Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Orv posted:

It has almost never worked because there will always be dozens if not hundreds of thousands of copies purchased by people who don't ever once read a "This is why you shouldn't buy this/support this company" post on the internet, and those only work if a large majority of the people aware of such things all don't buy it.

Genuinely all I can think of is like, Arkham Knight? as the only thing that sold so abysmally that the publisher was forced to recall it. And it wasn't even that it sold abysmally, everyone on earth bought it and then everyone on PC refunded.

AK actually worked out pretty well for me; I got it through GMG for like $40 on launch and then I got every single batman game for free when WB realized what a tire fire the game was.

It was cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

AK actually worked out pretty well for me; I got it through GMG for like $40 on launch and then I got every single batman game for free when WB realized what a tire fire the game was.

It was cool!

First against the wall.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
Unexplored is really cool. In addition to the great normal adventure mode, there's also 3 special 'scenario' game modes, at least 2 of which are great on their own. There's a LOTR mode where you're basically exploring Moria and competing on leaderboards to escape with the most gold, and there's an 'Alien' mode where you're clearing an alien-infested base armed with a rapid-fire crossbow and competing on aliens killed. I haven't tried out the 3rd mode yet but I bet it's good.

Also - there is actually a little bit of metaprogression - by completing certain in-game achievements you can unlock more options for your next run, usually by adding more items to the embarkation shop, and there are class-specific achievements you can get that unlock permanent bonuses for that class. There is also separate achievements & metaprogression for the alternate game modes e.g. moria/alien.

One of the best things about the dungeon generation is how the whole dungeon gets generated as a unified whole rather than just level by level. On floor 1 you may find books containing hints of useful items that appear several floors down. It's not just straight D1 -> D2 -> D3 either, there are often multiple branching paths, and some paths will have items that can be used in other paths, sometimes just to get through them, and sometimes to open up secrets or make a treasure trove accessible.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

.... I need it.

Hit me up if you need starting out tips (you probably will!) http://steamcommunity.com/id/cryomancer/

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Orv posted:

It has almost never worked because there will always be dozens if not hundreds of thousands of copies purchased by people who don't ever once read a "This is why you shouldn't buy this/support this company" post on the internet, and those only work if a large majority of the people aware of such things all don't buy it.

Genuinely all I can think of is like, Arkham Knight? as the only thing that sold so abysmally that the publisher was forced to recall it. And it wasn't even that it sold abysmally, everyone on earth bought it and then everyone on PC refunded.

might as well just buy things anyway, agree consumers

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Voting with your wallet isn't always pointless, but it is an inefficient way of effecting change since everybody has their own often irrational criteria for what constitutes boycott-worthy practice and it relies upon potentially millions of endpoint consumers to individually do the right thing rather than address systems that lead to the exploitative behavior you're boycotting.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

It was cool!

You paid $40 for a game and when it turned out to be an unplayable mess you got $20 in games as compensation

Like that's a nice gesture and all but wouldn't you rather the game just be playable the first time?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm only halfway through Episode 2 of Dusk but I have no qualms in saying that it's one of the greats. Like, up there with Quake and Half Life.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Unexplored is even better than you all might be thinking reading the words of super fans. That dungeon generation, actually creates obstacles that will require certain items to pass, and then makes a whole natural quest out of finding that item.

For example, you might read in a book that some guy was stopped on a certain level because there was a chasm he couldn’t cross. Then maybe a little later you find another note that mentions that there is a grappling hook or wand somewhere that can allow you to cross gaps, so now it’s either off to that sub level to find the magic item, or find another way to get past that gap. Maybe some labyrinth has breakable walls, and there is a bow of explosive arrows at the bottom some crypt full immortal undead foes. On the the way to it you might learn that hidden elsewhere is an obsidian knife that can kill them allowing you to get to the bow.

Not every gimmick is pulled in for every game, and that is one of the reasons this game is so good. Seriously, if you are one of those people that hate rogue likes because the dungeons always feel the same and all runs are predictable, Unexplored actually manages to procedurally generate poo poo that feels hand crafted.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Man beholder is loving garbage, how the gently caress did this game get a sequel?

QuarkJets posted:

You paid $40 for a game and when it turned out to be an unplayable mess you got $20 in games as compensation

Like that's a nice gesture and all but wouldn't you rather the game just be playable the first time?

My game was playable, actually. I got lucky!

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Senjuro posted:

Is there a way to remove the time limits in Katamari Damacy Reroll? I remember when playing the original that it was a little frustrating to never get the satisfaction of rolling up the entire level.

In the original they had Eternal stages without time limits that were unlocked by rolling a huge Katamari in the regular levels. Dunno if that's still the case in Reroll though.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Grapplejack posted:

Man beholder is loving garbage, how the gently caress did this game get a sequel?

The little Arstotzka landlord game? I had fun with it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GreyjoyBastard posted:

A crucial element in Unexplored is that you can pause at any time to figure out your next action. This is what made it playable rather than too challenging for my sluglike brain to handle.

also reinstalling it caused me to discover they released a free DLC in August, heck yeah

Is the combat basically twin-stick shooter style move and attack forever or do you get cool unique abilities? Are the classes actually distinct or are they just "the same thing but one active ability each is different" like so many action roguelikes?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
why the gently caress is alien isolation still $40, even without the expansion pass?

