Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
It's insane that the Venture Brothers have been around since Bush Jr's 1st term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That actually is kinda what they go for with the presentation and style, with the idea like it's being run off tapes that have been sitting in someone's trunk for a decade or something along those lines. And that it's a Johnny Quest/Scooby Doo era riff in the first place. They even have Johnny Quest characters show up. (Later using slightly different names to cover their butts legally but you can easily tell who they're supposed to be)

Originally they wanted Johnny Quest-inspired characters without actually using them. Then they realized that Cartoon Network actually owns the rights to Johnny Quest and started using them.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Re: Episodic vs Serial, I definitely wouldn't mind more serialization, particularly with the comic book shows. Black Lightning is doing that this season with these little mini-arcs while still having an overall story. Something like Jessica Jones really could have used more case-of-the-week episodes instead of dragging out a singular plot across a season.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

uvar posted:

If I haven't seen any of Venture Bros, is this one of the times where it's better to start midway through and loop around when I run out of new stuff?

No, definitely start with the first season.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Besesoth posted:

ngl, for a while I thought Venture Bros. was legitimately an 80s cartoon that had had a recent revival (like the Jetsons did in the 80s), hence the new episodes popping up for a show I'd have sworn I'd been hearing about forever.

There was this cartoon in the early / mid-00s called Whatever Happened To Robot Jones? which I thought was a revival of some early 90s cartoon that I'd never seen. No, it was entirely original.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Originally they wanted Johnny Quest-inspired characters without actually using them. Then they realized that Cartoon Network actually owns the rights to Johnny Quest and started using them.

Gets a little meta given the whole deal with Doc Venture is that he's a Johnny Quest analogue, though he and Johnny have a lot of differences both then and now. (and they're old friends of a sort)

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was this cartoon in the early / mid-00s called Whatever Happened To Robot Jones? which I thought was a revival of some early 90s cartoon that I'd never seen. No, it was entirely original.

They did apparently redub Robot Jones' dialogue at some point because they lost the rights to the original text-to-speech program or something, but it was an odd show that seemed like it was hyped up for ages then disappeared once it actually aired. And yeah, it was weird with definitely retro styling to it. It was around the decline of Cartoon Network's more experimental phase, I think.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was intentionally made to look like a mid-80s Canadian production. The messy coloring on shadows especially evokes that “The Cat Came Back” cartoon vibe.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think you have that backwards. If I'm remembering correctly, the character started as being Johnny Quest grown up because Cartoon Network owned the rights and weren't doing anything with them. Then CN decided to make a new Johnny Quest show and didn't want their kid's cartoon too directly connected to a middle-aged junkie, so the Venture Bros character became Action Johnny.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

I think you have that backwards. If I'm remembering correctly, the character started as being Johnny Quest grown up because Cartoon Network owned the rights and weren't doing anything with them. Then CN decided to make a new Johnny Quest show and didn't want their kid's cartoon too directly connected to a middle-aged junkie, so the Venture Bros character became Action Johnny.

Both are correct, each at a different stage of the show’s development. It’s also why they killed Race Bannon.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

No, definitely start with the first season.

The first season has some golden episodes, but people can skip the 2nd episode through Ghosts of the Sargasso. Ghosts is where it really found its footing.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

OutOfPrint posted:

The first season has some golden episodes, but people can skip the 2nd episode through Ghosts of the Sargasso. Ghosts is where it really found its footing.

I don’t really see the point of skipping like 5 episodes if you’re already committed to watching the remaining 80+. Plus that stretch introduces Ünderbheit, Cocktease, and Doctor Orpheus, so you might as well watch them, even if they don’t hit the same highs as the later seasons.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I wouldn't go so far as to say they should absolutely be skipped, but if you are a person who is liable to be turned off by mid-2000s adolescent humor (or you are trying to introduce the show to someone who is) then those episodes are a really rough introduction that might sour the entire experience. You've got to weigh that against the benefit of going for that full 100% completion achievement.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Season 1 of venture bros is loving great, don’t skip any of it.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They did apparently redub Robot Jones' dialogue at some point because they lost the rights to the original text-to-speech program or something, but it was an odd show that seemed like it was hyped up for ages then disappeared once it actually aired. And yeah, it was weird with definitely retro styling to it. It was around the decline of Cartoon Network's more experimental phase, I think.

I remember I thought that show was pretty funny when it was first around, then when they replaced the text-to-speech voice with an actual kid's voice I realized the novelty of the main character being voiced a text-to-speech program was really the only thing I found funny about it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The OSI team doing crimes against humanity will never stop being hilarious. There's even a quick shot of the England guantanamo lady.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The GI Joe intro parody that's basically a montage of war crimes is a high point of the show.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Venture Brothers peaked with the line "Do not be too hasty entering that room. I had TACO BELL FOR LUNCH!"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Push El Burrito posted:

Venture Brothers peaked with the line "Do not be too hasty entering that room. I had TACO BELL FOR LUNCH!"

Read that in his voice. I love Dr Orpheus so much.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think early venture bros compared to later is extremely different, but yeah definitely watch from the start because it's all good. Also because the current stuff really has a lot of "we have a goddamn billion characters" and the relationships start getting kinda convoluted and hard to track if you haven't been there since the beginning

Edit: a good example of how the series is shifted is probably early Brock vs later because he mellows out a LOT as the series goes on and I think it's for the better. Also compared to the pilot where he was just insane.

