Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Kenning posted:

Awesome! It's a great punch. It's so satisfying to keeping spreading the Good News.

Forgot to ask earlier - when you say "2 bottles cognac", I took that to mean 2x 750 ml, and scaled appropriately. Is that correct? It worked out well.

FWIW, I found that amount to work out to "serves 30" at 6 oz per serving. Does that sound accurate enough to add to the Trello board?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Does PX sherry normally taste almost entirely like raisins, or is that just an Osborne thing? It's not bad, just very one-note; none of the buttery, nutty flavors I get from other sherries are there.

Either way, are there any cocktails where PX really shines? It's sweet enough to stand in for simple syrup, so my plan for now is to just swap it into different recipes and see how it goes.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Yes the predominant taste of PX sherry is going to be raisins because it's raisin wine

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yes the predominant taste of PX sherry is going to be raisins because it's raisin wine

Man, you really showed me :jerkbag:

Yes, I get that it's a raisin wine. I'm asking whether the bottle I picked up is especially one-dimensional compared to other PX sherries.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

Man, you really showed me :jerkbag:

It was a joke, amigo.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fart Car '97 posted:

It was a joke, amigo.

My bad for misreading the tone, then. A lot of your posts in this thread come off, at least to me, as kind of aloof and put out with everyone here, so that's the light I saw this one in. I legitimately hope that's just been an extended misunderstanding on my part.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

I legitimately hope that's just been an extended misunderstanding on my part.

It wasn't intended to be, but I hope most people catch on that posts about slamming lovely old fashioneds at airports at 10:00am amid serious "there is a perfect old fashioned and this is it" discussion have a certain amount levity implied. PX sherry tastes like raisins. They all do. Some have some better depth to them, but few are really going to approach the levels of complexity that the other main style of sherry do. Osborne is very competent bodega and I'm sure theirs is very representative of the style as a whole.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Man, I love being a lazy bastard sometimes.

I've been asked to make a gingerbread martini (I shudder). What I am doing? gently caress it, making dark n stormies in martini glasses, garnishing with a mini candy cane. Boom.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fart Car '97 posted:

It wasn't intended to be, but I hope most people catch on that posts about slamming lovely old fashioneds at airports at 10:00am amid serious "there is a perfect old fashioned and this is it" discussion have a certain amount levity implied. PX sherry tastes like raisins. They all do. Some have some better depth to them, but few are really going to approach the levels of complexity that the other main style of sherry do. Osborne is very competent bodega and I'm sure theirs is very representative of the style as a whole.

Nah, I was with you on that one. In any case, I'm glad I was mistaken, and I appreciate you still answering my question. Have you got a favorite use for the stuff?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man, I love being a lazy bastard sometimes.

I've been asked to make a gingerbread martini (I shudder). What I am doing? gently caress it, making dark n stormies in martini glasses, garnishing with a mini candy cane. Boom.

My first thought was an actual martini with a low-juniper gin and with a dash of ginger bitters and cinnamon or cardamom bitters. Yours is honestly probably closer to what they want, though. If cinnamon-flavored candy canes come in mini sizes, that would probably play nicer than peppermint canes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Toast Museum posted:

Nah, I was with you on that one. In any case, I'm glad I was mistaken, and I appreciate you still answering my question. Have you got a favorite use for the stuff?

My first thought was an actual martini with a low-juniper gin and with a dash of ginger bitters and cinnamon or cardamom bitters. Yours is honestly probably closer to what they want, though. If cinnamon-flavored candy canes come in mini sizes, that would probably play nicer than peppermint canes.

Thanks man! I'll see if I can get em

And frankly, I'm making a damned good punch, even if it's not recognized, so I am allowed to cheat on the martini

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
If I don’t l know what to do with an ingredient, I try subbing it in for it’s analog in a drink I do like. I would swap it out for either dry or sweet vermouth in a martini or manhattan and see how you like it. I don’t have a lot of experience with sherry, but cobblers are nice and easy to punch up with fresh fruit or amaro or other modifiers. I also had a drink on our last menu that was gin, sherry, sour (orange, lemon, lime), contratto aperitif (similar ish to aperol), ango, and our housemade whiskey-cherry syrup that was bonkers good. It’s manzanilla sherry though.

