Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Can megacorps not build branch offices in their subsidiaries or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shugojin posted:

Ahhh gently caress I accidentally kept the stupid rudimentary robots on the one world as a hive mind and now I have 2 pops of robot that I'm apparently somehow keeping as livestock and everyone has a malus on me for it but I literally cannot change their rights to disassemble them or whatever because I can't have robots

:rip:
That's what you get for attempting robo abortion

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Shugojin posted:

Ahhh gently caress I accidentally kept the stupid rudimentary robots on the one world as a hive mind and now I have 2 pops of robot that I'm apparently somehow keeping as livestock and everyone has a malus on me for it but I literally cannot change their rights to disassemble them or whatever because I can't have robots

How does one even eat robot livestock.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Tried modding the sector_focuses file for district_city to a factor of 100 when free_housing < 0 but whelp, AI still don't think a planet with -10 housing needs more city districts :v:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
So any mods for a yellow briefcase yet? I want to know when my planets are jobs=pops instead of just when jobs<pops.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
It'd also be nice if you got that icon when you have scavengers as a hive mind. 1 mineral doesn't count as a job, game.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Latest minor bug: the "sort by power" in the Contacts screen doesn't always work (ie it goes Equiv, Inferior, Equiv, Equiv, Inferior etc rather than all Equivs then all Inferiors)

ZypherIM posted:

Well later on it is 30 admin cap worth of penalties (megacorps get 50% worse penalties, so worth 45 of a normal empire). Each size is 0.3 tech, 0.5 unity, 1 campaign/leader/leader upkeep. So it is -9% tech costs, -15% unity, -30% campaign/leader/leader upkeep. So once you've grown to benefit from it it is stronger than several of the other perks IMO.

This isn't actually the case unless you go from 30 above to exactly on cap; eg, if you're 200 above the cap, tech costs 60% more - that -30 isn't 9% off actual tech costs, it's 9/1.6 = 3.75% off tech costs and similar for the others. It's one that, somewhat counterintuitively, gets worse the bigger your empire is.

TalonDemonKing posted:

Is it just me or are the techs to use the space resources (Motes/Gas/Crystals) locked behind the buildings that require it?

That seems kinda backwards

They are not (as it happens I just drew both rare crystal cards in the same go, which is a pretty good demonstration :v: )

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Shugojin posted:

This exact thing happened to me but it turns out you can sell them as slaves once you have access to the slave market .

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Also yeah it was extremely stupid that I was getting a diplomatic malus for eating my robots

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This isn't actually the case unless you go from 30 above to exactly on cap; eg, if you're 200 above the cap, tech costs 60% more - that -30 isn't 9% off actual tech costs, it's 9/1.6 = 3.75% off tech costs and similar for the others. It's one that, somewhat counterintuitively, gets worse the bigger your empire is.

The thing is, all bonuses in this game are additive. So if you want to get technical, the +10% research doesn't give you +10% to your total research, because you've already got +12% from scientist skill and +5% from a tech and +15% from his specialty. So for stuff like this you don't need to break it down like that, because your other options also work additively.

edit: My leader lost re-election, then went to form a xenophobe faction (I'm fanatic xenophile).

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 9, 2018

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Seems I found out why my sector AI is bugged to hell as a hivemind! In the files, a normal empires city district is called district_city, while a hiveminds is called district_hive. Incidently, district_hive does not even exist in the sector AI focus weight file, so it basically do not even know it exists. Added the following code to it:

code:
	district = {
		key = district_hive
		weight = {
			weight = 1
			modifier = {
				factor = 5
				free_housing < 0
			}

# Let's not go full spam on this.
			modifier = {
				factor = 0
				free_housing >= 0
			}
		}
	} 
And it instantly started to build a hive district. You might want to take a look at that Wiz :)

Edit: Yeah it seems that Scavenger Jobs just completly breaks the sector AI, it only checks for unemployed jobs:

code:
 #############
# BALANCED FOCUS
#############

balanced = {

ai_weight = {
		weight = 100
	}

district = {
		key = district_generator
		weight = {
			weight = 1
			modifier = 
			{
				factor = 3
				owner = { 
					has_monthly_income = {
						resource = energy
						value < 8
					}
				}
			}

modifier = {
				factor = 2
				free_housing < 0
			}

modifier = {
				factor = 3
				any_owned_pop = { is_unemployed = yes }
			}

# No one to work it anyway
			modifier = {
				factor = 0
				NOT = {
				}
			}
		}
	}
This is......wow. :psyduck:

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 9, 2018

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I really like this mod, makes the new interface much easier on the eyes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Noir89 posted:

