Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am pretty sure that ar will find a huge application in meeting software. "smart" whiteboards are unmitigated trash, but what remote meetings still need is some ways of actually naturally collaborate (e.g. sketch stuff out) in (what feels like) the same space

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

i tried out a vr headset over the weekend for the first time and while i was mildly impressed, it seemed like way too much work to get all the poo poo together.

yeah i get that. it took me about an hour to hook up my vive with everything, but i have a room dedicated just for my pc and vr so was a one time job. setting everything up every couple of days would suck balls.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Once VR shapes up the average person will either be paying all their money towards rent instead of just 70% of it, or they will be trying to survive climate apocalypse brought on by rampant capitalism.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Start advertising your bottles as the superior Molotov construction material imo

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I liked the moment in Ready Player One where the evil corporation guy was like, " So how many ads can we cram onto their VR screen before users start having seizures? "

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Our roommate was contract-hired by some seattle startup company that was supposedly making VR / AR medical tools for training something, and then after signing the contract they promptly stopped talking for like a month and haven't given her any work or payment and only respond to emails in short brief "we'll get back to you" messages so I assume they've imploded.

That's my niche VR application story thanks for listening.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

my take on vr is this: after HD tv was mandated and took off, tv manufacturers made bank selling everyone an upgrade from old rear end CRTs to new flatscreens. once everyone was upgraded, demand plummeted so they've been trying to come up with some other way sell cheap screens at huge profit. 3d tv, curved displays, most smart tvs failed to launch, but 4k and VR are seeming to stick a bit. but none of the hype or advancements in vr tech are demanded by consumers, it's all just an industry trying to recapture a one time event that got everyone to buy new tvs

4K is sticking because it's not a gimmick, just another incremental evolution. 10 years ago 720p displays were phased out as 1080p became the standard and now it's going to 4K. It doesn't carry a $1000 premium like the curved displays and doesn't require everyone to wear goofy glasses like 3D did.

Remember when companies thought that people would actually do this lol:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i had to warn my parents off of the 3d glasses gimmick tv in 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i had to warn my parents off of the 3d glasses gimmick tv in 2014

Most TVs with not-poo poo specs had 3d built in then, though.

Unless you mean buying 8 pairs of glasses for the grandkids.

The biggest loss of the 3d fad was fullscreen couch coop gaming. :rip:

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I make large scale abstract sculptures out of wood, and VR has been extremely helpful for me. I use a program called kodon to mock up ideas at the scale of my body without investing in a huge amount of wood blind, or devoting a month to a time consuming physical model, so I bought a vive. I realize that’s a pretty niche case tho and not what most consumers would want or need

that's cool as hell

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I loving hate the steak ums account and any other brand that tweets about anxiety or whatever. gently caress right off.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Muscle Wizard posted:

that's cool as hell

Muscle Wizard posted:

that's cool as hell

thanks! i think the program was designed for game artists working on character models and stuff, but it suits my needs. here’s a video in case anyone else in this thread is interest in virtual sculpting: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ffmbjYhBk_o

what I need to do soon is look into how I can get those files into maya or something similar; if I could divide the digital models into discrete slices I wouldn’t even have to puzzle out the wood construction, just trace the slices and glue and sand!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
that sounds like one of the cool actual uses people predicted for VR when we thought it would be good.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe it's just because I already know how to use CAD software but a VR modeling thing sounds like a pain in the rear end

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Pirate Radar posted:

that sounds like one of the cool actual uses people predicted for VR when we thought it would be good.

yea same.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Larry Parrish posted:

maybe it's just because I already know how to use CAD software but a VR modeling thing sounds like a pain in the rear end

it’s probably because you know cad. it’s way easier for me to pretend I’m “painting” with weightless clay. also everything I make is curved and has a lot of non-planar surfaces which might have other forms intersecting them, which I imagine would be even more complex to learn in a 2d context? idk, but being able to just visually erase/generate parts of the form by moving my hand through the air is extremely natural. again the way I use it is extremely niche tho, because I’m not making anything that has to move or bear weight for engineering reasons, so I privilege being able to create something from scratch quickly in a way that doesn’t interrupt the creative process when I inevitably do some wrong math or whatever. and it doesn’t matter if the work is sloppy or would need to be retouched to be a decent asset in a VR environment bc I don’t need that, it’s all planning for me. sort of a weird cyberpunk sketchbook

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tom Guycot posted:

Nah I mean, zuck is a weird awful robot, but at least on that front everyone at oculus and facebook was really vocal that it was a slow burn and not expected to take off this soon.

yeah, we were always pretty clear that moving large numbers of headsets with the first few generations was neither likely nor the goal. the hardware is just a necessary enabler for the FB VR strategy, and even just based on public statements that was always relatively obvious.

e: this is pretty much the case for Valve and other major players in the space as well, though using the term “strategy” with Valve is sort of misleading

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I make large scale abstract sculptures out of wood, and VR has been extremely helpful for me. I use a program called kodon to mock up ideas at the scale of my body without investing in a huge amount of wood blind, or devoting a month to a time consuming physical model, so I bought a vive. I realize that’s a pretty niche case tho and not what most consumers would want or need

Show us pics of your wood.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/mondomascots/status/1072317922427564038

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's advertising i can get behind. Take note advertisers.

