Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Except for the damage done to the participants it is more unrealistic and obviously fake in every way.
We're talking about a movie where the villain's signature finishing move is a backbreaker and the hero counters with a hip toss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Realism and believability are two different things. A well choreographed fight scene in a movie doesn't have to be realistic but it has huge advantages over a pro-wrestling match in terms of believability because a filmmaker has much more control over camera angles and editing than pro-wrestling which is usually a live event.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

We're talking about a movie where the villain's signature finishing move is a backbreaker and the hero counters with a hip toss.

You shouldn't get so defensive when your obviously fake "fights" get called out for being silly looking. We do the same to lovely movie fights too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
"The thing you like is bad."

"How?"

"It just is."

"How?"

"Ugh, defensive much?"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I've been watching various Seventies movies recently, in part for the retro pleasures of watching chases involving cars the size of boats wallowing around on suspensions apparently made from sponge. It prompted a couple of thoughts: firstly, would films like The French Connection, the Dirty Harry series and their numerous 'tough cop' ripoffs ("Mitchell!", McQ, The Seven-Ups, etc) count as 'action movies' by modern standards? They've got action in them, but it tends to come in short bursts or one big car chase, rather than massive escalating setpieces.

Secondly, it shows how much the stakes have had to increase over the years to keep audiences interested. In 1971, the big stunt climax was Clint Eastwood jumping onto the roof of a bus. By 1988, Bruce Willis had to jump off the roof of an exploding skyscraper. Now, nobody even looks up from their phone for anything less than an entire city blowing to bits as Vin Diesel surfs a plane through a fireball.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

Secondly, it shows how much the stakes have had to increase over the years to keep audiences interested. In 1971, the big stunt climax was Clint Eastwood jumping onto the roof of a bus. By 1988, Bruce Willis had to jump off the roof of an exploding skyscraper. Now, nobody even looks up from their phone for anything less than an entire city blowing to bits as Vin Diesel surfs a plane through a fireball.

Even with the original Die Hard trilogy(so not including the more modern Live Free or Die Hard) the main focus is always the screen presence of Bruce Willis, he's still the one expected to carry the movie, not the big action set pieces. Same thing with most Arnold and Stallone movies, you were going for the personalities even more so than the action itself.

Certainly Cruise deserves some credit for consistently raising the bar every few years since the first Mission Impossible in 1996, to the point where the specific stunts and set pieces became the draw. But as you mention, The Fast and the Furious franchise also developed into that kinda thing. So I think those two franchises more than anything else have established that formula as we know it now. But I guess if you want to really trace it all the way back as far as it can go, Bond films were really the first series where people expected increasingly ridiculous stunts and for each new entry to top the previous one.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Edge of Tomorrow was on TV the other night, I've seen it a few times but not for a while. I'd actually forgotten how much fun the training part is.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
I rewatched Terminator: Salvation and, while I didn't even try to follow the plot, the production design and direction are way better than I gave it credit for the first time around. (Granted, the first time I was just really sleep-deprived.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Halloween Jack posted:

I rewatched Terminator: Salvation and, while I didn't even try to follow the plot, the production design and direction are way better than I gave it credit for the first time around. (Granted, the first time I was just really sleep-deprived.)

Terminator: Salvation is a frustrating movie, because I can see a good movie hidden in there. Anton Yelchin is fantastic as Reese. Worthington is...fine, but manages to not gently caress anything up too badly. The action set pieces are pretty great, and I would have liked more of them. But the movie grinds to a loving halt anytime they go back to Bale as John Conner at their base. Apparently the script originally only had John heard over the radio for most of the movie, and they met him at the end. But when Bale was cast, they decided to add in a bunch more scenes with him since, gently caress, we've got Christian Bale, we should probably use him. And it really shows.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Payndz posted:

I've been watching various Seventies movies recently, in part for the retro pleasures of watching chases involving cars the size of boats wallowing around on suspensions apparently made from sponge. It prompted a couple of thoughts: firstly, would films like The French Connection, the Dirty Harry series and their numerous 'tough cop' ripoffs ("Mitchell!", McQ, The Seven-Ups, etc) count as 'action movies' by modern standards? They've got action in them, but it tends to come in short bursts or one big car chase, rather than massive escalating setpieces.

Makes me wonder when "action" even started to be used as a named genre. I feel like the real "action" films of the seventies are more likely to be whacky hijinx type stuff (starring Burt Reynolds) and perhaps some war films.

