Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
this is why whenever a server tells me something that should be painfully obvious about a dish i just smile and nod. they have to cover their bases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Any suggestions on how to keep beans, rice, gravey, and cheese on a hot line? My beans and rice dry out, the gravey starts to seperate and the condensation waters it down, and the cheese crust on the side. Ive been told to put the stuff in a plastic bag then my 6 pan. No space for a rice cooker etc, has to go on this line spot.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Are they directly in a hot well, or are you using a sorta 'double-boiler-with-six-pans' method?

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Fill well with water, put 6 pans and those cross bars in.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

ApolloSuna posted:

Ive been told to put the stuff in a plastic bag then my 6 pan.

The way my work solves this is to fill the well, put bars and metal six pans in(heat conductive) THEN put some hot water in the six pans, and plastic(won't radiate heat out the top) six pans inside the metal six pans, as well as a lid on top.

And maybe turn the hot well down a bit once its hot? If gravy's seperating it probably means its a touch too hot. Basically the plastic bag, only with containers meant for each other's shape.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Sounds like your steam table is a bit too hot, as well as what everyone else has said. Beans will dry out, that's just a thing that happens, just make sure to hit them with a bit of hot water (or stock or whatever you cook them in originally) and give them a stir every once in a while. Gravy splitting and cheese crusting (provided you're keeping a lid on them) is likely just due to too much heat.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Lids too

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
The problem with the heat is everything runs about 150 when I temp it and health department says keep poo poo at 165+. Seems like the gravey problem is water condensation and adding into it.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Ah. Then your solution is the Hollandaise Solution - make a second batch halfway into service, after _x_ hours in the danger zone. Half size container, heat up a second pan later in the shift.

That seems a bit conservative, though - isn't it 'reheat to 165 for 15 seconds for all poultry/seafood products, a little less for pork/beef', then 'hold at 140+?'

This is worth checking up on your state's food regulations. I suspect your health department is giving you slightly incorrect but related information. Where are you located?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

TheParadigm posted:

Ah. Then your solution is the Hollandaise Solution - make a second batch halfway into service, after _x_ hours in the danger zone. Half size container, heat up a second pan later in the shift.

That seems a bit conservative, though - isn't it 'reheat to 165 for 15 seconds for all poultry/seafood products, a little less for pork/beef', then 'hold at 140+?'

This is worth checking up on your state's food regulations. I suspect your health department is giving you slightly incorrect but related information. Where are you located?

yeah, seconding this

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
It's 165 for 15secs reheat, hot hold at 140+. No state/city regulation differs on this, afaik.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Only difference I've ever heard of was the 40 vs 41 degrees for cold storage.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

It's sub 42. i.e., 41 and below is acceptable. Realistically, you should be sub 40. If you've got things that hover close to 42, I'd recommend a time/temp HACCP log. Temp AM/PM, and hopefully discard at the end of service. Anything hovering around 42 isn't going to last very long.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
My state is under 41, so 40. It varies.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012
So I have never worked in a real professional kitchen, other than a coffee/sandwich shop where I washed dishes in high school. I have loads of accounting and income tax experience, though, and as a favor to a friend I agreed to take a look at how his parents are doing their accounting for their small family restaurant.

It, uh, it turns out that they’re basically not. They have a box they throw receipts in and they write personal checks for payroll based on multiplying the hours on a handwritten paper time card by their hourly wage. There is no attempt to determine food cost, as far as I can tell, and they get around withholding for their employees by claiming they’re all contractors (super, super illegal, but the employees haven’t had a problem with it yet because no one in the joint is making enough money to risk an audit).

My friend and I recognize that this is way over our heads and his parents need professional help squaring this up, but the parents are insisting that there’s no real need to change and a professional would be “too expensive”. Do any of you have suggestions for how to pitch this better other than “how the gently caress do you not need to know how much it costs you to produce a plate of food”?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Back away slowly.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

bloody ghost titty posted:

Back away slowly.

