Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

One of those people is the OP and they're discussing a different LP in spoiler tags which have nothing to do with this game. Admittedly it's still kind of annoying but your reaction is very unnecessary.

Then take it to its own thread, PMs, Discord, or whatever?

Edit:

TheMcD posted:

I will be anal about this.

So will I, if it helps prevent this thread from turning into an unreadable mess.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Then take it to its own thread, PMs, Discord, or whatever?

Edit:

So will I, if it helps prevent this thread from turning into an unreadable mess.

Are you loving blind? One of the people you're complaining about is the OP of this thread. The only person whose opinion matters about whether the spoiler bars are there or not is one of the people using them! Those spoilers aren't even for this game, so even if this was your thread to be anal about, they still don't break the rule you're quoting. Just quit whining, your derail is more annoying than the spoiler bars.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

curiousCat posted:

Then why is she off in front of the cargo lift?

This update from that LP has the answer.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh my god it's extremely obvious (if only implicitly so) that nobody is taking about UDG in those black bars. We are not robots, we understand that a thread can say "absolutely no spoilers" and end up validly having a conversation about something else that warrants tags. So much the less problematic if it's the OP of both threads doing so. I wouldn't have advised it personally but it's their thread. Please everyone chill about this.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

That shows how she could have got there, not how she did.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

curiousCat posted:

That shows how she could have got there, not how she did.

:shrug: That's really all the answer you're going to get, given the circumstances.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Cyouni posted:

:shrug: That's really all the answer you're going to get, given the circumstances.

Yeah, that's kinda the conclusion I was getting from it - there's really nobody we can learn the truth from regarding that, given that everybody involved is dead or at least mostly dead, so it just kind of stands as A Thing That Probably Happened Like This that you just need to accept.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

♪ BGM: Alice in the Children's Land

Alright, so let's exit these sewers and get to some far more interesting locales, first of which being...

...Looks like it.
It doesn't just look like it, it's clearly a graveyard...
This whole town is basically a graveyard, anyway. At least this place buried the bodies...
Th-That's not the problem... I've had the ability to see ghosts ever since I was a kid...
Oh, really? If you like the occult, I know *just* the guy you should meet.
He's even more of an idiot than you, you'd really hit it off. What do you say?
W-Well, first we have to get out of here!

Alright, so now we're in a graveyard. This brings me to another point on why I like this game a lot: The area designs are super varied and unique. Just look at this graveyard - we're not going to spend a lot of time here - but it's still super unique, with some neat pieces to look at.

Also, sparkles!

♪ Jingle: Hidden Kids Discovered!

This tells me I hosed up somewhere, because I should have found Jataro before Kotoko - they always come in the same order. Oh well, I wasn't getting an A on this chapter anyway.

And after dealing with some Guards, we get to move on.

♪ BGM: Wonderful Dead 002

Now it's time for us to visit the picturesque Towa City Riverside.

See colorful buildings, children playing, and dead bodies!

♪ BGM: We Can't Change The World

If my options are "okay" and "not okay"... I'm pretty friggin' far from okay.
Well we're not exactly okay either. I don't think a single adult in this town is okay.
Maybe. But that don't make me feel any better. Never expected somethin' like this... Been livin' here 10 years...
10 years? You're from here? Then do you know why the children are acting like this?
Don't have a friggin' clue. But I know what they done. They... Those kids... They killed my family...and made a diorama with the bodies...
...Can you imagine it? Seeing your family's bodies nailed to a wall... Necks...fixed into position with a wire... And knowing you just...you have to just hide, and watch them do it...
...You can't imagine it, can you? That's fine, that's...normal. You shouldn't have to imagine something like that your whole drat life. So why...? Why me? I wish I could be normal again, I wish I hadn't seen it... What did I do!? What did I do to deserve this!?

Anyway, so this is the next segment - the extremely colorful riverside properties. Some might call this Technicolor vomit, but I think it's a very welcome change of pace, and keeps things fresh and interesting to look at.

And there is our goal, Towa Tower.

Next, we get to deal with this fun situation - three Guards with two Bombers further away chucking grenades. This would be simple if I would just use Knockback to drop the Guards into the river, but that means I don't get Monocoins!

So I gently caress about a bit to kill of the Guards without dropping them into the river, and it turns out they're enemies that don't drop anything. Bollocks.

Eventually, everybody gets dealt with, though not without getting blown up once. And there's a collectible!

♪ Jingle: Skill GET!

It's kinda useless!

Next up, it's time for some more Monoku-Man!

♪ BGM: It's a Monokuma World

For a world-famous IT organization, Towa sure likes to make weird crap.

This device is a Hologram Projector TV built by scavenging Towa's technology. If you turn it on, a video of a child will appear. Perhaps the kids modified it... It appears the Monokumas love modern technology, because they are drawn to it. But this unit doesn't emit any sound, so only enemies who can see it will react to it. By utilizing this special ability, I bet you can wipe out the enemy in one blow! And if you haven't already figured this out, turn it on with Move. Use these Hologram TVs skillfully to progress forward!

So this is a new element for Monoku-Man puzzles from now on. We get to attract certain Monokumas by turning on these machines with Move. As an aside, Komaru is so gosh darn excited about seeing a hologram.

♪ Jingle: Monoku-Man Activate

Alright, now let's use this new thing in an actual puzzle.

This one is pretty simple. Use the hologram generator to attract the Bomber at the bottom, which will lure him up, allowing you to kill him and take out the four Guards in one explosion.

So we do just that.

♪ Jingle: Monoku-Man Success

Yay!

And with that done, we get to explore this room a bit more, because it has some really cool stuff to look at, too.

