Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

dantheman650 posted:

You probably already lost the chance to negotiate higher but it can’t hurt. Even if they say “The range is x to y” you can still ask for more than y, or for additional benefits.

You've never lost a chance to negotiate if you're willing to walk away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

You've never lost a chance to negotiate if you're willing to walk away

Right, that’s why I said negotiate higher. Of course, I don’t meant there exactly 0% chance but that poster basically flipper their cards over before the bet.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I still haven't sent the recruiter my Resume yet (she contacted me via LinkedIn) so I highly doubt she's spoken to the actual company yet. I would imagine a chance to negotiate is on the table.

I don't NEED a job, I'd just like more money and I'm sick being bored out of my skull.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
At six year experience you should be targeting senior positions and 90k seems on the low end for any senior role.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

asur posted:

At six year experience you should be targeting senior positions and 90k seems on the low end for any senior role.

Six years, though? Really? My workplace is moving towards a new review/ladder system for engineers and the rubric says to expect to be in Engineer II for "multiple years", which on further digging seems to be 5~8. Though maybe that's impossible to compare...

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Advances happen faster if you're able to hop companies.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

asur posted:

As I said before, I live in a pretty poor region (WNY) so wages are lower than something like Boston, NYC, or California

Most Senior stuff looks for 10+ years experience, and I'm not so sure I can foot the bill just yet.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Six years, though? Really? My workplace is moving towards a new review/ladder system for engineers and the rubric says to expect to be in Engineer II for "multiple years", which on further digging seems to be 5~8. Though maybe that's impossible to compare...

Five to eight years for the first step up the later is ridiculously long. I've never been at or heard of a company that would wait that long to promote and I'd expect pretty much everyone to leave unless the allowed band for Eng I is ridiculously wide. I'd highly suggest looking around at year two or three.

I don't know WNY specifically, but 90k would be low in Cedar Rapids, nevermind any metropolitan area.

asur fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 11, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The precise level system varies across companies, but most places have a progression that roughly mirrors the analyst/associate/vice president structure that's common at financial institutions. You get a promotion every 2-3 years for showing up and being competent, and after you hit the vp-equivalent level you're not expected to keep moving up. "senior software engineer" is the most common title for that level, and that's highly unfortunate, but it's standard, so what're you gonna do?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
92k plus benies is what I have in newly minted Silicon Valley East Denver and it's clearly below median at this point. Title of Software Developer w/ 6 years experience is where I'm at. I'm working with my manager to get a promotion to Senior at end of year, but I'm out if they won't follow through.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

asur posted:

I don't know WNY specifically, but 90k would be low in Cedar Rapids, nevermind any metropolitan area.

You can buy a house in an okay town for like $70K here, so...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

asur posted:

Five to eight years for the first step up the later is ridiculously long. I've never been at or heard of a company that would wait that long to promote and I'd expect pretty much everyone to leave unless the allowed band for Eng I is ridiculously wide. I'd highly suggest looking around at year two or three.

I’d like to hear more about the typical progression for companies. I’d put myself around “sloppy and excitable Engineer II” and I wanna hit Senior, but I have a really hard time telling how “useful” I am. It feels like I should have gotten there already, so I wonder if I’m just delayed or something.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I’d like to hear more about the typical progression for companies. I’d put myself around “sloppy and excitable Engineer II” and I wanna hit Senior, but I have a really hard time telling how “useful” I am. It feels like I should have gotten there already, so I wonder if I’m just delayed or something.

I think for most companies the definition for the middle level is can execute independently and design small features with definied boundaries and then senior is can design a large feature or project where the requirements and technology are reasonably defined and leads several engineers to complete it. This is under the assumption that there are levels above senior which deal with large more abstract problems.

I'd expect something like 2-4 years for the first promotion and then another 2-4 for the second, though promotion to senior does rely on you actually getting opportunities to design which may not come along too often.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Remote work job search is going pretty well.

Monday I talked to the CTO of a company that I found a job ad for from a random recruiter on Linkedin, talked to the CEOs this morning. It's an adtech company which I don't love but they seem like a reasonable one. I got the recruiter to tell me pay range up to $110+benefits.

In addition to that lead, I applied to a bunch of jobs from various remote-only boards the other week and got one back with a technical screen. The tech screen was right at the edge of what I would consider unreasonable. I spent about five hours on it in total but I went way extra on a few of the questions, setting up documentation and test cases when the question was just "write a method that does x". They were happy with my responses and I'm talking to a group of four from that startup shortly.

Doing it all by phone is a lot of fun. I've had to really focus on making myself speak slowly and deliberately instead of firing off quick tangents that are easier to understand in person.

