Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, on that note, Kino has another sale and it's one of their best of the year so far:
https://www.klstudioclassics.com

NO. No more sales. I’ve already spent enough....okay, I might pick up a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

While I have the Blus for the first four, that's a really nice offer. I'm curious to whether they're 4K since except for Robin Hood they were full 4K restorations.

Unfortunately they're only HD but it's still a pleasant surprise.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

NO. No more sales. I’ve already spent enough....okay, I might pick up a few.

A bunch of silents were marked down - I'll probably get Beggars of Life (William Wellman directs Louise Brooks and Wallace Beery), Old Ironsides, Stage Struck (Allan Dwan directs Gloria Swanson), and You Never Know Women (another Wellman film).

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Cloks posted:

Just got an email from Filmstruck/WB with a code for five movies on movies anywhere:

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD • CASABLANCA • KING KONG • SINGIN' IN THE RAIN • A STAR IS BORN (1954)

Seems like they're sending them to former subscribers.

This goes for anyone that subscribed, apparently. Check your spam folder. I hadn't subscribed since last year, but I still got the code.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Hmm I've been a subscriber since the beginning and don't see an email.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Origami Dali posted:

Hmm I've been a subscriber since the beginning and don't see an email.

I subscribed at the beginning albeit letting it lapse and no code for me

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Deep Discount DVD is having a 45% off sale on the Criterion Collection.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

But the shipping is free!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Here's the Amazon listing if anyone wants to buy it.

https://www.amazon.com/Charmed-Seas...in%3A2650304011

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That is truly super value.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Vagabundo posted:

This is how people launder money.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Someone posted a link to Techmoan's youtube channel a few months ago and now I'm addicted to his videos. Old electronics are my jam, and I enjoy watching him take things apart and fix what's wrong, show off some crazy old video format, or just show me some weird vertical turntable that I will never be able to justify purchasing. Are there any channels similar to this?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vagabundo posted:

I can find much better material for the old spank bank a hell of a lot cheaper than that

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone know how criterion’s True Stories came out

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

ultraviolence123 posted:

Someone posted a link to Techmoan's youtube channel a few months ago and now I'm addicted to his videos. Old electronics are my jam, and I enjoy watching him take things apart and fix what's wrong, show off some crazy old video format, or just show me some weird vertical turntable that I will never be able to justify purchasing. Are there any channels similar to this?

I binged all of his videos last month, probably from a link in this thread too.

In one of Techmoan's videos he links to EEVblog, that guy is worth checking out too. He breaks down electronics and is enthusiastic as gently caress.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

Anyone know how criterion’s True Stories came out

Didn’t gave time to watch it before leaving for a work trip, but I skimmed a bit and it looks and sounds perfect.

I kicked myself for not remembering to bring the soundtrack with me.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

ultraviolence123 posted:

If you like old tech and sarcasm, OddityArchive can be fun.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Didn’t gave time to watch it before leaving for a work trip, but I skimmed a bit and it looks and sounds perfect.

I kicked myself for not remembering to bring the soundtrack with me.

The soundtrack is on Spotify too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I love Techmoan videos. Excellent production values, interesting topics, and I like Mat's sense of humor. They're a breath of fresh air for all the garbage tech videos out there. More proof that the garbage quality videos out there are without excuse if some Brit can make pro-quality stuff in his home.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ultraviolence123 posted:

I don’t know why this ended up in this thread, but Lazy Game Reviews has the Oddware series that occasionally deals with peculiar old hardware/software. His delivery is pretty similar to TechMoan and I think they even have a collaboration or two.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Thanks for the suggestions, they are hitting the spot. Bonus points for EEVblog having an awesome wacky accent. Sorry for going off topic, I figured that people here would have better suggestions since I found the Techmoan link in this thread.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Best Buy has Fox's Oklahoma! dual format release for only $8
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/oklahoma-4-discs-includes-digital-copy-blu-ray-dvd-1955/8192439.p?skuId=8192439

While it may not be a great film, it's a bargain considering it has 4K restorations of both the Todd-AO (2.20:1/30fps) and CinemaScope (2.55:1/24fps) versions in 1080p. In fact, they encoded the Todd-AO version at 60fps so that the true 30fps frame rate can be seen with progressive frames.

The Blu-ray is fairly important because both previous DVD editions were among the worst ever released by a major studio. The original DVD was only letterboxed with poor encoding and only the Todd-AO version. While the second edition had both versions, they added a massive amount of DVNR causing the film to look almost out of focus and with terrible color.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 5, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I bought the 4 disc Blade Runner 4K set, and am absolutely blown away by it. It looks and sounds amazing. It helps that my previous experience with the film was with the 2007 Collector's Edition DVDs, and no surround sound. That was probably the first movie I bought with the money from my first real job.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I bought the 4 disc Blade Runner 4K set, and am absolutely blown away by it. It looks and sounds amazing. It helps that my previous experience with the film was with the 2007 Collector's Edition DVDs, and no surround sound. That was probably the first movie I bought with the money from my first real job.

