Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

TalonDemonKing posted:

Finished the Worm-in-waiting chain and uh....

Is it not wonderful to love, and be loved by, the Worm? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

pokie posted:

Really? The research districts seem sweet.

They make ok research hubs but your honestly better off using an upgraded research complex due to the the time, cost, and the use of two accession perks to really make them shine.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Hellioning posted:

I don't think it's a fair comparison. There are no mining stations that give food, you can get energy from trade value, and you can deal with a lack of minerals far more than you can deal with a lack of food. Robot empires don't even need to deal with food, which makes getting energy and minerals a lot easier.

Robots (at least Driven Assimilators) need both food for their cyborg pops and don't get access to the trade mechanic (so no bonus energy there, which they could use).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anybody else seen a Great Khan spawn yet? I just got one and my game is now running like poo poo. Just timed 54 seconds to run a month on normal speed.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

What are you guys building as your first building. I restarted again as a criminal space mushrooms but I don't know if I want to go for corporate culture site or hold out for another alloy foundry.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Cynic Jester posted:

God I want a tiny outliner mod. Just something to remove the sector dividers would do it. Having to scroll to keep an eye on which planets have unemployed pops is annoying as gently caress.

Open the outliner settings, turn off sectors and turn on planets.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

Open the outliner settings, turn off sectors and turn on planets.

There's no way of getting rid of planets from this part of the outliner though, now sectors aren't working like they used to. Scrolling through an enormous list planets after the midgame isn't great.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I just got into Stellaris with the latest expansion but pretty familiar with Paradox games back to EU2. I dicked around with the generic good guy humans the other day to get a hold on stuff (apparently missed out on tiles, not sorry) and it's really fun.

Compared to EU or CK just zooming in on my systems and then back up to the galaxy map, then back down to watch my loyal ships zoom around and do heroic battle is awesome. I feel really invested in my space folk. And in general it feels more Victoria-ish in that I feel a lot of progress and satisfaction whether or not I play Violent von Dicklord XIV or Comrade-Collective-Entity Unit 219596

But this leads me to my main problem: after my base human tutorial I keep dicking around in the empire builder, this poo poo is a game in itself. Space dwarves? Brainiac squidfolk? Stalinist roaches? They're all here! I just keep messing around with it, playing a bit, then going back.

Is there hope of an expansion that makes the species more distinct because I'd love that? I want gameplay choices about being a plantoid vs a humanoid. Like, if I'm plantoid, I shouldn't care about food. We have photosynthesis! As fungoid, lemme just drop some spores to gestate in a century when we come back and terraform. As arthropoid, lemme have multiple metamorphoses as pops with different effects. As reptilian, gimme benefits and drawbacks from being cold blooded. Make me choose between exoskeleton and opposable thumbs. Or, if I'm a spiritual plant, do we worship the sun or the water or the earth, or are we polytheistic? Why do I have to choose repugnant as a trait? Wouldn't humans be as repugnant to my sovroaches as they are to humans? I feel like humans and space elves should love each other but also be super racist vs space butterflies, and only hesitantly accept the space foxes as allies.

Maybe it's video game honeymoon effect but drat, combing all the different options into whatever crazy space species is so fun it deserves to have more mechanics.

I really want to see being a fungus vs being a human vs being a cat have gameplay effects instead of just being aesthetic.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 9, 2018

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Have anyone else tried to hand sectors over to the AI? I tried with a few of mine but it seems it doesn't do....anything? I have given it over 10k stockpiles and set it to Balanced.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I've seen them do something, but it was mostly building holotheatres on planets that already had loads of amenities from temples. :iiam:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Aethernet posted:

There's no way of getting rid of planets from this part of the outliner though, now sectors aren't working like they used to. Scrolling through an enormous list planets after the midgame isn't great.

There are options for hiding sectors with a focus selected I think. Has anyone tried those?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

With bugfixes, balance passes, maybe a re-think of a couple mechanics (like the loving inexcusably horrible new sector system sorry guys) 2.2 is feeling pretty good.

The main question is if they can get the AI to ever play it. I really don't understand why they've made yet another complicated system the AI really really struggles with. Glavius AI mod had the tile AI actually good but now we're back to square one. Planets with like 10 police stations because crime occurred once in the planet's history. The AI seemingly never upgrading their buildings even when sitting on some rich deposits of the associated resource.