Everyone seems impressed by my resume, so thanks Goons for the feedback :)

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

asur posted:

*Maybe* if they are six years of quality work on good projects with appropriate technical complexity and good mentoring but LOL at anyone but the most fortunate lucking into that.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
$92k annual is below the median for Atlanta as a senior developer and the place is potentially worse than the Midwest for software jobs in terms of compensation and quality of employers. It’s partially because it’s mostly a Big Company town with tons of non-tech companies with deep pockets that are fighting over Georgia Tech students but also because many of the employers are in low margin industries to begin with like retail, media, and construction.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Off to a great start with this recruiter.

First job canceled my phone interview 12 minutes beforehand and hasn't replied yet for a follow up. They sent an email to the recruiter saying they needed to reschedule, and she forwarded that email to me 30 minutes after the scheduled interview.

I told the recruiter I wanted to only pursue one job at a time so that I'm not taking a ton of time off from work but she went ahead and sent my resume off to another job who wants to interview in person, but after giving them my availability they haven't responded :shrug:

Also she told the first job "Sab669 wants $85 but is flexible depending on benefits and opportunity". Bitch I never said I was flexible.

I hate job hunting, regardless of whether I'm working with a recruiter or not, but this particular one is really rubbing me the wrong way.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Careful Drums posted:

Remote work job search is going pretty well.

Monday I talked to the CTO of a company that I found a job ad for from a random recruiter on Linkedin, talked to the CEOs this morning. It's an adtech company which I don't love but they seem like a reasonable one. I got the recruiter to tell me pay range up to $110+benefits.

In addition to that lead, I applied to a bunch of jobs from various remote-only boards the other week and got one back with a technical screen. The tech screen was right at the edge of what I would consider unreasonable. I spent about five hours on it in total but I went way extra on a few of the questions, setting up documentation and test cases when the question was just "write a method that does x". They were happy with my responses and I'm talking to a group of four from that startup shortly.

Doing it all by phone is a lot of fun. I've had to really focus on making myself speak slowly and deliberately instead of firing off quick tangents that are easier to understand in person.

Everyone seems impressed by my resume, so thanks Goons for the feedback :)

I’d love to know which remote-only boards you’re using. I know of weworkremotely, but I feel like I’m exhausting sites like stackoverflow and indeed pretty quickly.

Good luck!!

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

manero posted:

I’d love to know which remote-only boards you’re using. I know of weworkremotely, but I feel like I’m exhausting sites like stackoverflow and indeed pretty quickly.

Good luck!!

Those are the major two, the rest has been scraping linkedin.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Paolomania posted:

*Maybe* if they are six years of quality work on good projects with appropriate technical complexity and good mentoring but LOL at anyone but the most fortunate lucking into that.

I literally landed a job with title 'Senior Software Engineer' and 95k salary in non-silicon valley with six years experience and a bachelor's degree. I feel like it's all fake - I'm not the dumbest kid ever but certainly not the brightest, but then I've been surprising myself with accomplishments ever since I started paying my own rent.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Careful Drums posted:

Those are the major two, the rest has been scraping linkedin.

Ahh, thanks. I was hoping there was some secret untapped source I didn't know of yet

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

manero posted:

Ahh, thanks. I was hoping there was some secret untapped source I didn't know of yet

I've gotten my last two remote jobs through, ironically, a regional users group for the language I work in.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Huh, so my career shift problem has sort of been solved for me . . . At work they want to move me into a new QA engineer type of position where I make test plans and requirements, do testing, set up and run test frameworks, etc. It feels a little weird since some of it is driven by the fact that I'm the weakest dev on the team, but since I was looking to move away from pure dev anyway it's overall a good thing I think, plus I already like writing tests and such more than everyone else.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think it can be quite good to acknowledge your limits, if they’re real and not just bad brains/colleagues

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Jaded Burnout posted:

I think it can be quite good to acknowledge your limits, if they’re real and not just bad brains/colleagues

It's more like the limits of my interests I guess. I could probably be a good dev if I enjoyed it enough to work at it but I don't really. I always liked writing unit tests though at the one place I did real TDD. We also just finally had management decide that we can't do without any testers/QA anymore so it all just kind of came together. I'm a little afraid that if it doesn't go well that they're going to let me go but there's not much I can do about that besides try my best at this thing I've never really done before I think? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

I'm a little afraid that if it doesn't go well that they're going to let me go but there's not much I can do about that besides try my best at this thing I've never really done before I think? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Welcome to the first 10 years of my career.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Jaded Burnout posted:

Welcome to the first 10 years of my career.

:hfive:

Although yeah honestly I guess that's kind of tech_jobs.txt.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Getting comfortable in your career means at least some degree of stagnation. I'm not saying you shouldn't ever feel comfortable -- if you enjoy the work, are sufficiently well-compensated for it, and are reasonably confident that there's long-term demand for your skills, then feel free to stagnate all you like. Just be aware that that's what you're doing.

