Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

It is pretty dumb they hid "How to Play" under the setting that's for "cutscenes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Underrated improvement in Smash Bros Ultimate: the menus

Smash 4s Menus were a gorgeous pile of poo poo, nothing made sense, they weren't colored consistently, and some modes and options were nested 4, possibly 5 menus deep. Dropping the Vault on the front page and nesting the useless features was a great move

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Vault has the two most important pages in the game, the place to listen to music and the place to buy the rest of the music.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Vault has the two most important pages in the game, the place to listen to music and the place to buy the rest of the music.

Omg... thanks, been wondering where to find this. The music is really good so far, but I long for Guile's theme.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Mega64 posted:

It is pretty dumb they hid "How to Play" under the setting that's for "cutscenes".

Remember when Nintendo released the New 3ds and didnt include an ac adapter because they assumed everybody obviously already had one?

Reggie Lolin That people ain't know how to smash

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bombadilillo posted:

Remember when Nintendo released the New 3ds and didnt include an ac adapter because they assumed everybody obviously already had one?

Reggie Lolin That people ain't know how to smash

That generally proved to be pretty true though. The majority of buyers who're gonna grab the revised model of an outrageously-successful handheld are people who already bought the launch model.

It's not like a home console, where you're probably not gonna see as much turnover from PS4's to PS4 Pro's or XBOne's to XBoX's because they're a whole lot more expensive and a fixture of the room they're in.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

The help menu on the right side bar there also has a lot of pages on basic concepts, move lists, and descriptions of unique mechanics for characters that have them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That generally proved to be pretty true though. The majority of buyers who're gonna grab the revised model of an outrageously-successful handheld are people who already bought the launch model.

It's not like a home console, where you're probably not gonna see as much turnover from PS4's to PS4 Pro's or XBOne's to XBoX's because they're a whole lot more expensive and a fixture of the room they're in.

I would like to see what you base that on.

The new 3ds was my first one which doesn’t prove anything but I would not have purchased a new one if so.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Also attract more auto plays the how-to video. Not that that's super helpful

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Don't forget to make a Mii Brawler, Swordfighter, and Gunner—they all have character slots on the character select screen

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
smash ultimate has more internal documentation than any previous smash by a pretty wide margin

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What's the specific thing that makes Into the Breach endearing to almost everyone? I certainly digging it so far. I'm not far in and it's nice having a little advance wars style game to play on my Switch, but right off the bat, I'm also not seeing what really sets it apart from the pack as a TBS game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

What's the specific thing that makes Into the Breach endearing to almost everyone? I certainly digging it so far. I'm not far in and it's nice having a little advance wars style game to play on my Switch, but right off the bat, I'm also not seeing what really sets it apart from the pack as a TBS game.

I think it does the roguelike 'run' really well. The teams are fun to explore and discover their different play styles. And the constant agonizing decisions of building vs mech damage means each turn and action is super important.

It's just good

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Probably the lore? I like the world and it's cool to be fighting in giant robots versus giant bugs. It's not something you see done that often.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Mostly that it's TBS distilled into a really fun and quick game without much fluff. It also plays quite different based on your teams and pilots.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It's wildly cohesive.

It's easy to have it fly under the radar of consciousness, but every mechanic, decision, and bit of lore all mesh together in a very premeditated and successful way to cement the whole as greater than the sum of its parts.

And it has good parts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It also only has one stage where information is hidden from you pre-deployment and all enemy waves and actions are shown and known. The one trick stage can only get you once because its the same stage and final fight, so it doesnt change and youll remember it.

The downside for me is once I beat it as a team I felt no incentive whatsoever to play with that team ever again, so make sure that part of it is your thing or youll get about ten runs out of the game.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I like the small numbers and concrete calculations. Knowing that this attack will always do this much damage and that attack will always push in that direction lets you set up complex strategies to clear the whole map in one turn. It's super satisfying watching all the dominos fall.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

It also only has one stage where information is hidden from you pre-deployment and all enemy waves and actions are shown and known. The one trick stage can only get you once because its the same stage and final fight, so it doesnt change and youll remember it.

The downside for me is once I beat it as a team I felt no incentive whatsoever to play with that team ever again, so make sure that part of it is your thing or youll get about ten runs out of the game.

After that it's more about getting a good pilot and thinking what team they will synergize with.

Plus with dying a bunch and actually unlocking those teams you are getting way more than '10 runs'

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I wanted to comment on Mud Runner.

This is a pretty drat good port. Anyone who is a fan of the original PC game will not feel disappointed in this experience. The graphics do suffer in comparison, but that's to be expected.

If you enjoy driving trucks in the mud, you won't find this experience to be watered down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

After that it's more about getting a good pilot and thinking what team they will synergize with.

