Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m also catching up on LWA. The Sucy dream episode was very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Im extremely disappointed in my 7 year old cousin as shes not interested in LWA (and only finds she-ra to be good-but-not-great!! :argh:)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
There's a new show from studio pierrot up, I can't remember the name but the trailer shows lots of people drinking coffee/tea.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
HERO MASK

Has some of the neo cyber stuff alot of futuristic animes have nowadays and looks ineresting at the least

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
At this point you shouldn't be blanket recommending KLK cause not everyone signed up for a mother giving her daughter the bad touch as a plot point

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Im extremely disappointed in my 7 year old cousin as shes not interested in LWA (and only finds she-ra to be good-but-not-great!! :argh:)

She-ra isn't good though

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Eej posted:

At this point you shouldn't be blanket recommending KLK cause not everyone signed up for a mother giving her daughter the bad touch as a plot point

Yeah, this. Kill la Kill is, uh...oof. Bottom-of-the-barrel IMO.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Kill La Kill is a very divisive show-some love it, some loathe. I'm not a particular fan of it-while it has some cool ideas and some neat visuals/theming going throughout, I found most of these ideas underbaked, the characters never really developed save the blind swordsman (it's really egregious with Ryuko), multiple dropped threads, an underwhelming finale, and a playfulness with sexuality that flip flops between objectification, trauma, goofy fanservice, symbolic, and serious in service of its themes, which clash tonally and undermine each other.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think i'd like klk a lot more if ryuko and satsuki's battle clothes weren't so amazingly awful.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The first half of KLK is pretty decent if you can get past the designs but the second half jumps off a loving cliff into oblivion.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like some of KLK so much but it’s not something I’d ever recommend. Even the first episode has really objectionable stuff with the uniform forcing itself on the protagonist

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I liked the blind swordsman character and a few other things about the series but the aforementioned bad touch scene alone keeps it from being a series I would recommend to anyone.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
:staredog:

suddenly all the more happy i dropped the show before the halfway point

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I enjoyed the ending to KLK a lot more when someone pointed out to me that it was basically Shadow the Hedgehog.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hero mask is an awful combination of superhero movies and jason bourne and nobody should suffer through it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

hero mask is an awful combination of superhero movies and jason bourne and nobody should suffer through it
Shaky cam and all? G'ah.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

RevolverDivider posted:

The first half of KLK is pretty decent if you can get past the designs but the second half jumps off a loving cliff into oblivion.

I've said to a friend that I think KLK would have greatly benefited from being a single cour. 13 episodes would've been enough to cover defeating the student council and then launch into the rebellion against Ragyo at a snappier pace. It would've left less time for Trigger to repeat the same character beats like three times for Ryuko and hopefully no time for extremely hosed up bad touch scenes

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kill La Kill is a very obvious example of not planning your plot out ahead of the time.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
They released a Saint Seiya teaser trailer (Dunno if they got it in other languages, I only found the PTBR one for now because it premiered at a convention here):

https://twitter.com/NetflixBrasil/status/1071573388173418496

It looks bad. Also Shun is a girl now, which surprisingly made for the only time where both MAGA-chuds and liberals joined forces to complain about a gender change in an adaptation.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Scorpio Milo was a girl on that other CG movie too do they just pick the most effete character and decide to genderswap? (Then again, will they do this with Aphrodite?)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also I wish they adapted Episode G or the lost canvas spinoffs or Saintia Sho instead of doing a remake of the original :/

E: oh they are doing a saintia sho anime! But its crunchy instead of netflix

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 9, 2018

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Plutonis posted:

Scorpio Milo was a girl on that other CG movie too do they just pick the most effete character and decide to genderswap? (Then again, will they do this with Aphrodite?)

We can't make the effete character a GAY, the only way to solve this dilemma is turning them into women!

But by that twisted logic I think Aphrodite is still gonna be an effete man because it's okay to sound gay if you're evil!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They should have made Ikki a girl. Wouldn't even need a name change then.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
they took silver spoon off, so gently caress netflix

little witch academia is okay though

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RevolverDivider posted:

the second half jumps off a loving cliff into oblivion.

~A Studio Trigger Production~

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

~A Studio Trigger Production~

Yeah it's a common thing with them. Even Darling in the Franxx suffered it when they weren't even on the writing or directing side there.

LWA manages to survive it for the most part but the episodic adventures of the first half are generally better than the plot focused second.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Gridman's gotten even better in the second half, but we have yet to see if it'll stick the landing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dias posted:

We can't make the effete character a GAY, the only way to solve this dilemma is turning them into women!

But by that twisted logic I think Aphrodite is still gonna be an effete man because it's okay to sound gay if you're evil!

Found this on twitter, one of the directors explaining why the change. Although wtf I'm more baffled that Saori is now called Sienna

https://twitter.com/eugeneson/status/1071607580831543296

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Plutonis posted:

Found this on twitter, one of the directors explaining why the change. Although wtf I'm more baffled that Saori is now called Sienna

https://twitter.com/eugeneson/status/1071607580831543296

I read this. It's still really dumb, because you're literally taking the one vulnerable male character and making him into a woman. If you wanna add a woman to the group and you wanna genderbend a character, why do you go for the low-hanging fruit? You could have a Girl Ikki like that dude said! You could also just let any of the Amazons actually Do poo poo as a sixth Ranger.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oh so new gits will be CG. The Cg is being handled by these guys http://sola-digital.com

So we’re getting bad budget cgi instead of even some nice Céll shaded Cg like what sanzigen does. Bleh

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dias posted:

They released a Saint Seiya teaser trailer (Dunno if they got it in other languages, I only found the PTBR one for now because it premiered at a convention here):

https://twitter.com/NetflixBrasil/status/1071573388173418496

It looks bad. Also Shun is a girl now, which surprisingly made for the only time where both MAGA-chuds and liberals joined forces to complain about a gender change in an adaptation.

Here, have the english and latin american dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNA4E3AuGIk&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX5GEaANm-4&t=3s

I was willing to give it a chance but the guy they picked to replace Barrero as Seiya isn't even a dub actor and thus, is horrible in the role. So no thanks, I pass.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I was willing to give it a chance but the guy they picked to replace Barrero as Seiya isn't even a dub actor and thus, is horrible in the role. So no thanks, I pass.
Still hurts, don't it? :(:hf::(

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Ccs posted:

Oh so new gits will be CG. The Cg is being handled by these guys http://sola-digital.com

So we’re getting bad budget cgi instead of even some nice Céll shaded Cg like what sanzigen does. Bleh

wait, gits? even if its bad budget cg im still excited

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Wark Say posted:

Still hurts, don't it? :(:hf::(

A lot. Barrero deserved better. :(

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

wait, gits? even if its bad budget cg im still excited

Huh, guess this thread got missed

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1071192665008484352

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Eew

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

You can do quality 3D, and this has Kamiyama involved, so that's enough to keep me hopeful.

Is this a spiritual successor or a direct successor to SAC, since it retains the name?

E: lame, still at least a year off

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

People in the comments are saying that image is fanart. Kinda lovely if true, especially without attribution.

E: or it might be the artist actually got the gig.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 9, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dias posted:

I read this. It's still really dumb, because you're literally taking the one vulnerable male character and making him into a woman. If you wanna add a woman to the group and you wanna genderbend a character, why do you go for the low-hanging fruit? You could have a Girl Ikki like that dude said! You could also just let any of the Amazons actually Do poo poo as a sixth Ranger.

I saw someone point out that it's the equivalent of making Sailor Mars or Uranus dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

I saw someone point out that it's the equivalent of making Sailor Mars or Uranus dudes.

Uh, I've got some news for you.