You want me to buy your poo poo, come shovel my loving sidewalk.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Cup Noodle was invented to come up with something to do with all the loving wheat the US kept dumping in japan

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Cup Noodle was invented to come up with something to do with all the loving wheat the US kept dumping in japan

Nah, that was instant ramen.

Cup Noodle was a later innovation.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Larry Parrish posted:

For myself its really been a huge help. When I started doing photogrammetry stuff, I was using traditional desktop software to clean up the subsequent model, fix holes, retopology bumpier areas and stuff and it was a pain. Time consuming to the point of not bothering with some areas that weren't over the top obvious, even after spending a week working on something. Being able to use VR modeling software where it became like working clay with my hands has been amazing. Instead of trying to retopology a part, 2 seconds with a smoothing tool and it was done. Filling in something like a missing chair leg went from drawing in and lining up new geometry objects, to 3 seconds drawing in the shape with my hand.

I went from work that was looking more like this (which wasn't even finished as I still had a lot to do but was taking a break from working on).

To results like this, which wasn't even a serious effort, just a quick 5 minute test to make sure the workflow would allow me to import it back for retexturing.

Another interesting place I've seen use was a concept artist for a studio making some mech games, who previously spent months drawing things up, doing basic modeling to see if it worked, etc. Then he just did the design sketches of the cockpits directly from the perspective of someone in them while he sat in the chair, which he said it was now just taking just a week to do the designs. Just literally drawing the cockpit in around him so it all was the right scale and positioning from the start.

VR modeling is one of the places I can really see it take off in the future, just because its so freeing to have full 3 dimensional control of your work. Even substance painter a couple months ago showed a tease of some work there were doing on a seamless VR mode you could enter while working on a model, to paint things.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Bert Roberge posted:

Show us pics of your wood.

I’d be happy to pm you, I’m not sure I want my full name (tied to the something awfulwebsite) attached to this site more permanently than it already is lol! but really I’ll send you pics of my work if you message me

DragQueenofAngmar has issued a correction as of 05:48 on Dec 11, 2018

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

wizzardstaff posted:

Hey, remember Righter, the dating app that launched this month with the goal of connecting men and women to form traditional, right-wing relationships just like God and Ronald Reagan intended?

It’s charging 25 bucks a month to give you medical advice.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Lol Boomers are literally becoming Vampires that get their lifesource from Millennials.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

New season of Black Mirror looking good

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Rarity posted:

New season of Black Mirror looking good

I don't know who the showrunner for reality is, but letting Charlie Brooker write it for the last few years was a terrible idea, if only because we didn't even get a Wipe last year.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rondette posted:

Lol Boomers are literally becoming Vampires that get their lifesource from Millennials.

At least vampires had to do the hard work of finding people and doing all the work draining them, themselves.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Miftan posted:

I don't know who the showrunner for reality is, but letting Charlie Brooker write it for the last few years was a terrible idea, if only because we didn't even get a Wipe last year.

Wasn't it him with the original idea and scripts, along with some other people? I also miss his Wipes.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Rondette posted:

A vampire cannot enter your home unless invited, your boomer landlord most certainly can.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Sedisp posted:

A vampire cannot enter your home unless invited, your boomer landlord most certainly can.

Gotta have a home for them to enter first.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rondette posted:

becoming?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo that website is amazing

The first attempt to use "young blood" for anti-aging was by a Russian physician Dr. Bogdonov, who claimed impressive anti-aging effects from "young blood transfusions" in the 1920's. Unfortunately, the blood was not tested for malaria and blood type and he passed away.

The treatment takes approximately 3 hours during which time we start a small iv and typically transfuse 7 units of "young plasma" into the patient. It is unknown how often these treatments need to be done, but we recommend every 3 months as those young healing and growth factors are eventually lost within the body. Some patients with dementia receive monthly treatments to try and reverse or slow the neural damge.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

glad to see the spirit of elizabeth bathory lives on

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Can't wait for that company to be sued into dust due to rich patients getting cancer from injected stem cells. (And the people behind it getting off scot-free)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
gotta kill all the poor

but drain their blood first, can't let it go to waste