Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I like to make a large batch of hot toddy’s in a crock pot for a party. Brew a big batch of tea in your crock pot, add lemon, honey, and whiskey to taste. Garnish with cinnamon sticks, star anise, and lemon slices.

It’s super easy and you don’t need an exact recipe because you can just tweak the flavor until it’s right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

DoctaFun posted:

Anyone been following this kerfluffle about Bourbon 30 and their ‘Butterface’ blend?

Yes but there's a lot of rumors so I'm sure it'll be over soon or they'll get smacked with fines if the allegations are true.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

Anyone been following this kerfluffle about Bourbon 30 and their ‘Butterface’ blend?

Not really, care to give the abridged version?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

spankmeister posted:

Here's what I got from a quick skim:

• It's a little company that barrel-ages other companies' white whiskey.
  • Some good reviews, plus the rarity that comes with a local boutique suddenly having national demand, caused resale prices to skyrocket.
  • Whoops: they incorrectly labeled some products as straight blended whiskey, a term they didn't meet the legal definition of.
  • Unclear: I saw some mention of awful unsanitary production processes, but I didn't keep digging.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
What sort of whiskey would you recommend to fans of Old Grand Dad 114?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Toast Museum posted:

• Some good reviews, plus the rarity that comes with a local boutique suddenly having national demand, caused resale prices to skyrocket.
  • Whoops: they incorrectly labeled some products as straight blended whiskey, a term they didn't meet the legal definition of.
  • Unclear: I saw some mention of awful unsanitary production processes, but I didn't keep digging.

They were using plastic trash cans to store product. They were also going into secondary resell groups and buying and selling from each other to drive up the price then selling stock through those same groups at the newly inflated prices. I also saw some pictures of multiple bottles of the same product that had wildly inconsistent fills and coloring.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

very stable genius posted:

They were using plastic trash cans to store product. They were also going into secondary resell groups and buying and selling from each other to drive up the price then selling stock through those same groups at the newly inflated prices. I also saw some pictures of multiple bottles of the same product that had wildly inconsistent fills and coloring.

:stare:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

spankmeister posted:

I’m having a hard time completely understanding it, as I wasn’t familiar with the particular distillery/blendary.

Bourbon 30 is a place that buys up other barrels of whiskies and then has a ‘master distiller’ (J Mattingly) make his own blends or finishes of these whiskies. They additionally distill their own spirits but it seems they don’t maybe do much of that.

Over the past couple of years, they’ve produced some well regarded bottles in their local market and started garnering a following. A local liquor store owner bought many barrels / bottlings from bourbon 30 and even started doing some exclusive blends that became even more popular. The second year of this many people bought and immediately flipped these bottles for decent profit.

Then it gets really weird, and most of this is probably rumor.

Some admin from some Facebook bourbon groups arrange some sort of private tour / blending session with bourbon 30 and some members of other Facebook groups. I think with the ultimate promise of them receiving bottle(s) of a signature blend which is sure to be ultra limited and sought after.

Admin collects money , including a potentially significant upcharge, so he pockets like 5-20k. Overall, they pull together like 80k or something ridiculous. Rumor is that he upcharged so that he could buy into B30 and reap benefits of soon to come scan.

The group gets there and find an unorganized mess, even rumors of whiskies being blended in garbage cans, including ‘light whiskey’ in the final product, etc. they taste some barrels and agree on one or a blend of them and JM says they’ll be ready in a couple weeks. After the group leaves, the admin stays back and works out another deal with JM and they bottle a blend called ‘Butterface.’ Super classy.

These Butterface bottles start showing up on secondary sites(maybe even local shops) and selling for crazy amounts, quite possibly with some shill bidders to drive up demand.

The other attendees of the private event get pissed because they are still waiting for their bottles, some may have even bought one of these Butterface bottles and immediately say it doesn’t taste anything like the one they picked out. Leading to accusations of additives/flavors added to the blend to make it seem more impressive.

Then some leaks come out about unsanitary conditions, incorrect labeling (ie: not straight whiskey) , and ultimately an average at best product.

Seems like more or less a manufactured scam to increase demand in a lame product.

Then, the admins of bourbon groups ban sales for that brand, more or less screwing anyone that bought a bottle to flip.

all the while, this J Mattingly guy just drug through the mud for proven or unproven claims that he’s blending like 3 year old whiskies and grain spirits or something in garbage cans and then selling it for $100+ a bottle.