This room is basically retelling the story of Snow White, except with the Warriors of Hope. So here's Monaca taking the poisoned apple...

...here's Monaca after having fallen asleep...

...and here's Nagisa, playing the role of the prince coming to save her. Another thing on the list of reasons why I really like the area designs in this game. I just think stuff like this is really cool.

Next up, we have a collectible.

♪ BGM: DSO_Beautiful Dead

Didn't I tell you I'm not interested in this filth!?
Oh c'mon, don't say that. You should at least *try* reading one... The final date scene from this volume is so good, it's considered a masterpiece of manga history!
A masterpiece of crap is still crap.
But speaking of dates, this area seems like a pretty good spot for a date with Master Byakuya. Minus the Monokumas, obviously.
Yeah, it'd be nice for a couple to walk on the shore and eat sweets, hand in hand... I'd want a date like that for my first time.
Huh!? I took you for some sleazy tramp who just *acts* innocent! You really don‘t have *any* experience?
Of course not! Yes!
Well which one is it!?
I totally have experience! Lots of it! Too many to count with both hands! I flip through attractive boys like pages in a manga!
So then you *are* just putting on an act. You don't look it, but you're a poisonous little succubus on the inside.
Uh, well, no, maybe not...*that* bad...
No, really. If you're gonna be a slut, you should at least be proud of it.
Uh... Okay, I lied. I don't have any experience.
Why would you lie about that?
Well... I didn't want you to make fun of me.
...Your views on sex are about a quarter of a century old. Only the most narrow-minded vermin measure a person's worth by their sexual experience.
Well, even though I never actually went on a date, I have been asked out before!
So you turned them down?
Yeah, 'cause they were all my friend's exes, or like, guys older than my dad...
...I can see that. The aura that really pulls in the lecherous types is just bursting out of you. 10 years from now, you'll probably be sold off to cover some low-life's gambling debts.
Stop that! Don't say it, or it might come true!
Well, what can I say? You've got a face that ugly guys just love. The kind of face that makes them think, "Even I have a chance with her"...
Well thanks, Toko, I'll remember that.

The next area is some sort of large shared balcony overlooking the river. More kids and dead bodies.

We also see some mustachioed Monokumas shimmying around and doing a little dance. They don't attack us at all. I have no idea what these are supposed to be. I thought they were supposed to be a barbershop trio, except I forgot those are barbershop quartets, not trios. So I have no idea. Anyway, we blast them in the eye for Monocoins.

And right after that is another Monoku-Man room!

♪ BGM: It's a Monokuma World

Again, a very similar puzzle to ones we've seen before, just using the hologram projector now.

Lure the Bomber to the projector...

...blast him over with Knockback...

...and kill the Guards!

Again, this room has a cool design retelling a fairy tale with the Warriors of Hope.

Here, we're retelling the story of Cinderella with Kotoko in the main role.

She gets her dress from the fairy godmother (well, kinda more like a witch here, but whatever)...

...dances with her prince, who is played by Masaru here...

...has to run away at midnight as the spell wears off...

...but is eventually identified by a servant of the prince by the shoe she lost, the servant here being appropriately played by the Warriors' servant, Nagito.

Outside, we're treated to a large congregation of Monokuma kids doing whatever the gently caress it is they do...

...and a collectible!

Jataro's total non sequiturs really straddle the line between "quirky in an adorable and kind of relatable way" and "utterly terrifying".

And here we are - Towa Tower is in sight. But that'll be for next time.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Jataro could probably use some Ritalin.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Jataro could use a lot of things.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Towa Tower is some pretty interesting architecture.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Cant say I often get to see an atmosphere like this

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, so now it's time to head to Towa Tower.

So this is Towa Tower... it's amazingly huge once you see it close up.
Huge is good... it's as if I'm being looked down on... makes me all tingly...
Just as I thought... you are definitely a strange one.

However, as we approach the tower, Komaru notices these two little mascot character signs standing there.

She goes in to take a closer look, and...

...there's a picture of Jataro?

A picture that blinks!

Aw, you found me...

I put so much work into this disguise, though...

Suddenly, Monokumas!

I am such a coward... so cowardly, I have to resort to superior numbers just to beat a girl.
...do you hate me now? If you say you hate me, I'll turn you into a splendid diorama...

As the Li'l Ultimate Art, I'll put every bit of my skill into it.

And then, a Monokuma attack!

♪ BGM: VERSUS

So now we get to fight a whole bunch of Monokumas.

The enemies we have to deal with are largely normal Monokumas, with some Bombers and a Siren thrown in. Not sure what the object of the Siren is - I guess it could be used to get all the Monokumas together by using Dance and then blow them all up by killing the Bomber, but then that would mean I couldn't get a bunch of Monocoins by racking up Nice Shots, so that's what I do instead.

There's three waves in total, each with more Monokumas than the last. They don't add any enemy types, so no Guards or Junk Monokumas to worry about this time. Also, Toko would be the character to use the word "gestalt".

Eventually, we get rid of all of them.

Looks like that gross-looking brat is gone, too. He must have gotten away in all the confusion...
He better not be waiting for us inside...
Hey... Don't you think this was that white Monokuma's trap?
N-No way! Shirokuma wouldn't do that!
Either way, this is definitely dangerous. Are you *sure* you want to do this?
I mean, there's no place to go even if we turn back... And I don't know what else to do.
So if that's the case, the only thing we can do is move forward.
Hmph, a pessimistic optimist.
But... Why do you look like you don't want to do this?
Huh? Wh-What do you mean?
I mean... You don't look like you want to go to Towa Tower. Are you worried about something?
I-It's not like that... You're just...thinking too much...
I hope so...

