Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Nick Esasky posted:

soo i had a couple of questions for people to chew on before i go to sleep:

1) Can you salvage shipwrecks at all besides the loot they drop when you initally kill them? Or are they just for chrome?

2)Is there a way to get a mining ship to automatically go and sell their stuff when they're full up? Without any stations of my own yet, mind you.

Automine works if you set it as their default behavior but you also need satellites to keep the prices updated on stations to sell at. There is a jump range slider and i just cant figure out what the hell that does they seem to sell wherever they get the best price. You can probably update prices yourself but they stalled a lot on me before i had sats on refineries. Resource sats seem to do gently caress all, the drat ships just go wherever lol. They will actually find all kinds of crap for you it almost works better than the explore function and they eventually find the most profitable fields it seems like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DogonCrook posted:

Automine works if you set it as their default behavior but you also need satellites to keep the prices updated on stations to sell at. There is a jump range slider and i just cant figure out what the hell that does they seem to sell wherever they get the best price. You can probably update prices yourself but they stalled a lot on me before i had sats on refineries. Resource sats seem to do gently caress all, the drat ships just go wherever lol. They will actually find all kinds of crap for you it almost works better than the explore function and they eventually find the most profitable fields it seems like.

The resource scanners are just supposed to show you how dense the resources are in the area around them but they seem to be bugged so that the information won't display on any after the first one.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Is there any specific sector that is especially good for miners or should I just put them in any field and let them work?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Because nobody asked for it, I did some weapons testing. Used a 6 S gun Pulsar to shoot an uncrewed, unshielded Mammoth. A cycle is the time spent shooting, and waiting for it to cool back down.

-Plasma is the best for burst damage, unsurprisingly
-Pulse has the best damage per heat generated, which is kind of surprising to me. It's also able to put out 3x as much damage as anything else before overheating, and can basically shoot forever
-Beams are poo poo for everything except that they can put out tracking damage, but with the turret patch (which could get even better), the woeful damage they put out doesn't really justify using them over Pulse or Bolt
-It takes 32 seconds for all weapons to cool down, except for beams, which take 4 more seconds for some reason
-Bolt and pulse damage values don't line up with the encyclopedia, but the output values are based on single rounds, while those both operate on multi-round magazines, this is not explained anywhere in game and I learned it from someone else doing file digging (and he didn't factor in heat)
-I did a 7 shot and 8 shot test with the plasma (7 shots takes it within a hair's width of maxxing the bar), strangely, this had nearly 0 impact on the dps values, possibly doing slightly MORE damage in bursts, but within MOE

Each weapon does seem useful in it's own way, though 3 stand out as having solid purpose, the other two not so much
-Bolt is an excellent all purpose weapon for anything in any fight style
-Plasma is good for cap ship/station fighting to put on your fleet
-Pulse is good for parking up in blindspots and putting a brick on the trigger
-Shard you could use for cap ship fly swatting if you're not screening with fighters
-Beam's exist, look neat, and can somewhat compensate for either a spastic pilot or target. I'd argue pulse would still be better to use though with it's 4km/s speed though

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Slickdrac posted:

Because nobody asked for it, I did some weapons testing. Used a 6 S gun Pulsar to shoot an uncrewed, unshielded Mammoth. A cycle is the time spent shooting, and waiting for it to cool back down.

This is amazingly useful, thank you.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Make a mod that brings beams up to snuff. I want wacky laser battles, dammit!

Hey so I found some place where wandering around the space dust drains my ship's health down to exploding. Is there some way to not die in these fields? It sucks to do so much ship management, take a visit over to one of them to maybe pull back a resource node that came up with nothing, then be in a ship that's basically on a self-destruct countdown.

Also as much as I love all these patches, I do hope they put in the ability to deactivate and collect deployables via the map/AI pilots instead of having to do it manually myself.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 9, 2018

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Why does capital ship combat still suck 20 years after freespace 2? That game had it down. But yeah the weapons in this game blow chunks. It wasnt super exciting in x3 (cap ships just shot tons of plasma globs at each other) but at least they had good range.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
Why is it all space simulator games seem to release broken, buggy and clearly unfinished?

Like there isn't an aspect of this game that seems to be working properly. It's not that I'm not enjoying what is there but that I know I would be enjoying it a lot more if it worked properly and was well balanced.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
So for anyone who hasn't messed around with mods, the Drag Chasis mod and the Forward Thrust engine mod are absolutely insane together. Case in point:

Edit: Turns out the X4 has a hard speed limit of 10550 m/s or so. Alas the 14 km/s travel speed is overkill.

