Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

This is awesome but quite spoilery for those watching the first time through. Fair warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I'm sort of surprised there hasn't been some sort of fan effort to redo the effects. I mean it would end up being distributed as :filez: I'm sure as there really wouldn't be any other way to distribute it widely, but the CGI is dated to the point now that I'd bet some talented amateurs could do some impressive updates.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

hope and vaseline posted:

Really the best improvements imo would be the live action/cgi composite scenes that look noticeable horrible when it cuts back and forth from the widescreen live action shots

I'd like to see a comparison to make sure it's not just another compromise. The zoom/crop is bad, and the change from (relatively) good quality live action to that just makes it look even worse. But if it's a matter of the live action stuff looking worse overall too (there's a lot of NTSC inaccuracies in those clips, for example), it's six of one, half dozen of the other, and not even really worth it imo.

If we could get even a quick and cheap transfer from the film masters it would be way better than this. Just straight up dump it to a streamable format with as little processing and care as possible, as long as the masters aren't damaged in any way. I promise to be satisfied with that and not beg for a pristine 4K remaster with new CGI.

For now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Iymarra posted:

Into the Fire is great for multiple reasons, not the least being a notable phrase of get the hell out of our galaxy

Now the fun ride really begins!

Also, :byewhore: for Meeester Morrrrrrden

That was a miss, for me...I kind of wish Vir had had a little more remorse for his words after seeing Morden's head on the spike.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

As an experiment I grabbed a halfway decent model of B5 from online, dropped it in unity, threw a metal texture at it, and did some space skyboxed camera flybys. It seems doable. If I can achieve that in an evening of messing around with stuff I only half know, someone with some actual skill could probably update the CGI with something pretty great.

https://youtu.be/W2q1Oaro1ZQ

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That was a miss, for me...I kind of wish Vir had had a little more remorse for his words after seeing Morden's head on the spike.

Nah, Morden had it coming seasons prior.

Sedgr posted:

As an experiment I grabbed a halfway decent model of B5 from online, dropped it in unity, threw a metal texture at it, and did some space skyboxed camera flybys. It seems doable. If I can achieve that in an evening of messing around with stuff I only half know, someone with some actual skill could probably update the CGI with something pretty great.

https://youtu.be/W2q1Oaro1ZQ

Are you familiar with the Babylon 5 addons and assets for Celestia? I've played around with that, although the whole traveling around in 3D thing gave me vertigo.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nah, Morden had it coming seasons prior.

He definitely had it coming, I just didn't like seeing Vir sink to ~his level~, for lack of a better phrase.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm not sure how Vir sank to Morden's level?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can respect both wanting bad things to happen to bad people and being grossed out by a head on a pike because decapitated heads are loving gross and maybe seeing somebody that was walking and talking a little bit ago dismantled because of me would maybe give me pause. 'Specially if you're a big old softy like Vir.

Still a funny scene though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Vir recognised Mr Morden for exactly what kind of person he was and, which is why Vir gave him that answer in the first place.

Having it come true is nothing but the satisfaction of knowing an evil little manipulator got what was coming to him.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

SlothfulCobra posted:

and maybe seeing somebody that was walking and talking a little bit ago dismantled because of me would maybe give me pause.

You are definitely not Centauri leadership material. Vir it turned out on the other hand, was.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can respect both wanting bad things to happen to bad people and being grossed out by a head on a pike because decapitated heads are loving gross and maybe seeing somebody that was walking and talking a little bit ago dismantled because of me would maybe give me pause. 'Specially if you're a big old softy like Vir.

Still a funny scene though.

Morden came within an inch of causing the destruction of Centauri Prime and everyone on it including Vir, and that's before you take into account his responsibility for billions more deaths through his corruption and manipulation of Londo. It's like saying being pleased with the outcome of the Nuremberg trials was sinking to the level of the Nazis.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
There are exactly two people who Vir displays antipathy and hostility towards: Morden and Cartagia. And even with the latter, Vir wanted to find another way before coming to accept that, to Cartagia's sadism and delusions of godhood, there was no other answer. Vir is one of the few - in fact maybe the only one without pre-existing knowledge such as Delenn and Kosh - who recognized Morden for the malevolent force he is.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

You know what, I'm going to say it: going full screen on my work monitor, that's still not much of an improvement over what we have on the DVDs other than the framing.

It looks substantially better to me.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I mean, didn’t the Shadows kidnap/kill Morden’s wife and child and then use their billion-year-old technology to manipulate that grief and guilt into forcing him to be their agent?

If I remember, weren’t there always a couple of Shadows following him, ensuring his compliance and oversight?

I don’t think the Nazi comparison is fair... :shrug:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

I mean, didn’t the Shadows kidnap/kill Morden’s wife and child and then use their billion-year-old technology to manipulate that grief and guilt into forcing him to be their agent?

No (at least not in the TV show or any of the expanded media I've read)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

No. Morden was vulnerable to their influence because he had recently lost his family. The Z'Ha'Dum mission was his first job after returning from bereavement leave.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Yeah, there is zero reason to feel bad about Morden, because he is a happy loyal agent of the Shadows from start to finish.

If I remember, weren’t there always a couple of Shadows following him, ensuring his compliance and oversight?

Mr Morden's Associates are there to do his dirty work as invisible assassins.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mr Morden's Associates are there to do his dirty work as invisible assassins.
I can only hear that in my head as "Meeeessster Morden".

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Vir following through on his promise to Morden is definitely in my list of top 5 moments of the show.