You know, now that I'm done with this fight, I only now noticed that there were several electric cars around here that we could have used to kill some of those Monokumas. Man, I'm just consistently ignoring the game's gimmicks in favor of running around and sniping Monokumas in their eye with Break shots.

Now, let's check out this tower.

...That's the kind of remark that will make you a lot of enemies, fast.
Anyway, we gotta try to communicate from a high place to get above the jamming waves, right?
So let's try going all the way to the top.

♪ BGM: Welcome To Towa Tower

Well, let's go check out that elevator then.

Huh? It's not moving...
Look, a card reader. Looks like we need a specific card to activate the elevator.
I don't have a card...
Same here. If that's the case, then let's just give up and head back.
W-Wait! If we can't use the elevator, we'll just have to climb the stairs!
A-Are you serious? You want to *walk* all the way up there? How many floors are there!?
If we climb and take breaks every so often, I'm sure we'll be alright.
Jeez, I'm starting to think I liked you better when you were pessimistic all the time.

So, Towa Tower.

It's a place with giant Monokuma statues!

Also, a much more pleasant diorama than the one we've seen before. Also, there's a collectible over there!

Alright, we'll be sure to do some sightseeing while we're here. There are some neat things to look at in Towa Tower, as you might already be able to tell based on giant fish-holding Monokuma statues.

We also find another collectible over on the other side of the floor.

Hrm. Makes you think.

Also on this floor: A skill shop (with nothing new in stock) and kids hip thrusting at corpses.

Also, another collectible!

I guess it's hard to not think about work when your employer basically owns the entire city.

Now it's time to head to the next floor.

But suddenly, Monokuma thing rolling down the stairs!

It rolls down to Komaru and Toko, then suddenly starts growing limbs.

♪ BGM: Absolute Despair Girl

So, Ball Monokumas. These guys mainly spit stuff in your general direction until you shoot them.

After you shoot them, they roll to a different location, then continue spitting at you.

Spitting at you with cup noodles. Anyway, three shots to the eye and it goes down. We head up the stairs, but...

...Oh, looks like we gotta give up this time for sure.
I told you, I'm not giving up! Let's try looking for another way to get up.
Your persistence is starting to remind me of that other guy...

So now we're on the second floor. The barrier we just saw is blocking us from going to the third floor. Anyway, this is more of the cool aesthetics I really like in this game. I mean, the ceiling is a fish tank!

Awesome.

Next, another collectible!

Well, doesn't look like things are going well for our Towa Tower employee.

Our next stop is this "trick room".

It has this setup with a wall where you see one image if you look at it from one side...

...and another one if you look at it from another side.

There's also this Escher-as-gently caress room with a bunch of stairs that hurts to think about. There's a collectible though!

Despair socks. Now I've seen everything.

Our path next leads us another Monoku-Man room.

This is a fairly simple one, though we'll only be introduced to the thing that makes it simple after entering the room, so let's do that.

So let me tell you a little more about Knockback. Knockback is also effective against the Ball Monokumas that appeared earlier. Ball Monokumas that're knocked back roll, and they keep rollin' until they go boom! Also! Rolling Ball Monokumas can wipe out all enemies in their path! However, life is not that easy. While the Ball Monokumas have their limbs out, Knockback won't work. Doesn't that suck? In those circumstances, I'd use Dance. If you shoot Knockback while it's dancing, they'll get blown back for sure! Try it out!

An additional complication in this puzzle is that you need to pay attention to where the Bombers are looking, since the whole thing goes to hell if they spot you.

When we get to the Ball Monokuma, we blast it with Knockback...

...and it plows through all the others.

Now that we've cleared that, let's take a look at what Towa sells in this shop.

Uh, Monokuma.... books? Monokuma something.

Also, paint cans. I guess they were still refurbishing this and then the whole mass murder via robot bears hosed that up.

Also, Monokuma pictures and Monokuma... candle holders, I guess.

Next, Monokuma mannequins.

And sparkles!

♪ Jingle: Hidden Kids Discovered!

And again I hosed up somewhere - I'm missing Nagisa as well. Oh well, three out of five ain't bad.

In the next room, we're accosted by a Bomber that is blocked by Guards.

However, it's not much of a problem.

In this room, we also find a collectible!

More backstory about Towa.

This place also has a display of sumo Monokumas (hopefully not a new enemy type)...

...and astronauts.

Moving on through the back leads us to this area, which has some presents for us!

OH GOD THE MANNEQUINS ARE ALIVE

Taking the green present just leads to more Monokumas.

♪ Jingle: Skill GET!

But the red presents have some Monocoins and a new skill!

And it's another skill relating to that thing I haven't shown yet. Awesome.

In the next area, we have another UFO telling us to go one way, so we go the other way. Let's check out the staff rooms to the left.

We have a collectible!

This one is Sayaka's motive hostage.

Also, we get a corpse lineup with Monokuma kids jumping around in front of it.

The other room has Monokuma kids running around a corpse pile...

...and a collectible!

