Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Iron blooded Orphans feels like a parody of Gundam in a way with the way it tries to be a serious war story while fitting as many anime cliches it can in as well.

Also it’s love of the phrase Space Debris could be a drinking game.

While IBO does take a more critical look at some classic Gundam tropes, like the flamboyant, mask-wearing rival, it's pretty middle-of-the-road in its anime cliche count by the standards of the franchise. You want to check out G, Wing, or SEED for Gundam at its Most Anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean harems, death monologues, and a villian with an insanely detailed master plan are the big three. IBO has all of em, even if it pretends it doesn’t.

The villains master plan is hilariously dumb.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean harems, death monologues, and a villian with an insanely detailed master plan are the big three.

Two of the three are good imo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Andrast posted:

Two of the three are good imo

I mean at one point the show goes out of its way to kill a character to stop him from monologuing to show we won’t do that poo poo.

Then they do that several times later.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean at one point the show goes out of its way to kill a character to stop him from monologuing to show we won’t do that poo poo.

Then they do that several times later.

Without watching the show that sounds great

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I gotta say, Darth Walrus's post made me curious to watch IBO for the first time ever, but I've barely started Legend of the Galactic Heroes, so IBO can wait its turn.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Andrast posted:

Without watching the show that sounds great

I mean if you like dumb poo poo then watch it. It’s pretty funny to watch. Though the middle chunks can be really slow and kind of boring.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This is only vaguely on-topic, but long-lived piece of poo poo Sargon lost his patreon last night, after months of streams where he smilingly absorbed insults from his fans over his wife’s miscarriage and insisted he wasn’t mad, and was actually laughing. It all probably looks like time well spent now.

Did "the movement" turn on him like they did Mundane Matt for some reason or other?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Solitair posted:

I gotta say, Darth Walrus's post made me curious to watch IBO for the first time ever, but I've barely started Legend of the Galactic Heroes, so IBO can wait its turn.

The whole thing read like the Thermian Argument to me. While it sounded interesting, that was just a summary and you'd actually have to sit through those episodes of horrible garbage to get to any kind of weak pay-off. Also, if I read correctly, since the anime doesn't make any kind of judgement on it, it sounds to me like the show wanted its cake and eat it too. Instead of having any kind of point they went for the "lots of speculation from everyone" route Mass Effect 3's written-on-a-napkin ending design doc went.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dawgstar posted:

Did "the movement" turn on him like they did Mundane Matt for some reason or other?

he went "mainstream" and joined ukip at a grasp of power and openly poo poo on his supporters and tried to pick fight with mister metokur and bunch of other people. as you can see, it didn't well for him.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

This is only vaguely on-topic, but long-lived piece of poo poo Sargon lost his patreon last night, after months of streams where he smilingly absorbed insults from his fans over his wife’s miscarriage and insisted he wasn’t mad, and was actually laughing. It all probably looks like time well spent now.

Hm....

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he went "mainstream" and joined ukip at a grasp of power and openly poo poo on his supporters and tried to pick fight with mister metokur and bunch of other people. as you can see, it didn't well for him.

Oh yeah, he and a bunch of other UK based vlogging jerks got memberships in UKIP, right around the time its imploded membership collapsed, defections to the Tories, leaders lasting about a week, the only members with any public presence kept getting exposed as National Front style racists and had to be kicked out. I couldn't understand why they were bragging about joining a party in its death throes, I have a suspicion that they thought they could use their popularity to take it over. How's that for a very British Coup?

I have no content but I do have some relevant to thread. Netflix added Steven Universe season one, and after that multi page slap fight I got curious and checked it out, it was alright the last third was pretty good and I ended up checking out the next four seasons. So far I've yet to find an Fascism apologia or the team becoming BFFs with Gem Hitler, but I haven't watched the fifth season yet so who knows?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Every time you post a chud video itt, an angel loses its wings

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Baka-nin posted:

I have no content but I do have some relevant to thread. Netflix added Steven Universe season one, and after that multi page slap fight I got curious and checked it out, it was alright the last third was pretty good and I ended up checking out the next four seasons. So far I've yet to find an Fascism apologia or the team becoming BFFs with Gem Hitler, but I haven't watched the fifth season yet so who knows?

That person was just being a huge idiot.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Yardbomb posted:

As evidenced by Goblin Slayer's "some races only breed through rape and must be exterminated - what, no that doesn't resemble fascism at all" being a-ok in their book.

Maybe Steven Universe does have some debatable points but calling is fascist is just being a hot taking poo poo stirrer trying to start fights, and I don't really need to hear from those any more.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Baka-nin posted:

Oh yeah, he and a bunch of other UK based vlogging jerks got memberships in UKIP, right around the time its imploded membership collapsed, defections to the Tories, leaders lasting about a week, the only members with any public presence kept getting exposed as National Front style racists and had to be kicked out. I couldn't understand why they were bragging about joining a party in its death throes, I have a suspicion that they thought they could use their popularity to take it over. How's that for a very British Coup?

British pundits/influencers seem to be hilariously out of touch with the way the country goes, for good or ill.

