Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, taking into account that anime production wrapped up almost a month ago, I hope that the last two episodes will be all the stronger for it, at least production-values-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm not sure if Trigger is handling it but wasn't there supposed to be some kind of Ultraman anime coming out next year?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I can't I can't
my girlfriend is napping
it's taking everything inside me not to howl and laugh at
the gang going to akane's dangerous perilous house, next door.
That was an absolutely incredible joke, but I can't remember if she was there all along or not. I feel like we've seen the exterior of the junk shop before and it was different, but if not that makes it ten times better.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 8, 2018

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Sindai posted:

That was an absolutely incredible joke. The show has carefully avoided showing that this entire time, right?

She mentioned it during the dream in the last episode, but I think you're right.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think they mentioned that it was close by in episode 9, and Rikka and Akane take the same bus so it makes sense that they're close by. I laughed when it turned out that they were neighbours though.

Yuuta this episode:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This show's loving great. My surprise of the year by a wide margin.

I doubt Yuta's dead, but I do hope he's out of comission for at least a solid episode here. Makes a lot of sense for the story to incapacitate Gridman for a stretch here as they truly confront Akane and her despair, an enemy that they clearly cannot overcome with any amount of giant punches or lasers. Let Rikka and Anti take point here.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 8, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm still hoping for Rikka getting to be Grid(wo)man for an episode.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I kind of hope Yuta's just dead here. It'd be a really bold direction to take things if the support cast had to solve everything without him.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

One other thing that struck me about the episode: The self-harm imagery was already pretty unsubtle by the time we had Akane throwing herself off of that crane, but I feel like it was there in a much more visceral sense when the evolved Kaiju starting rampaging and destroying the city and mutilating the maintenance Kaiju. Alexis brushing it off also feels quietly grotesque in that context. I loving love it.

Also the loving sounds today's Kaiju made, good god.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
everyone's already pointed out how good the imagery and twists in this episode are so I'll say that every fight in this episode was a banger

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i love freaky heart kaiju

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

One other thing that struck me about the episode: The self-harm imagery was already pretty unsubtle by the time we had Akane throwing herself off of that crane, but I feel like it was there in a much more visceral sense when the evolved Kaiju starting rampaging and destroying the city and mutilating the maintenance Kaiju. Alexis brushing it off also feels quietly grotesque in that context. I loving love it.

Also the loving sounds today's Kaiju made, good god.

It probably wasn't a coincidence that this was also the most Evangelion kaiju we've seen so far. It shot beams like an Angel and moved like a berserk Eva. It even had a core. All that depressive rage pouring right out.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

It probably wasn't a coincidence that this was also the most Evangelion kaiju we've seen so far. It shot beams like an Angel and moved like a berserk Eva. It even had a core. All that depressive rage pouring right out.

Not to mention that on Utsumi's classwork? 'God's in his Heaven. All's right with the world.'

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The thing that felt the most freaky and unnatural to me about the kaiju in this episode was that it didn't move at all like a dude in a suit

This show's gone through such great pains to frame stuff moving like in a toku show (just with impossible camera angles) and here's this fucker operating on cartoon logic

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Welp stuff sure did happen this episode

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm loving this show a heck of a lot and it's really surpassing my initial expectations. Glad to see Anti finally get to be free to do what he wants, but I'm sad for Akane whose own kaiju would love to be with other people instead.

Also, nthing that the sounds for that new kaiju are really great and I love how it fought. The moment it killed the cleaner kaiju I knew we were in for some poo poo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
gently caress that was so good gently caress!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Actual IRL spit-take when they walked to Akane's house ... next door.

Anti's heel-face turn could be seen from a mile away, but not transforming into another gridman.

Akane understanding that Gridman is in the computer aligns with her thinking about why it took him so long to show up in the rafting episode earlier in the episode.

It's Gridman vs Alexis at this point, for sure. Vying over Akane's internal ... stuff.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 9, 2018

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

CrashScreen posted:

I'm loving this show a heck of a lot and it's really surpassing my initial expectations. Glad to see Anti finally get to be free to do what he wants, but I'm sad for Akane whose own kaiju would love to be with other people instead.

It's sad but not surprising given almost all Akane has done has been pushing Anti away from her.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ranzear posted:

Actual IRL spit-take when they walked to Akane's house ... next door

Imagine all the times Akane has been sitting in her room complaining about Gridman and wondering how to beat them, these idiots were right next door shouting about kaiju and access flash. Like, for the entire anime all of her scenes were taking place 10 meters from Gridman.

She would have won in like episode 4 if she'd ever have opened a goddamn window.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Aye yai yai, poor shrimpy. :ohdear:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

This doesn't really seem like the type of show that's been designed with a second season in mind, given how self-contained this plot seems to be. Would love to see Trigger try their hand at another toku anime though. (Didn't they originally want to do the Ultra series?)

It's kind of up in the air at this point, depending on how things resolve. The show was way more popular than it was expected to be.