I remember you said earlier that you can see ghosts. Or things that can't be seen?
Well, it's not really about seeing, it's more like... I just *know*. Like, I'm feeling a pretty bad aura in this place, so I know ghosts must be around.
...But you can't see them. What makes you think you're sensing ghosts? In the end, you're just making an assumption, right?
No, there was a time when, just once... I was able to actually see a ghost!
It was in 3rd grade. I heard a strange sound in the night, so I woke up. I turned my head, and then BAM! My teacher from cram school was at my bedside! That's when I knew.
It was the living spirit of my old teacher.
What makes you think it was a living spirit and not just a burglar who looked like him?
No, this spirit knew my name. He kept whispering, Komaru... Komaru... And when he noticed I was awake, he apologized to me and asked me not to tell anyone what I saw.
My real teacher would obviously never do something like that, so it must have been his ghost!
...And did you um...ever see that teacher again?
Well that's the thing! When I went back to school, I found out he mysteriously quit! Spooky, right?
The teacher's feelings must have become a living spirit to say goodbye to me before he quit!
...Yeah, I think he was probably just a trespassing sex offender. Some teacher who gets off watching grade schoolers sleep.
No way, Toko. You shouldn't even joke about that.
Your kind of genuine stupidity is even more rare than actual ghosts.

Komaru leads an interesting life.

Next, we get to walk over this narrow path while being accosted by two Guards and a Bomber, which isn't too much of a problem after some Knockback.

This Monokuma that sneaks up behind you will very probably get a shot in on anybody playing this game, though.

More collectibles!

Looks like a pretty simple ruleset.

Moving on, we are accosted by a Monokuma kid.

♪ BGM: Riddle Land

A challenge!

The Monokuma kid then bails...

...and locks the door!

And the one behind us is locked too!

Argh, jeez! So once *again* we have to play along with these little brats!

So there's a ton of sparkly things around here, and we need to find the right one. Toko suggests some Detect, so let's use that.

And with it, we find this on the wall. The key is through three lifesavers.

Well, it just so happens that we can line something up so that we look through three lifesavers, and it just so happens to point at one shiny thing.

So we grab it...

...and it works! Sadly, there are no kids nearby, so Komaru can't rub it in now.

We do however get a new collectible.

:ohdear:

Anyway, next time, we'll keep heading up to the stairs, and meet a new friend.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

TheMcD posted:

Spitting at you with cup noodles. Anyway, three shots to the eye and it goes down. We head up the stairs, but...

Oh come on. Three Komarus could fit through that gap at the same time. They even form a nice little ladder that you can climb up and a top bar you could swing inwards with. Are those things electrified or something?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That's a... very unsettling story about the sex offender.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That's a... very unsettling story about the sex offender.

There is no story about a sex offender in this particular update.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Lord_Magmar posted:

There is no story about a sex offender in this particular update.

A teacher breaking into a little girl's home and watching her sleep is close enough, especially when the game says his motivations were probably lustful.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

FoolyCharged posted:

A teacher breaking into a little girl's home and watching her sleep is close enough, especially when the game says his motivations were probably lustful.

Oh damnit I actually somehow missed that discussion, apologies.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Psycho Knight posted:

Oh come on. Three Komarus could fit through that gap at the same time. They even form a nice little ladder that you can climb up and a top bar you could swing inwards with. Are those things electrified or something?

Clearly, Komaru just wants to take the scenic route because she's actually one of those country bumpkins Toko mentioned that like looking at towers like this. Sure, they're in danger of dying, but hey, when are you going to get another opportunity to visit this place? Especially since at the rate things are going, it might end up being blown up before the day is over.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

TheMcD posted:

Anyway, so this is the next segment - the extremely colorful riverside properties. Some might call this Technicolor vomit, but I think it's a very welcome change of pace, and keeps things fresh and interesting to look at.

I really like the look of this area. It's hideous, sure, but it really gets across "kids have taken over and they're doing whatever the gently caress they want with no limits" better than anywhere else in the game, especially with it trending towards much gloomier locations most of the time.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

On our way to the top, there seems to be somebody typing on a keyboard.

Komaru and Toko spot that somebody on their way up the stairs, and carefully make their way closer, but...

Who's there?

This scares the poo poo out of Komaru, leading to her punching the crap out of Toko...

...who then unceremoniously sails right back down the stairs.

Komaru is very scared.

Huh? Wait a sec... you're not a kid, right?

Y-Yeah...

Then why are you in a place like this? It's suspicious...
I was hiding! I figured the kids wouldn't find me here.
...And what's with the laptop?
Oh, this? I picked it up at the city's electronics store. I thought I might be able to remove the wristband using this, so I was trying to program something.
W-Wait! Did you say "wristband"!?
Huh? Yeah, this.

I got captured by this weird-looking group of five kids, and they put this on me... I tried to remove it, but as you can see, that didn't work too well.
I knew it! I'm the same, see!?
Ah, that wristband! Then... You were also put into this cruel game?
I see... I'm sorry...
Is now really the time for that? You're in the same boat, right?
But if I had just figured out how to get this off, I could have helped you, too... Did you know? With this wristband on, you can't leave the city. So as long as we can't remove this wristband, we can't be saved...
It's going to be alright! We'll be saved!
...Wh-What makes you say that?
We're going to ask Future Foundation for help removing the bands. We came here to call them.
U-Um... What do you mean?
O-Oh, you want the details?
Um, there's a special radio all over the city, that's raspberry, and we use this...thing...
...Wow, you suck.
Oh! The jammer? If we get to the top of this tower, we might be able to get through!
...You actually understood that!?
But, all the way up the stairs... That's impossible...
I know, but the elevator won't move. We don't have a card...
A card? The elevator security card?
Do you have it!?
Ah, sorry... It's not that...
No I... I can't really speak freely, uh... Well, maybe...
Wh-What!? Talk sense, dammit!
If you want to move the elevator... I... Well, I might be able to do it...
R-Really?
I've worked security before, so I figured I might be able to get around that card reader...
But... There's no way you'd believe someone you just met. I mean, I'm saying all this, but I can't even figure out how to get this stupid band off...
That's not true! Please, we need your help! I beg you, please, help us, Mister!
...Huh?
W-Well...okay. I'll try.
Yes! Thank you so much!
Seriously... You're really quick to rely on people... But what are you gonna do? If we're gonna move the elevator, don't you have to go back down?
Well, it's better than needlessly climbing up more stairs, right? Let's do our best, okay?
Sh-Shut up... I don't want *you* cheering me up...
Haha... You guys get along well.
Exactly *why* do you think that!?