Put another way: I'm ~15 years in and still get that occasional "oh god I don't know what I'm doing", and I rather expect that people with twice my experience still feel that way too.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah I think I was promoted to my level of incompetence a while back, or at least in a direction of incompetence, and went back to a more delivery role, where I've been happy raking in day rates for the last 5 years. It's kinda nice to often do things I know how to do rather than constantly battle the unknown, though there's a whole lot of that anyway, what with technology being how it is.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Remote job search update.

- small marketing company came in with an offer of $110 + benefits. I told them to give me a week. That was last Friday. Today I got another message from the 3rd-party recruiter emphasizing that they really want me. I'm not really jazzed for this job, because there is like one other person I'd be working with and digital marketing is kind of a boring gig. I'm not sure if I'll take it but if I do I'll ask for another 10-15k salary or a signing bonus.

- I passed small healthcare startups tech screen and technical phone interview with four other devs. Now they're asking to do another 2-hour live tech screen. I'm going to push back and say, no, you now know about where my skills are, take it or leave it.

- had a nice video call with medium sized healthcare startup this morning. it was with an internal recruiter so it was light on the technical details, but seems like a nice enough shop so far.

- got another video interview this afternoon with the ceo of a small consulting shop

Overall pretty good. I forgot how exhausting job searching can be. I'm a terrible liar, so I'm running myself into the ground trying to now blow my cover at my current job. I like my current job a lot, I just don't want to sit in my car for 2.5 hours every day when I could be at home helping my wife with the kids during that time. I'm going to push for more remote time at end-of-year-performance time, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Trying to come up with excuses for taking time off to interview is the loving worst.

I like the idea of a Full Time Remote job, but I fear for my productivity / employment stability.

How do you guys keep yourself focused when working from home?

I had a job for 1.5 years where my boss worked in an office in a different state, so I could work from home whenever I wanted. Before long I was virtually playing video games all day. I got my work done, and the company was very poorly managed and I was heavily under-utilized but I'm afraid of falling into that trap of getting comfy slacking off. I was on a rolling six month contract and they decided not to renew me because they were massively downsizing IT / shipping work overseas - but I'm sure if I was more aggressive about getting work assigned they probably would have kept me :shrug:

I had my first interview today. The hours are worse (8-5 instead of 7:30-4:30), the commute is about the same distance but potentially worse because its location, and the retirement plan is not very generous (they'll match 33% of what I contribute, up to 5%) and I'd lose about 5 days of PTO. But if it's a 30% raise, that's a lot of loving money.

Unfortunately with the holiday season, companies are slow to move on anything so my first interview for another job was scheduled after the new year.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sab669 posted:

Trying to come up with excuses for taking time off to interview is the loving worst.

I like the idea of a Full Time Remote job, but I fear for my productivity / employment stability.

I've never had a problem staying focused as long as there was something to do, but this is what I've heard from colleagues who work from home:

It helps to have a room you can work in that is not the same room as your personal PC or entertainment systems. An office that you only use for work is best. If you really don't like working from home, there are co-work locations/businesses that will rent you an office or cubicle. From what I've heard, its a lot like going into an office except most of the other people there work for other companies. Alternatively, you can work out of your local Starbucks or other coffee shop. Your local library would probably be fine with you camping out there too as long as you are quiet (I do this sometimes).

It helps to keep a regular schedule. Start and stop work at the same time every day and similarly break for lunch at a consistent time. Don't get in the habit of snacking all day.

Do try and be more visible on whatever IMs your company uses. It helps reassure people you are working (my current boss is remote and is always afk on our IM service. It drives me nuts and more than once has wasted half a day).

Promptly answer emails. If you're asked a question that will take more than half an hour to answer, let the person know that you're looking into it. If you are otherwise tempted to slack off, this gives you a time commitment.

Set personal goals for what you want to accomplish at the start of every day. (I do this when I work in the office too and it not only makes me more productive but also helps counter boredom when I'm working on something stupid or pointless).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Mostly, I don't.

I've seen a lot of people mention LLSix's approach of strict delineation, but it's never worked for me. Instead I tend to smear my work and home lives into each other such that I'm able to follow whatever I'm in the mood for at any given moment. So I might be working at 5am or midnight, but maybe I'm at the supermarket at 2pm and doing a site visit with a contractor at 11am.

Recently I've been working evenings and weekends for another client as well, so I've had to put more focus into making sure I'm doing a reasonable amount of work during the day, which for me really just means making sure I'm up and dressed and in my office by 9, and sticking some twitch stream or whatever on in the background to hold my attention while I'm waiting on things.

