Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

TACD posted:

Any ideas about what to do about this fresh bullshit?

The tags are all fine, and as you can see the 'now playing' screen knows perfectly well what the songs are called (and the 'Up Next' list is fine too). I've tried removing the tracks and re-adding them, and to be honest I don't even know how to Google for this problem without pulling up home remedies for the thousand other similar issues iTunes and Apple Music has.

I'm just so very, very tired.

Check your "Grouping" tag in iTunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Modern Leper posted:

Check your "Grouping" tag in iTunes.
Thank you so much! This wasn't quite the problem but it was close enough that it helped me quickly find the solution: for some reason the 'Work' tag (which I had no idea existed as iTunes helpfully hides it behind a ticky box) had been filled in with the artist name.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
how do I un-gently caress my library after changing the drive letter for all the songs? nothing else about the path is different, just the drive letter.

can I change the library .itdb(?() file itself somehow? like gently caress i'm actually updating all these things.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I know I’ve done this before where it asks you to fix one song, then it asks you to try to fix all songs with that file path. That, or the library file is an xml file you could maybe do a find & replace on.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

IUG posted:

I know I’ve done this before where it asks you to fix one song, then it asks you to try to fix all songs with that file path. That, or the library file is an xml file you could maybe do a find & replace on.
apparently the xml file is created only for other programs to interface with iTunes, which uses the Apple proprietary .itl format. i don't know if I could find/replace in the xml and convert it to .itl but that sounds un-fun

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I think I remember updating the xml when I moved my library a long time ago. I believe it worked, but there was something I had to do to get it to reread the file. I don't know, it's been a lot of years now.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

TenementFunster posted:

how do I un-gently caress my library after changing the drive letter for all the songs? nothing else about the path is different, just the drive letter.

can I change the library .itdb(?() file itself somehow? like gently caress i'm actually updating all these things.

If you're on Windows, hold Shift while you're clicking the iTunes icon til it prompts for the new Library location, then point it at the new Library.

I think the equivalent on MacOS is Option or Command.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: ^^ yeah that

Gorgar posted:

I think I remember updating the xml when I moved my library a long time ago. I believe it worked, but there was something I had to do to get it to reread the file. I don't know, it's been a lot of years now.

Yup this was how I used to update my drive letter as well. Junk you had to edit the XML, then open iTunes with a CTRL + click, or ALT + click or something to select a library file? Can’t remember, but it was something like that. The XML is definitely editable, but also needed a kick to re-read the file.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

WattsvilleBlues posted:

If you're on Windows, hold Shift while you're clicking the iTunes icon til it prompts for the new Library location, then point it at the new Library.
no, my problem is that my old library thinks all my songs are found in the D:/ drive, when they are now all found on the E:/ drive. I need to update the drive letter of all the songs in my library.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yup this was how I used to update my drive letter as well. Junk you had to edit the XML, then open iTunes with a CTRL + click, or ALT + click or something to select a library file? Can’t remember, but it was something like that. The XML is definitely editable, but also needed a kick to re-read the file.
What did you use to edit the XML file?

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 8, 2018

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

no, my problem is that my old library thinks all my songs are found in the D:/ drive, when they are now all found on the E:/ drive. I need to update the drive letter of all the songs in my library.

Can you change the drive letters around to make life easier?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Can you change the drive letters around to make life easier?
i dont want to make life easier! I did get it fixed, however. The trick is to open the XML of the old library in Atom or some other nerd-rear end text editor, find/replace to swap the old drive letter for the new, then delete all the itl files, then in iTunes go to File -> Library -> Import Playlist and select the edited XML file.

thanks for the assistance, goons.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

Notepad or Wordpad. Then do a search and replace on your drive letter or whatever.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is playlist shuffling borked for anyone else or is it just me? I have a pretty expansive Christmas playlist and it's been sticking to songs from like 3 albums exclusively. Re-shuffling doesn't seem to change this behavior. Even if I try clicking a different song manually and letting it shuffle through the rest, it goes back to those 3 "preferred" albums.