Lando131 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 9, 2018

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I've pissed of HAT by doing a random "destroy lasertowers" mission, and now my auto traders refuse to trade. Anyone ran into this before?

EDIT: Actually, all my traders are full of Turret Components and that's why they don't trade, what the christ.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 9, 2018

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Checking in a week later, hows the goon verdict on the game so far?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im enjoying it a lot but it still has some problems.

Also: I just went into a xenon sector, blew up the gate guards with the help of some teladi already fighting there and got a blue long range scanner ping? B ut it just turned out to be a floating wreck piece. What gives?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
so on my 3 days sebatical from shitposting i played x and than cheated a bit and than got bored, I downloaded the money mod and modified it so I got 50mil everytime I dropped below 1mil, , here are the thintg i've learned

-the station is useless for generating money, per hour the stupid flying to asteroids and finding the twinkle seems to be the best money maker by like a factor of 10x

- I can't emphasize how useless the station is, it's currently produces everything needed for food and medical rations, with like 3 water purifier and 4 solar arrays so I don't run low on electric cells. It havn't run the numbers, but there is no way your station is profitable off anything you produce within the first 10 hours or so of any production module installed. Maybe more? Honestly I've dumped atleast 100mil into the station and I think it's made me a couple mil, at least the stations account isn't constantly going down anymore.

- Large Scale combat sucks: As soon as I saw that the carrier held 10 medium ships and 40 small fighters I knew I wanted to try capital ships asap. So with like fleet of miners I ranked up with the factions and built a fleet of 2x Argon Carriers, 1x Argon Destroyer and kitted out fighters to fill the things. First, the number of ships held is a lie, it's almost like you can take 10 medium ships OR 40 small, or some weird mix of both, at a certain point ships just can't dock anymore.

I was worried I cheated too much but when I got to the Xenon K gate I saw like 12 HOP destroyers sitting outside of it so I worried I may actually be outgunned. But this loving fleet cost me easily 200mil, I can't even begin to count the hours this would of cost of gameplay if I hadn't cheated.

Anyway my big fleet warps into enemy territory with 1.3 installed and we go engage a Defense platform...whose only defense was repair drones.

For 30 loving minutes I watched as my medium ships ran out of torpedos, carriers kept flying in circles for ~reasons~, and that stations hull slowly went down. No explosions, just chunks would disseaper when you hit specific %s

Anyway let me say how painfully loving boring this was, and how without cheating, like you're honestly looking at at least 30 hours of gameplay just to build the fleet I had, and it does gently caress all. Capital ship combat is so seemingly broken that there is no reason to waste the 33mil it will take to outfit a carrieer, and than the other 100+mil to fill it with ships

mind you that don't even exit the loving carrier by themselves, you have to manully undock every loving ship, even when they;'re all set to defend the capital ship.

anyway im putting the game away for a few months while patches and mods fix the late gameplay and that useless econmomy

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Slickdrac posted:

This is great stuff.

Does your mysterious sorcery also know what the heck this "Stargazer's guild Membership" that came for free with hitting Rep 10 with Alliance does? (Harder than hitting rank 20 with ARG, oh my god).

I also noticed their initial price for a trade subscription is a miniscule 10,000. So maybe the pricetags seeming to grow over time is down to how many stations a faction has? Because holy poo poo ALI is always minuscule as gently caress.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Morphix posted:

Words of war

Did you invade the Xenon sector, or HOP? I watched a streamer cheat up a fleet for invading the main races and it was brutal. One guy took 50 destroyers and a couple hundred other ships into an Argon sector and went basically 1 for 1 in ship kills off the gate, then he went after a defense platform (which did have combat drones) and they proceeded to decimate about half his remaining fleet before it was down. He used fighters to screen drones on the next one and it went a bit better, but after the defense platforms the rest of the system went pretty smoothly, but he lost about 3/4ths of his destroyers and basically all the fighters.

Section Z posted:

This is great stuff.

Does your mysterious sorcery also know what the heck this "Stargazer's guild Membership" that came for free with hitting Rep 10 with Alliance does? (Harder than hitting rank 20 with ARG, oh my god).

I also noticed their initial price for a trade subscription is a miniscule 10,000. So maybe the pricetags seeming to grow over time is down to how many stations a faction has? Because holy poo poo ALI is always minuscule as gently caress.

