Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Allright, post-patch galaxy is way more dangerous. AI drops shitloads of mines just outside jump gates now. This is turning out to become a really awesome game.

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Tried a new game with 1.3

Observations so far:

- I cant hire people off cap ships anymore! boo
- Performance tanked for me personally
- Lots more action in the galaxy it seems?

Serious question aside, is there NO autopilot at all in ships when you take them over? I had a pirate kestrel jump ship and i cant figure out a way to get it to station without hopping in myself.
Edit: I also hired someone at a station and they just stood there and stared off into space, wouldnt even try to go to my ship! rear end in a top hat. I also cant promote anyone i hire into ship captain!

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 7, 2018

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

FrickenMoron posted:

Serious question aside, is there NO autopilot at all in ships when you take them over? I had a pirate kestrel jump ship and i cant figure out a way to get it to station without hopping in myself.

Someone needs to be piloting it for you. If you capture a ship with a Marine, they will, if it's a small ship you need to get someone onto it as a pilot first.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Great then. I'm 100% incapable of hiring a pilot for my current ship

- I cant promote anyone to captain if i hire a marine or crewman
- anyone i try to hire as a captain on the station refuses to move on the ship.

Edit: had to fire everyone and try to hire several people, someone finally started to move.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 7, 2018

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

FrickenMoron posted:

Great then. I'm 100% incapable of hiring a pilot for my current ship

- I cant promote anyone to captain if i hire a marine or crewman
- anyone i try to hire as a captain on the station refuses to move on the ship.

Edit: had to fire everyone and try to hire several people, someone finally started to move.

Glad you found a solution, but for things like this try leaving the sector and the game will just "calculate" what the AI should be doing rather than actually simulating them walking to your ship, sitting down, etc. This fixes a lot of AI issues such as ships getting stuck, flying in circles, Marines not capturing ships, crew not boarding/departing ships when hired or fired.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Echoing that I played a bit of 1.3 today and saw a couple of piles of wrecks apparently from ANT trying to invade HOP space. Good poo poo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is 1.3 out of beta branch yet?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

It is, 1.31 on beta

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

1.31 is now on the beta branch.

efb

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

The Graphene Refinery sells graphene for 200 credits
The Teladium Refinery sells Teladium for 150 credits.
The hull plating factory buys graphene for 205 credits and teladium for 158 credits.

That's single digit profits in money, nevermind percentage. What the actual gently caress is this poo poo? That's not even enough to cover fuel costs so it's a good thing they don't exist. Is vertical integration the only way to go then? Just start from mining, then build a refinery, and maybe do value-added manufacturing from there? What the gently caress.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 7, 2018

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

The Graphene Refinery sells graphene for 200 credits
The Teladium Refinery sells Teladium for 150 credits.
The hull plating factory buys graphene for 205 credits and teladium for 158 credits.

That's single digit profits in money. What the actual gently caress is this poo poo? That's not even enough to cover fuel costs so it's a good thing they don't exist Is vertical integration the only way to go then? Just start from mining, then build a refinery, and maybe do value-added manufacturing from there? What the gently caress.

Spacefuel has worked really well for me so far, buying it out in the Western sectors and selling it in Pious Mists.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Isn't spacefuel quasi-illegal? I mean making a spacedrugs manufacturing & distributing empire is pretty cool and all, but being an actual legitimate businessman (as opposed to "Legitimate Businessman™") ought to be viable too.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Isn't spacefuel quasi-illegal? I mean making a spacedrugs manufacturing & distributing empire is pretty cool and all, but being an actual legitimate businessman (as opposed to "Legitimate Businessman™") ought to be viable too.

It's illegal to the Argon Feds and one other faction I forget, but if you only sell it in sectors where it's legal nobody cares.

But yes, you're right in a way, the legal stuff should also be viable. I'm also looking at Silicon Wafers and Microchips for a legal-everywhere station.

I think there are ways to disrupt production on stations which might also impact the economies.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think the reason the profit margins on those things are so thin is they're lower level products so they're a bit over-produced. Nobody really needs them that much because the consumption rate is fairly constant. The higher level stuff meanwhile gets used to build ships and stations so it gets eaten in huge chunks. I'm not really sure why the profit margins on Spacefuel are so high - part of it seems to be that trading stations want it and trading stations tend to have buy orders in huge quantities. Spaceweed doesn't have anywhere near as good returns (from what I've explored in my game so far I'd actually be trading at a loss if I bought from the cheapest supplier and sold to the highest buyer).