And thus, we've picked up a new friend. We don't know his name yet, but we know he's one of the Captives, since he has a wristband, and I think you can take an educated guess as to which of our DR1 characters he belongs to.

Our way down is made significantly quicker by the game dropping a Bomber in front of the barrier that was blocking us earlier.

And then we repeat that a little further down...

...and that brings us to ground floor in under a minute. Also, there's a collectible there!

Out of everywhere on Earth, it had to be Towa to end up like this.
You seem especially upset about it. Did you have some kind of reverence for this place?
It's not quite that... Didn't I tell you? I used to work in security. Well, I say security... What I actually did was architect security system programs. For someone like me, this place was truly something special.
Something special?
Towa City leads the world's technology industry in both complexity and scale. There are tons of engineers out there who come to Towa City to test their skills.
You're right, I think I've heard that somewhere. I heard that the air purifier developed by Towa solved the toxic atmosphere problem.
Also, Towa Group built advanced weaponry and shelters to fight against despair. So Towa City is special for that reason, too.
But, that's something I just learned recently.
If this city is so advanced, why isn't there a giant defense robot to fend off Monokumas?
Um... I'm sure that any kind of weaponry was stolen or destroyed when all this first started.
Then nothing's changed. We gotta contact Future Foundation, no matter what!

Well, let's get on doing that then. One quick march to the elevator later...

This is gonna be tough...
But...you can do it, right?
Y-Yeah. I'll do my best.
That's a pretty vague answer.
Ha, yeah, I guess that's true... My family used to think I was pretty unreliable too...
Family, huh...
Y-You guys, we just started! You don't have to get depressed right away...
Y-You're right.
Alright, I'll try.
Okay, I leave it to you.

So... how's it coming?
Yeah... well, it might take a little while, but with this, I might be able to do it somehow.
Don't worry, no need to rush. Nothing really dangerous is...
...happening right now...

Suddenly, Junk Monokumas!

Are you done yet? Please hurry!
Hold on! I barely got started!

Wh-What do we do?
Isn't it obvious? We got to deal with them somehow!

♪ BGM: VERSUS

Alright, so this part is similar to protecting Shirokuma in the sewers. We have Junk Monokumas closing in and need to protect this guy. This basically revolves around shooting them in the eye a lot. You could also use Knockback if you're in a pinch, but I managed to take these three Junk Monokumas out with just Break shots and without letting that guy get hit.

That was the last one, right?
I'm almost done on my end, too.

Phew...
Yay, it totally worked! Toko, all we gotta do now is use the elevator to go all the way to the top, right?
Th-th-that's right...

Before we go any further, I really need to thank you guys. Thanks to you two girls, I'm finally starting to see hope. If the connection works well, I'm sure Future Foundation will come to us immediately.
And when that happens, we're saved! We're finally saved! We should even be able to see our families again!

The elevator arrives.

...is it just me, or is that some children singing I hear?

It's gonna be alright! Just a little bit more! Let's keep it up and-

And a Monokuma just ate his face off.

♪ BGM: DSO_Living to the Fullest

Alright, so, Beast Monokumas. Toko is probably suggesting going Genocide Jack on them, but I'll pass on that.

The problem with these guys is that if you shoot a Break shot at them, they go all ninja on your rear end and just dodge it, so you need some alternative solutions.

One solution is to just hit them with Dance and use that window to shoot them with Break.

Another solution is that after you shoot them with a Break shot and they dodge it, they're vulnerable to being shot by Break shortly afterwards. And, well, there's only two of them here, so that's that problem dealt with.

♪ BGM: DSO_Desire for Execution...

I... I didn't mean to make you guys go it alone... B-But you guys will be fine! No need to worry, you'll be saved for sure! I'm glad I could...at least be a little help to you guys... I have a child, y'know... You guys are all around the same age... But we got separated, and... A-And all this time, I couldn't do anything... I... I wasn't able to see... Just one last time... That's my only regret.

And with that, he breathes his last. RIP "that guy", we never even got to know your name.

Yeah...

But then Komaru notices something.

Is this a handbook...?

There's a picture inside. Ah, so this is his child, huh... ...What a cute girl...

♪ BGM: DSO_Welcome Despair Academy

And thus we have confirmed what was basically a clear assumption anyway. The guy that helped us unlock the elevator and just bit the dust was Taichi Fujisaki, Chihiro's father. We don't know his full name yet, but we'll read it on his Hit List entry later. Situations like this are where it's handy that Komaru doesn't know that everybody wearing a wristband shares a connection to somebody that was in the Hope's Peak killing game and that Toko was in that killing game as well - spares us having to have the "your son was murdered by some guy with rage problems and then strung up in the way my serial killer alter ego strings up her victims by the guy I am head over heels in love with" talk.

So yeah, RIP Taichi. Once again, Chapter 2 proves to be the barrier a Fujisaki just can't cross.

Separated from his family, same as me... He was probably worried about his family... Worried until the very end. ...I hope his child is doing well at least...

Uh...

I feel you, Toko.

Hey, Omaru...
Yeah. I know. I don't want to die, separated from my family. I need to see them again.
So I'm not just going to sit here. This man sacrificed himself for us...
...Let's go, Toko. As long as Future Foundation comes, we and everyone else...are going to be saved.

