Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

*PUNCH* posted:

I will cop to basically always carrying my skis with my shoulder between the toe and heel pieces, because poo poo balances nicely like that and there's less to swing behind me, and gently caress it, it's been too long since I've carried like a dipshit, where the gently caress is my season god dammit. I miss carrying skis and that is a hosed up thing to miss
If you carry with tips forward and the front of the front binding just behind your shoulder, the skis will balance well at a steeper angle (so tips down tails up) which gets the tails up and away from people's heads and makes it easier/safer to maneuver in crowded areas. It is more difficult to maintain this angle if your shoulder is between the bindings instead of in front of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU5cftDHOqo

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My xc skis are so light I keep them in my back pocket. I force levitate my alpine skis.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Tips up. Who flips their skis upside down to put them on their shoulders?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Ola posted:

After running intervals, I xc ski'd one lap of the local athletics track. About 1/2" of snow/light hail. Good pole bite in the tartan track. Yeah I'm getting pretty desperate.

https://twitter.com/OlaMarvin/status/1070041287670329345

we're about two weeks into xc season here and they've finally started setting classic tracks. I'm doing a 50k race in late january on skate skis and am so so hosed. I did the 24k version last year on about as much total prep as I've done in the past 10 days and it was fun and I only cramped on a hill and stopped four people dead behind me once, so why not do the full distance?

my big takeaway so far with this sport is that skating is a ritualistic act of self-embarrassment via lungs, legs, coordination, and fashion.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What about people who have twin tips?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

we're about two weeks into xc season here and they've finally started setting classic tracks. I'm doing a 50k race in late january on skate skis and am so so hosed. I did the 24k version last year on about as much total prep as I've done in the past 10 days and it was fun and I only cramped on a hill and stopped four people dead behind me once, so why not do the full distance?

my big takeaway so far with this sport is that skating is a ritualistic act of self-embarrassment via lungs, legs, coordination, and fashion.

Haha, yeah! Where is the race? I'm doing 38 km in April, Skarverennet in the Norwegian mountains. It's starts with 230 m climb over 5k, at present a 20 m climb knocks all the air out of me for a good few minutes. Hope to build some technique and endurance before then. It got cancelled due to bad weather last season, hope it works out this time. It looks like a fantastic experience when the weather is good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek1cyTWtFmc

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The real answer is to carry them with love.

If not on a backpack it is tips down, front of binding behind shoulder. The only way. Like Bawfuls posted.

E: yes I am that lazy from the gondola to parking lot at keystone...

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 5, 2018

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

bawfuls posted:

If you carry with tips forward and the front of the front binding just behind your shoulder, the skis will balance well at a steeper angle (so tips down tails up) which gets the tails up and away from people's heads and makes it easier/safer to maneuver in crowded areas. It is more difficult to maintain this angle if your shoulder is between the bindings instead of in front of them.

You Look Like poo poo › Ski and Snowboard 18/19: Tips Down, Tails Up - That's The Way We Like To gently caress

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Apparently skiboarding is a thing. Looks hard to really carve on them. Anyone actually tried it?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rated PG-34 posted:

Apparently skiboarding is a thing. Looks hard to really carve on them. Anyone actually tried it?

It was a thing in 1998. I am pretty sure mine and my brothers are in my dad's barn. In college we used to ride them on Wednesday nights for fun. Hey them from the rental shop for free. It was stupid but fun.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

bawfuls posted:

Nobody carries their skis flat though when carrying tips up. They are still angled up and they are easier and takes up less space removing them from your shoulder.

I feel like removing your tip down skis from your shoulder means you either flipping them down your back or over your shoulder.

Carry your skis like you ski: tips up

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

TMMadman posted:

Nobody carries their skis flat though when carrying tips up. They are still angled up and they are easier and takes up less space removing them from your shoulder.

Never been to a ski resort eh?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

spwrozek posted:

Never been to a ski resort eh?

Haha yeah I suppose I shouldn't have said nobody. Maybe nobody smart

But I certainly carry at an angle with my tips up.

Edit - I think the important thing about carrying skis is just being aware of your space and recognizing that no matter how you carry the skis, they are taking up space and you need to be careful.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 5, 2018

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

TMMadman posted:

Haha yeah I suppose I shouldn't have said nobody. Maybe nobody smart

But I certainly carry at an angle with my tips up.
you can not as easily balance them at as steep an angle with the tips up

the point of the method i described is to make the angle steep enough to keep the skis (that are behind your head and out of your vision) away from other people's heads

there's a reason the method i described is called "the local" in that tgr video

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Ola posted:

Haha, yeah! Where is the race? I'm doing 38 km in April, Skarverennet in the Norwegian mountains. It's starts with 230 m climb over 5k, at present a 20 m climb knocks all the air out of me for a good few minutes. Hope to build some technique and endurance before then. It got cancelled due to bad weather last season, hope it works out this time. It looks like a fantastic experience when the weather is good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek1cyTWtFmc

Dang that looks gorgeous and brutal with those extended open climbs. We simply don't have that kind of terrain around here, but plenty of punchy rolling hills.

The race I'm doing is the Noquemanon in Marquette, Michigan. The half version is rad because it's net ~900ft/250m of sometimes terrifying descending but the first half has a lot of sharp up and down:

My wife and I were going to do the American Birkebiener this year in wisconsin but we have a ski patrol exam that weekend. I was pit crew for her last year and it's an insane amount of people that show up, like 10,000+ racers. Just a constant steady stream for hours and hours on end.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

HookShot posted:

I see people carrying their skis like this at LEAST ten times a day.