Plus with dying a bunch and actually unlocking those teams you are getting way more than '10 runs'

I think I had one failed run and one run that existed just to grind medals to buy the last team. My brain is broken of course so the first thing I did was map out the most effecient path for medals, which is why my advice on replayability is couched in recognizing my bias.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

RandomFerret posted:

I like the small numbers and concrete calculations. Knowing that this attack will always do this much damage and that attack will always push in that direction lets you set up complex strategies to clear the whole map in one turn. It's super satisfying watching all the dominos fall.

Yea, overall the very simple and constrained attack types/map sizes gives missions a very tight and satisfying design. On normal you're very often in a position that seems almost unworkable but if you plan your turn out exactly you can just barely get by. It's almost half puzzle game.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 9, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

I think I had one failed run and one run that existed just to grind medals to buy the last team. My brain is broken of course so the first thing I did was map out the most effecient path for medals, which is why my advice on replayability is couched in recognizing my bias.

drat, you must be way better at the game then me. I found it pretty tough and definitely had a failed run with new teams just learning their powers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

drat, you must be way better at the game then me. I found it pretty tough and definitely had a failed run with new teams just learning their powers.

My failed run was learning that the Blitz team sucks. I would also have had a failed run with the "injure yourself" team had it not been for looking up the games unintuitive order of operations for healing from damage.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

it's just a good TBS game and I feel like there's not enough good ones really. eshop has a lot of those mediorce Mercenaries Saga games, I already have Rabbids, not a fan of Valkyria's movement or feel. Into The Breach is just rocksolid and it's probably the second-most played TBS game I've played in the last few years next to XCOM2.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

My failed run was learning that the Blitz team sucks. I would also have had a failed run with the "injure yourself" team had it not been for looking up the games unintuitive order of operations for healing from damage.

drat.

Like I said, I find it really challanging on normal. Interested in other goons experiences. Is Baraduk really good or am I really bad?

I'd say it takes 3-4 tries with a team to win for me. Occasionally first try.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

drat.

Like I said, I find it really challanging on normal. Interested in other goons experiences. Is Baraduk really good or am I really bad?

I'd say it takes 3-4 tries with a team to win for me. Occasionally first try.

A little bit of column A and little bit of column B.

I don't find the game super challenging on hard but it's not exactly trivial either.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I legit didnt notice any difference between Easy and Normal, but hard was a real jump up in difficulty and there were certain maps I just skipped in Normal/Hard because the likelihood of them causing a wipe was just too darn high. Like if youre beelining all upgrades/power youre going to eat poo poo a lot more often because some of those stages are just rude.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice. Yeah I totally like it, I was just curious as to what made it really stand out for people so much. My experience with it is just super limited, and on the surface it feels a lot like advance wars. Which isn't a bad thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No. 6 posted:

I wanted to comment on Mud Runner.

This is a pretty drat good port. Anyone who is a fan of the original PC game will not feel disappointed in this experience. The graphics do suffer in comparison, but that's to be expected.

If you enjoy driving trucks in the mud, you won't find this experience to be watered down.

I kind of laughed when I looked up what the concept for this game was, and then I looked up some gameplay and it actually looks like a lot of fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I haven't played Into the Breach yet, but everything that is being said could also mostly be applied to Klei's Invisible Inc, which very much needs a Switch port.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
anyone here use the 8bitdo and a ps4 controller with their switch

thumbs up or down

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Spellman posted:

Don't forget to make a Mii Brawler, Swordfighter, and Gunner—they all have character slots on the character select screen

Also, you can unlock these characters by editing Mii Fighters in the menus. Does the Switch let you download Mii's via QR code?

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

thumbs up or down

You can use PS4 controls?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Spacebump posted:

Does the Switch let you download Mii's via QR code?

No camera, so no. Possibly through Amiibo though

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Can you download popular ones anymore? I never cared but now I could have a sword fighting Admirsl Akbar so...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This looks fun. I like the gimmick that your party is stacked on top of your head and they jump off to use their special abilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHQ_l_Je-WE

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

thumbs up or down

I have the older 8bitdo pro30 that didn't have rumble or gyro, but it's great for fighting games and 2d platformers. The analogue sticks work fine too, I played through a few hours of botw with it, but ultimately I went back just for the motion controls

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Spacebump posted:

Also, you can unlock these characters by editing Mii Fighters in the menus. Does the Switch let you download Mii's via QR code?

You can use PS4 controls?

Switch doesn't have a real camera so no QR codes

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

RandomFerret posted:

I have the older 8bitdo pro30 that didn't have rumble or gyro, but it's great for fighting games and 2d platformers. The analogue sticks work fine too, I played through a few hours of botw with it, but ultimately I went back just for the motion controls

People seem to say the new one works with motion controls, I just ordered it since I had enough Amex points to not pay for it so we will see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The current 8bitdo controllers work with motion controls, play Splatoon with it once a while.