Most of that makes no sense and is a jumbled mess, but it seems like the bourbon bubble is starting to create some drama!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Also, hoping someone tries number 5 from this list http://whiskyadvocate.com/top20/

I bought a bottle and really am enjoying it!!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

DoctaFun posted:

I’m having a hard time completely understanding it, as I wasn’t familiar with the particular distillery/blendary.

Bourbon 30 is a place that buys up other barrels of whiskies and then has a ‘master distiller’ (J Mattingly) make his own blends or finishes of these whiskies. They additionally distill their own spirits but it seems they don’t maybe do much of that.

Over the past couple of years, they’ve produced some well regarded bottles in their local market and started garnering a following. A local liquor store owner bought many barrels / bottlings from bourbon 30 and even started doing some exclusive blends that became even more popular. The second year of this many people bought and immediately flipped these bottles for decent profit.

Then it gets really weird, and most of this is probably rumor.

Some admin from some Facebook bourbon groups arrange some sort of private tour / blending session with bourbon 30 and some members of other Facebook groups. I think with the ultimate promise of them receiving bottle(s) of a signature blend which is sure to be ultra limited and sought after.

Admin collects money , including a potentially significant upcharge, so he pockets like 5-20k. Overall, they pull together like 80k or something ridiculous. Rumor is that he upcharged so that he could buy into B30 and reap benefits of soon to come scan.

The group gets there and find an unorganized mess, even rumors of whiskies being blended in garbage cans, including ‘light whiskey’ in the final product, etc. they taste some barrels and agree on one or a blend of them and JM says they’ll be ready in a couple weeks. After the group leaves, the admin stays back and works out another deal with JM and they bottle a blend called ‘Butterface.’ Super classy.

These Butterface bottles start showing up on secondary sites(maybe even local shops) and selling for crazy amounts, quite possibly with some shill bidders to drive up demand.

The other attendees of the private event get pissed because they are still waiting for their bottles, some may have even bought one of these Butterface bottles and immediately say it doesn’t taste anything like the one they picked out. Leading to accusations of additives/flavors added to the blend to make it seem more impressive.

Then some leaks come out about unsanitary conditions, incorrect labeling (ie: not straight whiskey) , and ultimately an average at best product.

Seems like more or less a manufactured scam to increase demand in a lame product.

Then, the admins of bourbon groups ban sales for that brand, more or less screwing anyone that bought a bottle to flip.

all the while, this J Mattingly guy just drug through the mud for proven or unproven claims that he’s blending like 3 year old whiskies and grain spirits or something in garbage cans and then selling it for $100+ a bottle.

Most of that makes no sense and is a jumbled mess, but it seems like the bourbon bubble is starting to create some drama!

Thanks for the write-ups, that's quite the story. :stonk:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Odd Mutant posted:

What sort of whiskey would you recommend to fans of Old Grand Dad 114?

Booker's is great if you can find it for ~$50.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

DoctaFun posted:

Also, hoping someone tries number 5 from this list http://whiskyadvocate.com/top20/

I bought a bottle and really am enjoying it!!

Hey that's almost an advent calendar!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's no accounting for taste, but I can't imagine putting in the work and taking on the loans to set up a distillery, and settle on "You Know, Like Beer-Thirty, But For Bourbon" as my brand.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Halloween Jack posted:

There's no accounting for taste, but I can't imagine putting in the work and taking on the loans to set up a distillery, and settle on "You Know, Like Beer-Thirty, But For Bourbon" as my brand.

Oh my god, I didn’t even make that connection. If one thing exudes class and flavor it’s Beer 30.

I have my whisky tasting tonight:
Rock Hill Farms
ORVW10
ORVW12
EC18
Stagg

Any suggestions on order if given the choice? I’m thinking of doing the Stagg last given its proof, but happy to hear suggestions. Wish me luck in the raffle!!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I didn't get it either; I had to see the bottle

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The label looks like a generic soda.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

Oh jesus, you're right. I kept staring at it and trying to figure why I hated it, and that just nailed it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

wormil posted:

the faygo of bourbon

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hauki posted:

the faygo of bourbon

But Faygo is delicious.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
No luck for me in my raffle :(.

I did get to try some nice bourbons though. I must say, I’m glad I got to try them, they are good but in no way worth the secondary prices in my opinion.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

DoctaFun posted:

No luck for me in my raffle :(.

I did get to try some nice bourbons though. I must say, I’m glad I got to try them, they are good but in no way worth the secondary prices in my opinion.

