Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Hobo Clown posted:

It's a little confusing because the game railroads you into being an rear end in a top hat on those missions for the first couple chapters, you can't stop even when you start feeling guilty about it, so when the game starts getting super heavy into the "Arthur wants to try to be a good person before he dies" you just assume that not interacting with Strauss at all is the better way to go. Not sure how they could've done it differently, though.

This game has a lot of false choice in it.

After recruiting Sadie in the beginning I figured that recruiting strangers in to your gang of outlaws would be a huge part of the game that fleshed out the camp mechanics and gave depth to your actions in the game. I didn't recruit anyone else, so I'm presuming that it just isn't a mechanic in the game?

You can go low honour, but does that do much? Apparently you get cheaper items in stores if you go high honour, and there's one mission that is gated behind high honour. Does low honour just make you act like a dick in cutscenes?

In missions you'll get the choice of going first or getting someone like Charles to go first, but the mission plays out the same way.

The one that bothers me the most is quicktime events in missions, especially when it just seems to resume the cutscene and doesn't give you any alternative. Like you can press the button and continue playing the game, or not press the button and sit there at the prompt for the rest of your life while the game waits for you to press the play button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

last night i blew up an entire posse with a single stick of dynamite which as it turns out was cool and good :clint:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I found a cauldron of mystery liquid out in the woods. I drank it, passed out, and woke up 50 feet away seemingly no worse for wear. Is there something more to it or that it?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Upmarket Mango posted:

I found a cauldron of mystery liquid out in the woods. I drank it, passed out, and woke up 50 feet away seemingly no worse for wear. Is there something more to it or that it?

you'll find out in chapter 6 tuberculosis

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Taking over a whole town from the rooftops with a couple buddies online is pretty chill.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

rap music posted:

you'll find out in chapter 6 tuberculosis

I don't understand. I'm in the epilogue now and Arthur said he got it from beating that debtor to death.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Upmarket Mango posted:

I don't understand. I'm in the epilogue now and Arthur said he got it from beating that debtor to death.

It's a joke. The witch's cauldron is just a spooky easter egg.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Sulphagnist posted:

It's a joke. The witch's cauldron is just a spooky easter egg.

Oooooh :downs:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I'm confused at what chapter/epilogue I'm in. I thought I was still in chapter 5, but I just did

The mission Red Dead Redemption and I went off with Sadie to rescue Abigail and killed that Pinkerton dude and then Arthur was coughing and sitting down and I got on my horse and a song was playing and it told me to hold down X to ride but I was playing for like 2 hours at this point and I had to leave and power down my PS4 and take it with me so I have no idea where it saved or where I will start up. It seemed like the missions just started one after the other and I could never stop to save because it was grayed out.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

AxeManiac posted:

I'm confused at what chapter/epilogue I'm in. I thought I was still in chapter 5, but I just did

The mission Red Dead Redemption and I went off with Sadie to rescue Abigail and killed that Pinkerton dude and then Arthur was coughing and sitting down and I got on my horse and a song was playing and it told me to hold down X to ride but I was playing for like 2 hours at this point and I had to leave and power down my PS4 and take it with me so I have no idea where it saved or where I will start up. It seemed like the missions just started one after the other and I could never stop to save because it was grayed out.

Yeah you're pretty much in Arthur's endgame

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

AxeManiac posted:

chapter 5 ends when you and the boys leave your island vacation

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

You're at the end of chapter 6 and yeah once you're in the final mission chain it just keeps going until it ends.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
:( I never went fishing with that one legged guy - REGRETS

also if my save was before all that started I don't mind playing those missions again, they are great.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I think I'm around the end of chapter 6 and every mission devolving into an overlong shootout is starting to get super draining. I get that to some extent it's a shooter but it's just the same structure over and over and over. I'd love to go a few hours without shooting hundreds of dudes.

What even is this complaint? Shootin' dudes is the main draw of this dang game! :clint:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Upmarket Mango posted:

If you go to the tippy top north west corner of the map you'll find an old lady in a cabin with some pooches a witch?!?maybe...kinda

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

AndyElusive posted:

What even is this complaint? Shootin' dudes is the main draw of this dang game! :clint:

I do get the disconnect between wanting to empathize with Arthur and make him a good guy, but I think it just hammers home the fact that Arthur can be good, just his situation is always bad. I really, really don't want Arthur to have to be bad, I feel bad for him. It's pretty incredible and a drastic change from just me feeling bad about doing bad stuff. I completely care about Arthur's struggle and we are both kinda helpless to change it, we gotta keep filling graves.

I played RDR1 so I know I can't, but holy hell, I want Arthur to murder the gently caress outta Dutch. There was one point where he was riding everyone into Saint Denis to rob the train and going on about loyalty and that if anyone wanted out they should leave, so I just rode my horse away and then everyone stopped and started yelling and me to get back and then Dutch said in a normal voice "Now as I was saying" and then went right back into his insane yelling loyalty rant

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey some kids in St Denis robbed me of a couple hundred. Is there a chance to get that back? Do I need to murder every kid I see in town?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

AxeManiac posted:

also if my save was before all that started I don't mind playing those missions again, they are great.