Or try it in an old fashioned or a dark n stormy

edit for posterity:
Matador Sling
2 dashes Ango
.75oz cherry syrup
1 oz sour mix
1 oz gin
1 oz manzanilla sherry
Shake, orange twist, cherry

(Infuse bourbon with cherries for a couple weeks. Remove cherries, fill up a mason jar with them, and cover in Demerara sugar. Let sit, agitating daily, for 5ish days until sugar is dissolved. Keep the cherries in the syrup to preserve and use the syrup for mixing)
(Sour mix is 2:1:1 oj:lemon:lime)

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 10, 2018

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

PX Sherry isn't really and analogue to vermouth, it's closer to a liqueur or syrup.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

PX Sherry isn't really and analogue to vermouth, it's closer to a liqueur or syrup.

Ah. Perfect for an Old Fashioned with muddled orange and gin then!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm the guy who always advocates O3. I don't use any of DeKuyper's ordinary bottom-shelf range.

I'm generally pretty impressed with Lazzaroni's offerings. Their amaretto is genuinely competitive with DiSaronno in quality at a lower price range. But their triple sec? Skip it.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

This is wildly incorrect.

I had a drink on the last menu that was blackberries smushed into PX sherry, soak, strain, then shake with Wild Turkey 101. Strain, serve in a coupe.

The other one that pops into my head went into our cookbook and is more summery, but it was 2 strawberry infused Evan Williams black label and .75 PX, give a little swizzle in a glass with crushed ice, mound crushed ice on top, dashes of ango over til it looks like a snowcone, then mint bouquet, a strawberry, a blueberry and a raspberry. Sift powdered sugar on the top.

And yeah, sounds like you got a lame bottle or maybe it got cooked at some point in the shipping process. I like Bodega Yuste Aurora or Alvear for cocktail making, Toro Albala and Hidalgo for sipping.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 11, 2018

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I obviously can't speak to any bottles but the one I've got, but it definitely is more of a syrup substitute than a vermouth substitute (though I've done that with other sherries and enjoyed it).

Since we've been talking about Old Fashioneds, I went ahead and tried a barspoon or so of the PX with Rittenhouse and some orange bitters, and I'm not mad at it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

This is wildly incorrect.

How so? PX is much sweeter, thicker, and richer than vermouth. Carpano Antica has just under 200g/l of sugar, compared to most PX sherries clocking in between 300-400g/l which is about the same as your average creme de whatever.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 11, 2018

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
The purpose of syrups and liqueurs is to add texture as well as sweetness; although a reductive and oxidized wine, PX has nowhere near the viscosity or unctuousness of a syrup. To use as a 1:1 replacement is likely to leave your finished cocktail very lacking.

Also, works great as a swap for vermouth or aromatized wines, just be sure to balance the sweetness.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 11, 2018

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

The purpose of syrups and liqueurs is to add texture as well as sweetness; although a reductive and oxidized wine, PX has nowhere near the viscosity or unctuousness of a syrup. To use as a 1:1 replacement is likely to leave your finished cocktail very lacking.

Also, works great as a swap for vermouth or aromatized wines, just be sure to balance the sweetness.

Of course it's going to be lacking in some areas, very few things are a perfect replacement when making substitutions, but is it really "wildly inaccurate"? How is needing to control for sweetness fundamentally different than needing to control for texture? I'd argue it's not, and I maintain that it's closer in spirit to a liqueur than a vermouth. Maybe it's more accurate to say that PX lies somewhere between the two? but telling people that's saying it's akin to a liqueur as a sub is "wildly inaccurate" is just...wrong, at best no less wrong than saying it's a sub for vermouth.

E: I'd point to this article, of which there are many similar ones written, that list a number of recipes from great places: every one of which is using it as a liqueur or syrup, and the one recipe that does use it as a vermouth is using Dry Sack, which is a 78% olorosso/Amontillado, 22% PX blend.

https://punchdrink.com/articles/bringing-it-back-bar-pedro-ximinez-px-sherry-wine-cocktail-recipes/

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 12, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Any good mint cocktails for a holiday party you guys wanna recommend?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Any good mint cocktails for a holiday party you guys wanna recommend?

A grasshopper is what comes immediately to mind.

Would you rather something less sweet?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm more of a brandy Stinger guy myself.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
The stinger is one of the best of those mid century cheesy drinks.

