Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

I was sick as a dog yesterday and sat down to watch T24k (digital). About halfway through the biker scene i realized I did t see any grain. how much DNR did the film go through???

Too much. I guess there was only so much they could do with the transfer they had, although I'm no expert on these things. They were able to improve on Predator much more than they did with T2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

TheScott2K posted:

I recently bought Demolition Man with some Google survey money and despite my being in America got the version where "Taco Bell" is dubbed to "Pizza Hut."

Yeah, but that has its own goofy charm.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Shout is releasing Satoshi Kon’s Perfect Blue on blu-Ray for the first time in the US on Feb 26.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I hope the rest of Kon’s output comes out in short order. Other than Paprika, I don’t think any of his stuff ever came out on Blu-Ray in the States.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

For all the bullshit about physical media dying, this year has been pretty amazing for classic cinema on Blu-ray:

Criterion:
Young Mr. Lincoln
Elevator to the Gallows
Night of the Living Dead
Tom Jones
Women in Love
The Awful Truth
An Actor's Revenge
The Passion of Joan of Arc
King of Jazz
The Color of Pomegranates
Au hasard Balthazar
Manila in the Claws of Light
Memories of Underdevelopment
Moonrise
Heaven Can Wait
My Man Godfrey
Midnight Cowboy
Dietich & Von Sternberg in Hollywood
A Matter of Life and Death
Andrei Rublev
Ingmar Bergman's Cinema
Some Like It Hot
The Magnificent Ambersons
Forty Guns

Kino Lorber:
The Thomas Crown Affair
The Covered Wagon
Pink Panther cartoons (three volumes!)
The Outer Limits Seasons 1 and 2
The Lion in Winter
Running Wild/It's the Old Army Game (W.C. Fields silents)
A Fistful of Dynamite
The Outlaw
The Holy Mountain (Fanck/Riefenstahl)
The Maze
Stage Struck/Manhandled (Gloria Swanson silents)
The Sacrifice 4K restoration
A Fistful of Dollars
The Good Bad Man
The Martian Chronicles
Under Capricorn
The Woman in the Window
The Spiral Staircase
The Big Country
Irma La Douce
The Night Stalker/The Night Strangler
Old Ironsides
Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers

Warner Archive:
The Hanging Tree
Harper
Gun Crazy
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Billy Budd
The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
Superfly
Colussus of Rhodes
Village of the Damned
The Sea Hawk
Bunch of Hammer Draculas
Brewster McCloud
The Thing from Another World
Popeye the Sailor: 1940s Vol. 1
(plus UHDs from mainline Warner for 2001 and Superman: The Movie)

Shout! Factory:
Matinee
Colussus: The Forbin Project
It's Alive Trilogy
Curse of the Cat People
The Tingler
Strait-Jacket
The Blue Dahlia
The Glass Key
Murder by Death
Dracula: Prince of Darkness
(plus all the 80s and 90s cult classics)

Indicator:
Several volumes of Hammer films
William Castle at Columbia Vol. 1 and 2
The Passenger
Night of the Demon
Sam Fuller at Columbia
Randolph Scott Westerns

And a lot of others...

It Happened Here (BFI)
The Birth of a Nation (Twilight Time)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers '56 (Olive Signature)
Complete Classic Monsters Collection (Universal)
Little Annie Rooney (Flicker Alley)
This is Cinerama: Remastered (Flicker Alley)
Celebrating Mickey (Disney)
The Day of the Jackal (Arrow)

I know that's only some of this year's releases, but it's drat impressive. We even got The Beatles in hi-res 5.1.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

drat straight! 2019 is already looking real good too. I remember January this year being ho-hum, but we are getting The Plague Dogs, Screamers, Obsession, Notorious, Mickey & Nicky, In the Heat of the Night, The Appaloosa, Willie Dynamite, Waterworld (fully restored with new cuts!), a re-issue of Willow, and Double Dragon because why not! I’m glad I picked up a bunch of older stuff during these holiday sales, because 2019 is going to be an expensive year.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I was hyped to see The Holy Mountain on that list and then I saw it was the other one and was disappointed and then just for the hell of it I checked and the Jodorowsky one is back in print. This has been a roller coaster of emotion.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I hope the rest of Kon’s output comes out in short order. Other than Paprika, I don’t think any of his stuff ever came out on Blu-Ray in the States.

My dream is paranoia agent.

DVD collection has insane prices if I remember right.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Egbert Souse posted:

Indicator:

Sam Fuller at Columbia

I know that's only some of this year's releases, but it's drat impressive. We even got The Beatles in hi-res 5.1.