If you can, I would heavily recommend you go fishing and hunting once with the veteran before the end game. He'll invite you to hunt again after the first hunt - go to him after the end game. I was recommended this by someone on the Internet and I do agree it feels like it was scripted to be played this particular way.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

AxeManiac posted:

I played RDR1 so I know I can't, but holy hell, I want Arthur to murder the gently caress outta Dutch. There was one point where he was riding everyone into Saint Denis to rob the train and going on about loyalty and that if anyone wanted out they should leave, so I just rode my horse away and then everyone stopped and started yelling and me to get back and then Dutch said in a normal voice "Now as I was saying" and then went right back into his insane yelling loyalty rant

That's actually hilarious and goes along with how full of poo poo Dutch is.

Epilogue finale: Arthur didn't get to do it, but man spamming RB at Micah's face in dead eye was cathartic as hell. Nothing left but mush for Agent Ross to poke through.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AxeManiac posted:

When does he offer? Is this the guy in Rhodes? I've talked to him several times and he never invited me fishing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

Epilogue finale: Arthur didn't get to do it, but man spamming RB at Micah's face in dead eye was cathartic as hell. Nothing left but mush for Agent Ross to poke through.

Ya I mashed the trigger so hard at that exact moment that I think I need a new controller now.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

When does he offer? Is this the guy in Rhodes? I've talked to him several times and he never invited me fishing.

His horse has to run off with his leg, stranding him next to a rock pretty close to where his house is first. Then you gotta get it back to him. Next time he'll take you fishin.

edit: oh nm you're talking about a different stranger mission I guess.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 10, 2018

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Someone else, not the beggar guy in Rhodes. Stranger mission up north, should appear on the map in Chapter 6.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Hobo Clown posted:

Someone else, not the beggar guy in Rhodes. Stranger mission up north, should appear on the map in Chapter 6.

Horse named "Buell." Big old dumb horse spooked real easy by a snake.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Chapter 5 spoilers:

I loved the loving island, the ocean crashing against the shore and everything else. There's no way I get to go back is there? If no, gently caress Rockstar having these amazing set pieces that are only used for roughly an hour of gameplay. I want a game just set in that area that isn't Assassin's Creed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

It's partially that at this point in the game, I feel like a lot of what Arthur does in missions clashes really hard with where he is at mentally in the story, and also just on a gameplay level I'm kind of trying to wrap up the story because I've been playing the game for over a month now, and it always just shootout after shootout in the story missions and some variety would be nice.

I've also found it frustrating how hard it is to avoid killing people, even when the game seems to present it as an option. Like, simple stuff like commandeering a stage coach for a mission. I'm not trying to be a total pacifist or anything, but I wish I felt like there were more options than lighting everyone up, in every situation.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Horse named "Buell." Big old dumb horse spooked real easy by a snake.

Chapter 6 finale: I was cleaning up Stranger quests before getting to the end and so I got Buell right before the last mission. I'm sure Arthur's tearful "thank you" to his trusty dying horse is a sad moment but not when it's this new dumbass I haven't even bonded past level 2 yet. :(

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Before I waste a lot of time to fill this out, does anyone know if a current RDO price sheet exists?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Before I waste a lot of time to fill this out, does anyone know if a current RDO price sheet exists?

Yes, I can link you...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1whWr6wnY_6xSrDw_W4Q02BnSGoic01ar_sfPAIOcifM/edit?usp=drive_web&ouid=113624094341149260424

It doesn't have everything but its a drat good start

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 10, 2018

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Hobo Clown posted:

Chapter 6 finale: I was cleaning up Stranger quests before getting to the end and so I got Buell right before the last mission. I'm sure Arthur's tearful "thank you" to his trusty dying horse is a sad moment but not when it's this new dumbass I haven't even bonded past level 2 yet. :(

This part still pissed me off. My White Arabian survived far worse than one stray bullet from some Pinkerton rear end in a top hat. Why couldn't I just give the drat horse to John so he could escape on it? I was extra sad knowing that Buell and the first horse who saw me through the first couple chapters apparently overstayed their welcome in the stable and were turned into glue. In general it pisses me off when a developer makes something happen in a cutscene that's totally out of sync with gameplay. I had hand-crafted special horse revivers, for gently caress's sake.

I'm going on vacation for a couple weeks so maybe I'll want to wrap up all the epilogue to-dos when I'm back. Right now it's :effort:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Diabetic posted:

Chapter 5 spoilers:

I loved the loving island, the ocean crashing against the shore and everything else. There's no way I get to go back is there? If no, gently caress Rockstar having these amazing set pieces that are only used for roughly an hour of gameplay. I want a game just set in that area that isn't Assassin's Creed.