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

Mycroft Holmes posted:

why the gently caress is alien isolation still $40, even without the expansion pass?

it pops up frequently on some of the bundle sites.

i think it was bundlestars (now fanatical) where i bought it for under twenty and it came with everything there is to have.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Gotta jack up or keep the price high so that you can claim 90% off for the upcoming sales.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Are there any games with a vibe similar to Hitman? I really like planning, sneaking around, blending in, completing the objective, and extracting while all the NPCs are oblivious to what's happening. Some of the Payday stealth heists meet those criteria, but that's a whole different thing.

Also, is there no way to add Hitman 2 - Standard Edition to your wishlist? The base game is "free" but the actual levels are a separate purchase, and I'd like to be notified if it ever goes on sale.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lester Shy posted:

Are there any games with a vibe similar to Hitman? I really like planning, sneaking around, blending in, completing the objective, and extracting while all the NPCs are oblivious to what's happening. Some of the Payday stealth heists meet those criteria, but that's a whole different thing.

Also, is there no way to add Hitman 2 - Standard Edition to your wishlist? The base game is "free" but the actual levels are a separate purchase, and I'd like to be notified if it ever goes on sale.

Uh, I've assumed you play previous hitmans like Blood Money? Also, Dishonored 1 and 2 really can work with the planning, sneaking, and planning creative assassinations (or worse) if you haven't played them.

There's also Splinter Cell Blacklist which has some similar things, just much more shooty-mans but if you want to play sneaky and complete stuff you totally can and there are lot sof ways to do things suprisingly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You've also forgotten the various Thief games!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

how has there not been a Dishonored/Thief style Robin Hood game

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Lester Shy posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/2821/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

how has there not been a Dishonored/Thief style Robin Hood game

they called it Hitman for some reason

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Mordja posted:

I'm only halfway through Episode 2 of Dusk but I have no qualms in saying that it's one of the greats. Like, up there with Quake and Half Life.

Dusk is truly a standout game that just keeps getting better the further you go. It also has kickin' rad music.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Lester Shy posted:

The Death To Spies series is basically Janky Russian Hitman set in WW2 about a SMERSH agent (yes that SMERSH) doing what you'd expect. There's a third game called Alekhine's Gun but it had worse reviews from what I remember.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

Are there any games with a vibe similar to Hitman?
Party Hard is an insanely trimmed down version of Hit man on a 2D plane and with a really, stupendously-even-for-video-games stupid premise, but it should also be sub$3 during the steam sale next week

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Senjuro posted:

Is there a way to remove the time limits in Katamari Damacy Reroll? I remember when playing the original that it was a little frustrating to never get the satisfaction of rolling up the entire level.
Nobody's created a cheat engine table for it yet but I think it shouldn't be too impossible to use it to find where the timer is in memory and lock it down.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lester Shy posted:

There was a low-budget Hitman esque game that just came out recently or maybe its coming out soon or maybe I just read about it. It was sometime in the last week I think. I can't for the life of me remember any details about it and its driving me insane

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Nobody's created a cheat engine table for it yet but I think it shouldn't be too impossible to use it to find where the timer is in memory and lock it down.

messing with cheat engine is incredible fun

if katamary damacy reroll is anything like the original i'll gladly take the chance to set Time's Running Out Siren variable to "gently caress OFF"

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Did that Tokyo 42 or whatever have any of the sneaking and blending in or was it mostly just about sniping from building?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Knorth posted:

Did that Tokyo 42 or whatever have any of the sneaking and blending in or was it mostly just about sniping from building?

I kind of bounced off of it, but it was mostly a stealth twin-stick shooter. The stealth worked nicely and the art direction is great, but when you broke stealth and got into combat it felt like a mess to me.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ZearothK posted:

I kind of bounced off of it, but it was mostly a stealth twin-stick shooter. The stealth worked nicely and the art direction is great, but when you broke stealth and got into combat it felt like a mess to me.
At least for me the camera perspective made open combat really hard.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Anyone playing Ashen? It looks really neat so I would love to hear any impressions.

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Mycroft Holmes posted:

It's been on sale for $10 with expansions like 6 times in the last two months between Steam and the popular places.

I only know this because I want it but I keep chickening out because I know it's just gonna scare the poo poo out of me 30 seconds in and I'll never play it again.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Don't worry it takes like half an hour for the spooky to really get in gear.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

40Inch posted:

It's been on sale for $10 with expansions like 6 times in the last two months between Steam and the popular places.

I only know this because I want it but I keep chickening out because I know it's just gonna scare the poo poo out of me 30 seconds in and I'll never play it again.

Same, friend. I'm afraid I'm A Huge Bitch and therefore won't ever play the good game. I've seen it relatively cheap on sales, these things never get permanent massive price cuts, it seems.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The first hour of Alien Isolation is probably the strongest part of the game. Just all atmosphere and tension. Definitely the type of game you need to play with 3D headphones if at all possible.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I am a gigantic baby about horror games; I got 10 minutes into Amnesia and Outcast before uninstalling them, but I put 18 hours into Alien: Isolation. It's a fantastic game and very forgiving on the lower difficulty settings.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Lester Shy posted:

I am a gigantic baby about horror games; I got 10 minutes into Amnesia and Outcast before uninstalling them, but I put 18 hours into Alien: Isolation. It's a fantastic game and very forgiving on the lower difficulty settings.

*Outlast

Outcast is a classic non-edgelord game.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Lester Shy posted:

This thread is about stealth games more broadly, but I’d bet something in their would pique your interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There was a low-budget Hitman esque game that just came out recently or maybe its coming out soon or maybe I just read about it. It was sometime in the last week I think. I can't for the life of me remember any details about it and its driving me insane

The Slater?