Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Not faces, just hairdos. His current, normal adult hair. His dino thunder Guy Fieri hair. His long let it flow I'm native American now hair. His classic ponytail.
You forgot the mullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

LividLiquid posted:

You forgot the mullet.

I remember kid Rocky having one but not Tommy

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I thought he had a rat tail.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I think he had one when he first came on pre-ponytail but he wore a bandanna a lot so I'm not entirely sure.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure it wasn't a mullet, it was just shoulder length long hair. Then he pulled it back into a pony tail for Season 2 and 3, and let it fly in the wind after

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Soul of the Dragon was pretty good. I think that overall, it's akin to Power Rangers trying to be serious, but while being Power Rangers.

There are moments that are to be expected of in grittier stories. But this is Power Rangers. It's silly, and remains so. Best example is that Tommy goes to a seedy bar to find info on his missing son... so he asks the bartender for info on a group of aliens sitting in the corner. Bartender's just annoyed by this, then Tommy slips him a loving 20. Literally just 20 bucks. It's pretty fun.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
At this point I'm legit surprised JDF hasn't pushed for his daughter to be the Pink Ranger for the Tommy Squad.

It sometimes seems like he pimps out her social media a little too much...but man, I guess he just really wants her to succeed.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

jivjov posted:

At this point I'm legit surprised JDF hasn't pushed for his daughter to be the Pink Ranger for the Tommy Squad.

It sometimes seems like he pimps out her social media a little too much...but man, I guess he just really wants her to succeed.

I think she's looking to get into the action side of acting like dad did, but he's not an A List celebrity with connections to just make things happen. So he does the next best thing and signal boosts her social media and such. That being said, there's no doubt in my mind that he would do anything to let her cameo in anything he works on.

It's basically Will and Jaden Smith but without all the mental illness and Hollywood clout.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

He very much does promote her a lot, and I think it's weird. Like, not as weird as before she hit puberty and he was encouraging his fully adult fanbase to subscribe to her social media accounts, but it skeeves me a bit even today.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sorry y'all, no vid today. Work training is a shitshow.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

https://twitter.com/PowerRangersNOW/status/1069637733553848321?s=19

Cool, boom studios is adapting a pre-Zyuranger team. I wonder how long they'll continue to have the rights considering Hasbro owns their own comic imprint.

Oh hey what's this but literally a fanfiction concept from 2017 in name and costumes.

PR Now has had some... rough edges around it's reporting for a few years, so pardon my skepticism.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Oh hey what's this but literally a fanfiction concept from 2017 in name and costumes.

PR Now has had some... rough edges around it's reporting for a few years, so pardon my skepticism.

The fanfiction concept has the same name because that's what they called the Fiveman costumes in Super Megaforce.

Nevertheless, I've seen the pages their report is talking about it and PR Now is completely correct.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Burkion posted:

and let it fly in the wind after
This is why Andros was a Good Red. He inherited the Tommy Hair and was the next possible iteration of it (bad millennium boyband dye job).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The first character to mention Dark Spectre also is a boy band member for some reason. He shows up in hologram for one scene, acting as Dark Spectre's herald, then disappears forever.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Read the Old Man Tommy book. It’s okay, and actually feels like it reasonably would have been a Sentai special episode in Japan. Tommy Oliver burns up his powers forever and moves onto a life with no superpowers and less karate.

Haha no you know three days after this story he goes into a Home Depot and drills a glowing rock to a belt buckle and becomes Power Rangers DIY.

The later forms of Tommy get more time than the early forms for once (He actually finishes as white and hands the final green morph to his son), and some old fan favorite villains are revealed to have new motives in a post-Countdown To Destruction universe.

There’s no zord battle though, which is surprising when you’ve got a story with Lokar as big bad and Scorpina as the new Rita.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
New Sentai is dino themed and I am here for it. Suits look like SPD/Dekaranger and HyperForce has a baby. https://twitter.com/powerrangersnow/status/1071048784308649985?s=21

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Always seems kind of a shame to only have one female Ranger on a team these days. The suits look cool, though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The suits, maybe just from that angle, make those people look like stubby toddlers.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I’m not feeling it. There’s not enough to break up the suit from feeling plain but then the helmets are a loving overworked mess.

