Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It seems like the one-star is mostly from issues other than specifically protecting the occupants in a crash - it doesn't have poo poo for crash-avoidance technology or anything to not turn pedestrians into hamburger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the A pillar (lack of) stability and intrusion is Bad

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

zapplez posted:

You'd be surprised the amount of people in their 30s,40s,50s, etc that will buy a piece of poo poo like a jeep patriot or a chrylser 200 because in their bizarro minds they think its cool, even though they know they are going to be money pits. (or not quite piece of poo poo cars that are fun but still money pits like a mini)

How dare people buy cars for any reason other than lowest cost of ownership.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i agree with you, but if you buy a chrysler 200 for any other reason than you or your family members are in Local 412 then you are too stupid to live

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Buy a dodge neon, it's cheap and affordable!

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Deteriorata posted:

How dare people buy cars for any reason other than lowest cost of ownership.

This is the car recommendation thread. Not sure what other type of critique you'd expect in here besides "whats the cheapest cost-to-own, safest and occasionally fun car". Anytime you can get someone that can buy a Camry and not be embarrassed by it is a good thing. There are so, sooo many rolled over chrysler into jeep loans out there where you have a guy paying 63k on a patriot.

edit: do you drive a jeep or a chrysler?

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 6, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

zapplez posted:

This is the car recommendation thread. Not sure what other type of critique you'd expect in here besides "whats the cheapest cost-to-own, safest and occasionally fun car".

You really think that's an effective way to recommend cars in all circumstances? That works for someone looking for a particular appliance, but there have been plenty of people looking for the right type of fun for them that have asked here and didn't have a budget of crumpled up dollar bills and pocket lint.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

zapplez posted:

This is the car recommendation thread. Not sure what other type of critique you'd expect in here besides "whats the cheapest cost-to-own, safest and occasionally fun car". Anytime you can get someone that can buy a Camry and not be embarrassed by it is a good thing. There are so, sooo many rolled over chrysler into jeep loans out there where you have a guy paying 63k on a patriot.

He owns a miata with an italian engine

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Motronic posted:

You really think that's an effective way to recommend cars in all circumstances? That works for someone looking for a particular appliance, but there have been plenty of people looking for the right type of fun for them that have asked here and didn't have a budget of crumpled up dollar bills and pocket lint.

Of course it shouldn't always be the focus. But when you have someone asking for recommendations and cost-to-own and reliability are the most important factors, and they don't mind a camry, you tell them to buy the loving camry.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Camry is a good car regardless of its reputation, that's why it sells so well. The newest one has a 200hp I4 or 300hp V6 with direct injection, switching between otto and atkinson cycle, 8 speed transmission, full speed radar cruise/pedestrian detection/auto brake and radar based auto dimming hi-beams standard. Do people really think they are being cool and different by buying a Passat or some other car that's fundamentally worse in every way? Who are these loving edgelords.

EDIT: Every generation for the twenty years or so when the Camry is 4 years old Ford or GM releases a car with a 1.4l turbo engine or a dual clutch or some other awful undrivable technology in a midsize car that almost comes close to matching the base model Camry's fuel economy in the EPA cycle and the automotive media is like HOLY poo poo IS FORD/GM FINALLY COMING BACK AGAINST THE JAPANESE and now Ford's finally given up lol

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 7, 2018

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Well then, based on the last few replies, I think the answer to my question might be "The Camry", but I'll go ahead and fill the template out anyway.

Backstory: smashed up my 2008 Ford Focus SE on an icy bridge in PA on the way home from Thanksgiving, so I need a car reasonably quick here; probably going to spend all day Saturday on this project (and maybe then some)