I did used to make sure I left the house for lunch but these days I don't bother. I've been working from home almost exclusively for the past 2 and a half years, and I'm not sure I could ever go back.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

Mostly, I don't.

I've seen a lot of people mention LLSix's approach of strict delineation, but it's never worked for me. Instead I tend to smear my work and home lives into each other such that I'm able to follow whatever I'm in the mood for at any given moment. So I might be working at 5am or midnight, but maybe I'm at the supermarket at 2pm and doing a site visit with a contractor at 11am.

Recently I've been working evenings and weekends for another client as well, so I've had to put more focus into making sure I'm doing a reasonable amount of work during the day, which for me really just means making sure I'm up and dressed and in my office by 9, and sticking some twitch stream or whatever on in the background to hold my attention while I'm waiting on things.

I did used to make sure I left the house for lunch but these days I don't bother. I've been working from home almost exclusively for the past 2 and a half years, and I'm not sure I could ever go back.

Yeah, a lot of people swear by the 'pretend its a real job just in your house' thing and it doesn't work for me at all. I'd wager it's an excellent thing to do initially when working remotely though, to ease the transition a bit.

I do the same mix of work and not-work as Jaded (even though my job is FTE with a single company, pretty sure Jaded is contracting). I'll go skiing some mornings, or run errands in the middle of the day, or take my dogs on a hike as often as I'll do work at 9pm or on Saturday morning -- none of that is crunch-time because I *have* to, but because I just get the inspiration to do some work then. Probably when I was out hiking with my dogs, I was lost in thought mulling over work stuff, so I come back ready to crush it. I mostly work 9-6 weekdays, but it's very flexible in practice. As for external expectations: people just expect you to do your work, and make the meetings you RSVP to. Working a strict 9-6/whatever is just as acceptable as not.

The biggest benefit to me is that I'm a thousand times more happy and productive and engaged because I'm not sitting in a stupid office, trying to look busy just long enough to make it to quitting time. If I'm not feeling it, I just don't do work, instead of pretending to do work. You know that thing where you go to lunch, and then get back to your desk and are like nodding off? That literally never happens if you aren't trapped in a stupid airless office and are just living your normal day to day life which includes doing work that people pay you money for. It's insane that remote work has any detractors whatsoever (excepting if it personally isn't a good fit for the worker, which is absolutely reasonable).

It definitely helps to be an introvert, or have enough non-work social outlets, but majority remote companies usually have a really healthy amount of watercooler/community stuff going on in any case. My majority remote 500 person company has a buzzing slack with plenty of offtopic/hobby/social stuff, almost 24/7.

>6 years and I'm literally never going back into an office as long as I have a choice.

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 19, 2018

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Perennial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co_DNpTMKXk

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

...That literally never happens if you aren't trapped in a stupid airless office and are just living your normal day to day life which includes doing work that people pay you money for. It's insane that remote work has any detractors whatsoever (excepting if it personally isn't a good fit for the worker, which is absolutely reasonable).

It definitely helps to be an introvert, or have enough non-work social outlets, but majority remote companies usually have a really healthy amount of watercooler/community stuff going on in any case. My majority remote 500 person company has a buzzing slack with plenty of offtopic/hobby/social stuff, almost 24/7.

>6 years and I'm literally never going back into an office as long as I have a choice.

I'm at >2 years remote and this is exactly it. I get my work done because working remote is such a quality-of-life improvement that I will do whatever is asked of me to keep doing it. At first I did the whole "act like you are at an office" thing which got me in a good rhythm, but now it's much more loosey-goosey. Usually I'll work for a big chunk of the morning starting at around 8am, end up taking a long lunch/gym session and be back in time to do a few more hours in the afternoon. I'll stop sometime around 6pm or whenever I need to start cooking dinner.

As for productivity, for a while I tracked using the pomodoro method to make sure I was getting enough hours of strictly coding in, but now I just set a daily accomplishment goal. We use a kanban style system so I will try to break each feature into day-sized chunks, and give myself a rough deadline of when I should finish. We also have a daily update channel in our chat program so there's a subtle pressure there to make your update sound good, which I also use to keep me on task.

I just also find the whole "all your time is free time" to be very motivating. For example, today I had a deliverable due by EOD for one of our sales guys. By working on it through lunch, I was able to finish by about 2pm and then I just took the rest of the afternoon off. If I were in an office, I probably would've let it eat up the whole day.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNz82r5nyUw

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I spent an unreasonable amount of time this morning trying to get my logitech webcam's audio to work nicely. At first it sounded like poo poo, then I installed the management app for it from logitech, and it sounded great, but only when I used that Logitech app to shoot a test video.

I had to go into device manager, disable the laptop's mic, and reboot a hundred times before it started sounding right on Skype. I think it made a difference because both chats today went well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

http://conferencecall.biz/