Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

DrPossum posted:

GRADUATE STENTSDlkajr;el2kjrqe;l3kejrf;aslx

lol grad students are special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I was an exemplary grad student.

Of course I already had close to 10 years working experience lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

grad students are either great because they have enough life experience to appreciate the value of university, or horrible because they have enough life experience to think they know better than everyone else

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

grad students are either great because they have enough life experience to appreciate the value of university, or horrible because they have enough life experience to think they know better than everyone else

these aren't mutually exclusive

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Graduate students are worse than animals and children in a research environment because it's obvious you shouldn't let animals and children do or touch anything.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
playing hookey today :cool:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i played a lot of street hockey as a kid and it was really fun

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Bum
p

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
:bang:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can i just leave life behind drat

there are some good moments but gently caress just the responsibility all the time

let’s go rot in the forest 😂😂😂

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I want to get up, drink coffee, build a fire, chop wood, then work on my house/land for a bit and maybe look at the sky

literally nothing else

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I want to get up, drink coffee, build a fire, chop wood, then work on my house/land for a bit and maybe look at the sky

literally nothing else

you forgot walking down to the creek to see how high it is and checking the meadow to see if any deer are romping, but otherwise good notion

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don’t know hippies used to squat all over the place and build cabins around mt tam and poo poo

I think when they republicand up they put a stop to that though

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Jonny 290 posted:

you forgot walking down to the creek to see how high it is and checking the meadow to see if any deer are romping, but otherwise good notion

My uncle retired and hosed off to a cabin on a creek/swamp in rural louisiana. He keeps a giant log book of temperatures and water levels and stuff he sees, etc :allears:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ADINSX posted:

My uncle retired and hosed off to a cabin on a creek/swamp in rural louisiana. He keeps a giant log book of temperatures and water levels and stuff he sees, etc :allears:

i read a story about an old coot up in some snowbound mountain area that did this with snow depth measurements over several decades and the NWS/forest service about threw the guy a ticker tape party they were so excited to have him donate his notebooks

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

lancemantis posted:

I don’t know hippies used to squat all over the place and build cabins around mt tam and poo poo

I think when they republicand up they put a stop to that though

yes it's the republicans that want to keep people from living on public land and making GBS threads in the creeks

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

I feel comfortable adding these things

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

yes it's the republicans that want to keep people from living on public land and making GBS threads in the creeks

fygm estate in marin 🏡

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's a good thing the further out west you go the more federal land there is where states can't stop people from using the lands.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i just wwant it so they dont find the body for months

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my body. lol i dont want to murder anyone

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
please do not murder yourself either echi. however going for a trip alone in the isolated wilderness can be a good way to relax and regain perspective when you are feeling bad even if you don't have a body to bury

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i won't i just want to sometimes. other times are ok. its dumb

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

spankmeister posted:

It's a good thing the further out west you go the more federal land there is where states can't stop people from using the lands.

it's still not legal to build a cabin or squat indefinitely.

it is real cool out here tho.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
iirc the people living out on blm are pretty methed up so those will be your trailer neighbors

glwt

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Pham Nuwen posted:

it's still not legal to build a cabin or squat indefinitely.

it is real cool out here tho.

i can live in a tent indefinitely that’s fine

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i can live in a tent indefinitely that’s fine

true, it's fine as long as you move occasionally (depends on the land, i think blm is every 2 weeks?)

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Backpacks 4 lyfe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

now, as always, is a good time to reread walden.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

true, it's fine as long as you move occasionally (depends on the land, i think blm is every 2 weeks?)

the strat I saw one guy use is having two different tents and just alternating them

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
gently caress everything, today especially

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
bump

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
just booked this for a road trip to yosemite and big sur over xmas 🎄 holidays:

#vanlife

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
#vanlife needs dragons and wizards or at least star wars

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gettin the ford set up

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

gettin the ford set up

perfect! now you can start doing those clandestine mobile surgeries you've always wanted

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jonny 290 posted:

gettin the ford set up

congrats on the new job at google

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i forgot just how big those vehicles are

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

congrats on the new job at google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

graph posted:

i forgot just how big those vehicles are

whats fun about them is both how enormous they are while simultaneously tiny; like they went out of their way to waste space -- all that vehicle and like a 12" deep default storage area

its like GMs and having a 8" opening to trunk space; "you could fit a lot in that trunk if anything fit through the opening"