Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

T-man posted:

I wish I cared about being a good person as much as these dudes care about playing videogames fast.

Speedrunning is fascinating. I was watching a video about the world record progression for a sonic game, and it's casually mentioned that one guy put in thirteen thousand attempts in pursuit of a record.

Edit: and we're talking about speed runs that use glitches and level skips. Imagine doing more than ten thousand attempts only to have someone discover a new bug which trims a significant amount of time and instantly invalidates your record.

Skippy McPants has a new favorite as of 06:19 on Dec 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Speedrunning is fascinating. I was watching a video about the world record progression for a sonic game, and it's casually mentioned that one guy put in thirteen thousand attempts in pursuit of a record.

Edit: and we're talking about speed runs that use glitches and level skips. Imagine doing more than ten thousand attempts only to have someone discover a new bug which trims a significant amount of time and instantly invalidates your record.

Like you'd think they would get pissed but speedrunners get really loving excited and stoked when someone figures out a faster way to gently caress with the game. It's a very collaborative community in general.

I think when you're spending hours and hours every day grinding the same game in the same way over and over you have to be in it for the grind not the records.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Dick Burglar posted:

NYLON IS NOT CANVAS :byodood:
Yeah but for real though, that is some loving bullshit. You can't just call any fabric "canvas," it specifically loving refers to a high-quality material that's durable and machine-washable and ideal for travel packs and outerwear.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

chitoryu12 posted:

Does a screenshot of NSFW text count as an NSFW image for purposes of the thread rules?

If I can type oval office loving dickshitter on here without issue, it should be obvious how this forum feels about dirty word screenshots.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Ey, it worked!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Stinkyhole loving dick making GBS threadser.

I don't actually know how the unregged wordfilter conjugates shitter, I only know of poo poo and making GBS threads.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Gently caressing instead of loving

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What the gently caress is going on in this loving thread

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Tubgoat posted:

Yeah but for real though, that is some loving bullshit. You can't just call any fabric "canvas," it specifically loving refers to a high-quality material that's durable and machine-washable and ideal for travel packs and outerwear.

oh dont get me wrong, gently caress bethesda

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

MageMage posted:

Imagine if we were as picky about human rights quality as gamers are about the quality material of their special edition canvas bags.
this but for pretty much everything people get mad about

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
speed running is cool and good, and a pretty inclusive community (well at least compared to gamers in general). I don't really follow it, but I do pop in on their big charity marathons when they happen.

Also the canvas bag thing is kind of hosed up. "We're charging you 200 bucks for a canvas bag. Just kidding. It's nylon." But it's also pretty low on the list of the way companies gently caress people over.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Ambitious Spider posted:

speed running is cool and good, and a pretty inclusive community (well at least compared to gamers in general). I don't really follow it, but I do pop in on their big charity marathons when they happen.

Also the canvas bag thing is kind of hosed up. "We're charging you 200 bucks for a canvas bag. Just kidding. It's nylon." But it's also pretty low on the list of the way companies gently caress people over.

Pretty loose definition of "cool", but ok.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
"cool" can mean things other than "of low temperature" nowadays, get with the times, polar bear gramps

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A WW2 issue GI canvass duffle bag will put you back $20.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just wasn’t sure because of people hiding it in the past. Have fun:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

...good. thanks.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
... Salmon Sandwich?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Harry and Hermione leading Umbridge to the centaurs is part of the Matilda school of "get rid of your psychopathic headteachers by being just as psychopathic".

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I've Read Another Book and therefore don't remember, weren't they originally looking for the giant spider to feed her to at first?

It's almost like children's literature is 70% random luck and capitalism doesn't always promote the best, only the most profitable!!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

TinTower posted:

Harry and Hermione leading Umbridge to the centaurs is part of the Matilda school of "get rid of your psychopathic headteachers by being just as psychopathic".

Nah the whole thing is supposed to be that Umbridge earned it by treating the centaurs as subhuman, thus causing their ire. If she had just treated them as peers she would have been fine (just as Harry is able to); it was her own inability to work with other species that was her downfall. Harry and Hermione just set the stage. Umbridge could have saved herself by being humble and approaching the centaurs as intelligent, sentient beings who are worthy of respect, instead of as beasts.

It's supposed to be some satisfying schadenfreude, that her own belief in wizard supremacy is her undoing.

Of all the books to criticize, the series that is supposed to teach kids to be activists is maybe not the one to be so unforgiving with, in this current dystopian future we live in. The whole arc of the story in HP is that the government is taken over by corrupt supremacists and the kids need to learn how to be brave and fight the powers that be.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Dec 8, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

T-man posted:

I've Read Another Book and therefore don't remember, weren't they originally looking for the giant spider to feed her to at first?