It's the reverse of every Guardian/mainstream progressive opinion writer going "BLOODY HELL COMMIE CORBYN WILL -RUIN- LABOUR IN THIS ELECTION!!!!" for about 3 months to shutting up a couple of days before the ballot when even the Tory polling was showing the tsunami was real. And then mumbling "Huh, guess he won, still an unproven dangerous bloke I guess though!" once the results were in.

As for fascism apologia in SU, it's tryhard gossipy bullshit. It's not bad for a kid's cartoon to have a message of trying to build bridges, reach others and accept the reformation of those that can legitimately change and make amends for their misdeeds. We can teach them to punch nazis later on.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Radar posted:

In non-garbage-people news, Ahoy has a new documentary on why the Commodore Amiga platform failed to take off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB_UZsJUbwQ

This is so strange. I grew up with Amiga and C64 and if someone told us kids back then the Amiga was "languishing", we would have punched them for being weird

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

There's another video on GDQ bans that I've seen pop up in related vids lately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5TGFEoidEM

Haven't watched it in full yet, so I'm not sure if it covers the latest incidents or not.

Pro-tip: if you’re gonna plug some person no one in this thread has ever heard of before, maybe watch the video in full before pulling the lever on the internet catapult. Or look at the other stuff the dude has posted or what not. Because even a cursory glance at this duder’s work reveals that he’s a huge chud trying to trick people into thinking he’s a centrist by disingenuously Both Sides’ing every argument like Boogie does.

For example, one of his more recent videos argues that Battlefield V does female representation poorly because women didn’t exist during WWII and saying they did and making them playable characters is just appeasing feminists, but you know what game DID get female representation right? Breath of the Wild, a game where the main female character is once again a trophy to be obtained at the end of the game, the other three principle female characters in it appear for about 20 minutes worth of the game and two of which are actually dead when you meet them, and features a mechanic where you have to cross-dress to fool an entire town full of women in order to gain access to it.

Because when I think of progressive, female-positive material, I always look to a company packed to the gills with old conservative Japanese men to make them.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Yardbomb posted:

Honestly, the way the show handled Bismuth initially was enough to turn me off from it. I heard they tried to make up for it later on but the messaging around that episode was kinda awful.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It's crazy that you can be a fan of someone and when something terrible happens to his family you're all over making jokes about it. Even if he says he's alright with it there's still a certain callousness to it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also I just thought of it, SonicFox is an internet personality since he streams and stuff, watch this super queer, furry, black guy accept an award for (espurts) gamer of the year.

It's also all the more awesome because his acceptance speech made a ton of chuds mad no matter what he'd say, plus he knows how to correctly respond to them.

https://twitter.com/SonicFox5000/status/1070913600993189889

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bessantj posted:

It's crazy that you can be a fan of someone and when something terrible happens to his family you're all over making jokes about it. Even if he says he's alright with it there's still a certain callousness to it.

He's not ok with it at all but is afraid of what will happen to him if he fights back against his own fans. He cultivated his entire audience by being a huge piece of poo poo and encouraging other people to be huge pieces of poo poo, and so now he's surrounded by huge pieces of poo poo that will turn on him if he acts human for even a moment.

Imagine your wife suffering horribly and being too afraid of the internet to just go comfort her. He deserves everything that's going to happen to him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bessantj posted:

Well, that’s the audience he’s cultivated. When you nurture an audience of shithead sociopaths who think Nothing Matters and encourage them to emulate your own colossally lovely behaviour by mercilessly attacking anyone who shows weakness or vulnerability, you don’t get to really complain when they turn on you and use the tactics you taught them on you when you reveal a moment of weakness and vulnerability of your own to them.

Losing a child through miscarriage is an awful and traumatic event, but I have no sympathy for the Face-Eating Leopard trainer now that the leopards have realized he also has a face that can be eaten and have started to chow down.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

The whole thing read like the Thermian Argument to me. While it sounded interesting, that was just a summary and you'd actually have to sit through those episodes of horrible garbage to get to any kind of weak pay-off. Also, if I read correctly, since the anime doesn't make any kind of judgement on it, it sounds to me like the show wanted its cake and eat it too. Instead of having any kind of point they went for the "lots of speculation from everyone" route Mass Effect 3's written-on-a-napkin ending design doc went.

I think it does have a moral stance, in that it's all about mourning the cruel paradoxes of social change, and encouraging some measure of empathy to those trapped in them. It shows that living under a monstrous regime means that you carry some part of that monstrosity with you even when you rebel against it or try to be a good person within it, that the people most capable of enacting reform are generally the least willing, and that individual and general comfort are starkly opposed - you can only enact change by painting a target on your own back, and some overprivileged rear end in a top hat will probably take credit for it and vilify you, but it's often the only way to make other people's lives better. I say it's descriptive rather than prescriptive because it doesn't come up with a solution, but as an exposé of the ugly reality behind romantic myths of revolution and reform for high-school kids to mull over, it works pretty well. Even going 'poo poo is way more complicated than you think, so apply some actual critical thinking to what you're taught' is a useful message given how many simple, clean narratives we're raised on - consider how the American civil rights movement gets covered, for instance.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 7, 2018

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
GBoBB talkin' about a bad Christmas movie starring Dean Cain (for the second time on their show!), the most prolific Christmas movie man in the world (maybe). And it's.. a made-for-tv film that's basically just lovely Home Alone but Macaulay Culkin is a dog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrK-m-Drzss

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i found this this beautiful tweet.

