Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're looking for an explanation for the disappearances then nope. Damon Lindelof said from the start that it won't be answered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
That's fine. It's still fascinating. And at least that can temper our expectations.

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006
deleted in case it can be considered a spoiler

franchise1 fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 30, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

franchise1 posted:

They do kind of explain what happened and where the people went, although not why it happened.

Yeah, but that information doesn't come from a particularly trustworthy source, and I think the show actually providing an explanation would undermine a lot of what it was going for in the first place.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 29, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Both of the last two posts should be deleted

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Yea just watch and enjoy The Leftovers and don’t think too much about the mystery.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, just let that poo poo be.

LOL LIKE THE THEME SONG

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
After a long day on the building site, and your balls feel like an octopus in a greenhouse. That's how i feel after watching an epsidoe of The Leftovers.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The Leftovers should come with a warning of sort not to binge it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Too late! We got through Season 2, episode 2 last night. The new setting fills us both with dread.

And after seeing her in Gone Girl, Fargo, and The Sinner, I can't get over how stellar an actress Carrie Coon is, or how gorgeous she is in this show, compared to her previous roles.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

The Little Drummer Girl is a new BBC/AMC miniseries that just caught my attention since Chan-wook Park directed it :aaaaa: anyone else watching it?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

air- posted:

The Little Drummer Girl is a new BBC/AMC miniseries that just caught my attention since Chan-wook Park directed it :aaaaa: anyone else watching it?

I thought it was pretty terrible all-around. Fairly lightweight story, and I couldn't deal with Michael Shannon's overacting (has to be one of his worst performances) and the gimmicky editing.

As meh as new seasons of Homeland have been, even they're leagues better spycraft-wise.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 1, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I don't think I like Chan Wook Park either. Seen 3 of his movies and hated them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I loved the visuals and most performances in Little Drummer Girl but I definitely found it hard work and not in a good way like The Wire or something

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I am going to watch The Rockford Files next. It is a great series but I've never seen all of it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

CeeJee posted:

The Leftovers should come with a warning of sort not to binge it.

We binged six episodes yesterday, finishing the second season. It's not a happy show or an easy one to watch, but the only one that bothered me (and it REALLY bothered me) was Season 2, episode 5, with all of Matt's never-ending trials and tribulations, culminating in him being cast out of Jarden and taking his place in the stockade. For a character who annoyed me at first, now I feel nothing but dread and doom because nothing good ever happens to him, no matter how hard he tries to be a good person and rise above.

Everything else was amazing, though.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Riverdale. Holy Smokes, Riverdale. Cheryl Blossom may be the most beautiful, perfect creature of hell I have ever seen. I am totes in straight love

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Even if not, I'm trusting it won't meander the way LOST did.

It does. Damon Lindenoff is a good world builder but loving sucks as a writer and a show runner.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think the issue with Lost is that Lindenoff cares way more about character than the mysteries. Every time Lost focuses too much on the latter it really suffers while the character stuff is usually great.

Usually.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Have you seen the Catholic leader’s house

he has his own sovereign nation

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

We binged six episodes yesterday, finishing the second season. It's not a happy show or an easy one to watch, but the only one that bothered me (and it REALLY bothered me) was Season 2, episode 5, with all of Matt's never-ending trials and tribulations, culminating in him being cast out of Jarden and taking his place in the stockade. For a character who annoyed me at first, now I feel nothing but dread and doom because nothing good ever happens to him, no matter how hard he tries to be a good person and rise above.

Everything else was amazing, though.

Oh man, Matt has an amazing episode in season 3 where maybe kinda why are you looking here, don’t spoiler this show dummy. You’ll absolutely know which ep I’m talking about when you get there. gently caress me, I’m gonna do a rewatch soon, such a great show.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

nerdman42 posted:

I think the issue with Lost is that Lindenoff cares way more about character than the mysteries. Every time Lost focuses too much on the latter it really suffers while the character stuff is usually great.