This is......wow. :psyduck:

I'm not surprised Scavenger jobs gently caress everything up. I'm also really surprised they didn't just rename Unemployed for Hive Minds.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ZypherIM posted:

The thing is, all bonuses in this game are additive. So if you want to get technical, the +10% research doesn't give you +10% to your total research, because you've already got +12% from scientist skill and +5% from a tech and +15% from his specialty. So for stuff like this you don't need to break it down like that, because your other options also work additively.

Agreed that it's just plain better than the Tech Ascendancy.

ZypherIM posted:

edit: My leader lost re-election, then went to form a xenophobe faction (I'm fanatic xenophile).

gently caress YOU GUYS :mad:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm not surprised Scavenger jobs gently caress everything up. I'm also really surprised they didn't just rename Unemployed for Hive Minds.

I did kinda manage to find a solution! This fixes it:

code:
			modifier = {
				factor = 3
				any_owned_pop = { scavenger_drone = yes }
			} 
But only if I remove this:

code:
			# No one to work it anyway
			modifier = {
				factor = 0
				NOT = {
				}
			} 
So it might break sector AI completly. If it does, it basically needs to be completly redesigned, something I won't do tonight at least! :v:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Agreed that it's just plain better than the Tech Ascendancy.

gently caress YOU GUYS :mad:

It also blows the unity ascension out of the water. I hope they make a pass on the anemic ascension perks and make them interesting now that we have some perks that blow them out of the water and are more interesting in how they do it (consecrated worlds is basically always better than the unity perk along with getting some other bonuses - its pretty good even if they nerf chances for good rolls).

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

This mod also seems pretty good for people to learn how to grasp the new economy.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Haven’t touched the manual job “prioritization” thing. As others have noted, it’s way too fiddly and easy to forget “oh I disabled a couple clerk jobs on planet 14 years ago so they would work the mines, gotta fix that”. I think it’d be more intuitive for each job type within a strata to have a prioritization, maybe? I dunno, but that’s a micromanagey element of 2.2 I’m straight up ignoring right now.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

escalator dropdown posted:

Haven’t touched the manual job “prioritization” thing. As others have noted, it’s way too fiddly and easy to forget “oh I disabled a couple clerk jobs on planet 14 years ago so they would work the mines, gotta fix that”. I think it’d be more intuitive for each job type within a strata to have a prioritization, maybe? I dunno, but that’s a micromanagey element of 2.2 I’m straight up ignoring right now.

When you disable jobs the pops working them immediately move, but if you re-enable them again without even clicking away the jobs will stay empty unless your pops have a good reason to prioritize (like Industrious).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I've tried four different games with different empire types, and consistently about 23-25 years in the game slows to an absolute crawl. Fastest speed goes from a couple of days per second to a couple of seconds per day. And this is with a medium size galaxy too, so it's not even anything crazy.

It's literally unplayable once it gets to that point, as the entire game completely locks up for those 5+ seconds per day. If I pause the game everything is as smooth as it normally is, but if I try to advance time it ends up being impossible to do anything.

There are a lot of things that are fun about the 2.2 patch, but this is not one of them.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Can megacorps not build branch offices in their subsidiaries or am I missing something?
Not in my experience. You can only build branch offices in empires that a) are part of your federation, or b) have a commercial pact with you, which requires they be independent. Honestly, if they just remove that requirement, I'd be happy; of course I should be able to trade with my subjects, and possibly even other people's subjects.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

escalator dropdown posted:

I honestly haven't had a big problem with people running off to other jobs and screwing me, mostly because I don't drop an extra pile of jobs on a planet. I'm pretty sure there is a priority that tries to balance out or not overcommit in the worker strata, but as long as you don't flood a ton of jobs you can probably just let it smooth itself out and maybe trade some stuff on the market.