Well, let's get on this elevator then.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

...Hey, Omaru... Got a second?
... ...What?
U-Um, about Future Foundation...

Wh--!? What!?
L-Looks like the elevator stopped...
Why!? Why here!?
L-Let's just force open the door!
Y-Yeah!

So they force open the door...

...and Komaru and Toko see...

...another arena?

♪ BGM: Ghost Stories From the School District of Revolution

Did you think you could escape if you went somewhere reaaal high up? But... No matter where you run, it's pointless...
The more you run from me, the closer you get. Cuz...the world is rooound, right?

Oh, hey, there we go, there's where Jataro's symbol is. It's on his backpack!

Were you even more grossed out? Or, or maybe... Do you hate me even more now?
L-Like I said, I already hate you enough!
No, that's a lie. When adults look at things they truly hate... Their eyes are not weak like that. I know it. I've seen those eyes since the day I was born.
Don't tell me, the reason you hide your face is because of some trauma or something? Well, not that it matters. I'm just...curious.
...About how horrible your face looks.
N-No, you can't see! Anything but that! If you see my face, your eyeballs are gonna rot off!
There you go, making no sense again...
No, you're wrong! It's the truth! They're really gonna burn right off! I-If they don't, then... Then why did she force me to wear this mask? Why was I forced to wear this stuffy mask every single day!?

I'm just that horrible... I'm just so ugly and hated... More than anyone else on Earth.

♪ BGM: DSO_Junk Food for a Dashing Youth

I bet my head just got really twisted cuz the doctor pulled too hard when I was born... And then, my skin pores got all crushed, and my hair got ripped, and my face got pulled... And my ears are just barely sticking to my face, like meatloaf thrown up onto a wall... And my lips are inside-out, and my gums are dry and rotten and brown... And my nose is just a shriveled little lump of meat...
It must be horrible! That's why she was ashamed to show me to people!
"You don't look like other kids." That must be what she was talking about... If you see such an awful face, your eyeballs are gonna get crushed and you'll faint!
So that's why I'm *not* wrong! I'm totally, totally right!
Jeez, I just mentioned the subject and you totally went off the handle there... Meaning, you basically just want revenge against the adults who made you suffer, right?
...Huh?
Oh. Oooh. Oh, I see, you're just mistaken...

♪ BGM: Like I Would Become A Monster

It's not something cheap and silly like that. We just want to change the world, that's all.
Well, you don't really hafta understand. Demons aren't needed in our world, anyway.
It's fine, fine, f-f—f—fine! We're going to make a kids-only paradise!

The peanut gallery does not approve.

...Huh? Why are you all booing?

No matter what kind of reason you have, whether you're an adult or a child...
You *killed* people. So many people... Like it was nothing.
And I'll never forgive that...ever!

♪ BGM: DSO_Weekly Despair Magazine

Ehehe, Big Sis... Looks like you're finally disgusted by me for real...
But I dunno about what you said, comparing likes and dislikes and good and evil. I mean... We're trying to bring peace to the world, y'know?
That's why there's nothing wrong with us. No matter how much you hate us, we aren't wrong!
What...are you...? You kill people and laugh about it, and say that you aren't the ones in the wrong!?
Unforgiveable!

The peanut gallery approves!

Huh? Whyyy? Why are you all cheering for the enemy?
Oh. I guess it's that...I'm even hated by the kids, too...

Yup, sure looks like it.

See? They hate me, they really hate me...
...Ehe... I'm so happy. If I'm hated this much, then there's no point in faking friendships and trying to be liked... I'm free...to do anything I want.

And just like with Masaru, it's time to fight.

♪ BGM: Sortie! Its Name Is Robot

The ground starts shaking...

...but this time, the robot makes its entrance through a window!

Before your bodies become pretty objects, let me tell you one more time. No matter how much we're hated, no matter how much we're shunned, we're definitely not wrong. That's the real truth.

Because Big Sis Junko said so!

DUN

DUN

DUNNNNNNN

Big Sis... Junko?

Big Sis Junko, the only one who loved me, the only one different than other people. Big Sis Junko, the one who gave us our sparkly hope. Those adults took her away from us and said that she was the bad one!
They're the filthy ones, they're the ugly ones, THE DISGUSTING ONES!

And on that bombshell (...is it a bombshell, or is it just always assumed that Junko is involved with everything Danganronpa related, even if it's not directly stated yet, and thus any reveal that Junko is involved can at most elicit dull surprise?), it's time for our second boss fight.

♪ BGM: The Warriors Of Hope

Alright, so Jataro's robot is a bit tougher than Masaru's. For one thing, it doesn't have a bright red glowing "please gently caress me up here" point in clear sight, but the cinematic where the robot flew in actually showed you the weak spot twice - it's on top of its head. Now, how do we get to shoot that? Good question!

Well, this robot has a few attacks. It can shoot two missiles which have some degree of homing ability. I never really worked out how to deal with those, the fight was over before I got into too much trouble with it.

The next attack is dropping some bombs that lay on the ground. This is where the trick to damaging the boss lies.

We just use Knockback to hit them back into the boss...

...which causes the robot to fall down and reveal the weak spot, which we then get to blast with Break. So we continue that song and dance for a while.

Eventually, just like with Masaru, the Monokuma plate breaks and reveals some sort of core to shoot at. The boss seems to gain an attack here, but it's bascially just "use the two regular attacks at the same time".

I get into a real pickle with health, but thankfully, the game does occasionally drop powerups during boss fights.

And eventually, we manage to shoot at the boss long enough that it blows up.