All the races have a guild, only a few of them actually seem to have guild missions to give out though (I've seen HOP, PAR, ARG, TEL, and SPP). The rest have the framework there, but no content. The ones that do work though can bug out permanently to where you can no longer get any more missions.

The trade price thing is a weird bug or something, the prices definitely seem to be set and not impacted by number of stations (and always cost 10+ million when you can actually buy it)

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Slickdrac posted:

Did you invade the Xenon sector, or HOP?

Xenon sector. I didn't lose a single ship. The only thing I lost was patience as my finger grew tired of holding down mouse1 to fire. Maybe it's because the game file was 1.21 before I jumped into Xenon space, I upgrade to 1.3 and than jumped in. So maybe they needed to build up or something. But ya not a single xenon ship came to defend the station. Nothing. Just a boring string of repair drones.

I mean I got the game file saved if anyone wants to gently caress around with a station that's self sustaining. It's absolutely mindboggliny stupid you can only build 1 thing at your station at a time, you can't hire multiple builders. So the station itself easily took 10+ hours of REAL time waiting to build.

Let me just say again, the economy is stupid and everything you sell or make is off by a factor of atleast 5x, if not 10x. Unless the intended play time into each play through is supposed to be like 300+hours plus or whatever. But even than the HOP at my gates had easily 3-4 times the fleet I had, like I can't even begin the money spent on it. There is no way anyone is having fleet battles in this game without cheating, I just don't believe you can make enough money. Like each medium sized ship kitted out is 4-5mil, every small is 1.4mil-1.7mil. Large are 17mil and XL are in the 35mil range. And that's before you get into ammo costs if you choose missiles (don't, the fights are so long and boring you'll run out before the fight ends)

e- also the carrier doesn't seem to fire any of it's guns on stationary platforms, it just flies 20km in and out of it's radius, even after orders being reset, that's all it does in combat. The Large destroyers are muuuuuch more useful because of their large plasma guns, which again seem to do very little damage when you're looking at a 2million + health pool of stations.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 9, 2018

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I checked out Matrix 451 and 9 now. Matrix 9 is completely devoid of all life, i only ran into 2 Xenon mining ships in the entire sector. a shipyard and wharf there as well as one power plant from the xenon and a defence platform. Matrix 451 which is the bordner one with Teladi has more KHAAK stations and ships than Xenon and was almost empty too except some xenon remants fighting with khaak.

So as far as ship mods go, mass reduction is the best for ship speed/steering? Since you can only use one chassis mod... hosed up you cant install even a radar mod extra.

Edit: X3 had kinda the same costs for capital ships but it helped that you could manufacture all smaller fighter craft yourself as well as the good weapons. Also the galaxy was much larger and you could realistically have a fleet of 30+ autotraders with jump drives that made the best deals.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 9, 2018

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Apparently I don't meet the system requirements but I didn't for Elite Dangerous either and I can run it at 50+ fps constantly at high (no idea how that works). Is X4 relatively the same or are the min reqs really mandatory?

Jeez my PC is old.

I'm under min specs on CPU, I'm still using a i5-2500k (2011), at base clock the game was completely unplayable. Overclocked to 4.8Ghz I get 70FPS in space and 15FPS in sration. You do need a videocard capable of running vulkan since the game uses that instead of OpenGL or DirectX so you will need a newer videocard.

e: I said space twice

pixaal fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 9, 2018

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

why are my trading ships constantly dying, yet I have had the same miners since the first two hours of the game?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

pixaal posted:

I'm under min specs on CPU, I'm still using a i5-2500k (2011), at base clock the game was completely unplayable. Overclocked to 4.8Ghz I get 70FPS in space and 15FPS in space. You do need a videocard capable of running vulkan since the game uses that instead of OpenGL or DirectX so you will need a newer videocard.

I have this odd combo of an FX-6300 and a R9 390x and it definitely seems like the games more CPU bound than GPU bound. Than again my cpu is old as poo poo so that probably has more to do with it being cpu bound on my system.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

sandoz posted:

why are my trading ships constantly dying, yet I have had the same miners since the first two hours of the game?

You can try changing the global ai setting in you pilot profile to comply with pirates and police - they'll drop stuff when accosted.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

sandoz posted:

No clue. Have you checked their diet?