On a tangent, Dirty Harry (the film and the character) is actually far goofier than I expected in the first movie, simething they moved away from in the sequels and, speaking of escalating stakes, I remember the big action climax in one of the Dirty Harry films (the one with Tyne Daily, forget the name) was Harry firing a rocket launcher and instantly killing the bad guy.

e: Looked it up, The Enforcer. Also while looking some stuff up... holy crap that's some body of work you got there Don Siegel

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 11, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
As far as I can tell, the Action Movie as a genre came into its own in the 70s, mostly in the form of those tough cop films. (Before that it was "adventure" films or specific genres, namely the Western.) As to whether or not any given cop film counts as an action film, I think it's very much a call-it-like-you-see-it thing based on whether or not the action sequences are the reason people see the movie. If the non-action scenes in a cop movie are dominated by the lead actor's "presence" and not any kind of intriguing plot of police procedure, well, there you have it.

I think you make a good point about sequels: Death Wish and Dirty Harry may not be action movies, but the sequels are shoot-em-ups, and well, there you have it.

thrawn527 posted:

Worthington is...fine, but manages to not gently caress anything up too badly.
Sam Worthington appears to have been produced by a Leading White Male Actor factory. He was born (decanted?) to play the protagonist in every movie based on a FPS.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 11, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

Terminator: Salvation is a frustrating movie, because I can see a good movie hidden in there. Anton Yelchin is fantastic as Reese. Worthington is...fine, but manages to not gently caress anything up too badly. The action set pieces are pretty great, and I would have liked more of them. But the movie grinds to a loving halt anytime they go back to Bale as John Conner at their base. Apparently the script originally only had John heard over the radio for most of the movie, and they met him at the end. But when Bale was cast, they decided to add in a bunch more scenes with him since, gently caress, we've got Christian Bale, we should probably use him. And it really shows.

It would've been a much better movie if Bale had been willing to play the Worthington role, and give the much smaller John Conner role to Worthington. Let Bale do the heavy lifting with the more complex and emotional character arc, and the Conner character can just be in the background the way it was originally written.

But I guess Bale probably thought that Conner was the bigger opportunity because he was anticipating multiple films.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Sam Worthington appears to have been produced by a Leading White Male Actor factory. He was born (decanted?) to play the protagonist in every movie based on a FPS.

I'm Default Male Shepard and this is my favorite post on the forums.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
wasnt it originally written that bale finds himself-as-terminator in that Big Hole in the beginning and the Connor that goes back is actually a terminator, but word of this leaked and the Internet went loving bonkers so they reshot a lot of the movie?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

wasnt it originally written that bale finds himself-as-terminator in that Big Hole in the beginning and the Connor that goes back is actually a terminator, but word of this leaked and the Internet went loving bonkers so they reshot a lot of the movie?

I thought it was that he dies after being stabbed at the end, and they replace him with a reprogrammed Terminator to maintain continuity in the leadership of the resistance. Bale vetoed that plan I think.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Basebf555 posted:

I thought it was that he dies after being stabbed at the end, and they replace him with a reprogrammed Terminator to maintain continuity in the leadership of the resistance.
Yes! Solidarity with our oppressed skullbot brethren!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ammanas posted:

That sounds a lot like Terminator: Genisys, the fifth Terminator film, which opens with a voiceover explaining what a Terminator is.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
The Power Rangers movie was surprisingly bad. I would much rather have rewatched the first one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

The Power Rangers movie was surprisingly bad. I would much rather have rewatched the first one.

I thought it started strong with the discovery of the cave but then at some point I was like "hmmm they seem to be taking forever getting to the actual Power Rangers portion of the movie", and I looked at the runtime and the movie only had 15 minutes left. Should've gone all-out but they didn't have the nerve I guess so the movie is just a big nothing.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Ammanas posted:

The idea I always heard is that Bale dies, but they graft his face onto Sam Worthington’s body to keep the mythos going (and explain why John Conner moves like a robot at the beginning of T2). Presumably follow up films would have had robo-Bale going toe-to-toe with Terminators, becoming more and more of a legend in the process. It’s stupid and kind of undermines what John Conner is supposed to be representative of, but at least it would have been something new.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Basebf555 posted:

I thought it started strong with the discovery of the cave but then at some point I was like "hmmm they seem to be taking forever getting to the actual Power Rangers portion of the movie", and I looked at the runtime and the movie only had 15 minutes left.
So it turns out that spending the bulk of your movie providing background for a franchise is a great way to ensure there's no franchise. Especially if it's a (literally) dark reimagining of something for kids.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

I thought it started strong with the discovery of the cave but then at some point I was like "hmmm they seem to be taking forever getting to the actual Power Rangers portion of the movie", and I looked at the runtime and the movie only had 15 minutes left. Should've gone all-out but they didn't have the nerve I guess so the movie is just a big nothing.