Proposed Budget: $25k max-ish, lower is better (financing will be required)
New or Used: Probably 2016 or newer. I don't have a garage to work on stuff, so warranties are nice probably a requirement. (Someday I'll have a garage . . . )
Body Style: 4 door, larger than the Focus: Midsize Sedan, Fullsize Sedan, Truck, and SUV would all fit the bill. I'm a homeowner, so a truck would certainly be USEFUL (and sometimes I miss my old ones), but I also have a toddler so interior room is also important. I doubt my budget and requirements will really move into "Truck and SUV" territory, though. (although I've heard of some crazy good deals, so I guess you never know)
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, but my commute is short (12 mins); long trips twice a year max (14-16 hours); shorter trips 4 times a year or so (3 hours).
What aspects are most important to you? Ranked:
1). Reliability
2). Reliability
3). Acceleration That Does Not Suck (trying to pass a semi in the Focus on a two-lane road felt like I needed a quarter-mile running start; gently caress that, never again)
4). Comfort (I realize this is quite subjective)
5). Low maintenance cost
6). Looks somewhat not terrible (also subjective, but I'd like to shoot for "somewhat better looking than the Focus" here)
Errata:
a). I work for a large employer in town, so there are discounts to be had on new cars; I'd be balancing that against buying a newish, lower-mileage used
b). I tend to keep vehicles until they either completely fail from age, or are taken from me too soon (I got the Focus in '09 with 13k miles, it had 97k miles on it; I was planning on trying to get another 100k out of it)
c). Gadgets and tech are nice, but not a requirement
d). My dad is a (retired) mechanic, so that's a lifeline if I need it, but I prefer not to bother him with my bullshit
e). My rental is an Elantra, which probably fits the bill, but even a bit larger would be nice. (Note: I hated the acceleration until I became aware of the concept of "Modes", and Sport Mode seems to bring the acceleration up from "unacceptable" to "acceptable")

Edit: Things that would be really helpful for me, aside from recommending a make/model, would be along the lines of "be sure to get XXXXXX engine, the YYYYYY engine is completely terrible" or "make sure it includes this feature"; things of that nature.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 7, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

congratulations on your new honda CR-V

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

zapplez posted:

People buy cars for lots of reasons. This thread is to help them buy the one that best fits what they say they want. That's usually the cheapest or most practical, but not always. I have no problem with recommending a Mini or FIAT 500 if that seems like the kind of car a poster says they want. A practical car that you hate is a bad car for you.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Deteriorata posted:

People buy cars for lots of reasons. This thread is to help them buy the one that best fits what they say they want. That's usually the cheapest or most practical, but not always. I have no problem with recommending a Mini or FIAT 500 if that seems like the kind of car a poster says they want. A practical car that you hate is a bad car for you.

About 95% of the time people are asking for advice in here, they specify reliability or cost to own as a main consideration. Recommending them a Fiat would be dumb. The rare posters in here that are more concerned with style or fun usually have a few cars in mind and we can point out what is recommended from there. No one is telling the guy who is obsessed with off roading to buy a corolla. Or they guy that wants to tour wine country with the top down a camry.

However the guys that want a good,reliable car are going to get recommended the same good cars nearly every time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i don't think you guys are disagreeing here

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i don't think you guys are disagreeing here

No, just some people love to hate on the "appliance" cars. The rest of us have had enough cars with "soul" that we just want something that loving works.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i hate appliance cars too but they're really good for most people!

edit: i really hate that it is basically impossible to buy a car that is both reliable and fun to drive other than a discontinued Honda (S2000), the Miata, and the Civic Si. gently caress toyota for not making any both interesting and reliable product

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Which should I pick? :)

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/chevrol...%201E7&sprx=100

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/mazda/m...o4oHA43lLdhH0_I

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I'd go with the Mazda, but you should probably drive them and see which you like best yourself.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Can I get some advice to for pricing my old car to sell quick:

2009 Impreza 2.5i, located Connecticut

191,000 miles

Runs well, heat and A/C all good. Has had Takata airbag recall service done.

Issues:
Valve cover oil leak, possible other oil leak
Control arm bushings dry rotted
Battery service required
Muffler flanges rusted out
Heat shield rattle
Recommended fluid change in diffs
Hole in carpet near left foot rest driver side
Dent on passenger side front quarter as shown in pics
Has recently installed used tires, approx 7/32" depth. Needs alignment

Emissions due 26 Jan 2019

Pics: https://ibb.co/album/jRZCtv

Moving back to Australia in 10 days (heck), so need to move quickly. Is $2k reasonable or optimistic? My backstop is $600 to sell to a junk car place

Thanks!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

simmyb posted:

Can I get some advice to for pricing my old car to sell quick:

2009 Impreza 2.5i, located Connecticut

191,000 miles

Runs well, heat and A/C all good. Has had Takata airbag recall service done.

Issues:
Valve cover oil leak, possible other oil leak
Control arm bushings dry rotted
Battery service required
Muffler flanges rusted out
Heat shield rattle
Recommended fluid change in diffs
Hole in carpet near left foot rest driver side
Dent on passenger side front quarter as shown in pics
Has recently installed used tires, approx 7/32" depth. Needs alignment

Emissions due 26 Jan 2019

Pics: https://ibb.co/album/jRZCtv

Moving back to Australia in 10 days (heck), so need to move quickly. Is $2k reasonable or optimistic? My backstop is $600 to sell to a junk car place

Thanks!