Oh that’s definitely happening. I just wanted to see if I could give this poor bastard any wisdom on how to get his parents on board with...not breaking so many tax laws, I guess?

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Phrase it on the money they save. Income - all cost of doing business = income they are taxed on. Can still do the 1099/contract thing thats not illigal in theory.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

bloody ghost titty posted:

Back away quickly.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

ApolloSuna posted:

Phrase it on the money they save. Income - all cost of doing business = income they are taxed on. Can still do the 1099/contract thing thats not illigal in theory.

There are very specific rules and tests to call someone an independent contractor and waitstaff do not meet them. Making employees contractors to dodge your responsibility as an employer to withhold federal and FICA taxes is literally a federal crime.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sweet Custom Van posted:

Oh that’s definitely happening. I just wanted to see if I could give this poor bastard any wisdom on how to get his parents on board with...not breaking so many tax laws, I guess?

Ahahahaha.

I once worked somewhere that literally just gave me $64 dollars cash everyday (min wage was $8 bucks, so 8x8, but I usually didn't work a full 8). This was front of house, we also had our best busser disappear, no notice. 2 weeks later he was back, he'd been deported. Didn't ask how he got back in the country.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Ahahahaha.

I once worked somewhere that literally just gave me $64 dollars cash everyday (min wage was $8 bucks, so 8x8, but I usually didn't work a full 8). This was front of house, we also had our best busser disappear, no notice. 2 weeks later he was back, he'd been deported. Didn't ask how he got back in the country.

I know that shady things happen in any business, but I guess I just assumed that this restaurant was too small to see much benefit in the “gently caress with the federal government’s revenue stream” cost-benefit analysis. But I suppose if every dollar you make is effectively untaxed, it’s easier to think you’re doing well?

Why is it untaxed? Because they haven’t filed federal or state taxes since 2014. My friend is currently split between hysterical laughter and making sure his name isn’t on -anything- involving the restaurant.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sweet Custom Van posted:

I know that shady things happen in any business, but I guess I just assumed that this restaurant was too small to see much benefit in the “gently caress with the federal government’s revenue stream” cost-benefit analysis. But I suppose if every dollar you make is effectively untaxed, it’s easier to think you’re doing well?

Why is it untaxed? Because they haven’t filed federal or state taxes since 2014. My friend is currently split between hysterical laughter and making sure his name isn’t on -anything- involving the restaurant.

Well unfortunately for them the directive of Trump's IRS is to go after small fish more so the rich are not "treated unfairly."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yeah they need a real accountant asap. If they come to the IRS on bended knee it will hurt, but maybe not full on bankruptcy hurt like it will when they get caught.

And they -will- get caught. Not filing returns as a business is a huge flag that says easy fines.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018

Sweet Custom Van posted:

There are very specific rules and tests to call someone an independent contractor and waitstaff do not meet them. Making employees contractors to dodge your responsibility as an employer to withhold federal and FICA taxes is literally a federal crime.

Yeah thats why I was like in theory but its been a while since I read on contractors. Curious how strippers get away with it tho. But yeah this whole thing sounds like a mess.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

ApolloSuna posted:

Yeah thats why I was like in theory but its been a while since I read on contractors. Curious how strippers get away with it tho. But yeah this whole thing sounds like a mess.

The first and most important rule is that in order to be an independent contractor the employee must fully control the time and location of their work. A dancer can decide exactly what times, days, and clubs she wants to work, but waitstaff is told “you will work Saturday night from 4 to close”.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
So heres a question for everyone. Im considering jumping out of the industry. Whats a good way to condense all of the restaurant work in one blop on your resume? Also, how much of a pay cut did you take? How did you get certification in anything else while working 7 days a week all day?

For something industry specific: How do I bring up the fact Im salary for 40 hours a week, get schedule for 43ish, then have to do all the other stuff? Theres a lot of admin work that has gotten pushed aside but its like why the gently caress do I have to do another 20+ hours to organize it then the 3-4 hours a week updates without getting paid for it?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah they need a real accountant asap. If they come to the IRS on bended knee it will hurt, but maybe not full on bankruptcy hurt like it will when they get caught.