I also like a Good Night, Irene which is the modernized version by (I think) Audrey Saunders: instead of brandy and creme de menthe, use wheated overproof bourbon and branca menta.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
A Southside is a good choice too, you probably already have the gin and lemon. Very easy to make it seasonal with some spiced syrup or (real) grenadine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I mixed up a Midori and rye, and I think skipping the sugar and adding a tiny bit of lemon juice is the best way to go about it. Midori is so sickly sweet that adding any more sugar to the mixture is just weird and you'll want to try and reduce it as much as possible to get something that doesn't taste like medicine.

I've decided to start calling it a Rawhide Kobayashi.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thanks guys I think I will make Southsides, Grasshoppers and Stingers for my friend's birthday

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think you'd really lose the mint in a Southside made with grenadine.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Maybe, I’ve never tried it. Pomegranate and mint is a good combo though. If you garnish with mint you can’t really lose it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

BrianBoitano posted:

Forgot to ask earlier - when you say "2 bottles cognac", I took that to mean 2x 750 ml, and scaled appropriately. Is that correct? It worked out well.

FWIW, I found that amount to work out to "serves 30" at 6 oz per serving. Does that sound accurate enough to add to the Trello board?

Yeah, it's two 750 ml bottles. Being the first recipe I wrote up here I wasn't as precise as I got later.

I prefer to measure punches in terms of servings of alcohol, rather than fluid ounces. By my measure, Admiral Russell's has about 40 servings, which I would say is good for 25 people at a work party, 20 people if it's a relaxed workplace on a Friday, 15 for a nice proper evening party among friends, or 10 people at a wedding.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've made a second version of the Rawhide Kobayashi, but adjusted the proportions because I've found that the typical "Midori and rye cocktail" recipe is way too sickly sweet. So far I've settled on 2 ounces of rye, 1/2 ounce of Midori, and 3 dashes of orange bitters. It's still got some noticeable Midori taste but is much drier in flavor profile and doesn't come out neon green.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
why are you doing this to yourself, midori is hella terrible

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

poop dood posted:

why are you doing this to yourself, midori is hella terrible

Midori is hella terrible when it's used as the primary flavor in a drink. It can actually be useful if you use it in small amounts and counter the sickly sweetness.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

chitoryu12 posted:

I've made a second version of the Rawhide Kobayashi, but adjusted the proportions because I've found that the typical "Midori and rye cocktail" recipe is way too sickly sweet. So far I've settled on 2 ounces of rye, 1/2 ounce of Midori, and 3 dashes of orange bitters. It's still got some noticeable Midori taste but is much drier in flavor profile and doesn't come out neon green.

If you want an X and Rye cocktail, grab some Nocino (black walnut liqueur) and enjoy

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Archenteron posted:

If you want an X and Rye cocktail, grab some Nocino (black walnut liqueur) and enjoy

I had an Old #88 made with bourbon, walnut liqueur, and maple syrup. It tastes like a brownie.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I like how some bartenders poo poo all over stuff like SoCo or Malibu or whatever schnapps, then immediately turn around and use Midori in a cocktail

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 16, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I really don't see the point in Midori for any other reason than its unique colour. It's obviously artificially flavoured, like cheap blue curacao, and carries an ineradicable bad synthetic flavour.

For dramatically coloured cocktails, thank God for Campari and creme de violette.

Archenteron posted:

I wasn't able to get any walnuts in time to make it last year, but my friends just bought a house with a huge yard full of walnut trees.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 16, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

chitoryu12 posted:

I had an Old #88 made with bourbon, walnut liqueur, and maple syrup. It tastes like a brownie.

Googling didn't result in any recipes. What's an old 88?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

Googling didn't result in any recipes. What's an old 88?

It’s from The Woods in Orlando. Redemption Wheated Bourbon, black walnut Bitters, Averell Danson Gin Liqueur, maple syrup, lemon.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Halloween Jack posted:

I really don't see the point in Midori for any other reason than its unique colour. It's obviously artificially flavoured...

Not actually the case, as I’ve learned. Made from real melons and French brandy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lots of stuff is made with a process really far from artisinal small batch products but still doesn't get poo poo on for it. Laird's Applejack blends apple brandy with neutral grain spirits to lower the cost but still shows up in tons of craft cocktails. Here's an article on Midori production. Real melons infused into neutral spirit, then mixed with French brandy.

I don't take the view that any ingredient is totally worthless. Midori may have gotten a bad rap through its use in Midori-focused sweet cocktails decades ago, but there's no reason we can't balance the sweetness to utilize the melon flavor.