None of those issues are particularly serious. You could probably get twice that or more, but you are also in no position to be fussy. $2k should move pretty quickly. The danger in pricing too low is that people will assume something is fishy and pass it up.

Maybe post it at 3k and take lower if offered? It's a matter of what it's worth to you to be rid of it, rather than its absolute value on the market.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Deteriorata posted:

I'd go with the Mazda, but you should probably drive them and see which you like best yourself.

After days of debate and test drives and stress I decided to go with the 2011 Chevy Cruze with 45kms on it. 1 owner (older man), no accidents, good condition. Free snow tires on rims and they gave me the highest trade in rate for my car. (offsets their not amazing price) And for someone with bad credit that can't get a proper bank loan, this was my best bet I think. Snapped it up before anybody else could at that KMS.

Thank you to the people that offered me advice despite not taking all of it. I really appreciate it :) Hopefully this'll do me well!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
To make you feel better I was thinking that, while I would rather own the Mazda even with its higher miles, I'd probably recommend a 50km decent sedan over a 130km "drivers" sedan for most of my friends and family. I dont know much about the Cruze but I think you chose a Good Car.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alizee posted:

After days of debate and test drives and stress I decided to go with the 2011 Chevy Cruze with 45kms on it. 1 owner (older man), no accidents, good condition. Free snow tires on rims and they gave me the highest trade in rate for my car. (offsets their not amazing price) And for someone with bad credit that can't get a proper bank loan, this was my best bet I think. Snapped it up before anybody else could at that KMS.

Thank you to the people that offered me advice despite not taking all of it. I really appreciate it :) Hopefully this'll do me well!

For someone that is on a tight budget the fact you will have snow tires is amazing. Could save you and your families life someday. So even if you have some chevy problems, it doesn't seem like you made a bad choice. Hope you enjoy your new ride.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the 1.8 MPI is fairly indestructible and is probably a better engine for your needs than the 1.4 turbos that came in higher trims

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Zarin posted:

Well then, based on the last few replies, I think the answer to my question might be "The Camry", but I'll go ahead and fill the template out anyway.

Backstory: smashed up my 2008 Ford Focus SE on an icy bridge in PA on the way home from Thanksgiving, so I need a car reasonably quick here; probably going to spend all day Saturday on this project (and maybe then some)

Proposed Budget: $25k max-ish, lower is better (financing will be required)
New or Used: Probably 2016 or newer. I don't have a garage to work on stuff, so warranties are nice probably a requirement. (Someday I'll have a garage . . . )
Body Style: 4 door, larger than the Focus: Midsize Sedan, Fullsize Sedan, Truck, and SUV would all fit the bill. I'm a homeowner, so a truck would certainly be USEFUL (and sometimes I miss my old ones), but I also have a toddler so interior room is also important. I doubt my budget and requirements will really move into "Truck and SUV" territory, though. (although I've heard of some crazy good deals, so I guess you never know)
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, but my commute is short (12 mins); long trips twice a year max (14-16 hours); shorter trips 4 times a year or so (3 hours).
What aspects are most important to you? Ranked:
1). Reliability
2). Reliability
3). Acceleration That Does Not Suck (trying to pass a semi in the Focus on a two-lane road felt like I needed a quarter-mile running start; gently caress that, never again)
4). Comfort (I realize this is quite subjective)
5). Low maintenance cost
6). Looks somewhat not terrible (also subjective, but I'd like to shoot for "somewhat better looking than the Focus" here)
Errata:
a). I work for a large employer in town, so there are discounts to be had on new cars; I'd be balancing that against buying a newish, lower-mileage used
b). I tend to keep vehicles until they either completely fail from age, or are taken from me too soon (I got the Focus in '09 with 13k miles, it had 97k miles on it; I was planning on trying to get another 100k out of it)
c). Gadgets and tech are nice, but not a requirement
d). My dad is a (retired) mechanic, so that's a lifeline if I need it, but I prefer not to bother him with my bullshit
e). My rental is an Elantra, which probably fits the bill, but even a bit larger would be nice. (Note: I hated the acceleration until I became aware of the concept of "Modes", and Sport Mode seems to bring the acceleration up from "unacceptable" to "acceptable")

Edit: Things that would be really helpful for me, aside from recommending a make/model, would be along the lines of "be sure to get XXXXXX engine, the YYYYYY engine is completely terrible" or "make sure it includes this feature"; things of that nature.