Any idea if this release is better than the 2012 DVD release?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-ubp-x700-streaming-4k-ultra-hd-hi-res-audio-wi-fi-built-in-blu-ray-player-black/6188345.p?skuId=6188345

Any reason to not grab this? Seems like a good price and supports Dolby Vision.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Just got my Twilight Zone blu from Amazon and the case is broken. Just glanced at it in the package but can see a big chunk missing on the bottom and cracks down the spine. Looks like it will fall apart if i open and vlose it a few times.

Any idea what my best option is? Contact support? Leave a negative review with pictures? ...?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Homeybeef posted:

Just got my Twilight Zone blu from Amazon and the case is broken. Just glanced at it in the package but can see a big chunk missing on the bottom and cracks down the spine. Looks like it will fall apart if i open and vlose it a few times.

Any idea what my best option is? Contact support? Leave a negative review with pictures? ...?
Just contact support. They'll refund or replace it really quick. They gave me $25 in credit yesterday because I reported that a locker wasn't working in chat while I did something else.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

That's a great deal. I guess I should have waited a month since that's the one I wanted, but the LG UBK90 was cheaper at the time with the same features.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Homeybeef posted:

Amazon's customer service is very accommodating and they'll almost certainly replace it if you tell them what happened.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Found a Half Price Books in North Atlanta that had a surprisingly nice selection. They had a lot of laserdiscs, though nothing I can't live without - almost got It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World for the artwork, but I'm not spending $30 on something I have a Blu-ray of already. Also had a few OOP Criterion DVDs for cheap, but all titles with better Blu-rays (like Straw Dogs). Ended up finding the soundtrack for 200 Motels for cheap. I think it's funny how pretty much ever used media store I go to tends to have a copy or two of the Criterion DVD of Armageddon.

By the way, Warner Archive's first volume of the color Popeye cartoons came out today and is already out of stock everywhere.

And apparently Warner will be offering a replacement for the 2001: A Space Odyssey UHD and remastered Blu-ray due to an error (the transition from the Russians on the space station to Floyd's shuttle is a hard cut instead of a fade-out/fade-in). No link or instructions yet, but apparently European customers have already received fixed discs.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Thanks for posting about the Samuel Fuller box, Egbert. I ordered it pretty much immediately, I love his films that I've seen.

Any other Indicator must buys from their back catalogue?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks posted:

Thanks for posting about the Samuel Fuller box, Egbert. I ordered it pretty much immediately, I love his films that I've seen.

My latest shipment should be waiting for me when I return from a work trip, but earlier this year I got The Lady from Shanghai and The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T, then pre-ordered William Castle at Columbia Vol. 1. It helps that they mostly do stuff from Sony since they're great about supplying high-quality masters, but the production quality is simply amazing.

The Castle set has gorgeous packaging. Thick cardboard case and all four films (Homicidal, The Tingler, 13 Ghosts, and Mr. Sardonicus) are in Criterion cases with original poster artwork and a booklet for each film. A+ masters. Even better, they found a rare 35mm print for The Tingler's color insert since Sony only has a 16mm reduction in poo poo quality. They also gave you the option to watch the regular version, drive-in version (with alternate audio for the film break), and the "first run theater" version with stereo effects during the film break. 13 Ghosts takes it further by using multi-angle and seamless branching so you can watch the B&W version, color tint version, or use the angle button to switch from "as-is" to "Ghost Viewer" to "Ghost Remover" instead of using tinted plastic glasses. Tons of extras. I haven't ordered the second volume yet (really only interested in Strait-Jacket), but it has three cuts of The Old Dark House (US/UK cuts, plus option of B&W or color).

The shipment I'm waiting on has Age of Consent (Michael Powell's last film), which has both the US and UK cuts, plus The Front, The Passenger, The Wild One, and The Last Detail.

From what I've read, the most popular releases of theirs have been the Hammer and Harryhausen sets. If I wasn't already maxed out for the year on backlog, I'd order more.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Amazon's customer service is very accommodating and they'll almost certainly replace it if you tell them what happened.

Reached out to cs and they are telling me I would need to return for a refund. Then if I reorder, they'll refund the difference in cost so I'd still get the sale price. Not the prefered outcome so far...

Edit: a different rep came on and said they wouldn't match the sale price if I reorder

Homeybeef fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 12, 2018

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Cloks posted:

In addition to everything Egbert suggested above, you should really check out their recent release of Night of the Demon. It’s arguably the most comprehensive release of a single film on Blu-Ray. Four cuts of the movie, an 80-page book, and near-countless hours of extras.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Homeybeef posted:

Reached out to cs and they are telling me I would need to return for a refund. Then if I reorder, they'll refund the difference in cost so I'd still get the sale price. Not the prefered outcome so far...