Larryb posted:

I'm not sure if Trigger is handling it but wasn't there supposed to be some kind of Ultraman anime coming out next year?

I could have sworn it was a live action netflix adaptation.

Ibblebibble posted:

I think they mentioned that it was close by in episode 9, and Rikka and Akane take the same bus so it makes sense that they're close by. I laughed when it turned out that they were neighbours though.

Maybe I'm an idiot but I thought that was mentioned at one point?

Helter Skelter posted:

She mentioned it during the dream in the last episode, but I think you're right.

I knew it! :v:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I'm not going to say this is my favourite mecha next to Evangelion but it's pretty close (nostalgia also speaking, EVA got me into anime). Definitely liked the vibes from this episode.

Those kaiju designs were some of the most disturbing ones I've seen and remind me of EVA and uhh... Muv-Luv for sure.

edit: Jesus loving Christ the first kaiju's voice sounds like a distorted version of Akane's. It probably uses the VA's voice with a heavy filter. I can't unhear it now. :gonk:

Dessel fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 9, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if we get more Gridman or at least Toku stuff if this show does well, but assuming they stick the landing I don't think I'd want another season with this specific cast. The show's been so very tightly focused on Akane and her story, and we're so obviously close to the end of that, it'd feel weird to get another season with her and Yuta and the gang.

Keep Gridman and maybe the Neon Genesis team, but give them a new storyline like Final Fantasy style.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Amazing that they could follow up on episode 9 like this.

Also, the spatial hints have been there all along, but they never deliberately drew attention to it before this episode.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
SHE loving STABBED HIM!?

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Late to the party, Anti continues to be the absolute champion. I had to outright rewind when they walked over to Akane's house, because I figured I must have missed something, but no, it was literally just a few steps over. Fantastic. Samurai Calibur having to shift out of the doorway will never get old for me either.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if we get more Gridman or at least Toku stuff if this show does well, but assuming they stick the landing I don't think I'd want another season with this specific cast. The show's been so very tightly focused on Akane and her story, and we're so obviously close to the end of that, it'd feel weird to get another season with her and Yuta and the gang.

Keep Gridman and maybe the Neon Genesis team, but give them a new storyline like Final Fantasy style.

Give me an Ultra-series anime with Namiko and Hass as the main characters! It'd be awesome. (Akane and Rikka can be those two normal friends who aren't involved in any of the sci-fi crap.)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kinda still laughing about the Journey to Akane's House

and also still reeling from that drat ending like the last third

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

Cuntellectual posted:

I could have sworn it was a live action netflix adaptation.

It's a 3D anime being directed Shinji Aramaki of 3D Appleseed so set expectations real low

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, something I forgot to mention earlier - I only really noticed this week, but in the last few seconds of the OP when the cuts are coming pretty fast and easy to miss/not think about, the last 3 cuts are:
-A quick cut of Akane's Kaiju-model-whittling/implied-self-harming/and now Yuta-stabbing knife clattering to the ground.
-Extreme closeup of Rikka holding hands with *somebody*. We can tell one hand belongs to Rikka because of her yellow scrunchy.
-Akane turning to the camera and smiling against a blue sky before Junk shuts off.

Sure feels like more hints that the show's building towards or at least wants a basically happy ending for her - which leaves me a little more certain that Yuta isn't going to die from that shank - unless he just dies bodily and is revealed to have actually been part of Gridman the whole time or something. I don't think the show would be able to give Akane a happy ending after having her cross the line of straight up murdering someone, directly, with her own hands. Especially if we assume that Yuta is a person from outside the sim/not an NPC or whatever.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

gently caress that was so good gently caress!

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't think the show would be able to give Akane a happy ending after having her cross the line of straight up murdering someone, directly, with her own hands. Especially if we assume that Yuta is a person from outside the sim/not an NPC or whatever.

I've seen Rage of Bahamut Virgin Souls. Good shows have tried to do worse. Gridman's been doing well so far though, so I hope it doesn't stoop to that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

I've seen Rage of Bahamut Virgin Souls. Good shows have tried to do worse. Gridman's been doing well so far though, so I hope it doesn't stoop to that.

Apparently, the main writer for Gridman has a history of redemption stories in his Ultra serieses.

They just tend to have more serious consequences.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

Be fair, it was clear for quite a while that Virgin Soul was headed nowhere good.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

LMAO when you can't beat the giant robot, just stab the loving pilot.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Be fair, it was clear for quite a while that Virgin Soul was headed nowhere good.

Look, I was once a very optimistic person. (I don't actually expect Gridman to go anywhere close to that far though.)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Virgin Soul was one of those rare gems, like Eureka Seven AO, that wasn't just bad but ruined the legacy of a good show as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

virgin soul was fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

galagazombie posted:

Virgin Soul was one of those rare gems, like Eureka Seven AO, that wasn't just bad but ruined the legacy of a good show as well.

Glad I fell off it so quickly now.