Also Wiz posted that they're working on the UI to show outputs and stuff on job creations. So like it'll say "2 metallurgist jobs, base production: 6 alloy, base upkeep: 12 minerals".

darthbob88 posted:

Not in my experience. You can only build branch offices in empires that a) are part of your federation, or b) have a commercial pact with you, which requires they be independent. Honestly, if they just remove that requirement, I'd be happy; of course I should be able to trade with my subjects, and possibly even other people's subjects.

You probably can't do that because it'd be easy as gently caress to abuse. Take over a guy with 6 systems? Spin each one off into a vassal with your ethos and build 6 branch offices.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

ZypherIM posted:

You probably can't do that because it'd be easy as gently caress to abuse. Take over a guy with 6 systems? Spin each one off into a vassal with your ethos and build 6 branch offices.

You can already build a branch on every planet of an empire you have a commerce agreement with though

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Demiurge4 posted:

So Nihilistic Acquisition is a downright amazing starting perk now if you use slaves and start near a pre-ftl planet.

These are my demographics 62 years into the game after starting next to two primitive planets and conquering one that was a late space age that managed to get to space before I got around to them. I have 4 planets.

Could you post your species/govt setup?

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

ZypherIM posted:

I honestly haven't had a big problem with people running off to other jobs and screwing me, mostly because I don't drop an extra pile of jobs on a planet. I'm pretty sure there is a priority that tries to balance out or not overcommit in the worker strata, but as long as you don't flood a ton of jobs you can probably just let it smooth itself out and maybe trade some stuff on the market.

Yeah, exactly. I've been managing job assignment at the "deciding when and what buildings/districts to build" level, and it works well enough. It certainly works well enough that I have zero desire to muck about with the manual job prioritization. But I can imagine using it if it were better designed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Another display bug: you can have more than 15 E/M/F districts, but the interface only shows 15 at most.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

ZypherIM posted:

Or just colonize a bunch of poo poo and spin them off as vassals. On the other hand, commercial pacts cost influence, which is enough to dissuade me from making all the pacts all the time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's something about destroying your own mining station just to rebuild them to achieve my current democratic mandate that feels totally right.
I can totally see that being a thing in real life.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I got a human fallen empire that spawned right next to me :negative:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Having terrible luck as materialist in a universe where the great khan exists.

The materialist faction gets -20% penalty for "dull edge" if any normal empire eclipses you in technology. Obviously late game threats and fallen empires and the khans don't count. The problem is that when the great Khan dies there's a decent chance they just keep all their gains and switch to being flagged as a "normal empire" except with nearly fallen-empire levels of technology. This instantly makes every materialist faction in the galaxy tank their happiness as they get tech-envy for this power they previously knew better than to compare them selves with.

Can anyone think of a way I can get around this in an ongoing game? edit/mod something in the way the materialist faction compares to other empires to add a special case for successor khanates?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Mazz posted:

The problem is that you basically linearly scale up your resource drains as you do your additions in a lot of cases

I like the new system a lot, but three hours into my first game and keep finding this to be the case. I want to start specializing my planets, but before I can build a new flux capacitor factory I see that this planet is running low on amenities, so I build an amenity whatsit and the next few pops work there. Then I get back to the planet later but there aren't any building slots open for a new flux capacitor factory, and it's starting to run low on housing, so fine, here comes a city district. Which is great but now by the time that fills up and I've got a new slot something else is running low, and decades later when I finally have no pressing needs AND an open slot, it turns out I only get 4 flux capacitors a month, which isn't really a meaningful increase. I'd love to build another factory so I could get 8/month, I guess, but now amenities are low again, or the science building on some other planet is hogging all the consumer goods and now I need more of those instead, or...

Maybe as the game progresses more pops and planets and tech will help, but so far it seems like each new working pop produces only 1% more than they consume, which doesn't leave you with a lot of room to pursue your goals.

Also not a huge fan of requiring rare resources not just for the construction of advanced buildings but their upkeep as well. Maybe I just have to abandon my space juche ideals, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baronjutter posted:

Having terrible luck as materialist in a universe where the great khan exists.

The materialist faction gets -20% penalty for "dull edge" if any normal empire eclipses you in technology. Obviously late game threats and fallen empires and the khans don't count. The problem is that when the great Khan dies there's a decent chance they just keep all their gains and switch to being flagged as a "normal empire" except with nearly fallen-empire levels of technology. This instantly makes every materialist faction in the galaxy tank their happiness as they get tech-envy for this power they previously knew better than to compare them selves with.

