Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Skippy McPants posted:

Picture is out of date, Mr. Ice has since made considerable gains in both ink and swole.

Mr. Cool Ice is blessed because he's a customized video game character come to life.

He's shameless and is living his best life.

But I bet he's a Nazi because that's the world, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

chitoryu12 posted:

In his defense, Umbridge's version of "writing lines" involved forcing him to carve the words into his own hand until it left scars that can't even magically be healed. I wouldn't really have much sympathy for her if I was in his place.

yeah she legitimately physically abused children and did so with fiendish glee, relishing each bit of pain like a creepy sadist, leaving Harry with a literal scar which will never heal. I guess we could all be upset that he didn't heal her heart using his magicks and then we all learn everyone's really good in the end and have a good laugh as the credits roll, but that would be bullshit.

like someone else said, the point is, crush fascists. yes it's the hero's cycle blah blah blah but HP was made specifically to be about a supremacist and fascist regime returning in current modern times and the need to fight against adults (rather than obey them), and as such is particularly effective at inspiring kids right here and right now

getting stuck on that one in all the weird hosed up HP poo poo is a strange choice. if we want to start pulling poo poo apart, we could start with how everyone seems ok sending their kids to Murder Castle for their wizard education....

EDIT: I mean seriously after that troll in the bathroom in book 1, that should have been it, the school shoulda closed

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 09:49 on Dec 9, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dude, American schools are getting shot up every week and sometimes they don't even close for the rest of the day.

No way an ancient magic academy is gonna close because some dumb forest bumpkin got lost in the bathrooms.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah but knife crime island isn't used to that! or is it some sort of social Darwinism, something like if your kid dies welp, guess they weren't meant to be a wizard ethos?

bc Hogwarts is as dangerous to its own students as it is to its enemies. for some reason we question why harry led umbridge to the centaurs, but don't seem to ask why the hell a school full of dumb teens is right next to a forest of easily angered violent horsemen with a homicidal streak

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 09:47 on Dec 9, 2018

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

If you haven't seen him from the back, it is a Treat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
im wearing a Mr. Cool Ice longsleeve shirt as I make this post.

Just like this one but medium not XXL

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Inzombiac posted:

Dude, American schools are getting shot up every week and sometimes they don't even close for the rest of the day.

No way an ancient magic academy is gonna close because some dumb forest bumpkin got lost in the bathrooms.

They stay open after a shooting, but man, they shut that poo poo down if there’s even the threat of snow in the air.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Sponge Baathist posted:

Where would one find such a shirt? I still got some holiday shopping to finish.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeah she legitimately physically abused children and did so with fiendish glee, relishing each bit of pain like a creepy sadist, leaving Harry with a literal scar which will never heal. I guess we could all be upset that he didn't heal her heart using his magicks and then we all learn everyone's really good in the end and have a good laugh as the credits roll, but that would be bullshit.

like someone else said, the point is, crush fascists. yes it's the hero's cycle blah blah blah but HP was made specifically to be about a supremacist and fascist regime returning in current modern times and the need to fight against adults (rather than obey them), and as such is particularly effective at inspiring kids right here and right now

getting stuck on that one in all the weird hosed up HP poo poo is a strange choice. if we want to start pulling poo poo apart, we could start with how everyone seems ok sending their kids to Murder Castle for their wizard education....

EDIT: I mean seriously after that troll in the bathroom in book 1, that should have been it, the school shoulda closed

for the love of god read another loving book

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Like the twelve rules for life

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

T-man posted:

I'm sorry friend, but I'm not into Twilight. Godspeed on your journey.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Picture is out of date, Mr. Ice has since made considerable gains in both ink and swole.

I had always just assumed that mr cool ice was Russian, but the buildings in the background are throwing me off

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I was gonna say I was Mr. Cool Ice's biggest fan, but that picture makes that demonstrably untrue.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was gonna say I was Mr. Cool Ice's biggest fan, but that picture makes that demonstrably untrue.

:lol: same

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sponge Baathist posted:

OWNS BONES!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Oh my god I never noticed the cluster of 9 small skulls that also spell out mr cool ice. Outstanding

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Holy poo poo, he's kept going!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
This man does not own shirts

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I've got a barrel chest like that guy. I also lost a bunch of weight, but there's no changing the shape of your bones. Doomed to wearing 2xl shirts that are tight around the tits but billowing down below. Curse of the oddbody.

