Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Macchiatos are tasty all the time which proves that milk can make even mediocre espresso taste great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I guess I fall into the "I like cream" side of things. A splash of milk/half&half with my coffee iced or hot and I'm good to go! That's mostly because I drink house brews and cheap poo poo. If I had access to or was about to order some sort unbelievably good brew. Then sure, I'd go black.

Also, I'm currently drinking NesCafe insta coffee dark roast with a splash of hazelnut CoffeeMate cream. :goofy:

I also ate a snack sized slim jim for breakfast. No, I don't know what I'm doing with my life. Get off my back, mom!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
As a round, pink guy who sucks a lot, I

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Oops wrong thread

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I guess I fall into the "I like cream" side of things. A splash of milk/half&half with my coffee iced or hot and I'm good to go! That's mostly because I drink house brews and cheap poo poo. If I had access to or was about to order some sort unbelievably good brew. Then sure, I'd go black.

Also, I'm currently drinking NesCafe insta coffee dark roast with a splash of hazelnut CoffeeMate cream. :goofy:

I also ate a snack sized slim jim for breakfast. No, I don't know what I'm doing with my life. Get off my back, mom!

My metric is very similar. Third wave single origin pinkies out special roast? I paid enough for this poo poo to taste fantastic without cream or milk. Home roast I hosed up and left on the burner just a tad too long? K Cup from my coworker's machine? Add some milk to that cup to make it palatable. I don't endorse drinking coffee that tastes bad to acclimate your taste buds or something. Bitter coffee just tastes like anger.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I cannot drink a french press black. The mix of the oily coffee with a little milk is heaven.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've mostly lost the taste for cream & sugar in coffee, but once in a while it's kind of a nice little nostalgic comfort thing. But I'd feel bad doing it to quality coffee. Such are the pros and cons of having to stick to Food Lion beans when the money's tight.

I mean, technically I guess I do it to espresso all the time, but that's different

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've grown accustom to using Splenda or Equal or any other fake sugars. My majority of my family was apparently diabetic and I just assumed that was sugar growing up. If I got my cheap coffee with my half&half I gotta put one or two packets in there or else it doesn't "taste right" to me. Real sugar doesn't cut it!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Why would you even waste time drinking coffee that isn't good enough to have black? Take a caffeine pill if you're just an addict getting a fix.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Don't get weird about cream and sugar

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sextro posted:

Why would you even waste time drinking coffee that isn't good enough to have black? Take a caffeine pill if you're just an addict getting a fix.

N..n..no!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Cream/sugar/whatever is fine for cold brew though because it's garbage anyway.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I make cold brew if I have crappy beans or burnt beans so yeah.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Nespresso for the normies

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Cracker Barrel coffee should just be served with cream and sugar already in it, it combines to create a taste sensation.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Every now and then I add a 1/4 teaspoon of cream to my double espresso. (A true machiatto?). It cuts anything bitter without messing with the taste.

I also like the Nib Noir spiced hot chocolate added to the frothed slurry and the combined with a double shot. I am a philistine.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
A good splash of buffalo trace bourbon cream in a cup of coffee or two certainly never hurt anyone. :shrug:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why not just put a slpash of coffee into a cup of whiskey. Also cream.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVDOB9mby_w&t=264s

What about chocolate chip cookies?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

haha drat that was fun

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a Delonghi magnifica and I think my grinder is getting clogged. I've been careful to use light roasts so that it doesn't get gummed up with oily beans but that still may be an issue. What's the best way to clean the grinder on a super auto? Teardown? Grand rice (but then it would get brewed as well)? I may try blowing it out with compressed air first, but from there I'm not sure the best way to approach it is.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Don't be an idiot like me and not clean your coffee machine for 6 months. I was just doing basic cleaning, wiping the inside clean etc,, but you're meant to clean the infuser every month, which is what I wasn't doing (I didn't realise). Coffee went from tasting weak and bitter, to smooth, tastier and creamier. It's also really easy to clean, you just take the infuser out and soak it in water for 5 minutes. So I've had 6 months of old coffee leaching into every fresh cup I made, which is actually really gross when I think about it.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 10, 2018

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The look of confusion and horror from the Intelligentsia people when he whips out the flavored creamer is great.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

This is pretty much how my family drinks coffee. I have a pumpkin spice and gingerbread cookie flavored creamer in my fridge right now!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love how Jordan hates American hipster coffee. What is the Italian version of a weaboo?

Further coffee adventures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVYmcVgfDNA

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 10, 2018

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Jordan is also an actual weaboo. Check out Conan in Japan, his newest special.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have a Delonghi magnifica and I think my grinder is getting clogged. I've been careful to use light roasts so that it doesn't get gummed up with oily beans but that still may be an issue. What's the best way to clean the grinder on a super auto? Teardown? Grand rice (but then it would get brewed as well)? I may try blowing it out with compressed air first, but from there I'm not sure the best way to approach it is.
Why do you think it's clogging? It's pretty unlikely on a super-auto, unless you're using really oily beans or got some water in there. What are your symptoms?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bizwank posted:

Why do you think it's clogging? It's pretty unlikely on a super-auto, unless you're using really oily beans or got some water in there. What are your symptoms?