And they -will- get caught. Not filing returns as a business is a huge flag that says easy fines.

Alternately they can do a favorite from my old neighborhood. Skip out of the country for a few months, re-enter illegally then start the immigration process with a new name as the new owner of a shut down business your "cousin" used to run before leaving the country.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ApolloSuna posted:

So heres a question for everyone. Im considering jumping out of the industry. Whats a good way to condense all of the restaurant work in one blop on your resume? Also, how much of a pay cut did you take? How did you get certification in anything else while working 7 days a week all day?

For something industry specific: How do I bring up the fact Im salary for 40 hours a week, get schedule for 43ish, then have to do all the other stuff? Theres a lot of admin work that has gotten pushed aside but its like why the gently caress do I have to do another 20+ hours to organize it then the 3-4 hours a week updates without getting paid for it?

I translated my experience into people and inventory management, work to spec under time pressure, and multitasking.

As for pay, I've been out five years and quite literally make 5x what I did in the industry managing computer janitors.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
I just came into work and they stepped up and cleaned the walkin today. Apparently that also includes throwing out the cambros of stock.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

ApolloSuna posted:

I just came into work and they stepped up and cleaned the walkin today. Apparently that also includes throwing out the cambros of stock.

For as short as it is, this post is one hell of a roller coaster ride.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ApolloSuna posted:

Did you just turn around and walk back out?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Liquid Communism posted:

I translated my experience into people and inventory management, work to spec under time pressure, and multitasking.

this is exactly what i did, the inventory management thing is what caught the eye of the person who ended up hiring me

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
"hey guy can you make sure to pull the stock pot at close?
"Yeah sure"
*Next morning*
"Wow... Weird why did he save the bones and dead carrots.... WAIT WHY DID HE ONLY SAVE THE BONES AND DEAD CARROTS"

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

pile of brown posted:

"hey guy can you make sure to pull the stock pot at close?
"Yeah sure"
*Next morning*
"Wow... Weird why did he save the bones and dead carrots.... WAIT WHY DID HE ONLY SAVE THE BONES AND DEAD CARROTS"

I'm missing a joke here, I'm sure.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I'm sure that happened at least once somewhere, and a young chef learned why all of his previous chefs over the years spoke to him as if he had no culinary experience whatsoever, despite his great resume.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm missing a joke here, I'm sure.

Stock is liquid. Shriveled poo poo is what you just spent the last 12-24 hours simmering and grabbing flavor from. You grab flavor from collecting scraps over days up to months. My pork stock that was scrapped was from bones etc saved from 2+ months of smoked, etc pork. 9 sets of scraps from 9 different meals that took 1-2 days each to make blended together just thrown out? You cant get that flavor from adding a pinch more salt.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I'll admit, I almost did that once. Exhausted at the end of a string of 14hr days, it's the last thing on the prep list and I just want to go home, throw a strainer over a sink, go to grab the pot, and oh poo poo wait, what the gently caress am I doing?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
So here's maybe a weird question: Should cooks with terrible hearing go find something else to do for a living or should I spend the rest of my working life apologizing porque no escucho bien? I'm not an idiot. I just can't loving hear you. Kitchen environments can get very noisy and some people habitually speak very softly. No esta bien para mi.

Know of any successful half-deaf cooks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Animal-Mother posted:

So here's maybe a weird question: Should cooks with terrible hearing go find something else to do for a living or should I spend the rest of my working life apologizing porque no escucho bien? I'm not an idiot. I just can't loving hear you. Kitchen environments can get very noisy and some people habitually speak very softly. No esta bien para mi.

Know of any successful half-deaf cooks?

There are places that are quieter. Most catering companies I've worked for have less noise/more space so noise is less of an issue. Same with if you go work in a hospital or a retirement home or some other more institutional place. Barring that, just smaller restaurants where it's you and another person rather than a line of 8 people.