Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
So I'm a big Smiths fan but have never really had the urge to delve into Morrissey's solo stuff, that is until this most recent Smiths kick I've been on. He has a lot of material, are all his albums on an even keel or are some standouts and others kinda meh? Is there a good entry point or start from the beginning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Stelio Kontos posted:

So I'm a big Smiths fan but have never really had the urge to delve into Morrissey's solo stuff, that is until this most recent Smiths kick I've been on. He has a lot of material, are all his albums on an even keel or are some standouts and others kinda meh? Is there a good entry point or start from the beginning?

Given what a massive oval office Morrissey is these days, the only moral choice is to pirate everything he's done as a solo artist and make your own mind up.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 20, 2018

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

kingturnip posted:

Given what a massive oval office Morrissey is these days, the only moral choice is to pirate everything he's done as a solo artist and make your own mind up.

I use Spotify and don't really care about his personal life.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

His early work has a handful of late 80's/early 90's "hit alternative singles." If you're not too concerned about missing deep cuts off his first solo LP, then I'd jump in at Bona Drag. It was his second official release, but still has some heavy weight with "Suedehead" and "Everyday is Like Sunday" along with "November Spawned a Monster", and "Last of the Famous International Playboys." The thing about Morrissey solo, in my opinion, is that it took some trial and error before he settled on a sound that worked. It's readily apparent in his early releases what Marr was bringing to the table with The Smiths.

Your Arsenal brings a fully realized band to the table, and it's easily one of his most consistent sounding solo records. Definitely worth a listen. Vauxhall and I is probably my favorite solo release from him, with some stellar tracks ("Spring-Heeled Jim", "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself", "Speedway", and the opener "Now My Heart is Full" are all super good) and not really a bad moment on the record for me.

Post Vauxhall and I it really depends on how much you want to crawl up the Mozzer's arse. The follow up Southpaw Grammar was really weird, with some 10+ minute tracks heavy on instrumental passages. I remember owning Maladjusted and it being ultimately forgettable with a few tracks about Morrissey's pissiness over the legal proceedings between him and his ex-bandmates being the only thing memorable. The aughts and beyond have been hit or miss. He's settled into a glammy brit rock sound just nicely, but other than a few singles nothing every really heart hard for me.

TL;DR - Go for Bona Drag if you want the classic singles from his early solo output. Check out Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and for solid song writing. Keep digging into the later LP's and SEVERAL compilations if you just can't get enough of the dude.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Stelio Kontos posted:

I love The Smiths. I respect Morrissey's body of work, but I don't know it too well. That said, I like Viva Hate. I also like many of his singles after that ("First of the Gang," "Last of the Famous International Playboys," "Irish Blood English Heart") but nothing tops "Suedehead" and "Everyday Is Like Sunday," so that makes that album particularly enjoyable for me.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I’m the guy who prefers Morrisey’s solo work to The Smiths, it’s me. Viva Hate, Bona Drag, Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I are all stone cold classics.

That said, the low points of his solo work are far worse than the low points of The Smiths.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
There's a 3 CD set featuring all the singles from 88 to 95. There's a bunch of good b-sides you can't get anywhere else, and that will mean you can avoid a few compilations, including Bona Drag and World of Morrissey.

Your arsenal is a really good glam rock record, and is pretty strong throughout.

For the newer stuff:

You Are the Quarry was a pretty good come back, and is mostly strong throughout, featuring a more modest Morrissey.

Ringleader of the Tormentors has a few good songs, but they were all culled as singles. Beyond that, it's really dire with bad mixing and unmemorable songs.

Years of Refusal is really good, and despite some scary song titles, it's actually not really embarrassing.

And then something changed. Morrissey went off the deep end.

World Peace is None of Your Business has some good songs, especially on the deluxe edition, but some of the political songs are... disgusting. Like, the title track.

I didn't even listen to the last album since he's taken a turn for the far right and I just don't want to deal with a pissy 60 year old singer who is past his prime complaining about how he isn't on top of the charts and then running his mouth saying horrible things about sexual assaults and immigrants.

As he said in the 80s: you silly old man... Get off the stage.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Thank you all for the solid suggestions!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Can I get a listening order for getting into Bjork and her various bands? I've never really dived into her stuff, so I'd kinda like to know which albums to jump into first without just going chronologically. If there's stuff to avoid, lemme know what those are too?

If it helps, my favorite song of hers, and the one that inspired this post, is "Birthday" by The Sugar Cubes.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

Can I get a listening order for getting into Bjork and her various bands? I've never really dived into her stuff, so I'd kinda like to know which albums to jump into first without just going chronologically.
Ironically, that's the general recommendation with Bjork. The early stuff (Debut and Post) is more focused and she kinda spirals out into various styles from there.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Life's Too Good is the best Sugarcubes album and a very good place to start with them. For Bjork's solo career I think Post or Homogenic are good starting points, the former is the easier listen but the latter is her actual best album in my opinion (and a masterpiece frankly). Debut is fun but maybe a little dated as it leans a bit too much on the 90s dance sound.

Incidentally I've been on a Bjork kick myself the last week and Volta is a lot better than I remembered it being. It's not her best work by any means but there is some good stuff there. I feel like it might be underrated?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fenrir posted:

Ironically, that's the general recommendation with Bjork. The early stuff (Debut and Post) is more focused and she kinda spirals out into various styles from there.