♪ BGM: Punishment of the Priest

The robot is looking quite a bit worse for wear...

...but it manages to shoot one more missile that heads for Komaru and Toko...

...before veering completely off course...

...and heading back and blowing up the robot, instead. And, well, you can already see what's awaiting poor Jataro here.

Just like with Masaru, the Monokuma kids have come for him.

And as they close in, they tear at his mask, and...

...turns out he was actually pretty all along!

Just, uh, too bad the Monokuma kids don't give a drat about that.

And once again, we're just left with an item from the kid after all is done.

♪ BGM: DSO_DISTRUST

...Serves him right.
...What did you say?
...Let's go, Toko.

And with that, the two head back into the elevator.

All we gotta do now is use this wireless device that Shirokuma gave us...
...Toko, what is it?
U-Um, I've been thinking about this for a while, a-and... Contacting Future Foundation is...
I know, I know, I should hurry up with it, right?
Ah, no, I didn't mean that!

Toko is quietly hacking away at buttons.

What happened, Toko?
Wh-what? Cause you can't do anything, I'm setting it up for you! Just wait a minute, will you?
Oh, sorry...

Alright, here you go...

Hello? Can you hear me? Someone, please respond! Can you hear me?

Hey, answer me!

Can anyone hear me? I beg you, please, answer me!

Looks like it didn't work. Well, that's just too bad. We should, uh, probably give up right now.
Hello?

♪ BGM: BOX 15

-ello? This is... -oundation! This is Future Foundation!

Toko immediately bails from the picture.

Hello? Can you hear me?
We can hear you! Loud and clear!

This is Future Foundation, branch number... branch number fourteen...

...Makoto Naegi.
Ma-Makoto!

Huh? Ko-Komaru!?

And that's the end of the chapter! Talk about a cliffhanger. Anyway, yeah, I blew the A ranking again because of the two retries on a Monoku-Man puzzle and missed two Hidden Kids to boot.

And because of that, Fantasy-Byakuya has, uh, moderate words of praise for me? Another 300 Monocoin bonus for us, but we'll get the better one on the re-do anyway.

♪ BGM: Chapter End

And with that, the chapter is officially over, as is the update. Next time, we'll run over the entirety of Chapter 2 again, picking up what we missed and getting that A ranking. That'll take a bit because I need to record the footage first, but I think there's enough stuff in this update to hold you over.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 11, 2018

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

TheMcD posted:

Um, there's a special radio all over the city, that's raspberry, and we use this...thing...
...Wow, you suck.
0h! The jammer? If we get to the top of this tower, we might be able to get through!
...You actually understood that!?

I forgot about the earlier lines where Komaru doesn't seem to understand what "jamming" means and goes from that to raspberry, which, as a confusion wordplay, kinda works in that direction, but it really doesn't work in reverse, does it? It doesn't seem right that anyone should be able to understand it. I suspect it worked a lot better in the original Japanese.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh look, another character who was introduced to die.

Oh look, another character with ties to Chihiro who died.

:geno:

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I got so into the fight with Jotaro and the cliffhanger afterwards that I completely forgot about Chihiro's father only a few minutes earlier. Kinda weird that they'd do the thing about introducing a past character's relative and then killing them in the same scene a second time! It has even less an impression than the first.

Can't wait for the next chapter, when Komaru starts becoming addicted to drawing blood! ...I joke, but this series is so unsubtle about everything that they might actually imply her getting just a little angry is a sign of her going completely overboard.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh look, another character who was introduced to die.

Oh look, another character with ties to Chihiro who died.

:geno:

Yeah, I defended this the first time it happened, but it's already been overused. My support for that first time hinged on the game not going back to that well, and they did it with the very next ally character. Regardless of how these pan out, this narrative device is now cheap and ineffective.

TheMcD posted:

And a Monokuma just ate his face off.

Ah, the Resident Evil movie method of not paying attention right when a door is about to open. Solid work, team.

TheMcD posted:

Clearly, Komaru just wants to take the scenic route because she's actually one of those country bumpkins Toko mentioned that like looking at towers like this. Sure, they're in danger of dying, but hey, when are you going to get another opportunity to visit this place? Especially since at the rate things are going, it might end up being blown up before the day is over.

Can't argue with that. Who knows, could be cool poo poo to loot on that floor too. No reason to pass on that possibility.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I'm not sure what it says that the moment he appeared my instant reaction was "welp, he's dead".

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Hi, Japanese Hal Emmerich. Bye, Japanese Hal Emmerich.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, I gotta be honest, I don't really have anything for the second occurrence of "hey here's a guy related to somebody you kno- oh whoops he's dead now" beyond "they really want to hammer it into your skull not to get attached to these guys". I will say that there's something that makes this make sense story-wise, but I can only talk about it after, like, the end of Chapter 5, which is the last proper chapter, and it's honestly just my interpretation of something. Somebody remind me when we get there and I'll bring this back up again.

In other news, I recorded like over an hour of footage of going through Chapter 2 again with all collectibles, only for it to turn out that because I needed to reload at some point after blowing a Monoku-Man puzzle, I forgot to re-collect Jataro's Hidden Kid, and I only noticed it after clearing the entire chapter, which meant my save was at Towa Tower, and from there you can't backtrack back to before the sewers anymore, which is where that collectible was. Go me!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The real despair is collectibles.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Nah, real despair is when you use a vending machine and the thing you wanted gets stuck. Now you have no money and no food.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, I gotta be honest, I don't really have anything for the second occurrence of "hey here's a guy related to somebody you kno- oh whoops he's dead now" beyond "they really want to hammer it into your skull not to get attached to these guys". I will say that there's something that makes this make sense story-wise, but I can only talk about it after, like, the end of Chapter 5, which is the last proper chapter, and it's honestly just my interpretation of something. Somebody remind me when we get there and I'll bring this back up again.

