Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Certain fancy moves may net you 100 bucks in a game (from some mysterious benefactor), but the idea’s the same.

The link I think is to what became the several currencies in current video games. The benefactor is the house/game itself. Inserting a coin to play is a currency exchanger for however many green mushrooms. All right I’m tracking I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Corrosion posted:

Mario Bros! Yeah, that got turned into a mini game in Mario 3 as well! But the points thing in Super Mario Bros is all I am trying to get at the abstraction of, it seems like they drop points but that's like pulling out cartoon lint.

There's an arcade version of Super Mario Bros called Super Mario Bros Vs. My pediatrician had it back in the day. You can buy it on the Switch now.

I'm going on an actual real vacation on Thursday with my girlfriend. Gonna be the first vacation out of town I've taken in my adult life. Goddamn the economy sucks.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's an arcade version of Super Mario Bros called Super Mario Bros Vs. My pediatrician had it back in the day. You can buy it on the Switch now.

I was just referring to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly8DofqCuOs

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm aware of Mario Brothers.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Gripweed posted:

lol Morphix had a freakout here too? Last week he had a meltdown in the Chapo Trap House thread because one of the hosts started a new podcast with his girlfriend.

Is the girlfriend underage?

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Sorry, I was also aware of there being an arcade version of Super Mario Bros but mistook what you were referring to. My apologies. I bought it a while back, "Arcade Archives: Vs Super Mario Bros." looks like the title.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's stupid how good the Switch is.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I, Butthole posted:

I'd assume not, she's the managing editor of Splinter News

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gripweed posted:

lol Morphix had a freakout here too? Last week he had a meltdown in the Chapo Trap House thread because one of the hosts started a new podcast with his girlfriend.

Oh my God that's the same guy? Holy poo poo

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

I, Butthole posted:

I didn’t know Morphix liked anime :v:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Relevant:

https://local.theonion.com/nothing-is-more-attractive-than-confidence-says-woma-1825465584

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Apparently, there's a new documentary on the Apollo 11 mission that makes use of 65 reels of pristine 70mm footage found in the NASA archives.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mario has both coins and points because they serve different functions. Coins are an in-game currency item, while points have no in-game function and exist purely so that you can compare hi-scores.

So let's look at an example from the film: when Scott "fights" and "defeats" Ramona's intimidatingly butch ex-girlfriend by making fun of her knee fetish. He gets 4000 points, and she explodes into a pile of coins.

In the internal logic of the film, Scott is certainly not stealing this woman's money. He just feels less intimidated by her because he's picturing her having a knee orgasm, and she's been publicly humiliated. Scott's feeling of satisfaction is represented by the "4000" popping up on the screen. However, the film also has Scott and Ramona getting coins splashed all over their faces as part of the orgasm imagery. So the coins are not an "in-game" item in the movie; they serve roughly the same purpose as the gore does in a Mortal Kombat fatality. Then we have the joke at the end that they actually are an "in-game" item.

So the joke in Scott Pilgrim is based on the premise that coins in videogames are purely cosmetic, like blood sprites. That's a bad premise.

No, not really. You're starting with a faulty assumption and then extrapolating from there. It's what you always do so I don't know why I'm bothering to engage you this time. The coins aren't shown having an on-screen purpose, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. If you stopped playing SMB when you had 98 coins you'd assume they didn't do anything either. You should go back to talking about how Sonic Doesn't gently caress.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

In fairness, "you just stopped playing" is a canon ending to Ocarina of Time

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Also, points in Mario give you extra lives as well. Coins are more or less the "expert" mode in Mario, where you collect coins just because they're in difficult spots. Like someone else mentioned, the movie is referencing river city ransom, the game thats about the people who punch the double dragon girlfriend.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I have seen Scott Pilgrim vs the World and I have also played video games.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

No, not really. You're starting with a faulty assumption and then extrapolating from there. It's what you always do so I don't know why I'm bothering to engage you this time. The coins aren't shown having an on-screen purpose, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. If you stopped playing SMB when you had 98 coins you'd assume they didn't do anything either. You should go back to talking about how Sonic Doesn't gently caress.

What's the faulty assumption here? That coins serve as in-game currency or that points do not serve an in-game function? Because both are true, you even allude to it yourself. 100 coins "buys" Mario an extra life. 1000000000 points buys you a couple seconds in a depressing documentary about gamer culture.