Glagha has a new favorite as of 18:19 on Dec 11, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, the pilot is skippable but it’s worth starting with the second episode and go from there. I can’t imagine appreciating it fully if you skip ahead.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

If you want to introduce the show to someone definitely skip the pilot and consider just starting with Ghosts of the Sargasso anyway. Then have them go back to the beginning with a warning or something.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

wizzardstaff posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to say they should absolutely be skipped, but if you are a person who is liable to be turned off by mid-2000s adolescent humor (or you are trying to introduce the show to someone who is) then those episodes are a really rough introduction that might sour the entire experience. You've got to weigh that against the benefit of going for that full 100% completion achievement.

If you’re trying to avoid the mid-2000s adolescent humor you’re going to have to skip to like season 3, they’re still using “gay” to mean bad and making weird jokes about Dr. Girlfriend throughout season 2. All you can really do is acknowledge that it was in poor taste and that even the creators of the show regret that stuff and that it will eventually go away.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

uvar posted:

If I haven't seen any of Venture Bros, is this one of the times where it's better to start midway through and loop around when I run out of new stuff?

no, venture bros is extremely serialized with tons of development and callbacks. start from the first episode, even though the first two seasons can be kind of rough

it's gotta be a trip to watch all of venture bros all the way through because it changes rapidly in terms of writing and production quality

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The GI Joe intro parody that's basically a montage of war crimes is a high point of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz59tFR2KMs

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

houstonguy posted:

If you’re trying to avoid the mid-2000s adolescent humor you’re going to have to skip to like season 3, they’re still using “gay” to mean bad and making weird jokes about Dr. Girlfriend throughout season 2. All you can really do is acknowledge that it was in poor taste and that even the creators of the show regret that stuff and that it will eventually go away.

Shore Leave is a hell of a weird turn from weird gay joke stereotype character to being like my second favorite character

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

Shore Leave is a hell of a weird turn from weird gay joke stereotype character to being like my second favorite character

I think it's because he's the one person in the VB world who gets the joke, and then he just loving runs with it. He's the only character on the show constantly having fun with the silliness of the world around him.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Glagha posted:

he started in that clip as the spokesguy for the GI Joe/Village People crossover concept, and then it was funny for him to be the closeted bible camp guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_QGEmoFhDk

and then i guess they needed to give brock a buddy/peer to chat with and it's like, well, brock is already the apex of macho heterosexuality, so let's just do a guy who is the apex of macho homosexuality and turn his camp up to 11 and he rules

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shore Leave loving rules, and is dressed to impress no matter the occasion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfhcNYZ8vug

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I've never watched this show but Shore Leave is such a good name, it really could have been an actual GI Joe character but it's still pretty silly. That's extremely solid parody.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

OutOfPrint posted:

YOU TRY GETTIN A JOB WITH NOTHIN BUT "FAKE GHOST PIRATE" ON YOUR RESUME

OutOfPrint posted:

I think it's because he's the one person in the VB world who gets the joke, and then he just loving runs with it. He's the only character on the show constantly having fun with the silliness of the world around him.

I love him so much because usually that kind of campy gayness is used to emasculate characters and turn them into materialistic clowns, but because he's so terrifyingly competent, his camp gives him a beautiful joie de vivre.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

purple death ray posted:

I've never watched this show but Shore Leave is such a good name, it really could have been an actual GI Joe character but it's still pretty silly. That's extremely solid parody.

i imagine a good 30% of the reason the venture brothers has gone on so long is because doc and jackson love having a reason to make up pastiche names like that

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

purple death ray posted:

in the book they complain that they kept coming up with gi joe parodies and then on research discovering that their concepts were actual obscure joes and they had to try again

this leads to minor osi characters like bum rush, who was a dude dressed as a homeless guy pushing another dude dressed like a dog around in a shopping cart

Brother Entropy posted:

i imagine a good 30% of the reason the venture brothers has gone on so long is because doc and jackson love having a reason to make up pastiche names like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ioLebEUHhw

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 20:27 on Dec 11, 2018

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

OutOfPrint posted:

The fact that the pirate captain is STILL A CHARACTER is my favorite thing out of this show.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Just watch every episode of the Venture Bros.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
God yes Brick Frog was always a favorite.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
How does the whole thing with General Hunter Gathers being a trans woman and transitioning and then going back on it because of it being some deep cover thing hold up? I haven't done a rewatch in some time.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Araenna posted:

How does the whole thing with General Hunter Gathers being a trans woman and transitioning and then going back on it because of it being some deep cover thing hold up? I haven't done a rewatch in some time.

He still misses it EVERY drat DAY. He has a conversation when Hank finds, and won't let go of a power suit.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

PicklePants posted:

He still misses it EVERY drat DAY. He has a conversation when Hank finds, and won't let go of a power suit.

See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX-ODTWLrOA

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Araenna posted:

i dont think he identifies as a woman versus just wanting to have big beautiful tits

in a later episode he gets in a literal dick measuring contest with phantom limb so i'd say don't worry about superscience shenanigans in the context of LGBT representation, the show is already kind of bad re: female characters and how they are portrayed. he's genderfluid. his male and female sides are in a knife fight for supremacy

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Dec 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't know if it was ever good but my fiancee just restarted Glee.

I'm enjoying playing spot the pedophile.