I hope you can, I didn't spend much time because I had nothing and a snake bit me and I needed a cure I didn't have and anytime I found anything cool the local police force would swarm on me and ruin it. I just wanna go exploring that area drat it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

piratepilates posted:

You can go low honour, but does that do much? Apparently you get cheaper items in stores if you go high honour, and there's one mission that is gated behind high honour. Does low honour just make you act like a dick in cutscenes?

The only time I know of where honour actually affects your cutscenes is in the Chapter 6 mission "The Fine Art of Conversation". The ending cutscene changes depending on if you have high honour, low honour, or high honour and having done a certain stranger mission.

As for actual gameplay effects, with low honour you loot more money and valuables off of dead bounty hunters and lawmen, and kill cams are more frequent and are in black and white instead of sepia toned. There are also supposed to be unique revolver grips locked behind high and low honour but they don't unlock properly, at least for my save. I got the low honour exclusive grip when I had maxed out high honour during the story, and I've never seen the high honour grip in my save file.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

AxeManiac posted:

I hope you can, I didn't spend much time because I had nothing and a snake bit me and I needed a cure I didn't have and anytime I found anything cool the local police force would swarm on me and ruin it. I just wanna go exploring that area drat it.

I don't think there is that much to the area tbh. it's much smaller than it looks. Although the game never really gives you a chance to fully explore the plantation.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Ch5 I am possibly the only person who absolutely loathes Guarma (and Mexico on RDR1) because of the godawful voice direction/script translation for that section, so I was grateful to find out it took like an hour and half tops to clear, went through it in a rush just to get the gently caress out asap. It's really exasperating to see all the care given on portraying specific accents for everyone in general (hell, Javier's new VA can sing corridos decently enough! That was cool too!) and the dialogue quirks, and then they go to fake Cuba and the spanish script turns into a horribly directed mess, with stilted as hell accents, people reading insults as if they were reading names off the phone book, and translated lines with idioms out of loving Google Translate. The only good things Guarma has over Mexico is that it's way shorter and the place's prettier to look at

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I loved Guarma but was also happy that it was a short segment. Thought it was really cool to have a drastic change of scenery for a bit.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Also while you're at filling compendiums, I stumbled upon this browser script for Rockstar Social Club's Compendium. It adds locations for every thing in the compendium, reveals all the stuff you haven't seen yet, and adds filters so you can focus on what you're missing if you're in the hunt for cheevos. I imagine the companion app has something similar, but these additions really make the compendium easier to browse.

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/67386-tool-v010-huskys-compendium-helper-automatic-tracking-for-zoologist-skin-deep-progress-and-more/

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Hobo Clown posted:

I tried going white hat on the (Chapter 4?) bounty mission where the guy asks for a second to say goodbye to his family before you take him. I was waiting for an option to tell him he can go, but after he talks to them he just stands there yelling at you to tie him up. By the time I figured out nothing is gonna happen I pulled out the lasso but then him and his family all run away. No dialogue or anything so it didn't seem like this was supposed to happen, so I chased after and got him. I think that actually broke part of the quest because I read later that what he tells his son is to go get help and they set up a trap along your route, but none of that happened and the guy didn't speak to Arthur the entire ride to the jail.

Yeah, that happens. First he tries to play up being a good fella before he manages to slip free from his ropes and hops off your horse, so you have to chase him down and tie him up again. If you let him have a moment with his family that's when his friends show up and you have to fight them off before taking him to jail. I was playing white hat too and that dried up any sympathy I might've had, haha.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

veni veni veni posted:

I loved Guarma but was also happy that it was a short segment. Thought it was really cool to have a drastic change of scenery for a bit.

I liked it and thought it was really gorgeous, but its also such a weird little segment. You shipwreck on not-Cuba, get taken prisoner by a plantation owner, murder all the guards on the island, murder what must be at least a hundred spanish soldiers, destroy a navy destroyer, and then make your way back to america like it was nothing at all, and then everyone back home just talks about it like you went on vacation to cabo for a weekend. As soon as its over you're just back to the main story drive, and this huge event is just forgotten about.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

piratepilates posted:

I liked it and thought it was really gorgeous, but its also such a weird little segment. You shipwreck on not-Cuba, get taken prisoner by a plantation owner, murder all the guards on the island, murder what must be at least a hundred spanish soldiers, destroy a navy destroyer, and then make your way back to america like it was nothing at all, and then everyone back home just talks about it like you went on vacation to cabo for a weekend. As soon as its over you're just back to the main story drive, and this huge event is just forgotten about.

Hercules and his gang of freedom fighting Haitian pirates own, and I was hoping to see way more of them

Maybe we will see more of Guarma in online?

Isn't Mexico's map already in the game and can be accessed by glitch or something?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

piratepilates posted:

While it feels a bit jarring and out of place, I figured it's there at least partly to drive home that Dutch's plan of living on some tropical island is crazy and would be rife with problems similar to what has happened on Guarma - lots of local struggle and bloodshed between workers and an American-aligned business interest that Dutch would inevitably get embroiled in.