This would be an ok tradeoff if Lindenoff didn't continually attempt to write stories that are inherently mysterious or have their central plots based on mysteries. I hated what he did for Lost and then he did it again for Prometheus and again for The Leftovers.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

To be fair to Lindelof, he pretty much spelled everything out in the Prometheus script but Ridley Scott appears to have edited it way down to make it mysterious. That stuff is all on the director and editor. Also The Leftovers owns.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I am going to watch The Rockford Files next. It is a great series but I've never seen all of it.

It holds up. I started watching it a couple years back when some station was playing reruns and got through several seasons.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

You guys binged any good crime/murder mystery show? I am thinking something along the lines of Broadchurch. Murder in a small town type of stuff.

No supernatural stuff or currently airing stuff.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Ulio posted:

You guys binged any good crime/murder mystery show? I am thinking something along the lines of Broadchurch. Murder in a small town type of stuff.

Season 1 of the The Sinner is pretty great and fits that bill. Not a huge fan of season 2, though.

Also, AMC's The Killing (haven't seen the original) if you haven't watched it yet.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vernacular posted:

Season 1 of the The Sinner is pretty great and fits that bill. Not a huge fan of season 2, though.

Also, AMC's The Killing (haven't seen the original) if you haven't watched it yet.

I came into Season 1 of The Sinner in the middle and liked it fine, but I really liked Season 2, between more emphasis on Bill Pullman's character and the great Carrie Coon.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

AMC’s The Killing was one for the only shows I just stopped watching because it got so stupid. It felt like it was just TWIST AFTER TWIST with each episode building up your suspicions on a particular character. Then the start of the next episode would immediately clear that character by giving some logical explanation for all the suspicious poo poo.

That said, I did like the atmosphere and acting from the bits I did see.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ulio posted:

Cracker.

Though it's not exactly set in a "small town".

Well, Manchester.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ulio posted:

I liked the Australian Secrets and Lies. Didn't see the American one.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 8, 2018

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Ulio posted:

Joke answer:
American vandal

Serious answer:
American vandal

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Joke answer:
American vandal

Serious answer:
American vandal

:hmmyes:

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Joke answer:
American vandal

Serious answer:
American vandal

Second season really is the poo poo.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Mr Mercedes. Wasn't too sure but now that I'm a few episodes in it's pretty good.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Ulio posted:

Hamish Macbeth? Definitely fits the "small town" angle. It's tonally a lot lighter and more fun than something like Broadchurch, although I always felt it had this slightly subversive darkness to it at times (that might just be my subconscious reaction to Robert Carlyle though). It's been a while since I saw it, so I'm not sure how well it's aged.

Veronica Mars (specifically the first season) works pretty well as a small town mystery show, both the season long arc and some of the individual episode mysteries. There's teen drama thrown into the mix which means it won't be for everyone though.

And I can't not recommend Terriers when it comes to crime shows, despite it not really being small-town although it does have that feel to it at times, because it's so good it transcends location.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
S1 of American Vandal is worth watching along with someone so you can crack on it. Mild maybe spoiler. The rear end in a top hat, unlikeable antagonist is developed into a full person by the end and you almost sort of sympathize with him. But S2 felt too 'produced', like it wanted to be edgy Nickelodeon or a cheap copy of the original.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Gravy Jones posted:

Veronica Mars (specifically the first season) works pretty well as a small town mystery show, both the season long arc and some of the individual episode mysteries. There's teen drama thrown into the mix which means it won't be for everyone though.

And I can't not recommend Terriers when it comes to crime shows, despite it not really being small-town although it does have that feel to it at times, because it's so good it transcends location.
I still contend Veronica Mars and Terriers take place in the same shared universe, and Neptune is less than an hour's drive from Ocean Beach. Plus, I like to think Keith Mars and Hank Dolworth knew and respected each other as private eyes, and occasionally referred cases to each other or shared leads.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Keith mars totally looks down on unlicensed investigators

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Ulio posted:

Have you seen The Fall? It has Agent Skully as the protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Have you seen The Fall? It has Agent Skully as the protagonist.

Unfortunately, her enemy is boredom and -- spoiler warning -- she ultimately loses that battle.