Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’d love to see them do a modern version of the grey/blue or white/gold color schemes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The_Doctor posted:

I’m intrigued by the talk of losing the bronzed look.
Plastic Dalek return confirmed!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

This fan film recreation of Power of the Daleks (with Lisa Bowerman and Barnaby Edwards) uses the new series Daleks, but has them colored gray and blue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMfRd0qxMSE

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hope they're just 1963-recoloured versions of the 2005-onward design, because you can't really beat that shape.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That rumor also says Who will be delayed to 2020 so hopefully it isnt real

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Nope. They said it'll be back in next year.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Technically, a Christmas special next year would cover their rear end.

I'm wondering if it might be 5 in the fall, Christmas/New Years special + 5 more in the Spring. Then the season after that would pick back up in the Spring of 2021. Essentially doing 9 months between each season now.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Return of New Dalek Paradigm

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Teek posted:

Technically, a Christmas special next year would cover their rear end.

I'm wondering if it might be 5 in the fall, Christmas/New Years special + 5 more in the Spring. Then the season after that would pick back up in the Spring of 2021. Essentially doing 9 months between each season now.

I mean, this season’s New Year’s episode will air in 2019, so...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

BBC just confirmed it's taking the year off.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

PriorMarcus posted:

On Moffat years I was absolutely livid about them skipping a year.

Now I don't even care. I Still got enough big finish to listen for the next decade.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

Any indication why?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Well, you can't rush quality.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjiTgX6TR5U

I hope this isn't a story about a single Dalek being able to destroy the world.

Or maybe...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No way is it going to be a Dalek

Those things haven't been scary since

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

No way is it going to be a Dalek

Those things haven't been scary since

What

if we put a sheet over it?

OOOOOOOOOOH IT'S A GHOST DALEEEEEEEEEEEK

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I love how Daleks look about as threatening as a loaf of bread

Then they slaughter everyone while screaming like lunatics before getting defeated by the Doctor waving a hat at it

:allears:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
You know it's just going to be a Dalek and it's going to be the Eccleston episode all over again in terms of setup.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope it's Shockeye o' the Quancing Grig.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I feel like a lot of things this season have been described as "the most dangerous creature in the universe."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really would like it to be a Dalek, but with how poorly they've been treated since

Dalek

I don't know if I'd believe the Doctor calling them the most dangerous thing in the universe

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
lol it's gonna be Resolution of the Daleks isn't it?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

Szmitten posted:

lol it's gonna be Resolution of the Daleks isn't it?

The Daleks finally upgraded their eyestalks to widescreen 4K! :v:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
There was a screening of the new years special this evening. Spoilers indicate that the returning alien is a Slitheen. There's an extended farting sequence, supposed to be brilliant.

In all seriousness though, it's a Dalek, as had been widely speculated. Apparently it's an Earth origined Dalek though, whatever that means.

The episode itself is getting good reviews for what it's worth.

Teek fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 19, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’d like to see a T2 style episode where Earth scientists try to replicate a Dalek they can control for the military and 13 has to destroy it.

Although isn’t that more or less the 2005 episode? I haven’t watched it in years.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay Chib

Please get this right. Daleks are pretty much the most important enemy to get right in Doctor Who.

Every Doctor needs one good encounter with them.

Twelve will get one in Big Finish, I'm sure.

Please Chib, do this right

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Teek posted:

There was a screening of the new years special this evening. Spoilers indicate that the returning alien is a Slitheen. There's an extended farting sequence, supposed to be brilliant.

In all seriousness though, it's a Dalek, as had been widely speculated. Apparently it's an Earth origined Dalek though, whatever that means.

The episode itself is getting good reviews for what it's worth.

"THESE DAL-EKS WILL HAVE THE HU-MAN FAC-TOR!"

Also,

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Do an ep thats like I, Borg with Hugh but with a dalek and then the dalek becomes a companion for like 3 episodes

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Burkion posted:

Twelve will get one in Big Finish, I'm sure.

12 has been inside one already and also there's that entire thing where Davros brought him to Skarro.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AndyElusive posted:

12 has been inside one already and also there's that entire thing where Davros brought him to Skarro.

Let's see

One is a terrible rehash of a much better episode that never pays off in any meaningful way

The other is more just an excuse to talk to Davros and has almost nothing to do with the Daleks themselves, and is a pretty lovely episode all the way around.

No, no, I think 12 deserves a teeny bit better.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Burkion posted:

One is a terrible rehash of a much better episode that never pays off in any meaningful way

Rusty turns into a Dalek hating killing machine for billions of years and 12 goes to visit him in his holdout during his final episode . That's meaningful enough for me I guess.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

Riptor posted:

Do an ep thats like I, Borg with Hugh but with a dalek and then the dalek becomes a companion for like 3 episodes

I was really hoping for a dalek companion after Asylum of the Daleks but no. :(

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Dalek leaning against the crack on Trenzalore: "HIS! NAME! HIS! NAME! IS! THE! DOCTOR! ALL! THE! NAME! HE! NEEDS!. EVERYTHING! YOU-"

Time Lord General on the other side: "OK please just toss him some regeneration energy and close this thing up, I'm getting a headache"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Riptor posted:

I can see that happening and 13 just being so into friends and trusting that she doesn't even think to tell the other companions that Daleks are usually murderous nazis.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Maybe Thirteen will attack it like Eleven did in Victory of the Daleks? Think her reacting like that would shock the hell out of her friends.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Daleks are THE time to show the best of the Doctor.

I'm in, let's go.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it's a multi-Whittaker episode where a creature or a cataclysm or something traps Whittaker in a cavern for a thousand years and when she escapes Graham tells her "so Doc, you ready to get to work on that paradox?" and then both Whittakers fight whatever trapped her there

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jodie's fantastic and I like that the Doctor isn't this weird tyrant who barks imperious orders at the people who step into her magic box. The optimism is great and I don't want to see her go all Tennant revenge psycho or Matt Smith Batman, but I would like the writing to give her more opportunity for sadness or anger. Hell Bent has its issues, but Capaldi acting out the absolute torment of not being able to accept Clara's death is such an incredible thing to watch, his delivery of "I have a duty of care," is easily one of the most endearing moments for his character.

I think she does it best with how desperate she seems for her current companions to be her actual friends, and the struggle she has to do that without making them feel that she is condescending to them while still making sure to protect them, both from actual danger and from themselves. But there's more there, she's just got talent, and I want them to work with her full range.

Someone should have her read the Rings of Akhaten monologue at a convention.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

Daleks are THE time to show the best of the Doctor.

I'm in, let's go.

Man, I sort of think the Daleks are silly and hard to make scary, but this is weirdly true! Some of the big defining moments for One, Two, Four, Six, Nine, Ten and Twelve are all Dalek or Davros related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I would love to see the Doctor go hell bent into righteous fury, and have Graham, Ryan and Yaz be all :stare:, because they've only ever seen an optimistic weirdo.