I still need to watch Season 5, I got kind of a weird vibe from it though, it didn't seem to have the same magic as the previous seasons. Why is that?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I'm guessing that every time the Drazi get close to settling alien issue they all get assigned new opinions and have to start over from the beginning.

GREEN

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
PURPLE

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Vir following through on his promise to Morden is definitely in my list of top 5 moments of the show.

I still need to watch Season 5, I got kind of a weird vibe from it though, it didn't seem to have the same magic as the previous seasons. Why is that?
From what I remember reading, season 5 wasn't expected, and season 4 was written as the final season. That they got a fifth was a fluke. And then there was some other stuff about story notes getting lost at some point, and having to rewrite it all over again or something like that.

Me, I really appreciate season 5 as an epilogue. The war is over, Earth has been freed, a new Alliance is created.

What next?

It's essentially going back to how things were. More standalone episodes. Life going back to normal. Especially having every character leave, one-by-one, in the last few episode, each going to a different location, with new characters taking over their place really gives it a sense of being the end of an era, and the start of a new one. It's not a rushed ending after the climax(which is how DS9's ending feels to me), but a space to let the story breathe and let sink in what happened in the previous seasons and what it will lead to.

Granted, there is the whole subplot with the telepaths that's a bit ehhhh, but then the Centauri storyline starts which wraps up the story for Londo in an incredible fashion.

I really like season five, is what I'm saying. It feels, perhaps, slightly different, but I really like that it gives the time to end the Babylon 5 story arc.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Baron von der Loon posted:

It's not a rushed ending after the climax(which is how DS9's ending feels to me),

Oh yeah, I even really like DS9, but the pacing in S7 is a loving mess. It's a fun show but B5 trounces it basically across the board.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

PURPLE

From what I remember reading, season 5 wasn't expected, and season 4 was written as the final season. That they got a fifth was a fluke. And then there was some other stuff about story notes getting lost at some point, and having to rewrite it all over again or something like that.

The show was originally written for 5 seasons. They found out they weren't getting a fifth season sometime in S4. So they crammed all the super crazy important stuff in, and cut a lot.

Then they got Season 5 after all (on a different network), and had to build a full season at the last minute.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Every season, it wasn't certain that they'd get renewed. During Season 4, it wasn't certain if their network would survive, and it was possible to come up with an ending. It's not that season 4 was meant to be the end, just that it could end there, so about four episodes' worth of plot were compressed in. (As in, Season 4, Episode 18 was planned as the season finale. Frankly I think the biggest problem with Season 5 is that it doesn't have that planned strong opening as part of its pacing.)

Me, I really appreciate season 5 as an epilogue. The war is over, Earth has been freed, a new Alliance is created.

What next?

The Scouring of the Shire.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not a full season. The first half, roughly, is new material. The second half is what was planned for. This is why it is noticeably better.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

And you’re right. JMS ended up losing all his index cards with the plot planned out at a con because the cleaning people moved his room without telling him and threw the drat thing out for some inexplicable reason. :psyduck:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Anyone thinking Vir would feel bad for getting his wish, should just remember, his wife is a war criminal and the main reaction to that is a shrug and "marriage can be tough lol"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I always thought the five seasons were supposed to act like five acts of a play, with the last season acting as the denouement.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Platonicsolid posted:

I always thought the five seasons were supposed to act like five acts of a play, with the last season acting as the denouement.

Yeah, but they were expecting cancellation so they wrapped up some plotlines "early" at the end of S4 and had to make up some new stuff to fill the missing bits of S5.

edit: didn't it go to TNT or something for the final season?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Grand Fromage posted:

Not a full season. The first half, roughly, is new material. The second half is what was planned for. This is why it is noticeably better.

I'd say it's more like the first 1/3rd or two fifths. Once the telepath arc gets literally burned to the ground, the writing quality jumps significantly.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Marmaduke! posted:

Anyone thinking Vir would feel bad for getting his wish, should just remember, his wife is a war criminal and the main reaction to that is a shrug and "marriage can be tough lol"

I kept thinking, when reading those posts, "Vir is a Centauri nobleman, guys." If he ended up in a duel, his response would be less "A duel?! Are you CRAZY?!" but more "I mean I know dueling is a a thing but I never expected I would end up in one!" (Note: It's been a while and I forget his exact reaction to Londo's duel.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Marmaduke! posted:

Actually, the marriage was called off after Londo realized that Vir was embroiled in a scandal - saving Narns from the camps.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I am at the point in season 4 where the Internet says I should watch Thirdspace. So I watched Thirdspace. It felt like a 90-minute rehash of Infection. Are the other movies better?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

wizzardstaff posted:

I am at the point in season 4 where the Internet says I should watch Thirdspace. So I watched Thirdspace. It felt like a 90-minute rehash of Infection. Are the other movies better?

not to my understanding, it's all very optional.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
In the Beginning is probably the best of the lot. I'd say it's worth a watch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

wizzardstaff posted:

In The Beginning is backstory filling. There's some interesting stuff in there, and Reiner Schone, one of the less remembered victims of the B5 Curse. River of Souls has the holobrothel and Martin Sheen in one of his last roles before The West Wing made him famous again. A Call to Arms is the pilot for Crusade.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

In the Beginning is the good B5 movie. Legend of the Rangers is the bad one. The others are all various shades of meh.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Grand Fromage posted:

Legend of the Rangers is the bad one.

If you ignore all other opinions in this thread, heed this one.

Ye be warned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If you ignore all other opinions in this thread, heed this one.

Ye be warned.

punch! kick! punch punch! SUPER KICK!!!!