Can anyone think of a way I can get around this in an ongoing game? edit/mod something in the way the materialist faction compares to other empires to add a special case for successor khanates?
I'm imagining all the materialist blorg pops suddenly equipping their khantanas and talking about the superior nature of horde video programs.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Two questions about trade:

1. What do I have to do to actually increase trade value in a system? I know clerks produce some, what else does?

and

2. If I have a starbase with trade collection radius, will is pull trade from any system, even ones outside my borders? What about inside federation ally borders?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

I like the new system a lot, but three hours into my first game and keep finding this to be the case. I want to start specializing my planets, but before I can build a new flux capacitor factory I see that this planet is running low on amenities, so I build an amenity whatsit and the next few pops work there. Then I get back to the planet later but there aren't any building slots open for a new flux capacitor factory, and it's starting to run low on housing, so fine, here comes a city district. Which is great but now by the time that fills up and I've got a new slot something else is running low, and decades later when I finally have no pressing needs AND an open slot, it turns out I only get 4 flux capacitors a month, which isn't really a meaningful increase. I'd love to build another factory so I could get 8/month, I guess, but now amenities are low again, or the science building on some other planet is hogging all the consumer goods and now I need more of those instead, or...

Maybe as the game progresses more pops and planets and tech will help, but so far it seems like each new working pop produces only 1% more than they consume, which doesn't leave you with a lot of room to pursue your goals.

Also not a huge fan of requiring rare resources not just for the construction of advanced buildings but their upkeep as well. Maybe I just have to abandon my space juche ideals, though.
my intuition is that it is safer and more efficient to ensure high surpluses in primary goods (minerals and energy) than it is to play fast and loose with them and to have to make up for unexpected shortfalls on the market later on. this means a healthy privileging of resource extractors over factories. this, in turn, means many fully developed resource planets actually keep their passive 'rural' specialization, even after they have four or five upgraded factories on them.

i do nonetheless tend to develop specialized manufacturing planets.. but for early game this is more for organizational purposes than it is for mechanical benefits. the 'flux capacitor' factory i think you're referring to is probably ultimately worth stacking up for.. i think it's a 15% total bonus to all factory-related production?

the one early game planet specialization that pays off very early is research--ideally on a world with low resources--because research assist is now a base ability.

Zane fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 9, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I may be wrong, but Habitats kiiiiind of look like hot garbage.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Trade routes will only collect trade value inside systems you control. I'm genuinely unsure if it'll collect from systems you control that are non-adjacent to your empire (like if another empire snatched the system in between during a war or something).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok so this is way beyond what I can mod, but here's the materialist faction demands regarding technology compared to others. I think I'm understanding the script here to be saying to compare any "default" class empire you have communications with, is not primitives, and is not a vassal is compared to your country in the category of technology with equivalent being neutral and anything above giving the bonus and behind giving the penalty. The problem being that the "successor" great khan result becomes flaged as a "default" empire.

demand = {
title = "TECHNOLOGIST_TECH_LEAP"
unfulfilled_title = "TECHNOLOGIST_TECH_LAG"
desc = "TECHNOLOGIST_TECH_LEAP_DESC"

fulfilled_effect = 10
unfulfilled_effect = -20

potential = {
exists = owner
owner = {
any_relation = {
has_communications = root.owner
is_country_type = default
}
NOR = {
has_country_flag = primitives_can_into_space
is_subject = yes
}
}
}

trigger = {
owner = {
NOT = {
any_relation = {
has_communications = root.owner
is_country_type = default
relative_power = {
who = root.owner
category = technology
value > equivalent
}
}
}
}
}
}

And here is an example successor khanate

It has a custom description and a special civic. Would there be any way in the above faction code to add a check to omit a country that has this special civic or special "successor khanate" government type?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

People posting screenshots in this thread, and to my horror so many people use the default planet names

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Shugojin posted:

Lmao, that rules. Why is anyone still playing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

wiegieman posted:

I may be wrong, but Habitats kiiiiind of look like hot garbage.

They need more district space or unique buildings or something, I've tried spamming them like before and they are baaaad in comparison to other things you could do with the resources it takes to build them