Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That looks like it’s 12 inches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I get that a lot.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/MonarchSciences/status/1071117138801364992

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It would be really neat if this is actually really the most we're going to actually see of the monsters from the actual trailers, so the majority of people just go in blind only knowing that there's a bunch of big things and then be all like, "Oh, poo poo it's a giant butterfly!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/MonarchSciences/status/1071164164188467200

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Old monarch yells at cloud.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ken Watanabe shaking his fist at a cumulonimbus.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Wait, so are any of you guys with photoshop skills not trying to get your poo poo on Monarch?

I mean, maybe I'm wrong and the connections are tougher than that, but the guy who posted that photo from Brazil seems like legit just some nerd.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

K. Waste posted:

It would be really neat if this is actually really the most we're going to actually see of the monsters from the actual trailers, so the majority of people just go in blind only knowing that there's a bunch of big things and then be all like, "Oh, poo poo it's a giant butterfly!"

im both incredibly hyped for the next trailer and sad that im probably going to see a monster id rather see for the first time in theatres. right now everything about this movie just seems right.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

K. Waste posted:

I mean, really, how do you make one of the best trailers of the last decade and not just pat yourself on the back and step away?

(business, that's how)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

LesterGroans posted:

I mean, really, how do you make one of the best trailers of the last decade and not just pat yourself on the back and step away?

(business, that's how)

Not even the best Godzilla trailer of the decade and I mean that as no insult

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

DeimosRising posted:

Not even the best Godzilla trailer of the decade and I mean that as no insult

I like it better than the Oppenheimer or Halo Jump trailers, but if you're referring to a dope-rear end Shin Godzilla trailer I haven't seen, please share.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

LesterGroans posted:

I like it better than the Oppenheimer or Halo Jump trailers, but if you're referring to a dope-rear end Shin Godzilla trailer I haven't seen, please share.

I still remember thinking how incredibly awesome this Shin Godzilla trailer was, so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WkxVHyzivg

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/monarchsciences/status/1071479526574702593?s=21

:stare:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The kaiju are all majestically terrifying, but what I really want is for them to unleash destruction on the scale of Shin Godzilla or even worse.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tekne posted:

The kaiju are all majestically terrifying, but what I really want is for them to unleash destruction on the scale of Shin Godzilla or even worse.

I don't know if you can top Shin's atomic breath, but Rodan annihilating Washington DC with a windstorm comes close.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 8, 2018

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, this has probably been asked countless times before but...

I've seen the original 1950s Godzilla a dozen times, Godzilla 2014, the original and 1990s Godzilla vs Mothra, and the 1990s Godzilla vs King Ghidorah... are any of the others actually worth watching?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

All of them. Even the bad ones.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Deakul posted:

I've seen the original 1950s Godzilla a dozen times, Godzilla 2014, the original and 1990s Godzilla vs Mothra, and the 1990s Godzilla vs King Ghidorah... are any of the others actually worth watching?

Godzilla VS MechaGodzilla 1974
Terror of MechaGodzilla
Godzilla VS Hedorah
MST3K Godzilla VS Megalon
Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster
Monster Zero / Invasion of the Astro Monsters
Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla VS Destroyah
GMK/ Godzilla Mothra King GHidorah All Monsters Attack
Return of Godzilla/ Godzilla 1984
Godzilla VS MechaGodzilla II
Rodan
Mothra
King Kong VS Godzilla (Though It's Not Great)
Godzilla X MechaGodzilla
Godzilla, Mothra, MechaGodzilla Tokyo SOS
Frankenstein Conquers the World
War of the Gargantuas

For a short list in no particular order. If you liked both the original and Shin, give 1984 a shot ASAP. 1984 is basically the same movie as Shin, but every plot point and character idea zigs where Shin zags. it's kind of fascinating to compare them

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Godzilla vs Gigan was my favorite as a kid, add that to the list. Gigan is a genuinely cool looking monster, Anguirus is in it, and Godzilla talks for some reason. The bad guys are cockroach aliens whose plan to destroy the earth involves building a Godzilla themed amusement park and only the combined efforts of a Manga artist and chubby hippy can stop them.