Athletic fit shirts my dude. I was in the same boat re:shoulders/chest to waist/hips ratio, until I found a girlfriend with a sense of style who asked me why the shirts I wore fit my shoulders and had an extra foot at the waist.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I feel like Harry Potter wizards have a totally different sense of morality and injury from non-magical folk. Horrific injuries and diseases that would baffle and terrify us (like having all the bones in your arm accidentally deleted) can be cured with a bottle of medicine and some bed rest, and if someone gets cuts or bruises you just wave a wand and they're back to normal.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Were I him, I'd go around ripping the heads off of ICE agents for making me look bad. It's my gut instinct that someone with tattoos that silly and garish can't have any meaningful quantity of hatred in their heart. :shobon:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

hawowanlawow posted:

I had always just assumed that mr cool ice was Russian, but the buildings in the background are throwing me off

He’s from Mainz, Germany.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tubgoat posted:

Were I him, I'd go around ripping the heads off of ICE agents for making me look bad. It's my gut instinct that someone with tattoos that silly and garish can't have any meaningful quantity of hatred in their heart. :shobon:

I was a big fan of the "Mr Abolish ICE" shops

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

beanieson posted:

This man does not own shirts

This man does not need shirts.

T-man posted:

You watch anime and have a Steven Universe avatar, you're in the same cauldron of despair as the rest of us! Wallow and writhe!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

LadyPictureShow posted:

Holy poo poo, he's kept going!

Love this man.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I did not mean to disparage Mr. Cool Ice--I wasn't providing him as content for the AUG, just pointing out that the widebody guy had a Cool Ice-esque skull tattoo on his arm. Mr. Cool Ice seems like an ok dude and I can't hate on that.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

chitoryu12 posted:

I feel like Harry Potter wizards have a totally different sense of morality and injury from non-magical folk. Horrific injuries and diseases that would baffle and terrify us (like having all the bones in your arm accidentally deleted) can be cured with a bottle of medicine and some bed rest, and if someone gets cuts or bruises you just wave a wand and they're back to normal.

If I'm remembering rightly, with Neville since he wasn't manifesting any magical ability as a baby, some relative tossed him out a second story window in a sink or swim kinda thing and no one in the wizard side of things thought it odd.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

M_Sinistrari posted:

If I'm remembering rightly, with Neville since he wasn't manifesting any magical ability as a baby, some relative tossed him out a second story window in a sink or swim kinda thing and no one in the wizard side of things thought it odd.

Yeah, and luckily he bounced.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Holy poo poo it's almost as if Harry Potter is just a derivative, trope-filled but also very entertaining series of book that don't really bear particularly close scrutiny or analysis. The main characters have generic but broadly positive liberal values in an essentially Victorian setting. The AUG bit is when people try to analyse it like high literature. Or perhaps the truly AUG bit is that our societal morals have regressed to the point that lessons like "slavery is bad" or "other races are worthy of respect and dignity" are actually important.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

bike tory posted:

Or perhaps the truly AUG bit is that our societal morals have regressed to the point that lessons like "slavery is bad" or "other races are worthy of respect and dignity" are actually important paid lip service and resolutely ignored by the in-group claiming to hold said values.
Also Rowling is a Tory.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Tubgoat posted:

Also Rowling is a Tory.

A Tory who's a close personal friend of Gordon Brown an donated £1,000,000 to the Labour Party?

She's criticised Corbyn in the past, but that doesn't automatically make someone right wing.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tubgoat posted:

Also Rowling is a Tory.

Dude, she’s a Blairite/Brownite “third way” Labour Party member. Have some precision about which particular brand of garbage politics someone supports.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^^^ Ahhhh, so still a willing collaborator, thanks! :tipshat:

Technocrat posted:

A Tory who's a close personal friend of Gordon Brown an donated £1,000,000 to the Labour Party?

She's criticised Corbyn in the past, but that doesn't automatically make someone right wing.
It was my understanding that she's a staunch centrist but if that's not the case I stand corrected and relieved, but also still distrustful based on the whole "Actually, Dumbledore's gay!" thing that deliberately did not answer the question of the fan that asked it.

Edit: I'm a Yank so we have leftists and we have republicans and we have republicans that self-identify as democrats and the only difference between the latter two groups is they choose different titles.

Tubgoat has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Dec 10, 2018

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Third way nutters are just tories cosplaying as workers. You either fully support the glorious workers utopia or are scum :redhammer:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Honestly, that is a faithful description of my feelings on the matter.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

jobson groeth posted:

Third way nutters are just tories cosplaying as workers. You either fully support the glorious workers utopia or are scum :redhammer:

Pretty sweet Tollund Man cosplay here.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Pretty sweet Tollund Man cosplay here.

1/10 needs far, far more tannin

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I'm glad Mr. Cool ICE exists. Gitta capitalize ICE or you don't know how cool he is.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Carnival of Shrews posted:

Madness, madness. There is no hope. Madness! I can see that now.
I finally found the post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Ice is frozen. Cool ice is just water.