That’s my feeling about all whiskies. The only way I’d pay silly amounts for something is if it had a significant date or otherwise sentimental attachment. my birth-year Glenfarclas Family Cask is the only one that ran low and is worth about 3 times as much as my car :rolleyes:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well, one of the reasons I love rum is that there's a comparable degree of diversity and complexity, but without the marketing hype and conspicuous consumption that attaches itself to brandy and whiskey.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I’m about to present a tasting to 26 whisky nerds about a distillery I know next to nothing about. As an added bonus I’m going to attempt to talk about Sherry, and serve four sherries. A subject I know even less about. Wish me luck goons!

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

slothrop posted:

my birth-year Glenfarclas

On this note, I had a son this year and want to buy him something special for when he gets older. Either a whisky bottled this year, or a new pot going into a cask this year.
I suppose it's easy enough to find the former, but for the latter. Let's just say money is no object -- anyone know of cask owners programs that allow you to let the whisky mature for like, two decades? The ones I've come across all end after 10 years, tops.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

zmcnulty posted:

On this note, I had a son this year and want to buy him something special for when he gets older. Either a whisky bottled this year, or a new pot going into a cask this year.
I suppose it's easy enough to find the former, but for the latter. Let's just say money is no object -- anyone know of cask owners programs that allow you to let the whisky mature for like, two decades? The ones I've come across all end after 10 years, tops.

Whisky is an interesting one. You can buy bottles this year or you can buy distilled this year (obviously this comes in the future)

Wine you’ll want to wait a few years for the 2018’s to be released, buy magnum or bigger to slow the ageing process down a little and buy quality.

I have a 1984 Cadenhead Caol Ila bottled at 31 years old that I purchased when I was 33 or so. It was expensive. I’ll break it out for my wedding or 40th, whichever comes first.

I have a couple of bottles of a Signatory Vintage Glenlivet distilled on my birthday, but far younger. I’ll keep them because they have that date on them.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

slothrop posted:

I’m about to present a tasting to 26 whisky nerds about a distillery I know next to nothing about. As an added bonus I’m going to attempt to talk about Sherry, and serve four sherries. A subject I know even less about. Wish me luck goons!

I hope it went alright for you. I usually find once everyone has had a drink or 2 it gets a lot easier.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

biglads posted:

I hope it went alright for you. I usually find once everyone has had a drink or 2 it gets a lot easier.

Thanks, I started everyone with a highball, given the current temperature here it was a good way of getting into it. Presenting is hard and I'm not really sure what to expect of it, people seemed to enjoy what I did but I'd prefer to know a lot more about my brands before I present again.

Anyone who's been to a few tastings: do you have any pet peeves or favourite things that a presenter did? Love to know what people enjoy/hate. I know everyone is different;

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Thoughts on the Knob Creek cask strength rye? It’s listed as #2 on Whisky Advocate’s 2018 list. Thinking of giving it as a gift to a rye lover.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

mentalcontempt posted:

Thoughts on the Knob Creek cask strength rye? It’s listed as #2 on Whisky Advocate’s 2018 list. Thinking of giving it as a gift to a rye lover.
I just bought some a few days ago. I have it sitting in front of me back to back with some EH Taylor Straight Rye. I'm a novice so my input isn't worth anything but by way of comparison between the two. The EH Taylor doesn't smell or taste quite like a conventional rye to me. It has a surprisingly light floral/herbal nose with some peppery notes on the back end. I also get some fruit notes like green apple while the pepper kicks in later. It's really easy drinking and pleasant but if you want a more traditional rye experience EH Taylor Straight Rye is not it. I really like it but I can see how some people would be meh about it. Note that my description isn't shared by any other reviewers and I'm sure I'm wrong about everything.

With the Knob Creek, I had to let it sit for a bit to even approach the nose. An initial smell just got a strong alcohol burn. The nose is strong but I'm having trouble unpacking the scents because of the alochol and my lack of vocabulary. Perhaps it seems like caramel and wood and some kind of bright note underneath. Very drinkable at full proof. A bit sweeter and less spicy than I expected for a cask strength but still very good and a more traditional rye experience than the EH Taylor. I wasn't completely sold on the Knob Creek initially but it's starting to grow on me a lot after the second drink.

Sorry I know that wasn't very helpful but I think the Knob Creek would make a good gift.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 8, 2018

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Asking for some scotch for am Christmas this year, but want to narrow the list down, what does everyone think of these bottles?