I was going to order it when it was on sale, but apparently the extra cuts and supplements are all DVDs instead of Blu-rays, which makes zero sense. The UK edition has proper Blu-rays, but it's expensive.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

I was going to order it when it was on sale, but apparently the extra cuts and supplements are all DVDs instead of Blu-rays, which makes zero sense. The UK edition has proper Blu-rays, but it's expensive.
I bought the UK set after dithering about it for a few months. Actually bought it twice because fate chose this time for me to experience my first package theft. My apartment complex has had issues with Amazon drivers dumping packages in the unsecured entryways of the buildings instead of taking them to the office like they're supposed to. But it was an Amazon order so they had me refunded in 5 minutes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got the 4 disc all cut Blu Ray set for like 15 bucks once. I don’t even like the flick, but it seemed worth it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Egbert Souse posted:

What?

Are we talking about the one with five cuts? The films are all on Blu-ray and in HD. Only the discs just dedicated to special features were DVD. If it has a cut of Blade Runner, that disc is a Blu.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I picked up The Evil Dead 4K today. It's been a few years since I last watched it, and I had forgotten how well done it is for an amateur film.

Then I got a little sad that, with the internet and horror in the mainstream, kids these days just don't have mythic horror movie experiences like I did anymore.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

What?

Are we talking about the one with five cuts? The films are all on Blu-ray and in HD. Only the discs just dedicated to special features were DVD. If it has a cut of Blade Runner, that disc is a Blu.

Except that was fixed for the 2012 edition. Here's the disc layout for the three editions:

2007 Ultimate Collector's Edition (DVD/Blu-Ray):
Disc 1: Final Cut (DVD-9 or BD-25)
Disc 2: Theatrical/International/Director's Cut (DVD-9 or BD-25)
Disc 3: Dangerous Days documentary (DVD-9 on all editions)
Disc 4: Supplements (DVD-9 on all editions)
Disc 5: Workprint (DVD-9 or BD-25)

2012 Digibook (Blu-ray only):
Disc 1: Final Cut (BD-25 - same as 2007 release)
Disc 2: Theatrical/International/Director's Cut (BD-25 - same as 2007 release)
Disc 3: Workprint cut plus Dangerous Days and supplements plus new extensive image gallery (BD-50 - discs 3-5 combined from 2007 release)

2017 UHD:
Disc 1: Final Cut (4K UHD)
Disc 2: Final Cut (same Blu-ray from 2007/2012 editions)
Disc 3: Dangerous Days documentary (DVD-9 from 2007 edition)
Disc 4: Supplements (DVD-9 from 2007 edition)

What makes things worse is that the only editions currently in print in the US are the 4K and the movie-only Final Cut Blu.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Did the workprint get heavily compressed from 2007 to 2012? I got the oiriginal BRs. I'd hate to lose the clarity of the dirt and grain.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Did the workprint get heavily compressed from 2007 to 2012? I got the oiriginal BRs. I'd hate to lose the clarity of the dirt and grain.

Seems to be the same encode except with DTS-HD MA 5.1 instead of PCM 5.1. Instead of a BD-25 for the workprint and a DVD-9 each for the doc and supplements, they moved the two DVD-9s worth of SD content to a BD-50 along with the workprint. Though, Dangerous Days was produced in full HD according to the disc producer, but they didn't have the ability to encode a 3 1/2 hr. doc on a single BD-25 at the time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I got the Blade Runner Blu-ray by doing WB's "exchange your hddvd cover for the Blu-ray" program after the Great Surrender. Couldn't be happier with it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I actually saw an HDDVD player sitting in a thrift store the other day. More common to see dusty old VCRs than those!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I actually saw an HDDVD player sitting in a thrift store the other day. More common to see dusty old VCRs than those!

To be fair, VHS was the most popular home video format ever from the 1980s through the 90s and even still had a significant foothold into the early 2000s. HDDVD never got off the ground and even the format that won in that competition was never and will never be as popular as its two predecessors.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm just surprised that there's that many units still working, every single player I owned died one by one. Which was a shame, as I had a really nice Sony deck that gave a great picture quality. The last thing it did was murder one of my Rocky tapes. His final fall.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I found a betamax player in a thrift store about a year ago. It was in pristine condition and even had the original manual and remote. I think the remote night have even been still sealed in its original bag. That's the only time I ever saw one of those. I ended up buying it for a friend of mine who collects old poo poo like that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Remember when Microsoft released that add-on HD-DVD player for Xbox 360? lol

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I bought one, it was fun to mess around with TS captures from usenet to try and get them playing back after burnt to DVDRs (it actually didn't do the worst job as long as the bitrate didn't go to insane from memory). I didn't keep it long and sold it to a friend while they were still being sought after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I bought one of those before I had a 360 to use on my PC