It's still "shuffling" in the technical sense as nothing is playing in proper album order, but it just doesn't stray from what appears to be its favorite albums now. Very strange. Wondering if the last update messed something up.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Minidust posted:

Is playlist shuffling borked for anyone else or is it just me? I have a pretty expansive Christmas playlist and it's been sticking to songs from like 3 albums exclusively. Re-shuffling doesn't seem to change this behavior. Even if I try clicking a different song manually and letting it shuffle through the rest, it goes back to those 3 "preferred" albums.

It's still "shuffling" in the technical sense as nothing is playing in proper album order, but it just doesn't stray from what appears to be its favorite albums now. Very strange. Wondering if the last update messed something up.

Did your apple music lapse and you only own 3 of these albums? Did the other albums fall off of apple music?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Minidust posted:

I shuffle the same ~24h playlist multiple times a week and it ALWAYS plays like 5-10 of the same songs within the hour I’m at the gym.

The playlist is supposed to kick out songs that have been played within the past 7 days as well, so it makes no sense. But yeah, the shuffle function is loving awful, even on my phone.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
I recently got a new computer and have attempted to transfer my iTunes library (all music) over without a lot of success. I'm trying to go for seamless continuity. I think in a nutshell, that I pretty much created a new library rather than moving my existing one over. I backed up all my songs and moved them over to the new computer. I also exported my library and playlists. Originally the playlists did not transfer over, but when I manually exported them and brought them in, they did work.

When in iTunes on the new computer, all of my songs in the library are selected, or "checked off." In my previous library I had tons that were not selected or checked off. Also, pretty much every album was given it's own playlist. I'm pretty sure I tried moving over the music first, then importing the library file and vice versa.

I tried reading the OP, but admittedly not the entire thread. I also read various articles. I was able to do this years ago without issue, but apparently my computer savvy has since degraded. Do you have any suggestions on how I can keep my library intact on the new computer?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Run iTunes to make a blank library. Then copy over your old /Music/iTunes folder on top of the blank one. That should be all you need to do.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

IUG posted:

Run iTunes to make a blank library. Then copy over your old /Music/iTunes folder on top of the blank one. That should be all you need to do.

I've tried to uninstall iTunes, then reinstall before trying any of this. That still keep my old info in there. Even if I delete the old library. All the old playlists that I don't want stay there. On the old computer I kept my library under My Music. All albums were under that. I also had an iTunes folder amongst all the other music folders. I transferred all of those folders over to the My Music folder on the new computer. I don't know if there were some other important files under Program Files/iTunes that were needed. I feel like I'm making this way more difficult than it needs to be.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah I think you are. You just launch the program once to make the folder in ~/Music/, quit the app, and copy over your old iTunes folder over the empty library folder. You don't have to use the export or import commands from ITunes..

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

IUG posted:

Yeah I think you are. You just launch the program once to make the folder in ~/Music/, quit the app, and copy over your old iTunes folder over the empty library folder. You don't have to use the export or import commands from ITunes..

Is the problem that I don't have all my music folders as subfolders under the iTunes folder? As it stands now, I have all my album folders as well as an iTunes folder free floating under My Music.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If you keep the folder structure the same, it shouldn't matter. Otherwise I believe if you go to play a song that is missing, it'll ask you to locate it. I also strongly believe that it will also ask if you then want to have it scan that folder for any other missing songs.

Really the easiest way is to let iTunes organize it for you, and then have it do a consolidation. I don't know why anyone would still want or need to make folders and subfolders themselves.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Game-Blouses posted:

I recently got a new computer and have attempted to transfer my iTunes library (all music) over without a lot of success. I'm trying to go for seamless continuity. I think in a nutshell, that I pretty much created a new library rather than moving my existing one over. I backed up all my songs and moved them over to the new computer. I also exported my library and playlists. Originally the playlists did not transfer over, but when I manually exported them and brought them in, they did work.

When in iTunes on the new computer, all of my songs in the library are selected, or "checked off." In my previous library I had tons that were not selected or checked off. Also, pretty much every album was given it's own playlist. I'm pretty sure I tried moving over the music first, then importing the library file and vice versa.

