Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's really just a matter of time before elong or a member of his family is killed by a tesla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

muscccccccccc

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
really struggling to see how an autonomous vehicle could handle a large roundabout.

e: this isn’t some “lol americans cant even into roundabouts” joke either.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 10, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1071939066533302273

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

that's definitely a responsible tweet that won't get anyone killed

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's really just a matter of time before elong or a member of his family is killed by a tesla
didn’t the guy who invented the Segway die in a Segway accident? there’s precedent

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Aunt Beth posted:

didn’t the guy who invented the Segway die in a Segway accident? there’s precedent

nah, it was the guy who bought out the rights to it and mass produced them

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
lolllll someone got coked up at Tesla and needed to make their sales numbers so they emailed a bunch of Model S leasees and said that they could end their lease early if they picked a new car before the end of the quarter, since the federal tax credit was decreasing next year. Noted App Developer Marco Arment took them up on this and got a new car.

Tesla forgot to tell their bank that they taken the cars back, and people just kept being billed for cars they didn't have. Marco said he was out over $7000, and when he called Tesla HQ, people hadn't heard from the guy who sent the promos out in months.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
finally a way to buy a car without all those shady dealership shenanigans

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

El_Elegante posted:

capitalism is working exactly as designed, the problem is that it’s ill suited for our reality

i was promised robber barons. rich pothead who wants to be sax russell when he grows up is not an adequate substitute

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
robber baron break-y bumpers

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

President Beep posted:

i like that your mind went here

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

to marco's credit he ends his whinefest by recognizing it's a clownshow company and he won't be buying another car from them.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

finally a way to buy a car without all those shady dealership shenanigans

my dealer said his former tesla customer just ate 12k off the cost of his trade in because welp, it may have worked in sf but it ain't up here :clint:

tesla's apparently don't hold value, who knew

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

oh man, i can't wait until they perfect those experimental features before enabling auto pilot in production cars

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

your Tesla will be able to self drive, unless it spots an emergency vehicle

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

your Tesla will be able to self drive, unless it spots an emergency vehicle

Now now, be fair - it will still drive once it spots an emergeny vehicle - straight into them

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
it's called an emergency vehicle for a reason, you know

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Can't wait to get sideswiped by an empty tesla

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

syscall girl posted:

my dealer said his former tesla customer just ate 12k off the cost of his trade in because welp, it may have worked in sf but it ain't up here :clint:

tesla's apparently don't hold value, who knew

EVs don't in general from what I can tell

buyers are probably rightfully nervous about maybe having to replace the batteries

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Munkeymon posted:

EVs don't in general from what I can tell

buyers are probably rightfully nervous about maybe having to replace the batteries

evs currently depreciate faster than similar ice vehicles but it’s not entirely clear how much that’s due to battery wear and how much just because the technology is evolving fast enough that nobody wants last years model with significantly shorter range even new

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

sir phobos, go beat some rear end

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
remember when it took him 8 years to complete his undergraduate degree

https://twitter.com/ravenvanderrave/status/1071835064030453761

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

He was learning twice as much for one degree, what a genius

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

remember when it took him 8 years to complete his undergraduate degree

https://twitter.com/ravenvanderrave/status/1071835064030453761

albert einstein could not even read and didn't even have a degree! also bill gates is actually a siphonophoric colony, akin to a portuguese manowar! he didnt' need college.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

also bill gates is actually a siphonophoric colony

lmao

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

President Beep posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

economics and physics is a weird fuckin combination

like the hardest of the hard sciences plus the softest of the soft. one professor being all "this effect is so subtle that we need to put the experiment at the bottom of a salt mine and shield it from the earth's magnetic field" and another all "we call these shoeleather costs because they model the personal cost of having your shoes wear out as you walk to the bank"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

"~*utility*~"

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sagebrush posted:

like the hardest of the hard sciences plus the softest of the soft. one professor being all "this effect is so subtle that we need to put the experiment at the bottom of a salt mine and shield it from the earth's magnetic field" and another all "we call these shoeleather costs because they model the personal cost of having your shoes wear out as you walk to the bank"

economists have math envy and will accept any simplifying assumption if it lets them play with fancy equations

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's like audiophiles. It's pseudoscience and they're making it up as they go but it's also fun to play with expensive toys.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

economics is mostly math, in a classroom filed with liberal arts students who top out at quadratic algebra

if you can do calculus, economics classes are the easiest As you'll ever get in college, you can just reason out the answers to all of the questions. i don't believe i attended more than 10% of the classes for my final econ class and I was so far above the curve that i could have gotten a zero on the final and passed the class (i did not get a zero on the final, so i wound up with an A+).

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
you’re so smart, and handsome too!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

El_Elegante posted:

you’re so smart, and handsome too!

this was not like the furious brilliance of my unparalleled mind doing something amazing, anyone else int he class who knew calculus coulda done the same thing. all of the difficulty in college econ classes are because most of the students don't know the math they need to know to make it easy. pity i don't recall any calculus anymore

basically, if you are passable enough at math to be doing a hard science degree an econ class is basically rocks for jocks-level GPA padding

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, i had to take a couple of econ classes in college and my big takeaways were (1) i can't believe we're trying to assign a mathematical value to concepts like "personal inconvenience" or "the desirability of a rolex," and (2) do the models seriously never get any more complicated than a line crossing a parabola?

i greatly enjoy correcting people who say "the nobel prize in economics" though

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Sagebrush posted:

i greatly enjoy correcting people who say "the nobel prize in economics" though

this is a great thing to do

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, i had to take a couple of econ classes in college and my big takeaways were (1) i can't believe we're trying to assign a mathematical value to concepts like "personal inconvenience" or "the desirability of a rolex," and (2) do the models seriously never get any more complicated than a line crossing a parabola?

same but it was AP Econ in high school for me. i remember the textbook carefully never saying the bad words “calculus” “derivative” or “integral”, presumably in an attempt to not scare the math phobics. as a result it and the coursework spent probably 10x too much verbiage and time describing the results of simple first year calculus, without ever providing a viable way to work anything out for yourself if you didn’t already know calculus. it was by far the easiest, most boring, and least informative AP course I did

at that age i still labored under the illusion that surely there was something more to econ if you pursued a degree in it so I just shrugged it off and kept believing in the invincibility of capitalist theory

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

evilweasel posted:

basically, if you are passable enough at math to be doing a hard science degree an econ class is basically rocks for jocks-level GPA padding
didnt u also study political science

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

economists have math envy and will accept any simplifying assumption if it lets them play with fancy equations

physics majors have math envy too.

applied equations? what is this, a trade school?