The economy in general seems a little wonky. Nividium still doesn't seem to have any purpose, although trading stations will buy it in the latest patch so you can at least unload it if you've been mining it. Are trading stations just resource sinks? They seem to buy stuff for way too much money to be making a profit acting as a broker, and as far as I can tell they don't actually produce anything.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Another tip for queing orders fast is grabbing the route line and moving it creates a new waypoint so you can do like a "fly to" order and quickly make a ton of checkpoints to cover the sector and this works better than autoexplore or sequentially adding waypoints from the dropdown rightclick menu.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

How are you all seeing the beta branch? It’s not visible to me.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Beefeater1980 posted:

How are you all seeing the beta branch? It’s not visible to me.

The beta branch code is "IBackedUpMySaves" which is a thing you should probably do.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Turrets still seem broken. I bought the Argon Corvette which has 2 guns and like 4 turrets, which I made Beam turrets, and went into the Xenon sector. Didn't see anyone so went to a Xenon station and started firing at it and a bunch of drones popped out. Turrets were firing really slow and missing almost all the shots. :(

timn
Mar 16, 2010
gently caress I just sprang the $80 for the collector's edition. Even if the game takes time to reach its full potential, this is like the one developer and the one time in the history where buying in early to give support actually makes sense.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

phq mission blew me the gently caress up even though I was where it told me to be :thumbsup:

bonus: last save was before I bought the sacrificial ship

gently caress me right

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

it tells you to not be there though.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

it tells you to not be there though.

Boron buddy said "hey man go chill at this observation point" so i did :shrug:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

hitze posted:

Boron buddy said "hey man go chill at this observation point" so i did :shrug:

With a guy like that, you really should have added on a kilometer or several to be on the safe side :v:

In all seriousness though that worked fine for me, so idk what happened to you there man.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sometimes the trigger kills the wrong ship.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Tried out that "more tracers!" mod that just makes it so all weaponry has higher fire rates but lower damage, balanced to have the same DPS. It was neat for a bit but I think the sound effects don't make it such a good idea... so I went to disable it and all my saves were invalidated.

So don't try out the more tracers mod until the dev fixes that, I guess.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Running into problems with my spaceweed factory. It should be self-sufficient with only needing Ice but the ice miner assigned never actually mines anything. I actually manually sent it to a sector where I had a resource probe up with Ice all around it. It seems to just fly back and forth in a small area never actually mining anything.

Edit: to be clear it is the correct mine type ship. I have another of the exact type automining ice elsewhere. I also have the correct storage. I even added extra of each type to be sure.

The trade ship assigned similarly doesn't do anything. It's flown to a slightly off to the side position and flies back and forth as well.

I manually traded some water and got production going but then my storage filled up with nobody buying anything ever.

After starting and stopping work orders several times and even unassigning ships but nothing fixes it. Currently I'm having it taken apart and remade because I noticed one of the production modules was clipping through the Solar panels so maybe that's it, but if any other goons has experienced this I'd like to know.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 8, 2018

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Darkhold posted:

Running into problems with my spaceweed factory. It should be self-sufficient with only needing Ice but the ice miner assigned never actually mines anything. I actually manually sent it to a sector where I had a resource probe up with Ice all around it. It seems to just fly back and forth in a small area never actually mining anything.

Edit: to be clear it is the correct mine type ship. I have another of the exact type automining ice elsewhere. I also have the correct storage. I even added extra of each type to be sure.

The trade ship assigned similarly doesn't do anything. It's flown to a slightly off to the side position and flies back and forth as well.

I manually traded some water and got production going but then my storage filled up with nobody buying anything ever.

After starting and stopping work orders several times and even unassigning ships but nothing fixes it. Currently I'm having it taken apart and remade because I noticed one of the production modules was clipping through the Solar panels so maybe that's it, but if any other goons has experienced this I'd like to know.

Does the station have a manager? You need a manager assigned to the station or nothing will work. That was my first road block, as the manager I assigned kept not wanting to get off the ship when I undocked until I tried it a few times. There will be a mission under "upkeep" if there's no manager assigned.