E: points only give you an extra life if you're stacking them in one move, if you look at the "Extra Life" as really a chance for an extra day of work, then the stacked points move (i.e. catching the goomba on the steps in 1-1), could be looked at as OT seeing as how you can keep performing the move well after the timer ticked down.

and this was the Super Mario arcade cabinet I was referring to earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5knKjmtKrvc

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 11, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

They're straight up cashing in on the popularity of a teaser trailer. Just awful.

this is a couple pages back, but... unless they're precogs i'm pretty sure they're actually not

the Sonic movie has been in some form of development hell since literally the 1990s, and the Tim Miller incarnation we're looking at was already into filming when the Detective Pikachu trailer dropped

Sonic and Detective Pikachu coming out at the same time is pretty much just pure weird serendipity

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

this is a couple pages back, but... unless they're precogs i'm pretty sure they're actually not

the Sonic movie has been in some form of development hell since literally the 1990s, and the Tim Miller incarnation we're looking at was already into filming when the Detective Pikachu trailer dropped

Sonic and Detective Pikachu coming out at the same time is pretty much just pure weird serendipity

Gross.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It happens more often than you'd think. Armageddon and Deep Impact, Antz and A Bug's Life, Dante's Peak and Volcano.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I didn't know this, but RareFilm is back:

https://rarefilmm.com/films-index/

Of particular interest to K. Waste.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

It happens more often than you'd think. Armageddon and Deep Impact, Antz and A Bug's Life, Dante's Peak and Volcano.

The late 90s were hosed up.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ruddiger posted:

What's the faulty assumption here? That coins serve as in-game currency or that points do not serve an in-game function? Because both are true, you even allude to it yourself. 100 coins "buys" Mario an extra life. 1000000000 points buys you a couple seconds in a depressing documentary about gamer culture.

The assumption was that they function differently in the movie.

ruddiger posted:

and this was the Super Mario arcade cabinet I was referring to earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5knKjmtKrvc

I remember seeing one of these at a lovely restaurant on vacation when I was a kid and it confused the hell out of me.

Skwirl posted:

Pretty sure each of these was intentional, with one studio finding out what the other was working on and rushing to beat them to it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Looks like I know what I'm watching this week.

Good stuff on the list:

Applause (1929)
Casanova (1927)
The Crowd (1928)
Lilac Time (1928)
M (1951)
Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure (1977) - sort of a mess, but a lot of great animators worked on this

I've heard Buddy Buddy is terrible, but I'm curious about a movie where Klaus Kinski acts alongside Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon. Also surprised to see some films that are literally illegal to show in the US because of copyright infringement from the source (like Letty Lynton).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's a tremendous resource. If you come across any other you wanna recommend, I'd check em out. I remember discovering this a while back when trying to find a way to watch La Commune online.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

The late 90s were hosed up.

it happened in the 80s too. Top Gun/Iron Eagle, Great Mouse Detective/An American Tail, American Werewolf in London/The Howling, The Lost Boys/Near Dark (this one's particularly funny to me because they're basically light and dark takes on the same loving plot)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Skyline and Battle: Los Angeles

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Phoenix Forgotten and Phoenix Tapes '97.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I thought he and Jay Dub were still mods but they just weren’t around for a solid couple days when that happened.

HFB had a tendency to wait until I posted somewhere that I was busy/out of town/wasn't gonna be near a computer for a few days and then he'd start the bullshit. I don't remember if Jay Dub was mod at that point.

axelblaze posted:

It was before Vargo quit. Hell that post was one of the big reasons why Vargo quit.

It was, but a lot of it was just the excessive negativity around here in general, which many posters have already talked about. It was starting to seep into my personal life, and other parts of the internet. Honestly, you can't mod this place and have any other kind of online presence. I think GonSmithe did a great job, and I think Franchescanado is doing really great so far, too.

Fran, if you ever want to PM me any questions about modding, I'll be happy to help as much as I can.