Update:

Started looking later than I wanted today, so I didn't make it to a Camry yet. I started with the dealer that I had been going to for service on the Focus. My dad introduced me to the salesman that sold him a few cars in the past, and I ended up test driving a couple Fusions.

I tried a 2019 with the 1.5L, and it was decidedly "meh" on acceleration. I wanted to get a feel for the 2.0L AWD version, so I found a model with both that and Adaptive Cruise Control, since I wanted to try that as well.
Extremely Richard Nixon Voice: My God.

Everyone who said that ACC was a game-changer wasn't kidding around; the amount of extra fiddling around I had to do on the highway to maintain speeds before this is just . . . gone. I don't think I'm going to be able to even look at cars without it at this point.

Anyone familiar with how reliable Fusions are supposed to be? (Specifically the 2.0L AWD version?) I'm about to start looking around on that, but I certainly wouldn't mind Goon Input, either.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Current gen fusions don't have an A+ reliablity record but they are good still. Their previous generation (eg 2008-2011) was one of the most reliable american sedans being made at that time. Fusions have great looks, I drove one in 2013 but found the I4 then gutless.

Fusion will def not be a "bad choice", they are a good car in that 2nd tier just below Camry/Accord/Sonata, . Its sits around with the Malibu/Legacy/Passat/etc.

If you find it fits you well, you like the looks, get the features you want at a good price, it can be a good decision.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I've got a family member that's shopping for a used replacement for their 2007 Focus (complete with Spider-Man font).

She found a 2017 Niro for cheap, like 15.3 (when most are in the 17-19 range).

Turns out the personal lease owner drove the thing like 35k miles in a 12 month period. I'm not adverse to some mileage, but that was either one poo poo commute, a great traveling salesman, or the world's most active Lyft/Uberite.

Records show regular oil changes every 5k, then 10k after the first year. I'm wary, am I just crazy???

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

FilthyImp posted:

I've got a family member that's shopping for a used replacement for their 2007 Focus (complete with Spider-Man font).

Turns out the personal lease owner drove the thing like 35k miles in a 12 month period. I'm not adverse to some mileage, but that was either one poo poo commute, a great traveling salesman, or the world's most active Lyft/Uberite.

Records show regular oil changes every 5k, then 10k after the first year. I'm wary, am I just crazy???

Well it's not common but if I were the type of person who drove that much I would also get a hybrid, so not that surprising?

I think it's probably fine - highway miles are not all that stressful on a car's drivetrain other than the tires, and they would all be highway miles because it would be physically impossible to rack up that many city miles, and the hybrid system would alleviate some concerns about the dual clutch transmission. Stop and go and low speed city driving kill dual clutch transmissions, but IIRC on the Niro was designed with that in mind and the car just runs in EV mode at low speeds which alleviates a lot of the clutch slippage and should extend the life of he transmission by a lot.

But you are paying less money for a high mileage vehicle, so I dunno if it's a particularly good deal or not. I mean you can look at stuff like how worn the seats, steering wheel, center console and stuff like that are, and they would be on a high mileage car, and see if you can live with it.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FilthyImp posted:

I'd be very concerned that the vehicle was in fact used commercially. Either as an Uber/Lyft or some kind of similiar food delivery service. Assuming they were working a regular job and just commuted to work daily, they would have about 250 working days a year. So unless you believe there daily commute was 140 miles, something fishy might have been going on. Think about your metro area, you might have people that live an hour away that commute to a major city each day. But how many people have a 3 hour commute. Did this guy really?

One thing to check, read the cars computer / driver system. Its the same area as your engine oil change reminders, coolant temp, trip counters, etc. Most manufactures will tell you two things you want to take a look at

"Average speed" and "Engine Hours"

If the average speed is abnormally low or high, you should be concerned. If the average speed is under 20 mph, you can assume it was being driven as a taxi in the city or was stuck in major traffic all the time, neither are good for the car. The lower the average speed, you know it wasnt "highway miles" that used up the 35k miles.

Check the "Engine hours" as well. An abnormally high amount of engine hours indicates a uber/taxi having the car running but not moving while they queue for the next ride. This is something you always would check for when buying a pickup to try and see if it was being used by a business or just by a homeowner. If the engine hours exceed 1500 or so hours, I'd be concerned.