I'm still not 100% on board with rare resources as upkeep for all the upgraded buildings. It requires a lot of juggling and re-checking your flows and it also seems like something that really trips up the AI. Maybe just make the upgraded buildings cost a lot of that resource but no ongoing upkeep? Or only have the ongoing upkeep part of the level 3 building? You get rid of the upkeep and the resources loose a lot of their value, but the current system is pretty fiddly and the AI can't figure it out.

Yeah rare resources for upgrades feels like a weird minmax deterrent.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Noir89 posted:

Have anyone else tried to hand sectors over to the AI? I tried with a few of mine but it seems it doesn't do....anything? I have given it over 10k stockpiles and set it to Balanced.
They do well enough in my experience. They tend to build a balanced proportion of research, manufacturing, resources. But they don't seem to upgrade -- which may be the problem you're having? This sort of makes sense given how swingy the economy can be. But it definitely increases micromanagement.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ms Adequate posted:

Is it not wonderful to love, and be loved by, the Worm? :allears:

I love the worm

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

frogge posted:

minmax deterrent.

This is it. This is what I think is going on with this expansion. I think I'm a still a fan two days in .

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Zane posted:

They do well enough in my experience. They tend to build a balanced proportion of research, manufacturing, resources. But they don't seem to upgrade -- which may be the problem you're having? This sort of makes sense given how swingy the economy can be. But it definitely increases micromanagement.

It was captured planets from enemies. At first I thought it was because I am a Devouring Swarm and the planets had loads of empty jobs and districts after eating everyone. But then I colonized a new planet in the same sector and now, a while later, 11 Scavenger pops, no buildings or districts built. :v:

I guess technicaly, the scavengers ARE working but uuuuh.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm not too pushed about the extra slots (though that may change) and that production window is a mess but holy hell does that draw attention to how inefficiently the original is using its space.
Seriously why is trade value taking up like 10% of the screen.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 9, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

If you're playing as a criminal megacorp, I highly recommend being a fanatic xenophile. You get +20 relations with most people which makes up for most of the -25 from being criminal. You also get -50% diplomacy costs, so doing things like guaranteeing independence is pretty cheap and lets you build a lot of trust. I'm at +58 trust with a guy who doesn't match my ethos that I have border friction with, after running a branch office on his place for a while.

Hot Dog Day #42
Jun 17, 2001

Egbert B. Gebstadter
Rare resources being required for upgrades is a great idea, because without it you're back to "mash all the yellow arrows" as a no-brainer busywork decision.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Splicer posted:

I'm not too pushed about the extra slots (though that may change) and that production window is a mess but holy hell does that draw attention to how inefficiently the original is using its space.

Seriously why is trade value taking up like 10% of the screen.

I'll be honest, I prefer the current one. Especially when I'm not familiar with everything, having it all mashed together doesn't help.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Tried a reinstall just to be sure, but still same issue with the sector AI:

liveoctopus
Oct 18, 2005

I think trade value is meant to be like base tax/development in other Paradox games, as in it's an at-a-glance measure of how developed a colony is. And it does work pretty decently for that, so it makes sense to emphasize it. But yeah the new planet UIs need some help. I guess I'm used to it by now, but I remember my first look at the new planet development system was a "what the holy hell am I even looking at?" moment in a way that the tile system was not. Even now I have to squint at stuff like the haphazard list of what the planet is producing/consuming.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I'll tell you what, King Lemming terraforming mods can't come out soon enough. It's depressing to get only a handful of planets before you get boxed in by other empires with no real way of expanding other than through habitats.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Back Hack posted:

I'll tell you what, King Lemming terraforming mods can't come out soon enough. It's depressing to get only a handful of planets before you get boxed in by other empires with no real way of expanding other than through habitats.

Have you tried beating up people and taking their stuff?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Where does the tech to actually USE Volatile Mote Extractors come from? I have a rare deposit on a planet, but no notion of how to even begin to take advantage.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ZypherIM posted:

I'll be honest, I prefer the current one. Especially when I'm not familiar with everything, having it all mashed together doesn't help.
Oh the linked one is a hot mess in many ways but that loving trade value sitting in prime mid screen real estate of the vanilla is just :psyduck: and you have to hurl your eyes to like four parts of the screen to get a basic outline of a planet. Seriously it's heinous.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 9, 2018

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Things I dont like:

The removal of the research point production on the main resource bar.