It's almost like children's literature is 70% random luck and capitalism doesn't always promote the best, only the most profitable!!

No they were taking her to the forest so Hagrid's adopted giant son Grawp could murder her.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Nah the whole thing is supposed to be that Umbridge earned it by treating the centaurs as subhuman, thus causing their ire. If she had just treated them as peers she would have been fine (just as Harry is able to); it was her own inability to work with other species that was her downfall. Harry and Hermione just set the stage. Umbridge could have saved herself by being humble and approaching the centaurs as intelligent, sentient beings who are worthy of respect, instead of as beasts.

It's supposed to be some satisfying schadenfreude, that her own belief in wizard supremacy is her undoing.

Even if Hermione as a character didn't know that centaurs are rapehorses, JK Rowling definitely did, and it still sticks in the mouth a little bit that Ron, Hermione, and Ginny sometime later deliberately trigger Umbridge as a joke.

However, it did lead to this brilliant tweet.

https://twitter.com/TVsCarlKinsella/status/938546244624044033

e: also, the Weasley twins literally sell date-rape drugs.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Of all the books to criticize, the series that is supposed to teach kids to be activists is maybe not the one to be so unforgiving with, in this current dystopian future we live in. The whole arc of the story in HP is that the government is taken over by corrupt supremacists and the kids need to learn how to be brave and fight the powers that be.

you can think of it as "teach kids to be activists", i think of it as "took boy's own stories, got rid of like 99% of the incredible insane amount of racism unironic colonialism and sexism in them but still kept the fun"

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

TinTower posted:

Even if Hermione as a character didn't know that centaurs are rapehorses, JK Rowling definitely did, and it still sticks in the mouth a little bit that Ron, Hermione, and Ginny sometime later deliberately trigger Umbridge as a joke.

However, it did lead to this brilliant tweet.

https://twitter.com/TVsCarlKinsella/status/938546244624044033

e: also, the Weasley twins literally sell date-rape drugs.

https://twitter.com/chaeronaea/status/774220103005016064?lang=en

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

you mean "ripped off the Hero's Journey like every other garbage im riters", right?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I too constantly think about how the characters are going to get raped in a young adult's book.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Chris Wideman

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In his defense, Umbridge's version of "writing lines" involved forcing him to carve the words into his own hand until it left scars that can't even magically be healed. I wouldn't really have much sympathy for her if I was in his place.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Harry just learned early that you can't discuss or rationalize with a fascist. They must be burned from society by centaur-delivered chemo.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

LifeSunDeath posted:

Chris Wideman

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

How a TV show about Pre-historic life would reconstruct a goon.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Chris Wideman

His chest looks like the latest Monster Factory creation. https://youtu.be/gaVwTT6MiUE

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

LifeSunDeath posted:

Chris Wideman

Hes had a hard few weeks since the Senators traded him

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
idgi, what's wrong with this dude? He seems to have lost weight and gotten some tattoos, and I don't even see any of those "photoshop shrink rings" you often see in bad weight loss fakes.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Sponge Baathist posted:

Somebody is jacking off to this but I'm not gonna link it because everybody has their clothes on. Their ankles are showing but anybody who would be offended is already going to hell for using a computer outside of work

Goatsfeet.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Kharmakazy posted:

idgi, what's wrong with this dude? He seems to have lost weight and gotten some tattoos, and I don't even see any of those "photoshop shrink rings" you often see in bad weight loss fakes.

I think the surprising thing is how wide his chest still is after the weight loss. I don’t know if it’s extra skin or something about the shape of his rib cage?

Doesn’t seem awkward, ugly, or gross to me, though. Just a bit different than most people.

Good for him for losing weight and getting fitter!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kharmakazy posted:

He seems fine. I was just going on the hockey player joke. Good on this guy for making a difference in his life.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

Chris Wideman

Are you upset with him for getting a Mr. Cool Ice skeleton tattoo on his arm?

Also he definitely didn't photoshop the weight loss, unless he also photoshopped in the surgery scar from the loose skin removal as well.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Picture is out of date, Mr. Ice has since made considerable gains in both ink and swole.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

AlbieQuirky posted:

I think the surprising thing is how wide his chest still is after the weight loss. I don’t know if it’s extra skin or something about the shape of his rib cage?

Doesn’t seem awkward, ugly, or gross to me, though. Just a bit different than most people.

Good for him for losing weight and getting fitter!

I've got a barrel chest like that guy. I also lost a bunch of weight, but there's no changing the shape of your bones. Doomed to wearing 2xl shirts that are tight around the tits but billowing down below. Curse of the oddbody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Skippy McPants posted:

Picture is out of date, Mr. Ice has since made considerable gains in both ink and swole.

Mr. Cool Ice is owning his poo poo and living his best life