Edit: a different rep came on and said they wouldn't match the sale price if I reorder

I'm always hesitant to order stuff like that from Amazon because a lot of times they ship movies in a paper envelope with no padding in it. It's alright if you get one or two movies in regular cases but boxsets and anything with fancier packaging tends to get destroyed. It's all pretty random too because sometimes I've gotten a single blu-ray in a good sized box.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Kino just announced a new blu release of Mississippi Burning with a new 4k transfer.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

If you go into your orders, there's an option to return the item and it asks if you want a new one sent or the money refunded. The chat feature is horrible and everyone you talk to is usually a huge dick and you get responses like the one you received. Emailing them always gets a better result in my experience. Just email Amazon (search email Amazon, it gives you a link where you choose the order you're having a problem with), tell them that their chat response is completely unacceptable (which it is) and they will send you a new set and will either give you a link to a postage label to send the item back, or they'll tell you to throw it away.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Arrow Christmas Sale active until January 9th. Say goodbye to your spending money.

https://arrowfilms.com/shop/christmas-sale/?pi=1

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ultraviolence123 posted:

Arrow Christmas Sale active until January 9th. Say goodbye to your spending money.

https://arrowfilms.com/shop/christmas-sale/?pi=1

:rip: me.

I've never ordered from Arrow before, any suggestions?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Pace yourself

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

The biggest thing is for anyone outside region B to check region coding of anything you'd like to buy on blu-ray.com I find it more reliable than the information on Arrow's web store. Usually anything they've released in the US and UK will be the same disc for both regions and even with shipping their sales are usually a good deal for those of us in the US.

Recommended movies:
The Addiction
Shivers
Society
Irma Vep (region b locked, but it's the only blu release)
The Driller Killer
Lots of Bava and Argento if you're into that
Miike sets, Dead or Alive and Black Society Trilogy

If you're region B native then go nuts.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FancyMike posted:

The biggest thing is for anyone outside region B to check region coding of anything you'd like to buy on blu-ray.com I find it more reliable than the information on Arrow's web store. Usually anything they've released in the US and UK will be the same disc for both regions and even with shipping their sales are usually a good deal for those of us in the US.

Is this a factor since I use a UHD player, and this thread has mentioned that 4k is region free? Or does that only apply to UHD disks, I've been a bit confused by that :shrug:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Is this a factor since I use a UHD player, and this thread has mentioned that 4k is region free? Or does that only apply to UHD disks, I've been a bit confused by that :shrug:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the UHD player doesn't play discs from all regions, it's just that UHD releases are all region free so with UHD you just don't have to worry about it. But if you're playing regular blu rays it's still only going to play region A.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the UHD player doesn't play discs from all regions, it's just that UHD releases are all region free so with UHD you just don't have to worry about it. But if you're playing regular blu rays it's still only going to play region A.

That is my understanding as well, and one of the reasons I don't have a UHD player yet. If I'm going to buy a new expensive box just to play discs I would really prefer one that can play any disc on my shelf.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FancyMike posted:

That is my understanding as well, and one of the reasons I don't have a UHD player yet. If I'm going to buy a new expensive box just to play discs I would really prefer one that can play any disc on my shelf.

Yea I had a choice to make this year and I went with upgrading to my whole set-up to UHD, which meant I probably won't be going region free for a while after spending all that money.

One thing I didn't think about with UHD is that the novelty of it actually has a lot of staying power because I'm still watching regular blu rays on a regular basis. So I'll have a week where I don't really watch anything on UHD, then when I go back to it my eyes have adjusted back to 1080p and the extra resolution and HDR become extremely noticeable again. It's not like when I made the jump to blu ray and almost immediately retired my old DVDs, sure the upgrade in quality was more noticeable initially but then my eyes eventually adjusted and it became less impressive on a movie by movie basis. Funny how the brain works.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Iron Crowned posted:

Along with the ones already mentioned:

The Third Murder
The Long Good Friday
The Quiet Earth
Vigil
Sleeping Dogs
The Villainess
Dead End Drive-in
Withnail and I
The People Under the Stairs

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
also The Human Condition, Images, Miracle Mile, The Ox-Bow Incident, and The Conformist

Arrow good.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Ordered the Seijun Suzuki vol. 2 box. This thread is going to make me get a multiregion player.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Their job on Killer Klowns from Outer Space is Criterion-tier good. It looks so goddamn good.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Getting a multi-region player is just the right thing to do. It makes movie watching so much easier. It ruins your wallet though.

Because I like butts, I bought all the Tinto Brass titles on the sale.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
My 2001 UHD Steelbook hit shipped status from Best Buy. Looking forward to next Tuesday!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

trdn89 posted:

also The Human Condition, Images, Miracle Mile, The Ox-Bow Incident, and The Conformist

Arrow good.

:(

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Shock Treatment

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Shock Treatment

You got me so excited before I realized it's region b only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Don’t forget that North American Arrow releases are still 50% off at Barnes & Noble until January.