More seriously check the behaviour tab to see what their default actions are for pirates, police and goodies. Pirate might be set to global attack.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Does anyone know what the blinking ??? on the map mean? Sometimes i see blue and gold colored ones but they vanish very quickly and when i fly there theres nothing there.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Catsplosion posted:

Why is it all space simulator games seem to release broken, buggy and clearly unfinished?

Like there isn't an aspect of this game that seems to be working properly. It's not that I'm not enjoying what is there but that I know I would be enjoying it a lot more if it worked properly and was well balanced.

Too many moving parts, small teams, small budgets

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Pomp posted:

Too many moving parts, small teams, small budgets

I was going to ask what about Space Citizen but I guess he did limit it to released games. :v:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've got a station that produces energy, hull parts and claytronics, but when I try to build more station modules it doesn't seem to move those resources into build storage.

Is this because I'm using a rental construction ship, or some other weird economic thing?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Okay i've tried out the mass reduction mod on my Nemesis vanguard... now it turns like a fighter almost, has 700 m/s top speed, 8k travel drive speed. Absolutely ridiculous.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 9, 2018

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got a station that produces energy, hull parts and claytronics, but when I try to build more station modules it doesn't seem to move those resources into build storage.

Is this because I'm using a rental construction ship, or some other weird economic thing?

You need cargo drones for it to move them over.

Currently looking in the files for the best spot to farm crystals at. Only certain sectors actually spawn them, and they are a special asteroid type. Experiential, Faulty Logic appears to be the best spot to farm them.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

FrickenMoron posted:

Does anyone know what the blinking ??? on the map mean? Sometimes i see blue and gold colored ones but they vanish very quickly and when i fly there theres nothing there.

Shift-3 to bring up the long range scanner, hold down secondary fire for a couple of seconds, then release.

A ping will travel out from your ship, you’ll hear interesting pings before you see them, but they’ll appear as circles in empty space. Head towards the pings until you see what it is. Be wary, i think i ran into one which destroyed me.

Datavaults are spinning boxes, shoot the red locks to release the contents. Ships are ships. Not that if you give your explorer ships a couple of marines, they can claim them for you, but you have to find them first.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is Scale Plate reputation bugged? Mine's been at -5, and I'm wondering if I should just start stealing ships from them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I mean i know how to use the long range scanner. These sometimes appear without long range scanning happening. But when i use the scanner or fly there nothing is around.

Also that sure is a designation for my player ship....

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is Scale Plate reputation bugged? Mine's been at -5, and I'm wondering if I should just start stealing ships from them.
It kinda seems like it, I made a bunch of big manual trades with them and the rep didn't change.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Scale Plate standing is locked in at -5, shoot them, help them, doesn't matter.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Theres a cheevo for joining the scale plate pact... i guess that's impossible then?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

FrickenMoron posted:

Theres a cheevo for joining the scale plate pact... i guess that's impossible then?

0.8% have it.
4.8% of people have the achievement to get a billion credits.

I'm going to guess it's bugged.

Edit:

I have to do this one right now:

beermonkey7919
Oct 15, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

I just landed at one of the pirate bases, and a rep in the bar asked if I wanted to join their faction for 50k creds. I said sure and got the cheevo. Rep said I would get missions from them but I haven't seen anything yet.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FrickenMoron posted:

I got the cheevo for stumbling onto their HQ, and talking to some random NPC in a bar making promises of missions (not related to the buggy "lucrative" missions)

Got a cheevo "It's just business: Join the scale plate pact". Still doesn't seem to help :sigh: Didn't unlock a pirate start on that note.

And yet they have a trade sub listed for sale even though you can't reach the rank needed to be allowed to buy it.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The one thing really holding the game back for me right now is a functional set-it-and-forget-it auto-explore. Manually setting 30 fly to orders for a scout to map out a single sector became way too tedious, letting alone doing that for a handful of scouts at to try to speed up the process.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah I remember the Explore command in x3 actually working fine and you could even set it so it would auto deploy satellites? But i guess that was an extension.

Also how do you get those war news? I want to know whats going on in my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...

FrickenMoron posted:

Okay i've tried out the mass reduction mod on my Nemesis vanguard... now it turns like a fighter almost, has 700 m/s top speed, 8k travel drive speed. Absolutely ridiculous.

Wow the rare mass mod also gives drag reduction, that's amazing. Of note lowered Mass gives you higher acceleration, lowered Drag gives you higher max speeds. Wish I knew where to get the rare part so I could add that to my Nemesis