Super weak shots, not every time, but about half the time. When I look at the dregs, the puck is like half as thick as normal. I took out the infuser and found the spout from the grinder was packed full of grounds. I thought that was the problem, cleaned it out. First couple shots after were perfect, but then it gave me a couple lovely ones again. And when it grinds it sounds like the grinder isn't as full if that makes sense. Like I know the sound it makes when it's empty and the sound when it's working as intended, but this is somewhere in between on these weak shots.

edit: On the weak shots, there's also more volume in the cup when it's done, I assume because there's less grounds to absorb the water

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Super weak shots, not every time, but about half the time. When I look at the dregs, the puck is like half as thick as normal. I took out the infuser and found the spout from the grinder was packed full of grounds. I thought that was the problem, cleaned it out. First couple shots after were perfect, but then it gave me a couple lovely ones again. And when it grinds it sounds like the grinder isn't as full if that makes sense. Like I know the sound it makes when it's empty and the sound when it's working as intended, but this is somewhere in between on these weak shots.

edit: On the weak shots, there's also more volume in the cup when it's done, I assume because there's less grounds to absorb the water
So what's most likely happening is that your infuser is old and stiff, and isn't opening up as wide as it should to catch the grounds. I'm guessing this machine is at least 4-5 years old? The machine is probably grinding the same amount as always but the excess gets pushed up the pre-ground chute, and this is why the grinder sounds different as it's working harder to push the grounds out (normally there is no resistance). Cleaning and relubricating your infuser should help, but it will eventually need new gaskets as well. There's probably a video online somewhere of how to do that, and make sure you use a food-safe lube (we use Haynes lubri-film plus in the shop).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bizwank posted:

So what's most likely happening is that your infuser is old and stiff, and isn't opening up as wide as it should to catch the grounds. I'm guessing this machine is at least 4-5 years old? The machine is probably grinding the same amount as always but the excess gets pushed up the pre-ground chute, and this is why the grinder sounds different as it's working harder to push the grounds out (normally there is no resistance). Cleaning and relubricating your infuser should help, but it will eventually need new gaskets as well. There's probably a video online somewhere of how to do that, and make sure you use a food-safe lube (we use Haynes lubri-film plus in the shop).

Interesting. I'll try soaking the infuser like someone suggested. If I take it apart is it likely to send spring loaded parts everywhere? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but some things don't want to go back together once taken apart.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Congrats to goon owned Royal mile for making BuzzFeed Jr's (Thrillist) top 21 coffee roasters list!

https://www.thrillist.com/amphtml/drink/nation/the-21-best-coffee-roasters-in-the-country

Well deserved sir!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Update: I soaked the infuser in warm water for a while last night, and the water looked like it had pulled out a bit of coffee (not grounds, just dried coffee). Had three shots this morning, and all were tasty, proper size, etc. Fingers crossed.

Maybe I didn't read the manual well enough, but I didn't realize I needed to clean the infuser. The thing is only 6months old or so. I'll be sure to do it whenever I descale from now. Anything else I should be doing? Also, is there a way to manually actuate the "basket" on the infuser so I can make sure it's clean? I'm tempted to take it apart but that may a Bad Idea™.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Munkaboo posted:

Congrats to goon owned Royal mile for making BuzzFeed Jr's (Thrillist) top 21 coffee roasters list!

https://www.thrillist.com/amphtml/drink/nation/the-21-best-coffee-roasters-in-the-country

Well deserved sir!

That's pretty awesome. Nice job!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Munkaboo posted:

Well deserved sir!

Little late, don't you think :v:?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Update: I soaked the infuser in warm water for a while last night, and the water looked like it had pulled out a bit of coffee (not grounds, just dried coffee). Had three shots this morning, and all were tasty, proper size, etc. Fingers crossed.

Maybe I didn't read the manual well enough, but I didn't realize I needed to clean the infuser. The thing is only 6months old or so. I'll be sure to do it whenever I descale from now. Anything else I should be doing? Also, is there a way to manually actuate the "basket" on the infuser so I can make sure it's clean? I'm tempted to take it apart but that may a Bad Idea™.
Yeah pull the infuser out and rinse it regularly (every week or so), you shouldn't need to soak it that often. Other then that descaling is the only other maintenance you can (or need to) do on these machines. I'd advise against taking too much stuff apart unless you know for sure how to put it back together; the transmission is pretty strong in these machines and will break poo poo if the infuser isn't in or assembled correctly.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

literally had this same exact problem just a few days back, with the exact same results as you (amazing coffee). my coffee manual says to soak the infuser once a month, but it's so easy to do, I might do it every two weeks. I guess over time, little bits of coffee get stuck and it can turn rancid and affect the flavour.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Finally attempted to make some foam for the first time and got it half right. It needed a little more texture and heat but was serviceable enough after a stressful day at work. I did manage to catch my hand when purging the steam wand like a dumb rear end and should probably not do that in the future.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Furious Lobster posted:

Little late, don't you think :v:?

Owned.

I saw 12/8 and stopped reading.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Looking to buy a coffee machine for my wife. The Breville Oracle Touch has me impressed with the reviews and its capabilities, but it's a tad pricey and there's only a one-year warranty and the page to order replacement parts is broken on their website...

Thoughts? Is there one I should look at instead? Is there anybody selling these with an extended warranty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

revmoo posted:

Looking to buy a coffee machine for my wife. The Breville Oracle Touch has me impressed with the reviews and its capabilities, but it's a tad pricey and there's only a one-year warranty and the page to order replacement parts is broken on their website...

Thoughts? Is there one I should look at instead? Is there anybody selling these with an extended warranty?

Maybe a Breville dual boiler machine and separate grinder? Could save you some money.