Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
not from that thread

quote:

Everything Musk does is with the end-goal of establishing persistent human presence on Mars. That's why tunnels are important (any base will most likely be underground), that's why electric vehicles are important (lots of freely available solar power), that's why reusable rockets are important (need a way to get there and back cheaply and reliably). Obviously each of these is only a small part of the big picture, but it's still a crucial part. And yes, while some of those applications will start out benefiting the rich, it turns out that is a great way to fund new technology, as we are seeing with Tesla.

You may find the entire idea of a Mars colony stupid. You might say it's the crazy dumb fantasy of a manchild. That's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinions. But I for one am glad there is at least one person who is working on ambitious "moonshot" ideas and doing so in a very public and visible way, instead of sitting on his yacht and scheming about new ways to extract more wealth from the poor like most other ultra rich do.

At the end of the day, you gotta ask yourself: why the gently caress do you care so much about what Musk does? Almost none of it affects you directly, and surely there are much better sources of entertainment than watching him trip and stumble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

not from that thread
Uh, where is it from?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

i’m looking forward to musks new biodome. I don’t think steve baldwin’s doing anything of import lately

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mystes posted:

Uh, where is it from?

the dungeons and dragons tech nightmare thread.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yoink

Lote posted:

https://twitter.com/iwaszerocool1/status/1071566688770961408

This doesn’t look good. Also they’re storing them outside in the winter without chargers. That’s gonna kill the battery.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eh, it's a storage lot. it's not like it's a secret any more that they have inventory.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
drat. still can’t find a parking spot at fuddruckers.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

he’s still ceo of a billion dollar corporation which is pretty funny if the corruption and decline of capitalism is your thing

capitalism is working exactly as designed, the problem is that it’s ill suited for our reality

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

El_Elegante posted:

capitalism is working exactly as designed, the problem is that it’s ill suited for our reality

yeah but fortunately musk doesn't live in ours so it will all work out fine for him

on mars

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
the inevitable next step after capitalism finishes with our planet

this all makes sense to him

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

President Beep posted:

my grandma once very unintentionally called them ruddfuckers

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
has elon not read ksr or what, mars is boring as gently caress and you'd be an idiot to want to go there

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FUDruckers

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

has elon not read ksr or what, mars is boring as gently caress and you'd be an idiot to want to go there

he is from a rock loving people

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

FAUXTON posted:

FUDruckers

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's fines

but seriously, it's like the shittiest desert on earth and also antarctica but without the benefit of a breathable atmosphere. i don't see elon building a sustainable dome city out the middle of the fuckin gobi, something that would at least be useful towards his claimed goal of getting humans to mars

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

President Beep posted:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Their idea is to move heavy industry in to space where they can spew pollutants to their hearts content and ship the processed materials back to earth for finishing/assembly. I think they want Mars as a lower-gravity staging area but the whole thing smacks of throwing in the towel on climate change here

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah but if you get there first you might end up an immortal sex weirdo

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

infernal machines posted:

not from that thread

lmao

"you might say it's the crazy dumb fantasy of a manchild, but I for one am glad that someone is working on those instead of solving world hunger or curing deadly diseases"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

FCKGW posted:

this is my favorite pothole video. bunch of jersey guys just delighted these cars are getting hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDSXYrbl8Zg

you'd think someone would be kind enough to install a vlc media player next to that hole.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

lmao

"you might say it's the crazy dumb fantasy of a manchild, but I for one am glad that someone is working on those instead of solving world hunger or curing deadly diseases"

tbf, it's elon musk, he was also not going to be doing either of those theings

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Main Paineframe posted:

lmao

i mean are you seriously arguing that strapping rich white men to rockets and firing them towards an uninhabitable desert from which they will never be able to return is not going to improve life on earth?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Their idea is to move heavy industry in to space where they can spew pollutants to their hearts content and ship the processed materials back to earth for finishing/assembly. I think they want Mars as a lower-gravity staging area but the whole thing smacks of throwing in the towel on climate change here

see that’s what i dont get though. even if the most cynical and apocalyptic climate scenarios come to be reality it’d still be preferable to living on mars. i don’t think people realize how intensely inhospitable to life the universe is outside of earth

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

see that’s what i dont get though. even if the most cynical and apocalyptic climate scenarios come to be reality it’d still be preferable to living on mars. i don’t think people realize how intensely inhospitable to life the universe is outside of earth

even if we made earth completely uninhabitable, it would still be orders of magnitude easier to terraform this planet back to life than to start from scratch on mars

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

:psyduck:

i'm the multi-year-long interplanetary supply chain for fidget spinners, i guess

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

:psyduck:

i'm the multi-year-long interplanetary supply chain for fidget spinners, i guess

I remember being surprised to see dumbbell weights stamped as made in China but made in Mars is gonna be awesome.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
going to mars is significantly dumber than going to the moon

both are environments actively trying to kill you, but one has less gravity, significantly more sun, and is days instead of months away

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Slippery Tilde
under martian law, doctors and other wizards are forbidden

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
what about conans?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
sir phobos, go beat some rear end

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Soricidus posted:

i mean are you seriously arguing that strapping rich white men to rockets and firing them towards an uninhabitable desert from which they will never be able to return is not going to improve life on earth?

as long as their wealth managers are still on earth nothing significant will change

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i can't pay no doctor bills,
and whitey's on utopia planitia

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
utopia planeta alba

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
lmao

https://mobile.twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1071921788035190784

watery eyes as he rants about how no one can stop his tweets because first amendment, and how he's just going to ignore the SEC settlement and just blame any violations on "nobody's perfect" and "mistakes happen"

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Main Paineframe posted:

lmao

https://mobile.twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1071921788035190784

watery eyes as he rants about how no one can stop his tweets because first amendment, and how he's just going to ignore the SEC settlement and just blame any violations on "nobody's perfect" and "mistakes happen"

leslie stahl owns

elon musk is a tool

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

shave your lovely face pubes before you go on 60 minutes you gross idiot

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

he’s too busy working 37 hours a day from his couch in the giggle factory or something

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1071845439140327424

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i mean it's a far cry from driving across america but... oh wait, it can't do this either