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1070968972940431360

god i can't wait til Outer worlds.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

He's not ok with it at all but is afraid of what will happen to him if he fights back against his own fans. He cultivated his entire audience by being a huge piece of poo poo and encouraging other people to be huge pieces of poo poo, and so now he's surrounded by huge pieces of poo poo that will turn on him if he acts human for even a moment.

Imagine your wife suffering horribly and being too afraid of the internet to just go comfort her. He deserves everything that's going to happen to him.

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, that’s the audience he’s cultivated. When you nurture an audience of shithead sociopaths who think Nothing Matters and encourage them to emulate your own colossally lovely behaviour by mercilessly attacking anyone who shows weakness or vulnerability, you don’t get to really complain when they turn on you and use the tactics you taught them on you when you reveal a moment of weakness and vulnerability of your own to them.

Losing a child through miscarriage is an awful and traumatic event, but I have no sympathy for the Face-Eating Leopard trainer now that the leopards have realized he also has a face that can be eaten and have started to chow down.

He's a piece of poo poo no doubt but this can't be good for his wife. I don't know, maybe she's as bad as he is.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Nobody deserves a miscarriage and they shouldn't be mocked or insulted over it.
Especially when there are so many other good reasons.

Anyway the "totally unaware of GG" GoG PR guy got hired by some rightwing website already, so that was... 100% expected.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zedd posted:

Anyway the "totally unaware of GG" GoG PR guy got hired by some rightwing website already, so that was... 100% expected.

I'm not happy for the miscarriage but I am glad Sargon is probably feeling like garbage over it

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i found this this beautiful tweet.

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1070968972940431360

god i can't wait til Outer worlds.

Honestly, I half-expected him to be complaining about some behind-the-scenes thing to the chuds on RPGCodex.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Honestly, I half-expected him to be complaining about some behind-the-scenes thing to the chuds on RPGCodex.

i don't think he is a chud. and he has always been pretty chill at least on twitter about the bethesda and obsidian shitshow.

Zedd posted:

the dude was an english expat who moved to poland and had a history of right wing poo poo along with the gog poo poo, good riddance.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bessantj posted:

live by the sword cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers, die by the sword cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers

Yardbomb posted:

Also I just thought of it, SonicFox is an internet personality since he streams and stuff, watch this super queer, furry, black guy accept an award for (espurts) gamer of the year.

It's also all the more awesome because his acceptance speech made a ton of chuds mad no matter what he'd say, plus he knows how to correctly respond to them.

https://twitter.com/SonicFox5000/status/1070913600993189889
I'd never heard of SonicFox before getting into DBZ but he owns because he just does him and it infuriates chuds that he's undeniably really good at games while being a minority triple threat

AllmyFrench78
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HfnNrISCFfk I know this is late but there is a new avgn. This one is on the game The Town With No Name, which suprisingly is also playable on the Amiga 32. And yes Brutalmoose already reviewed it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ghostlight posted:

live by the sword cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers, die by the sword cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers

I'd never heard of SonicFox before getting into DBZ but he owns because he just does him and it infuriates chuds that he's undeniably really good at games while being a minority triple threat

pretty much yea. He's one of the best dudes in the community for his games and a super nice guy who makes friends easily by just being him.

This infuriates all the worst people because there's zero angle to try to pretend he's some kinda fighting games version of a ~diversity hire~ when he just goes out and clowns on everyone and even the people he beats horribly are all 'haha that dude's great' after. There's no salt to mine but they're gonna dig until they get to China anyway.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
SonicFox is Goku. He's gonna beat you and make you look a fool but somehow you're gonna wind up godfather to his kid because he's just such a nice guy about it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Ghostlight posted:

Sonicfox fuckin rules but unless y'all know something I don't, he's only a minority double threat. He's black and gay but "furry" isn't a real minority class, it's just used as an anti-LGBT dogwhistle.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

I'd never heard of SonicFox before getting into DBZ

Dude's great, he's a top player in MK, Injustice, Skullgirls, DBFZ, he's been getting into Tekken some which is always cool. That and obviously he's pretty much the best personality in videogames easy, leaping miles above that mostly low bar.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DoctorWhat posted:

Sonicfox fuckin rules but unless y'all know something I don't, he's only a minority double threat. He's black and gay but "furry" isn't a real minority class, it's just used as an anti-LGBT dogwhistle.

I think he meant triple threat of what pisses these people off since they're the only people who give a poo poo about furries in tyool 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

A couple months ago Ninja got on Ellen's show when it should have been SonicFox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Ninja: too cowardly to stream with women because he's weirdly paranoid about assuming everything is a trap to his ~brand~ or whatever

SonicFox: streams in a fur head and tells angry gamers to blow him

the choice is clear