Of course, I was just making a joke about the Esquire models.

Dangerllama posted:

Tips up. Who flips their skis upside down to put them on their shoulders?

Everyone who has a clue. Take a look around next time you're at a ski area. The people who ski a lot (racers, instructors, patrollers, locals, dirt bags, etc.) will all, for the most part, be carrying their poo poo like this:

Further reading: https://unofficialnetworks.com/2012/11/16/carrying-skis-properly-lesson-idiots/

I hope this post was educational

ironlung fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 6, 2018

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

look at this loving gaper carrying his skis all weird!

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Got out on my new enforcers today, albeit only on Midwest groomers, and boy do they make me happy. Can not wait to try them in some power.

Also lol, just lol, if you don’t carry your skis in a clattering catastrophic heap like the black and white disaster scene at the start of an infomercial.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I would like to welcome Glen back to the thread it has been too long.

By the way he looks super old now.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

spwrozek posted:

It was a thing in 1998. I am pretty sure mine and my brothers are in my dad's barn. In college we used to ride them on Wednesday nights for fun. Hey them from the rental shop for free. It was stupid but fun.

https://youtu.be/_X5LYEDRWFE

Saw this vid show up in my recs and looks like they still make them. That YouTube guy wears them without releasable bindings lol

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rated PG-34 posted:

https://youtu.be/_X5LYEDRWFE

Saw this vid show up in my recs and looks like they still make them. That YouTube guy wears them without releasable bindings lol

They all came without releasable bindings at first. Hilarious if the still make them. I love seeing people trying to ride them on a powder day.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

TIL I’ve been carrying my skis wrong for 34 years. Never had an issue finding a balance point with the tips high and the tails low :shrug:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

spwrozek posted:

They all came without releasable bindings at first. Hilarious if the still make them. I love seeing people trying to ride them on a powder day.

did they ever come with releasable bindings? i've only ever used an OG pair of snowblades that i got when I was like 11

those things fuckin ruled. we used to take em out on powder days and see how many moguls we could clear while intentionally cratering

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

did they ever come with releasable bindings? i've only ever used an OG pair of snowblades that i got when I was like 11

those things fuckin ruled. we used to take em out on powder days and see how many moguls we could clear while intentionally cratering

When I was at tech we used to ride them at Ripley for fun. They had like 30 pair in the rental shop.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

we have a pair of teleblades stashed in the patrol room somewhere. one of our house rules is you are NEVER allowed to wear them with your patrol coat on

some people just hate fun

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Not sure if I’m more excited for my first turns of the season or for showing off my improved ski carrying style

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Got to have that steezy style. Turns good too.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Skiboard != Snowblade if there was any confusion. The former are long and wide boards that are worn like skis

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Lookit all the Jerrys in this thread who don't know how to carry their skis.

bawfuls posted:

YES!

ironlung posted:

Of course, I was just making a joke about the Esquire models.

Everyone who has a clue. Take a look around next time you're at a ski area. The people who ski a lot (racers, instructors, patrollers, locals, dirt bags, etc.) will all, for the most part, be carrying their poo poo like this:

Further reading: https://unofficialnetworks.com/2012/11/16/carrying-skis-properly-lesson-idiots/

I hope this post was educational
Yeah, it's this. When you're carrying four pairs of skis around, you learn how to do it as efficiently as possible.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

30 runs in today at Steamboat. Great skiing.

Yeah it's fair to say we are close to best ever shape for this time of year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Rated PG-34 posted:

Skiboard != Snowblade if there was any confusion. The former are long and wide boards that are worn like skis
can you show us some visual aids to demonstrate this distinction? Cause "long and wide boards that are worn like skis" just sounds like skis to me

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Moey posted:

That is cooler than any bar I have ever been to.

Where at?

https://www.tellurideskiresort.com/groups-weddings/weddings/gorrono-ranch-weddings/

Building on the right in the first photo.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

can you show us some visual aids to demonstrate this distinction? Cause "long and wide boards that are worn like skis" just sounds like skis to me

http://www.rvl8skiboards.com/

they're wider than skis and like 100cm

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Disinterested posted:

Yeah it's fair to say we are close to best ever shape for this time of year.

Yeah I think it was 110 open trails.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Rated PG-34 posted:

those are just weird rear end snowblades imo

also ROFL at *still* putting non-release bindings on those things, especially at that length!

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Rated PG-34 posted:

So, help me understand. Are these easier to float in powder than regular length skis but more difficult than a snowboard?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I don't buy that a 100cm long ski with a 137mm waist width floats better in powder than my 189cm long, 135mm waist width Armada Bubbas.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Has anyone skied the alps? I'm curious what the border crossing is like from Germany to Austria. Like, I'm wondering if I should stay in a place that is in Austria and ski in Germany or if that will be a pain in the rear end.

Something something Eagle's Nest, something something James Bond goggles.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I haven't crossed that border in particular, but I'm assuming they're both schengen and just... Don't have borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I’m headed up to Aspen for a show on Sunday and I think I have my choice of which mountain to ski on Monday with a buddy pass? Would love some local input as the last time I skied there I was 15 and hit a tree on Buttermilk the first day, effectively ending my trip.