If you do and it's still not working, then you might have to fiddle with it. I just had an issue where the miners had full cargo but were just sitting there. I removed them from the station, manually transferred cargo, then reassigned them and it was fine then.

As far as selling, I had to set my final product price to something higher then what stations are selling it for, but lower then the higher buy prices otherwise my trader would just sit there like a moron and not sell. If you set the price to the floor others will start buying eventually. Those setting are under "Logistics"-whatever when you right-click, or the other top-right corner tab in the station build screen.

Good luck!

REDjackeT fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 8, 2018

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Heh well I'm 90% sure I assigned a manager but now I'll have to check when I get home. If that's it I'll have a real :doh: moment. This is like my fourth factory and the only one I've had problems with.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Another thing to check is if it's a L or XL ship, it needs mining drones to be able to collect the stuff it mines, and cargo drones to be able to offload it to the station.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Has nobody else had performance problems since 1.3? I think it might be because i started a new game and the galaxy seems on fire. When i started my first game on 1.0 it was slow at first but then became much quicker eventually... might be tied to galaxy activity?

Edit: I also accidently declined the player HQ mission offer, can i get it again some time?

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 8, 2018

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Yeah, I restarted a 1.3 and I get a very noticeable stutter anytime I'm on stations, and occasionally in space. My in progress game is still fine.

I think I saw for someone else doing the same you can rescan the station, or another station to get the HQ mission again, might need to go in and out of the system a couple times and/or reboot the game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Glad to see the black market access missions are still completely broken. I tried to do one with spacefly eggs, got em later and came back to the station and now the bar is gone.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So one cute touch. Your character starts impact your camera angle :buddy:

I was taking a sneak peek (I figure I'll use Explorer start next do over), and for example the Teladi start you unlock when you first get your player HQ means the landing pad console is notably shorter.

Shame the "Economy Analytics software mk1" listed by the start is a no show. What a cocktease. But at least it giving you a Vulture instead of the listed Manorina (Not specifying if it was the Mineral or Gas one) is for the best.

Also, finding the pirate HQ and talking to the guy in the bar (unrelated to lucrative missions. It was a freeform visit) gets an achievement, but no pirate start or anything. Does anyone have any ideas what the character unlocks are aside from "Player HQ = Teladi with a flower factory"?

FrickenMoron posted:

Glad to see the black market access missions are still completely broken. I tried to do one with spacefly eggs, got em later and came back to the station and now the bar is gone.

I've seen the response "Those ask for CAVIAR, you need to craft it from the eggs" floating around the internet, but that didn't help me any for the missions asking for unstable crystals or software :v:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It specifically asked for spacefly eggs, not caviar. Basically in my experience unless you immediately hop onto the station you got the signal from the bar will vanish if you fly away.

Edit:

Do security slicers etc. actually do anything or can I sell those?

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 8, 2018

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

It specifically asked for spacefly eggs, not caviar. Basically in my experience unless you immediately hop onto the station you got the signal from the bar will vanish if you fly away.

Edit:

Do security slicers etc. actually do anything or can I sell those?

I think you go into engineering sections of stations and hack into things with them. Trying now, I just managed to put some together

Edit:
Hacking Production does....something, I'm sure, but I couldn't actually tell.
Hacking Trade Terminal gives you better prices at that station
Hacking Construction Line does nothing I could tell
Hacking Storage makes the station vomit out trade goods

idk, seems better to sell them

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 8, 2018

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Anyone know how to use the skill books you buy? I found a management one, a morale one and a pilot one but I can't figure out how to apply them. Are they just bugged and useless at the moment?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Danith posted:

Anyone know how to use the skill books you buy? I found a management one, a morale one and a pilot one but I can't figure out how to apply them. Are they just bugged and useless at the moment?

Yeah they don't do anything right now.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Possibly dumb question: Do you need to start a new game to benefit from the patch effects concerning enemy activity and suchlike, or will those end up trickling down into an ongoing save as well?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Egosoft says it shouldn't make a difference but I noticed more enemies and action when I started a new save. It could be that it will take awhile for the enemies to build up again in an old save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Before I go about dicking with it, anyone toyed with putting smaller ships with their mothership sized partners?. L sized mining and transport ships can dock smaller ships, so could I say, assign 40 S sized ore miners to an L sized ore miner and them all move as a group?