Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

holy poo poo wait a sec is

or

a viable url now that they allow utf-whatever in urls???

trick question, theyre both valid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

well theres a snype. :piss:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

design patterns are fine. some problem classes recur often enough for a generally-applicable solution to be recognized. a pattern catalog is a handy thing to page through for inspiration if you get stuck

people who are enthusiastic about patterns, or build whole systems by sticking patterns together...poison

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

hey everyone, faked my death and moving to japan

mystes
May 31, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

hey everyone, faked my death and moving to japan
I think faking your death works better if you stop posting too.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
why do people move to japan instead of going to a place with more progressive labor standards idgi

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Corla Plankun posted:

why do people move to japan instead of going to a place with more progressive labor standards idgi

sure he's white*, but does he have citizenship anywhere in europe? he could be australian for all we know

* yospos assumption

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Corla Plankun posted:

ramen is good and you can apparently sleep at your desk for like 4 hours a day

edit: for real though I know multiple people who have worked in Japan and the hours are insane. also if you arrived late you had to write a letter of apology or something. I'd have been fired in week one as I'm like an hour late every day lol.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 8, 2018

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
lol if your employer has a concept of “arriving late”

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Maybe I'm a moron but boy do I hate Spring. Java is a perfectly good language but using spring you don't get to write any, just gently caress around with endless combinations of hard to debug attributes and configuration.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

lol if your employer has a concept of “arriving late”

i did get a few weird looks when i showed up 2pm once

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i did get a few weird looks when i showed up 2pm once

just play it off like you're coming back from lunch

make sure you take your bag to lunch every day to prime expectations

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I mean yeah it’s polite to let someone know if you’re going to deviate significantly from your personal routine, so they don’t have to worry if you’re ok or not. but there’s a huge difference between “hey let me know if you’re not going to be in before lunch” and “you will start work by 0830 if you ever want a raise”

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

pointsofdata posted:

Maybe I'm a moron but boy do I hate Spring. Java is a perfectly good language but using spring you don't get to write any, just gently caress around with endless combinations of hard to debug attributes and configuration.

i support a team that uses Spring to setup their database connection, but never bothered to configure the possibility of a connection failure, so in all envs it will occasionally throw an ugly JDBC trace and then “succeed” after doing gently caress all with their data for a while and offer no useful logs. their answer to my question of “why don’t you add custom error handling” is “yes but we use spring and can’t change it” which is the dumbest poo poo

this same team ends all their shell scripts with exit 0 and never logs any errors so any issue is hours of manual debugging and I want to shoot them all into the sun

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
what the hell, out of the box spring will even crash your application at startup it it can't connect to the database

you need to go out of your way to not do that

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Sagacity posted:

what the hell, out of the box spring will even crash your application at startup it it can't connect to the database

you need to go out of your way to not do that

yeah that sounds like something they’d do. i don’t have access to their repos to shame them so the worst I can do is bring it up to their management but it’s at “steady state” and their interest in any change is nil

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the one time i came in at 10 everyone thought i died because i usually come in at 7

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

PierreTheMime posted:

i support a team that uses Spring to setup their database connection, but never bothered to configure the possibility of a connection failure, so in all envs it will occasionally throw an ugly JDBC trace and then “succeed” after doing gently caress all with their data for a while and offer no useful logs. their answer to my question of “why don’t you add custom error handling” is “yes but we use spring and can’t change it” which is the dumbest poo poo

this same team ends all their shell scripts with exit 0 and never logs any errors so any issue is hours of manual debugging and I want to shoot them all into the sun

I don't get why you would use it just for database access, it's like 1000x harder to get working than a normal connection string

E: http://samatkinson.com/why-i-hate-spring/
I agree 100%

distortion park fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 8, 2018

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

pointsofdata posted:

I don't get why you would use it just for database access, it's like 1000x harder to get working than a normal connection string

they do a lot of etl work and from the looks of it it’s helpful there, but I’m not sure of their specifics. I just get to see the crap that breaks and is externally accessible

they also just realized they’ve been printing pii for a year+ and no one at any level of review caught it so my quibbles are the least of their problems

