo so it fits a single page with what you did and provided. The keywords are at the top so they match, but people can read what you did and provided and then drive the rest through questions. You worked at Amazon and MS, so displaying that in big is not gonna hurt anyway.

this is much, much better. use this.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MononcQc posted:

I've put the source of the template in a gist for you https://gist.github.com/ferd/0c3bd6cb4059ff723056cedbcd258b04

E: one thing that might look good is to find any way where you might have gotten a bit higher in ranking over the years. Right now all the jobs are flat software eng., so if one of them was more junior or senior than the others (or that you mentioned any kind of leadership position as long as it's real) then it should help show progression as well.

This is neat, most important data front and center.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Chalks posted:

A friend recently got a job at deep mind and the interview process sounded absolutely terrible, went on and on forever

Deep mind where?

I'm actually going through the process with them currently and it's been pretty good. Had my first hangout interview 4 days after putting in my CV and the 3rd interview is on site so the whole process will only have taken about 2 weeks.

I wanted to ask some advice in this thread as it's my first time going through this as I'm a clinician so the process is pretty alien to me. I've looked up the people scheduled to interview me and read some of their work to prepare as well as writing down some questions to ask (including the ones from the OP).

There's no HR person scheduled so when does the discussion of compensation come up? Is this something that would be brought up only if an offer is made or should I talk about it with one of the program managers I'm meeting?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Deep mind where?

I'm actually going through the process with them currently and it's been pretty good. Had my first hangout interview 4 days after putting in my CV and the 3rd interview is on site so the whole process will only have taken about 2 weeks.

I wanted to ask some advice in this thread as it's my first time going through this as I'm a clinician so the process is pretty alien to me. I've looked up the people scheduled to interview me and read some of their work to prepare as well as writing down some questions to ask (including the ones from the OP).

There's no HR person scheduled so when does the discussion of compensation come up? Is this something that would be brought up only if an offer is made or should I talk about it with one of the program managers I'm meeting?

after offer letter comes, you balk politely and ask for more poo poo

e: try reeeeeal hard not to say a number first

https://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 6, 2018

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

somehow the non-profit healthcare place i've interviewed twice at hasn't asked for a number yet

must be a sign of what's to come :ohdear:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

kloa posted:

non-profit

you bout to be screwed friendo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
non-profits offer decent benefits (sometimes) and generous time-off allowances

what they dont offer are market rate salaries

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

their pto, according to glassdoor, has everyone starting out with 6 weeks off per year, so that's worth something at least :yosnice:

i was hoping since they weren't for-profit, that they'd invest in their employees, but i guess that's too much to expect these days

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol non-profit doesn't mean they don't make profits nor that they aren't profit focused

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

after offer letter comes, you balk politely and ask for more poo poo

e: try reeeeeal hard not to say a number first

https://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/

Awesome I will give that a read.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

MononcQc posted:

gazpacho if you use this resume you must buy a copy of lyse. new, not used

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

lol non-profit doesn't mean they don't make profits nor that they aren't profit focused
most for-profit corporations seethe with envy at the corruption the likes of fifa and the ioc can get away with

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

most for-profit corporations seethe with envy at the corruption the likes of fifa and the ioc can get away with

a large part of that sort of corruption is turbofuckin their employees

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

gazpacho if you use this resume you must buy a copy of lyse. new, not used

you can buy a copy of my newer book instead, it gives me a bit more every time as well (https://propertesting.com)

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
so i guess I passed a technical phone screen well enough that they want to have an onsite. it includes something called an OO design exercise. the only vaguely object oriented programming language i have ever used is javascript. time to learn object oriented design i guess.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

that's a euro thing more than a non-profit thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

a large part of that sort of corruption is turbofuckin their employees

nah if you're loving your employees it gives them reasons to snitch. you want to keep them close and happy.