And if it was used commercially, don't buy that loving Kia. Some cars can handle commercial use and keep going for hundreds of thousands of miles after. Camrys,Prius,Impalas,Crown Vics, etc etc. Kia is not a fleet car. Although there passenger cars have gotten a lot more reliable these days then 10 or 20 years ago, a lot of their components are simply engineered for a 5 year / 100k mile lifespan and are not heavy duty. That being said, the Niro model is seen as it will have good reliability, but some of that is simply because its a hybrid.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 9, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm still wrapping my head around wanting a Dodge Nitro. They're unmitigated poo poo.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

zapplez posted:

I'd be very concerned that the vehicle was in fact used commercially. Either as an Uber/Lyft or some kind of similiar food delivery service. Assuming they were working a regular job and just commuted to work daily, they would have about 250 working days a year. So unless you believe there daily commute was 140 miles, something fishy might have been going on. Think about your metro area, you might have people that live an hour away that commute to a major city each day. But how many people have a 3 hour commute. Did this guy really?

One thing to check, read the cars computer / driver system. Its the same area as your engine oil change reminders, coolant temp, trip counters, etc. Most manufactures will tell you two things you want to take a look at

"Average speed" and "Engine Hours"

If the average speed is abnormally low or high, you should be concerned. If the average speed is under 20 mph, you can assume it was being driven as a taxi in the city or was stuck in major traffic all the time, neither are good for the car. The lower the average speed, you know it wasnt "highway miles" that used up the 35k miles.

Check the "Engine hours" as well. An abnormally high amount of engine hours indicates a uber/taxi having the car running but not moving while they queue for the next ride. This is something you always would check for when buying a pickup to try and see if it was being used by a business or just by a homeowner. If the engine hours exceed 1500 or so hours, I'd be concerned.

And if it was used commercially, don't buy that loving Kia. Some cars can handle commercial use and keep going for hundreds of thousands of miles after. Camrys,Prius,Impalas,Crown Vics, etc etc. Kia is not a fleet car. Although there passenger cars have gotten a lot more reliable these days then 10 or 20 years ago, a lot of their components are simply engineered for a 5 year / 100k mile lifespan and are not heavy duty. That being said, the Niro model is seen as it will have good reliability, but some of that is simply because its a hybrid.

I didn't even know this information was available to the end-user, that's pretty awesome. I'll definitely check them out on the Fusion I'm looking at, then.

It has 23k miles that were put on in 11 months; the dealership website lists this car as "Factory Exec Driven". Interestingly, the vehicle was leased in Kentucky, had one oil change in West Virginia, and one oil change in Ohio, then went to auction in Indiana. I showed this info to my brother (who used to work IT at Ford), and he said the locations sounded somewhat familiar and Ford probably does have plants around those places.

Full detail if anyone is curious: https://www.veldefordpekin.com/autocheck.aspx?sv=MwBGAEEANgBQADAAVAA5ADQASgBSADEAMQAyADAAMQA2AA%3d%3d&ac=NQAwADIANAA0ADMANAA%3d

This thing has a ton of features on it, some which I care about, some I don't, and some that I'm sure I'll want as requirements in my next car if I get too used to them. I'll have to sit down, rank those out, and see what Toyota has to offer on Monday.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 9, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zarin posted:

I didn't even know this information was available to the end-user, that's pretty awesome. I'll definitely check them out on the Fusion I'm looking at, then.

It has 23k miles that were put on in 11 months; the dealership website lists this car as "Factory Exec Driven". Interestingly, the vehicle was leased in Kentucky, had one oil change in West Virginia, and one oil change in Ohio, then went to auction in Indiana. I showed this info to my brother (who used to work IT at Ford), and he said the locations sounded somewhat familiar and Ford probably does have plants around those places.

Full detail if anyone is curious: https://www.veldefordpekin.com/autocheck.aspx?sv=MwBGAEEANgBQADAAVAA5ADQASgBSADEAMQAyADAAMQA2AA%3d%3d&ac=NQAwADIANAA0ADMANAA%3d

This thing has a ton of features on it, some which I care about, some I don't, and some that I'm sure I'll want as requirements in my next car if I get too used to them. I'll have to sit down, rank those out, and see what Toyota has to offer on Monday.