But mainly I liked it as a kid because, like, there's totally blood in it when the monsters hit each other and that's rad.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 8, 2018

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

All of them. Even the bad ones.

This, unironically. Even the bad ones have reasons to watch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Save Final Wars for later though. Some scenes don't make much sense if you aren't familiar with Godzilla trivia.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Really, you should just buy a Spacegodzilla action figure or something instead of watching that movie. It's pretty awful.

But, if you can find the drat thing, absolutely DO watch Godzilla vs Biollante. It's in this weird sweet spot between G84's serious tone and the batshit insanity that is Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. It's loving radddd.

I hope we get revamped Ghidorah and Rodan themes since we're getting ones for the other two.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Deakul posted:

Watch the trilogy of Mothra, Godzilla x Mechagodzilla, and Tokyo SOS.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Godzilla 2000 and Tokyo SOS goji suits are so loving good looking. Shame that GMK goji looks godawful.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I really hope there’s a lot of clear wide shots of the monsters. For all of the “LOL Godzilla is hardly in the movie,” when they did show him he was usually nice and wide with very little foreground obstruction, atmospheric effects like rain, or unneeded camera shake. When you saw him you actually saw him. Even when the camera was shooting through a window or car, you still got a really good look and the editing wasn’t too frantic.

The first trailer was promising and I hope they keep it up.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
when I was a kid I got a copy of Godzilla Vs Megalon from the BIG WHEEL store on VHS, with the WTC cover, and I must've watched that one a hundred times at least. Godzilla Vs Megalon owns. Oh yeah and same with Mechagodzilla or Cosmic Monster or whatever it was called then

edit: as the same kid I thought Revenge and the one with the Lobster loving blew rear end

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Godzilla 2000 and Tokyo SOS goji suits are so loving good looking. Shame that GMK goji looks godawful.

Funny, my opinion is the reverse of this.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Godzilla vs The Sea Monster is such a weird movie that I can't help but love. It makes a ton of sense that it was supposed to be a Kong movie right up until they started production. That Mothra song near the end was super-good, too.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Paper Kaiju posted:

Funny, my opinion is the reverse of this.

GMK is the better movie (although I still like G2K well enough), but the suit is a step backwards if you ask me. The snout is really square and he's got a bad case of Walmart shopper's gunt.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

GMK is the better movie (although I still like G2K well enough), but the suit is a step backwards if you ask me. The snout is really square and he's got a bad case of Walmart shopper's gunt.

I feel like the 2000 design is the least Godzilla-like and most artificial looking design since the low point of the Showa era, personally.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I like the G2000 design, except for the fact it feels like they forgot to put padding in it to bulk it up a bit.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

That's...terrifying. There's something unsettling about something that massive moving that rapidly.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Desumaytah posted:

Godzilla vs The Sea Monster is such a weird movie that I can't help but love. It makes a ton of sense that it was supposed to be a Kong movie right up until they started production. That Mothra song near the end was super-good, too.

That's one of my very favorites. I'll recommend it for anyone wanting to get deeper into the series. The stuff with the human characters and evil cult carry the movie nicely, plus a lot of good Godzilla characterization. It would stand up without giant monsters, so adding kaiju turns it all the way up to awesome.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Red Pyramid posted:

That's...terrifying. There's something unsettling about something that massive moving that rapidly.

It looks terrifying and lethal. The way it moves is aggressive. Good cinematography too, with the lighting and mood and background.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

mllaneza posted:

That's one of my very favorites. I'll recommend it for anyone wanting to get deeper into the series. The stuff with the human characters and evil cult carry the movie nicely, plus a lot of good Godzilla characterization. It would stand up without giant monsters, so adding kaiju turns it all the way up to awesome.

It's like a 70s Bond movie with Godzilla. Which I'm now sad isn't a thing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'd argue the Showa Mechagodzillas are even more Bond-like. Also the funny thing about Godzilla, almost universally when someone mentions how bad one of the movies is, someone else will pipe in with how much the love it. Even Space Godzilla has fantastic ideas and designs in it for all of how dull it unfortunately winds up being.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So a new trailer was supposed to air this weekend at a con? Do we know when it will go public?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/MonarchSciences/status/1071761496009400320

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/colliderfrosty/status/1071786073762787330