And this would be one of the problems with this game compared to the main DR games: UDG fosters a feeling of not getting attached to anyone, something that the main games do not do, specifically. Where here it is taken as more or less a given that only the main character and the characters we've heard of before are going to get out of this alive, you genuinely do not know who's actually going to turn out as a killer or a victim in the original Killing Games, because Kodaka is better at both mysteries and playing with the expectations of the same. Getting to know the participants for the free time events further muddies these waters, because they all seem to be fully fleshed out- people with their own stories, goals, and reasons for getting out- and you can try not to be hurt by the silly pixels and their struggles, you will be if you get invested... which you probably will, as Kodaka is a better writer (and Marutani a better director) than, um, Whoever. You might argue that UDG is trying to do a different thing then DR1 and 2 is, being more of a standard action game than a visual novel/closed room mystery, but it's trying to get to a similar place through the use of cruelty as a plot elements and... well, Kodaka is better at writing cruelty too. I have heard it said that he saves the worst fates for the characters he cares the most about, that his favorites tend not to live very long, and the past showing of this game has made me wonder if the creators here cared very much about any of these characters, and are simply aping the styling and appearance for cheap monetary value.

... there's something else I want to say regarding cruelty and nuance in writing, but it directly concerns the plot and what happens, and I don't want to steal TheMcD's thunder, so I'll keep mum for now.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Psycho Knight posted:

Yeah, I defended this the first time it happened, but it's already been overused. My support for that first time hinged on the game not going back to that well, and they did it with the very next ally character.

Technically you could argue Hagakure is fine?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, this won't take long. We didn't miss a lot in this chapter.

The first thing we missed was in the first room we enter after saving Shirokuma. In a hallway, to the left, is a sparkle that hides Jataro's Hidden Kid.

The next thing is this collectible, which we find in this storefront window just before the first Monoku-Man room at the riverside. This is super hard to spot, since the white background makes the white sparkle blend in really well.

It's very pleasant.

This is another tough one to spot - just hanging over the river here are more sparkles.

So this is where we missed Nagisa.

Finally, on the ground floor of Towa Tower, on the pedestal of the left giant Monokuma statue, we find the last collectible we missed.

It's Hiroko's Hit List entry! We'll have to give that to her once we get the opportunity.

And then it turns out that because I hosed up a Monoku-Man puzzle and had to reload and then forgot to recollect Jataro's Hidden Kid, basically the entire session was pointless and I was going to have to redo everything anyway. Which I did! So the "canon" run is still 100% completion with all Hidden Kids collected and an perfect A rank on both chapters.

Alright, I've decided. I will restore the glorious Togami family with you. But first, tell me... What is the size of your ring finger? A ring would look good on you...

And Fantasy-Byakuya has very high words of praise for us!

Our reward is this skill, which gives +1 HP, which is always welcomed, and the usual 500 Monocoins for an A rank. Also, some more optimal play in the third playthrough has us collecting about 800 Monocoins more than the regular playthrough on top of the 200 more from the better rank for a total of 1000 more Monocoins.

OK, now, before we leave, one more thing.

So here I am, defending Taichi from Junk Monokumas, and I shoved my face in one of them and let them hit me, taking my HP down to zero! Oh no, I'm going to die!

But then this happens!

When your health is about to run out, the enemy might come at you with a final attack. When this happens, Despair Time begins, just like what you see here! If you can stop the shrinking white circle right on the yellow area with the C Key... Toko will save you by attacking the enemy with her stun gun, which uses up 1 battery. But, if you can stop in the blue area... Surprise! She won't use up any battery! For the more confident players out there, why don't you try aiming for the blue area? Furthermore, if you have less than 1 battery, there will only be a blue area, so be careful... Now then, if you have finished reading this text, you can continue the game. Brace yourself!

So then Despair Time is engaged. This white circle comes closing in pretty fast, and we need to hit C at the right time.

I manage to get a hit in on the blue part...

...and Toko runs in, blasting the enemy away.

We then return to regular gameplay, with the enemy in question stunned for a little bit. So that's Despair Time, the thing Toko meant when she said she'll save Komaru when she's really in trouble.

Anyway, that'll be it for now. Next time we get to begin Chapter 3. Ugh, Chapter 3. Now, why do I go "ugh" at the prospect of Chapter 3? Well, basically, when people want to nuke this game into oblivion, it's about 95% likely that it's because of something in particular that happens in Chapter 3. So that'll be fun. But that's for when we get there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I keep hoping we'll never have to see Junk Monokuma again, and then the next update comes out and fills me with despair.

TheMcD posted:

Now, why do I go "ugh" at the prospect of Chapter 3?

:shepicide:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I have no idea what this chapter 3 talk could be about.... I am worried

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So far this game seems alright, executions and character deaths notwithstanding. I honestly like the MC and they did a lot of good work making Toko way more likable. So I guess lemme see what's up.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

resurgam40 posted:

well, Kodaka is better at writing cruelty too. I have heard it said that he saves the worst fates for the characters he cares the most about, that his favorites tend not to live very long,

oh god what does this say about Teruteru

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Bifauxnen posted:

oh god what does this say about Teruteru

Self Insert

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I thought Junko was Kodaka's self-insert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know, whenever Junko talks in DR1 or 2, her dialogue always felt more... how do I say...

...stream of conscious? Something like that. Do you know what I mean?