23k miles isnt that unreasonable. It might actually be a fleet car that was driven by a guy that works in five different states or whatever.

I'd still cross shop Hyundai as well. The current model Sonata is pretty great.You will save 2-5 grand depending on model versus the equivalent Toyota, and I think they look better these days.

On that dealer website, they have several comparable 2018 used fusions. I'd buy one of them thats under 10000 miles, not the one double that. Any of the "platinum" editions have all the stuff you want.
https://www.veldefordpekin.com/used-Pekin-2018-Ford-Fusion-Titanium-3FA6P0D97JR154789

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 9, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm still wrapping my head around wanting a Dodge Nitro. They're unmitigated poo poo.

Kia Niro. Its a crossover hybrid. Unless you are just bringing up another chrysler piece of poo poo from the previous argument.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

zapplez posted:

23k miles isnt that unreasonable. It might actually be a fleet car that was driven by a guy that works in five different states or whatever.

I'd still cross shop Hyundai as well. The current model Sonata is pretty great.You will save 2-5 grand depending on model versus the equivalent Toyota, and I think they look better these days.

On that dealer website, they have several comparable 2018 used fusions. I'd buy one of them thats under 10000 miles, not the one double that. Any of the "platinum" editions have all the stuff you want.
https://www.veldefordpekin.com/used-Pekin-2018-Ford-Fusion-Titanium-3FA6P0D97JR154789

The Platinum and Titanium ones don't seem to have the Adaptive Cruise; as far as I can tell, this was the only Fusion on the lot with it; I'll check again if I go back. Which is a shame; they had some GORGEOUS new and used ones with a gray/blue metallic paint.

My plan was to leave work early on Monday, go test-drive whatever I can until the dealers close, sleep on it, and then go back Tuesday and fill out the paperwork for whatever I decide. I figure I will only have time for one dealer, but maybe I could squeeze two in.

For Hyundai, I assume the comparable car is the Sonata? I was also thinking about maybe looking at an Accord too, but I think I'm just gonna be out of time. :sigh:

Are one of the two above considered more reliable than the other? The reason I was going to cross against the Camry was because they're so legendary for lasting forever. Historically, I'm the type of person that buys a car and drives it until it no longer makes sense to try and keep it running. My plan was definitely not to have to try and find my next one on a time crunch, heh.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

zapplez posted:

Kia Niro. Its a crossover hybrid. Unless you are just bringing up another chrysler piece of poo poo from the previous argument.

Welp I apparently can't loving read today :downs:

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zarin posted:

The Platinum and Titanium ones don't seem to have the Adaptive Cruise; as far as I can tell, this was the only Fusion on the lot with it; I'll check again if I go back. Which is a shame; they had some GORGEOUS new and used ones with a gray/blue metallic paint.

My plan was to leave work early on Monday, go test-drive whatever I can until the dealers close, sleep on it, and then go back Tuesday and fill out the paperwork for whatever I decide. I figure I will only have time for one dealer, but maybe I could squeeze two in.

For Hyundai, I assume the comparable car is the Sonata? I was also thinking about maybe looking at an Accord too, but I think I'm just gonna be out of time. :sigh:

Are one of the two above considered more reliable than the other? The reason I was going to cross against the Camry was because they're so legendary for lasting forever. Historically, I'm the type of person that buys a car and drives it until it no longer makes sense to try and keep it running. My plan was definitely not to have to try and find my next one on a time crunch, heh.

Toyota>>Hyundai / Honda >> Mazda >> Ford >>>>>>>>>>>>> VW > GM >>>>>>>>>>>>>> BMW/ Benz >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chrysler

Very,very roughly.

But yeah, the Camry is bulletproof. The sonata is very, very reliable. The Fusion is "good". But its comparing having 1 or 2 minor issues instead of 3 over 5 or 10 years, almost all newer cars are fairly reliable. They aren't going to leave you stranded at the side of the road like an 1993 pontiac anymore. Well, unless you buy something really bad

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 9, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

there honestly isn't anything that's that much of a lemon these days

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Let me introduce you to a girl named Giulia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They are a lot less common but they still happen. Not in the old 'door falls off the pillar when you close it' but more in have to add a quart of oil every week way. The new honda I4 turbos in the civic are having a ton of problems and there is no fix in sight. The focus/fiesta auto trannies were terrible for years, etc etc.

But overall, out of each 100 new cars made, like 95 of them are ok to good. When in the 90s that would have been more like 60 out of 100.