CPL593H posted:

I hope I didn't scare him away again the other day when I made a joke about him unfriending me on Facebook. I'm not really upset about it or anything, it was just a coincidence that he posted at that moment because I noticed it a few minutes before. I just thought it would be funny to mention it.

axelblaze posted:

I think Vargo just likes to pop in once in awhile before going back to either lurking or not reading the thread for months at a time. I don't think it had anything to do with you

I mean, that did put me in a weird position. But honestly, I removed you from my Facebook friends because I'm trying to segregate my online and personal lives as much as possible. I just kinda stop posting because I don't want to post as much as I used to, I got into some really unhealthy habits with this site a few years ago.
I have other projects, I don't write for this site or Front Row Central anymore, I don't watch that many movies anymore. Now I don't feel like I need to engage as much when I see, like, oh, I don't know, some jackass screaming circa-2008 talking points about Scott Pilgrim for 11 straight hours. It's great.

everyone posted:

Stuff about movie of the month

Word of advice: I loved the Movie of the Month threads, but one of the things that killed them the last time is people calling "dibs" months in advance like you're all doing here.My recommendation is that if you want to do one, just say it in here during like, the last week of the prior month, and if more than one person wants to do it, make it like a "first come, first serve" thing. Also, try to avoid having the same person do it more than once in like, a six month period.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Baron von Eevl posted:

No, not really. You're starting with a faulty assumption and then extrapolating from there. It's what you always do so I don't know why I'm bothering to engage you this time. The coins aren't shown having an on-screen purpose, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Imagining secret ‘offscreen’ information is bad reading.

What we must accept is that the film does not use the visual language of videogames to tell a love story. Instead, as Josh04 points out, it is told from the perspective of people with a thirdhand meme-knowledge - people who misquote, get things wrong.

That isn’t unusual in movies. At the beginning of Swordfish, Travolta’s character rants that Dog Day Afternoon would be more realistic with multiple brutal hostage executions - ignorant of the fact that the movie was based on a true story. It’s a meaningful error.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

The assumption was that they function differently in the movie.

It would've been funny if Scott Pilgrim had a surplus of 1ups at the end because he had a poo poo load of coins from all of his dead enemies and just started loving off Groundhog Day/Happy Death Day style with his extra lives.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This has many brown stains inside it. I will not test them.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 11, 2018

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Imagining secret ‘offscreen’ information is bad reading.

What we must accept is that the film does not use the visual language of videogames to tell a love story. Instead, as Josh04 points out, it is told from the perspective of people with a thirdhand meme-knowledge - people who misquote, get things wrong.

That isn’t unusual in movies. At the beginning of Swordfish, Travolta’s character rants that Dog Day Afternoon would be more realistic with multiple brutal hostage executions - ignorant of the fact that the movie was based on a true story. It’s a meaningful error.

They're coins, it's reasonable to assume that they act as currency. The outlandish assumption was that they serve no purpose. I agree that the visual language of videogames isn't essential to the story, but I reject that it's intentionally incorrect and posit instead that it's aesthetics for the sake of aesthetics. Edgar Wright is a visual director who enjoys exploiting visual tropes to establish a mood or vibe. The meaning behind the symbols is secondary to him.

For what it's worth I don't even really like the movie, I just don't get why what's-his-name was so upset about it yesterday. It's fine enough.

ruddiger posted:

It would've been funny if Scott Pilgrim had a surplus of 1ups at the end because he had a poo poo load of coins from all of his dead enemies and just started loving off Groundhog Day/Happy Death Day style with his extra lives.

There would need to be a scene of him going to the store to buy extra lives, rather than plucking one out of midair.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Pooka! is quite similar to another film but to even mention that film spoils Pooka!. drat.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Yeah, i had to change my description of the movie to not spoil it.

Everyone watch pooka please!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

bushisms.txt posted:

Yeah, i had to change my description of the movie to not spoil it.

Everyone watch pooka please!

was it (obviously a spoiler for both films) The Machinist

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

James Woods Fan posted:

was it (obviously a spoiler for both films) The Machinist

Lol, that works too, i was talking simpler with memento, but it's funny it's also got a birdman flair to it.

How do you make a movie where jon daly is the straight man?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Aw, gently caress yeah

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Wait the "I like Turtles" meme kid is in Pooka!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Whoa, that site's awesome. If anyone else is working their way through the TSPDT list, there are some things on here I've been looking for for a long, long time that weren't on Filmstruck or any other service I could find (Night at the Crossroads, The Mother and the Whore, Providence, The Puppetmaster)