Maybe it’ll grow on me but mehhhhh

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Another dinosaur themed Sentai? It hasn't even been that long since the last one.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

The suits, maybe just from that angle, make those people look like stubby toddlers.

I think they're pictures of the sofubi toys, not the actual suits?

http://news.tokunation.com/2018/12/07/kisiryu-sentai-ryusouger-fully-revealed-first-catalog-images-posted-online-57278

Main Zord is another red T-rex! That's... Familiar.

But it's a complete mecha, and the other zords are weapons and armor, and not limbs. That connect with Lego.

I'm intrigued.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Failson posted:

I think they're pictures of the sofubi toys, not the actual suits?

Well that explains it

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Next dinosentai won't have anyone but the obligatory t-red.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I'm hoping the rumor that the next poorly performing Sentai will put the series on hiatus turns out to be true. Because clearly an extra year or two to get their poo poo together and design some good toys would work wonders.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

SpazmasterX posted:

I'm hoping the rumor that the next poorly performing Sentai will put the series on hiatus turns out to be true. Because clearly an extra year or two to get their poo poo together and design some good toys would work wonders.

And maybe they could afford to spend some money on lighting! And a cinematographer! Tired of the show being lit like a sitcom.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

It's probably easiest to do broad fill lighting given how totally nuts their filming schedules have to be for how much content they produce.

The actual production schedule of these shows intrigues me. A one-hour drama usually takes just over a week to film, and I've always imagined they do four days per episode to get far enough ahead to be able to shoot the movies and have the actors do live appearances, music videos, and all that extra stuff. I'd love to know how ridiculous it is to work on Sentai.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Iirc, episodes are filmed in batches with at least a few months of lead time between filming and airing. The filming days are also done back to back (weather permitting). It's the same with Rider except the cast is smaller for them.

One of the other big factors that's hurting toy sales in general is just the general push to video games and idk if Sentai has something like what Rider has.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sentai should have so many more games than it does

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The torso pattern going all the way down to the crotch makes them look short.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xelkelvos posted:

One of the other big factors that's hurting toy sales in general is just the general push to video games and idk if Sentai has something like what Rider has.

Sentai seems to get shovelware based on specific series regularly but nothing more than that. It doesn't have ongoing series like Kamen Rider does, and if it has an arcade game, it's far less important than Ganbarizing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sentai should have so many more games than it does

I'd be down for a good fighting game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Star Man posted:

Incorrect.

The correct answer is "Hyrule Warriors but with rangers and mech sequences"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I want a Pokémon clone, where I have to collect all 150+ members.

AkaRed used BURNING HEART!
It was SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I want a Pokémon clone, where I have to collect all 150+ members.

All the Gokaigers are just Ditto.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Star Man posted:

That there wasn't one for Gokaiger seemed like a missed opportunity. While there'd be a metric fuckton of rangers, most of them would be pallette swaps of the same more member with maybe a hitbox and value change based on weapon and body type.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

All the Gokaigers are just Ditto.

MagiYellow is evolving!

MagiYellow evolved into BeetBuster!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
The correct answer is an XCOM style strategy game where you can call in a megazord if one of the enemies goes giant and it switches to a 2.5D fighting game.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Xelkelvos posted:

That there wasn't one for Gokaiger seemed like a missed opportunity. While there'd be a metric fuckton of rangers, most of them would be pallette swaps of the same more member with maybe a hitbox and value change based on weapon and body type.

I don't have a clue in the slightest of what a Sentai/Power Rangers fighting game would be like at this point in time because there are more characters to use than there are particles in the universe. Especially because if it had a worldwide release, it would have to appeal to thirty-somethings and have things that are inexplicably popular or exclusive in the US that Japanese audiences think are middling and there would be stuff that never left Japan to appeal to them that the US audience never got. Would you even be able to use any monsters of the week in the cast for the villains?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

SpazmasterX posted:

The correct answer is an XCOM style strategy game where you can call in a megazord if one of the enemies goes giant and it switches to a 2.5D fighting game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/251130/Chroma_Squad/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
At this point they need to just have a blanket moratorium on Dinosaurs and Ninja's. I know those things are popular with kids but it's getting to the point where they're just alternating between the two.