Balvenie 17 Doublewood: $127
Glenmorangie 18: $89
Glenmorangie nectar D’or: $75
Glenmorangie Quinta ruban: $53
Aberlour A’bunadh: $97
Chivas Regal Mizunara: $35

My gift givers have a ~$150 and ~$100 budget respectively.

Thinking Aberlour + Quinta
&
Glenmorangie 18

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Balvenie 17 Doublewood: $127 - Not worth, not that good.
Glenmorangie 18: $89 - Decent value.
Glenmorangie nectar D’or: $75 - Meh.
Glenmorangie Quinta ruban: $53 - Decent value.
Aberlour A’bunadh: $97 - Batch dependent, probably not worth.
Chivas Regal Mizunara: $35 - Not a clue.

I’d rather Oban 14, Clynelish 14, Glengoyne 15 than the wine finished Glenmorangies.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

Asking for some scotch for am Christmas this year, but want to narrow the list down, what does everyone think of these bottles?

Balvenie 17 Doublewood: $127
Glenmorangie 18: $89
Glenmorangie nectar D’or: $75
Glenmorangie Quinta ruban: $53
Aberlour A’bunadh: $97
Chivas Regal Mizunara: $35

My gift givers have a ~$150 and ~$100 budget respectively.

Thinking Aberlour + Quinta
&
Glenmorangie 18

Abunadh is p. good and I don’t even like sherried whiskies that much. From the others, nectar d’or used to be pretty solid as well, but it’s been a long time since I had it. Quinta was decent too though, I’ve been picking that up at Costco lately since it’s actually one of the cheapest decent scotches they have.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

slothrop posted:

Thanks, I started everyone with a highball, given the current temperature here it was a good way of getting into it. Presenting is hard and I'm not really sure what to expect of it, people seemed to enjoy what I did but I'd prefer to know a lot more about my brands before I present again.

Anyone who's been to a few tastings: do you have any pet peeves or favourite things that a presenter did? Love to know what people enjoy/hate. I know everyone is different;

Having been to a load of tastings and hosted a few what I like to do is have a couple of minutes chat about each distillery and particular whisky that is being tasted. Also mention some of the smells and flavours to look for when they are trying it, remembering of course that everyone has different tastes etc. Ask the punters what they find in the whisky and if there's anything they particularly like/don't like. I note stuff down on each whisky in the flight on a 3x5 card when tasting the week before. Also, make yourself available to talk to people on an individual level at the end of the session if they have any questions or are looking for recommendations. For some sets I've done printed handouts with info on the whiskies too.

Another really basic thing is to try all of the whiskies you are going to share and make sure that the tasting order is right. You probably don't need me to tell you that sticking a Lagavulin first means that following up with something lighter in flavour is a waste of time, always end with your peat-heavy whiskies. I know that's pretty obvious but I was somewhere once where a Laphroaig Cairdeas was the first whisky on the list and #2 & #3 were lighter whiskies that were completely overpowered by the Laphroaig.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Did some Christmas shopping for myself and others.

For myself: Pikesville Rye, Eagle Rare, Redbreast Lustau, El Dorado 15.

For my boss: Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye

For a $25 limit booze exchange, Rittenhouse.

Still trying to figure out what my favorite “nice” bourbon is. Buffalo Trace is so good for the price that I’ve just been drinking that lately. I had some Four Roses recently that was nice, had sort of a banana-clove thing going on that reminds me a little bit of certain Hefeweizen; maybe from the yeast?

Almost picked up Green Spot but was concerned I’d be disappointed when compared to Redbreast, and didn’t want to waste money.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I got the same rye for myself but haven't had a chance to crack it open yet.

Excited though!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I was excited to find Redbreast Lustau at my local Southern California Costco for a nice price.

Then I saw on a friend's Instagram story that he scored some Nikka From the Barrel at his local Sam Francisco area Costco. Jealous.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Oooohh how much did you find the Lustau for?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a bourbon thread, or is this it?

Someone was nice enough to give me a bottle of "Joseph Magnus straight Bourbon Whiskey", I don't know too much about it, but if it's really good I would rather gift it than keep it since I have a bunch of bourbon at home already. Anyone taste this before?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

obi_ant posted:

Is there a bourbon thread, or is this it?

Someone was nice enough to give me a bottle of "Joseph Magnus straight Bourbon Whiskey", I don't know too much about it, but if it's really good I would rather gift it than keep it since I have a bunch of bourbon at home already. Anyone taste this before?

It’s MGP/LDI juice apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

It’s MGP/LDI juice apparently.

Don't they supply for Willett, High West and Angel's Envy? Is that a good or a bad thing?