Glare Seethe posted:

Life's Too Good is the best Sugarcubes album and a very good place to start with them. For Bjork's solo career I think Post or Homogenic are good starting points, the former is the easier listen but the latter is her actual best album in my opinion (and a masterpiece frankly). Debut is fun but maybe a little dated as it leans a bit too much on the 90s dance sound.

Incidentally I've been on a Bjork kick myself the last week and Volta is a lot better than I remembered it being. It's not her best work by any means but there is some good stuff there. I feel like it might be underrated?

Alright, then chronologically it is, with an emphasis on those albums. Thanks, friends.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Neurosis?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Neurosis?

Really any album from Souls at Zero through The Eye of Every Storm works fine but my personal favorite and their masterpiece is Through Silver and Blood. SaZ is when they started playing that style though and it rips.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

John Fahey?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

I started with America and it's probably still my favorite of the ones that I have (but that's only like five or six albums).

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Since they just added the catalog to Spotify...Bikini Kill?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Joose Caboose posted:

Since they just added the catalog to Spotify...Bikini Kill?

The Singles gives you their best stuff chronologically. Then move on to other Kathleen Hanna stuff, especially Le Tigre.

Then onto other awesome femi-punk bands like The Red Aunts or Sleater Kinney.

Then onto awesome modern femi-punk bands like Good Throb, Runt or Special Interest.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Japanese metal band Sigh?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alvarez IV posted:

That's a tricky one. Imaginary Sonicscape is the magnum opus. Scorn Defeat is the most raw and straightforward. Hangman's Hymn is the most aggressive.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's a tricky one. Imaginary Sonicscape is the magnum opus. Scorn Defeat is the most raw and straightforward. Hangman's Hymn is the most aggressive.

In Somniphobia is my favorite, it’s just so... bombastic.

Also it’s neat that the first letter of all their albums chronologically is S I G H S I G H S I G H... talk about sticking to a gimmick.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Alvarez IV posted:

Start with Scorn Defeat and then stop listening whenever they get too stupid and wacky for you

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
it's been like 30 years since i listened to sigh but i recall particularly liking hail horror hail and being kind meh on the rest

i think they were only up to G #2 at that point tho

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The other thing about Sigh is they don't even have like, a peak era or even eras with a particular sound. Hail Horror Hail -> Scenario IV -> Imaginary Sonicscape is the only group that all sounds like it's definitely the same band. I guess Scenes From Hell is like Hangman's Hymn with worse production but that's the only other time consecutive records sounded alike.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Calypso music? Totally new to the genre so hit me with the classics and/or people and groups you really like!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Calypso music? Totally new to the genre so hit me with the classics and/or people and groups you really like!

Harry Belafonte and David Rudder are the two biggest names. A meaty compilation is really all you need for either, though they have a lot of great hidden gems if you want to dig in. There's also Mighty Sparrow, and you've almost certainly heard some songs by David Johansen.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Any resources for finding live shows without waves of cell phone waving retards recording, obscuring, and ruining everything?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

baquerd posted:

Any resources for finding live shows without waves of cell phone waving retards recording, obscuring, and ruining everything?

See somebody crotchety like Neil Young or Jeff Mangum I guess.

One time I saw Mayhem and they specifically asked people not to use their phones. Someone pulled out a whole drat tablet and started filming while people threw stuff at him.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

baquerd posted:

Death metal. People still do that poo poo but they stand back or say off to the side so their phones don't get smashed in the pit.

starksfergie
Jul 24, 2007

I'm just content to relax and drown within myself
We just saw The The in San Francisco last month and the venue (Masonic) posted in a lot of places- before you came in/and once you were inside - that no cell phones were to be used and Matt was a little crotchety and actually called out a few specific people during the show (and when I say call out, I mean, he requested security deal with them) - there was a little rejoicing after he spoke up

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang
The Fall?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Early stuff - Grotesque, any Rough Trade singles collection (Superior Viaduct have one great coming up)
Mid years - Bend Sinister, Extricate
Later stuff - The Real New Fall LP

These are not the best ones necessarily, but are probably the most accessible.

Stuff for fans only - Totale's Turns, Levitate, Room to Live

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Coheed and Cambria?

The only songs I can think of that I've heard are Welcome Home & Unheavenly Creatures. I like the former much more than the latter.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

How about Jimi Tenor? I had the Cinema Dadaab EP from this year pop up in my feed and enjoyed it a lot. I also checked out the album w/ kabu kabu as well, same thing

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Intervision and Organism are the "important" albums but they sound preeetty late 90s so ymmv

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

kumba posted:

Coheed and Cambria?

The only songs I can think of that I've heard are Welcome Home & Unheavenly Creatures. I like the former much more than the latter.

good apollo i'm burning star iv is basically a greatest hits album and features, you guessed it, welcome home

from there if you want more heavy go forward and if you want less heavy go backwards

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Where do I start with Queens of the Stone Age?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Junpei posted:

Where do I start with Queens of the Stone Age?
Songs For The Deaf is probably their most accessible. It has No One Knows and Go With The Flow which you've likely already heard, but also other great songs like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS8LvHT_zcQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5BQLo4FXrc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJQYZG4sLbk

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Songs For The Deaf is probably their most accessible. It has No One Knows and Go With The Flow which you've likely already heard, but also other great songs like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS8LvHT_zcQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5BQLo4FXrc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJQYZG4sLbk

Seconding this. It and Rated R are generally considered the big Queens albums, although I think Like Clockwork is better than Rated R.

Also check out Kyuss if you don’t know them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yeah, Songs for the Deaf is the right place to start. Go back in time if you like the heavier bits, and forward if you like the poppier parts.