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

PierreTheMime posted:

they do a lot of etl work and from the looks of it it’s helpful there, but I’m not sure of their specifics. I just get to see the crap that breaks and is externally accessible

they also just realized they’ve been printing pii for a year+ and no one at any level of review caught it so my quibbles are the least of their problems

I do a lot of etl work and it seems awful. Trying to debug a spring app that someone else wrote is hard enough, but of the problem is with types not lining up in one of the magic steps you're just straight up screwed

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

carry on then posted:

love to read constant back one forth volleys consisting solely of “my kind of programming is the only real kind of programming”

I do many kinds of programming and I believe I make generally good choices of the technologies to use and how to use them

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

yeah my point was that 16 userspace bytes per open file aint gonna be what kills you. writing a bunch of code so it's 0 bytes instead of 16 isn't gonna make a big dent in the total

you have to write a bunch of code either way. one bunch of code sucks in every conceivable way, the other is literally the way the language was designed to be used

Soricidus posted:

c++ chat: i opened some c++ today for the first time in a while, and the first thing i saw was it calling std::string::data() and then using const_cast so it could modify the result. what could possibly go wrong?

it's legal starting in c++17. calling data() on a non-const basic_string now returns a non-const pointer. and thank god, took them long enough

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

What awesome version of GCC supports std::quoted(std::string_view)? It's part of C++17 but GCC 7.2.0 moans like an rear end.

Less than 1 month into a 5 month or so project and almost feature complete already. C++ is so easy these days, first day a TLS server up and running, second day a full HTTPS server up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

idk which thread this goes in but i could use some halp here

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1071573956354805765

I have a 256-byte RAM module here. When CS and WEN are high, the value in data_bus_in[7:0] is written to the cell addr[7:0]. This value will appear on the the output on the next clock cycle.

HOWEVER If addr is $00, nothing is written to RAM. Any other value and it writes... but not $00. Any ideas?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hackbunny posted:

I do many kinds of programming and I believe I make generally good choices of the technologies to use and how to use them

you called all java programmers hobbyists

that’s exactly the kind of poo poo I’m getting really tired of in this industry, the smug condescension everyone exudes toward all programmers who don’t make the exact same choices

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i'm getting real tired of all u fuckers making GBS threads on my javascript

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

carry on then posted:

that’s exactly the kind of poo poo I’m getting really tired of in this industry, the smug condescension everyone exudes toward all programmers who don’t make the exact same choices

just what I’d expect a shitlang using scrublord would say. maybe you should try using a good language for once :smuggo:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

akadajet posted:

i'm getting real tired of all u fuckers making GBS threads on my javascript

then stop writing it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
lol if you write anything other than c++20

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

redleader posted:

lol if you write anything other than c++20

I recently had the luxury of moving to C++03 at work.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Arcsech posted:

just what I’d expect a shitlang using scrublord would say. maybe you should try using a good language for once :smuggo:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

carry on then posted:

what? who? when? I'm a java programmer too so I have no idea what you're talking about

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

carry on then posted:

if yospos isn't the right place for smug condescension over meaningless technical trivia then what reason does it have to exist

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i think java is a great language for getting work done but i don't know if i'd want to work with someone who uses it in their free time

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

i think java is a great language for getting work done but i don't know if i'd want to work with someone who uses it in their free time

eh it's good enough for most uses and why learn something else if you don't need it?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jit bull transpile posted:

eh it's good enough for most uses and why learn something else if you don't need it?

yeah this, it's my "native" programming language so to speak so if i want to bang something out with the least friction it's basically gotta be java

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
can’t imagine writing java in your free time

yikes!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

elite_garbage_man posted:

I recently had the luxury of moving to C++03 at work.

Oof. At least most of the nice STL additions (and I think lambdas?) are in boost somewhere, right? Can you at least use that?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

there are basically two worthwhile options if you’re programming in your free time:

- play with fun languages
- play with fun problems

trying to do both at once is a recipe for never finishing a project so if you’re doing the second one then you’re best off choosing a language that you know well. no reason not to choose java if that fits the bill. it’s a good enough language, if a rather dull one, with a great ecosystem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Soricidus posted:

there are basically two worthwhile options if you’re programming in your free time:

- play with fun languages
- play with fun problems

trying to do both at once is a recipe for never finishing a project .

I didn't know you followed my work