Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Thanks to this thread I can now assess how much of an rear end in a top hat a lawyer is by how they close their correspondence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

El_Elegante posted:

Thanks to this thread I can now assess how much of an rear end in a top hat a lawyer is by how they close their correspondence.

Anyone who uses Esq. is a douche.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ActusRhesus posted:

My parent's cat is Professor Brody H. Farnsworth III, Esq., DDS, and hes only a douchebag sometimes.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

ActusRhesus posted:

Can confirm.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Can confirm.

Lol

Seriously I immediately adjudge anyone with Esq on their own signature a severe and total dumbass.

So far it’s been close to 100% accurate

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol

Seriously I immediately adjudge anyone with Esq on their own signature a severe and total dumbass.

So far it’s been close to 100% accurate

I assumed only olds, rurals, and freshly-minted law grad solos do the Esq thing.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Vox Nihili posted:

I assumed only olds, rurals, and freshly-minted law grad solos do the Esq thing.

I’ve never noticed a pattern beyond douchebag.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Vox Nihili posted:

No one I know who graduated with me in 2017 did it.

The most that's acceptable is Name, J.D. in very specific circumstances

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The only place I put esq is in court filings because it’s required.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

How does Esq. compare to people who use their JD to demand being called a Dr. ?

Pretty sure all the latter don't even practice

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Never encountered a serious "call me doctor" jd. I do it to annoy my phd wife.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Shouldn’t your bar # satisfy whatever requirement affixing an antiquated English pseudo-nobility title to your name purportedly does?

I for one think all lawyers should be armigers and be required to seal all pleadings and letters with their coat of arms. In fact all those originalist idiots need to recognize the right to bear arms enshrined in the 2d Amendment obviously was intended for this purpose.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Ashcans posted:

You don’t want to be called Dr. Calling yourself that will just open you up to the question, “So I’ve had this rash, can you take a look?”

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I ran across one guy who did this. Without me even asking the saying anything about it he frantically explained how he consulted the bar association who confirmed that he can call himself a doctor, it’s totally appropriate and he has a letter from them to prove it.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
The only place I’ve seen a JD ask to be called doctor is in academia which is almost even more comical.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I ran across one guy who did this. Without me even asking the saying anything about it he frantically explained how he consulted the bar association who confirmed that he can call himself a doctor, it’s totally appropriate and he has a letter from them to prove it.

Did his dad work at nintendo?

I've encountered "Phd. Advocate" before and the guy was exactly as insufferable as that would suggest. It's not a thing, it doesn't mean anything in a procedural context, it's not a title that allows you any appearance right or other law function rights and also it should be the other way around.

Meanwhile, I just hosed up my laptop when I disassembled it to get at the battery. Clearly I should stick to carpentry.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

my torts professor didn’t even call himself Dr. and he actually was one. J.D. M.D.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I know a number of people who did the Esquire thing to try and get fancy credit cards because they thought it would help them get approved.

I imagine every time they pay for something, people think they are just giant d bags.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I roll my eyes at people putting their degrees in their email signatures, I don't think I've even run into people having esq.

When people are QC you never see their loving name without it though

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
In med school there was an annoying trend of email signatures involving something along the lines of
“MD Candidate 20xx”
Is there a law school equivalent?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Ratatozsk posted:

In med school there was an annoying trend of email signatures involving something along the lines of
“MD Candidate 20xx”
Is there a law school equivalent?

“JD Candidate 20XX”

I vaguely remember career services championing this idea but I can’t fathom why since if you’re applying for a summer firm position they’d already know you’re in law school and nobody else would care.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Shouldn’t your bar # satisfy whatever requirement affixing an antiquated English pseudo-nobility title to your name purportedly does?

I for one think all lawyers should be armigers and be required to seal all pleadings and letters with their coat of arms. In fact all those originalist idiots need to recognize the right to bear arms enshrined in the 2d Amendment obviously was intended for this purpose.

New York doesn't use bar numbers, your name is your "bar number" in a way that i forget the details of. So in NY at least it's pretty common to do it just to identify yourself as a lawyer in legal correspondence.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I recall reading something about how saying Dr was ok for JDs unless you were doing advertisements for medical malpractice lawsuits. So there was probably a short window of a few smug dudes misleading the gently caress out of a ton of clients

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Pook Good Mook posted:

The most that's acceptable is Name, J.D. in very specific circumstances

The only times I have seen this are people with law degrees that aren’t barred. So basically Toona, JD.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

I recall reading something about how saying Dr was ok for JDs unless you were doing advertisements for medical malpractice lawsuits. So there was probably a short window of a few smug dudes misleading the gently caress out of a ton of clients

Yeah the rule in Texas is basically "you can call yourself doctor unless it would lead to confusion about you being a medical doctor." I've read the ethics opinion from the bar on this.

Still, never seen it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

The only place I put esq is in court filings because it’s required.

Douchebag by operation of law lol

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

evilweasel posted:

New York doesn't use bar numbers, your name is your "bar number" in a way that i forget the details of. So in NY at least it's pretty common to do it just to identify yourself as a lawyer in legal correspondence.

New York has attorney registration numbers, which are essentially bar numbers. What we don't have are bar cards.

When I was visiting Texas for work a few years ago I was lucky I already had a Secure Pass to show some jail staff as my "bar card" -- some colleagues of mine had to show their Certificates of Good Standing and argue a bit to be let in.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Why advertise that people should hate you?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Douchebag by operation of law lol

:lol:

De jure douche

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Look Sir Droids posted:

The only times I have seen this are people with law degrees that aren’t barred. So basically Toona, JD.

Dr. Toona, rising Esq.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
My close friends just call me Doc.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yeah the rule in Texas is basically "you can call yourself doctor unless it would lead to confusion about you being a medical doctor." I've read the ethics opinion from the bar on this.

Still, never seen it.

By the time people say, “I’ve got this rash” they’re already pulling up their shirt and showing their belly

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

From my ten years as a pharmacy tech at Walgreens, I've seen the entirety of a human body covered in a rash. Never once did I wish to see it.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
“Please meet the above demands so that we can put this matter behind us.
Time is of the essence.”

“Govern yourself accordingly.”

I’m sure there have been others.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yo elegante how's the return tho medicine going?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

From my ten years as a pharmacy tech at Walgreens, I've seen the entirety of a human body covered in a rash. Never once did I wish to see it.

I hope I can spend my entire life without doing ten years of any particular thing.

Err, I mean, yes, of course I intend to make partner someday. Big dream of mine.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It’s good! I’m practicing in a small town and quickly learned how to politely accept heaps of gossip from patients and nurses without retaining any of it.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

I hope I can spend my entire life without doing ten years of any particular thing.

Err, I mean, yes, of course I intend to make partner someday. Big dream of mine.

Yes well I needed a job to get myself through high school undergrad grad school and law school.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yes well I needed a job to get myself through high school undergrad grad school and law school.

I did too, I just had like 7 different ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
This is fine

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1072140728242003970