I tried reading the OP, but admittedly not the entire thread. I also read various articles. I was able to do this years ago without issue, but apparently my computer savvy has since degraded. Do you have any suggestions on how I can keep my library intact on the new computer?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201625

Restore your Library from a backup I think is the section you need.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

iTunes keeps doing this for the same 1800 files every time. Is there any way to stop this? I let it run its course but nope it does it again the next time I launch.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Why does playing the playlist shuffled always play in the same order and how can I change it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I found a long time ago that iTunes/iPhones are very stubborn about playing tracks, even if you skip them. My solution was to make a playlist that picked X number of songs (like a third of my collection) picked by least recently played. That way after something was played, it wouldn't show up in that playlist again for a long time. Maybe mix that in with "Last Skipped > greater than > 7 days" or something if you want.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Fallorn posted:

Why does playing the playlist shuffled always play in the same order and how can I change it.

I have a smart playlist (that gets synched to my AW for working out) that contains songs:
- 4/5 star rating
- Hasn't been played in the past 7 days
- Hasn't been skipped in the past 2 months
- Limited to 2GB with live updating

And it STILL plays the same loving songs in the same order basically. I super don't understand it. If I go to the gym, I'm guaranteed to get at least 5 of the same songs every single day, despite them being played/skipped the previous day.

How do live updating playlists get updated? Does iTunes have to be open somewhere for it to work, since you stupidly still can't create/edit smart playlists on devices?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

In my experience, it only updates when you sync it with iTunes. Which is why I sync at least twice a day (beginning of day, end of day). It's annoying and why I never stayed with iTunes Match, since that didn't help solve that either.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

None of my devices have synced with iTunes for years now. I have Apple Music, which I figured would.... just sync the playlists automatically when the devices are plugged in and on wifi?

When I put my watch on the charger, I can see the "syncing X songs" progress bar if I open the Music settings in the Watch phone app, but I still get the same songs :shrug:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I'd love to know how iTunes developers use the product they create since they presumably have the Golden Music Workflow that avoids all of these issues.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

None of my devices have synced with iTunes for years now. I have Apple Music, which I figured would.... just sync the playlists automatically when the devices are plugged in and on wifi?

When I put my watch on the charger, I can see the "syncing X songs" progress bar if I open the Music settings in the Watch phone app, but I still get the same songs :shrug:

Yeah, this is exactly why I didn't use Match. I couldn't get it to update smart playlists and automatically remove a song when I played a song. On iTunes it's removed a second after playing the song. With Match it never updated and songs that didn't meet the criteria stayed there until I canceled and refunded Match.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

TACD posted:

I'd love to know how iTunes developers use the product they create since they presumably have the Golden Music Workflow that avoids all of these issues.

I've steadily come to the conclusion that the people who work on iTunes / the iOS Music app don't themselves actually listen to music.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Anybody know how to turn off iPhone Apple Music’s annoying new feature where it replays an album once the last song finishes? I never had this problem until recently.

Edit: nvm. I figured out that you have to swipe up while listening to find the repeat button.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 14, 2019

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
After getting the new version of Mojave and iTunes, suddenly a bunch of my audiobooks won't play. They start and then end immediately. Also, it shows the length as 356 hours and 52 minutes. I've tried deleting them and re-adding them, and rebuilding the library. Nothing works so far.

If I open the file in QuickTime, it plays fine and shows the correct time. These are all DRM-free .m4a files.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/1114261872029700098

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
So I have an issue with a recent iTunes movie purchase.

When playing the movie the "menu" of the movie (i.e for the iTunes extras) flashes intermittently on the screen.

Anyone know what is up with this ?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

mfny posted:

When playing the movie the "menu" of the movie (i.e for the iTunes extras) flashes intermittently on the screen.

Mac? PC? iTunes version?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

mfny posted:

I'm curious: does this happen on the downloaded version and the streaming version?

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Mac? PC? iTunes version?

Mac, and whatever the current version is on Mac

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm curious: does this happen on the downloaded version and the streaming version?

Funny you should mention/ask this but I tried steaming instead of the download version and the problem went away I think ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Been :spergin: over my tags lately and I'm finally about to go down the rabbit hole of rating/"loving" songs.

Am I correct in assuming that Loving an album has no effect outside of Apple Music? I've been testing out a smart playlist, and the love/like/dislike (however they label it in different areas of the UI) parameter will work as expected with individual songs, but albums seem to be ignored.

What I'll probably end up doing is liking/disliking individual tracks to tailor my own personal listening, and using stars as more of a popularity measure for use in different "general audience" settings.