Things that bewilder me:

Amenities? What are they?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I need a button that says "move all unemployed pops here" because jesus christ I'm doing that a lot.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Do planetary classes still mean anything in terms of resource generation?

wiegieman posted:

I need a button that says "move all unemployed pops here" because jesus christ I'm doing that a lot.

:same:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

Have you tried beating up people and taking their stuff?

I would normal, but the AI makes a bee-line for defensive pacts and federation in my games, so before 50 years have gone by, the entire galaxy been carved up into powerblocks already. :v:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Wasn't it changed in 2.2 that you can use a race you have a migration treaty with to colonize planets in your empire? Got a migration treaty with a Tundra preference fungus, but my main (continental) race is the only option to colonize.

liveoctopus
Oct 18, 2005

Gaj posted:

Things I dont like:

Agreed. In every way, this version really wants to treat research points as a single unified pool but it shied away from taking that final step.

Gaj posted:

Things that bewilder me:

They are a number that needs to be above zero on each of your planets in order to keep everybody happy. Produced primarily by housing districts and also buildings like holo-theaters. Edit to add: They're also not pooled across your empire like most other resources. Each planet needs its own sources.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Where does the tech to actually USE Volatile Mote Extractors come from? I have a rare deposit on a planet, but no notion of how to even begin to take advantage.
the extraction techs are pretty late in the tree. they are typically subsequent to: 1) the first tier of upgrade buildings that require them; and 2) a 'synthetic' tech that converts minerals into the equivalent resource.

more generally: the 2.2 research trajectory feels like it has a very different tempo. for the first 100 years research is much slower. then you hit a breakpoint with research facilities at around 2300 and zoom through dozens of techs.

Zane fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 9, 2018

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

ZypherIM posted:

If you're playing as a criminal megacorp, I highly recommend being a fanatic xenophile. You get +20 relations with most people which makes up for most of the -25 from being criminal. You also get -50% diplomacy costs, so doing things like guaranteeing independence is pretty cheap and lets you build a lot of trust. I'm at +58 trust with a guy who doesn't match my ethos that I have border friction with, after running a branch office on his place for a while.

considering what "guaranteeing independence" is, you're literally running a protection racket

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Also, god drat I hate that Repugnant isn't just a diplomatic malus now, thems were some good free trait points.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zane posted:

the extraction techs are pretty late in the tree. they are typically subsequent to: 1) the first tier of upgrade buildings that require them; and 2) a 'synthetic' tech that converts minerals into the equivalent resource.

more generally: the 2.2 research trajectory feels like it has a very different tempo. for the first 100 years research is much slower. then you hit a breakpoint with research facilities at around 2300 and zoom through dozens of them.
I actually feel like the game tempo is faster now, at least for me. Like even leaving aside pop numbers I've usually gotten up to 100 pops and 4-6 planets by the time I quit due to the squirrel effect, and it's usually not been much past 2250.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

turn off the TV posted:

In my experience they don't mind going over too much.

"Please stop self-actualizing" is a wonderful euphemism. :fap:

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 9, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Amenities keep your populace happy and productive. Insufficient amenities causes hefty penalties to stability and can cause all sorts of negative events. Extra amenities provides a boost to happiness and stability, increasing productivity.

canepazzo posted:

Wasn't it changed in 2.2 that you can use a race you have a migration treaty with to colonize planets in your empire? Got a migration treaty with a Tundra preference fungus, but my main (continental) race is the only option to colonize.

For some reason it doesnt show up with the Colonize button. But you can still manually build the colony ship at your shipyard.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ahhh gently caress I accidentally kept the stupid rudimentary robots on the one world as a hive mind and now I have 2 pops of robot that I'm apparently somehow keeping as livestock and everyone has a malus on me for it but I literally cannot change their rights to disassemble them or whatever because I can't have robots

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Gaj posted:

Things I dont like:

Things that bewilder me:

Research points are still on the main resource bar though? Just to the right of your unity, there is a microscope of your total research. Hover over it and you get a breakdown of per-type of research.

Amenities are like.. fancy watches and starbucks and royal parades and poo poo that make your dudes happy. Increasing your guy's happiness does things like decreasing their crime rate and increases the planet's stability (which improves worker job production, trade value, and immigration pull). I'm not sure if super high happiness gives a general bonus still or not, but it might.