Listen, they're trying to build a shared extended Dark cinematic universe here, you can't blow your load that early when you're doing that.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Give me a dark n gritty VR Troopers movie

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gravy Jones posted:

On a tangent, Dirty Harry (the film and the character) is actually far goofier than I expected in the first movie, simething they moved away from in the sequels
Didn't Sudden Impact give Harry a comedy farting dog? (For some inexplicable reason it's the only Dirty Harry film I don't own, so I can't check.) And The Dead Pool has Harry impaling the bad guy with a huge gently caress-off harpoon gun, as well as at one point popping up out of a barrel like a Wack-A-Mole to shoot a bunch of mooks.

I just thought to compare the Dirty Harry series with the Die Hard series, BTW.
Dirty Harry/Die Hard: the groundbreaking original which inspires dozens of imitators
Magnum Force/Die Hard 2: the sequel that ups the stakes for violence and action but is a lot more straightforward and less smart.
The Enforcer/Die Hard With A Vengeance: a change of tack into a 'mismatched partners forced together' story where the plot is just an excuse for running around a photogenic city wrecking stuff. The fairly nuanced hero of the original is now a quip-spouting violent cartoon.
Sudden Impact/Die Hard 4.0: throws the hero into a new 'fish out of water' environment. Feels disconnected from the rest of the series as a result.
The Dead Pool/Live Free Or Die Hard: any pretence at realism or social commentary goes out of the window for overblown and goofy action sequences, dumb gags and a hero who can literally be caught in an explosion without a scratch. The series has become a parody of itself.

That said, at least The Dead Pool is watchable, unlike LFODH which was an inane and hideous pile of poo poo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

Didn't Sudden Impact give Harry a comedy farting dog? (For some inexplicable reason it's the only Dirty Harry film I don't own, so I can't check.)

Yes, but it gets castrated by the gang rapists who also murder Harry's friend, so it's not completely comedic.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It became a sort of running gag that he would lose a partner over the course of the film, but isn't there one where he loses three partners in the one film? Or have I mashed the one where he partners with a Chinese guy and the one where partners with a woman together?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I remember almost nothing about A Good Day to Die Hard other than that I saw it on Valentine’s Day. I think they go to Chernobyl for some reason? God that movie blows.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I remember almost nothing about A Good Day to Die Hard other than that I saw it on Valentine’s Day. I think they go to Chernobyl for some reason? God that movie blows.

It's especially annoying because the opening chase scene is actually really good (very silly and out of place in a Die Hard movie, but good) and the tracking shot of the helicopter crash at the end is really impressive. There's a couple of scenes that show there was some actual talent working on the film. It is dreadful, though.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"I'm on vacation!" - catchphrase of the guy who is in Russia to see his son put on trial for murder. Did the writers even re-read their own script?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I got insanely drunk on Mickey’s and saw it opening night to a crowd of 3 people with my buddy. They didn’t give a gently caress about it so the bottom half of the screen was misaligned so we couldn’t read the subtitles.

I barely remember it but I know I laughed a lot and yelled things out in anger. It was a horrendous piece of trash.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't like the fact that they keep making McClane's life shittier with each successive film starting with Die Hard With a Vengeance. I guess you could argue his life marginally improved from With a Vengeance to Live Free or Die Hard, where he at least seems to have stopped drinking. Then they way they wrote A Good Day to Die Hard they kinda forced themselves into a position where McClane had to be a lovely estranged father who hasn't seen his family for years.

I mean, sure it's an aspect of the original that John is a stubborn rear end in a top hat in some ways, and that's what makes him the terrorists worst nightmare blah blah blah, but does that mean he can never be happy?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

My main problem with A Good Day to Die Hard is that on top of the completely incoherent action scenes due to the editing, it's just so goddamn joyless in a way that none of the other Die Hard sequels are. It honestly feels like none of the actors even wanted to be in the movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The problem with latter day Die Hard’s is that the protagonist is now more Bruce Willis than John McClane, and Bruce Willis is a joyless dildo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

The problem with latter day Die Hards is that the protagonist is now more Bruce Willis than John McClane, and Bruce Willis is a joyless dildo.

Yea think about McClane's interactions with Argyle in the first film, I just don't know that Willis is even capable of that kind of thing anymore.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Wasn’t Bruce Willis originally a hard sell for John McClane because he only did comedy up to that point, like Moonlighting and The Return of Bruno?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Willis appeared on the BBC's The One Show to promote AGDTDH, and although he blamed jetlag afterwards, it was obvious he didn't give a poo poo about the movie or even being there.

But don't take it from me, let Charlie Brooker and co explain!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Wasn’t Bruce Willis originally a hard sell for John McClane because he only did comedy up to that point, like Moonlighting and The Return of Bruno?

Yes. Die Hard was oriignally written for Frank Sinatra and the protagonist in the book is significantly older.

OutlawVern did a write up of the book vs the movie, it's interesting.

http://outlawvern.com/2000/01/10/nothing-lasts-forever-the-birth-of-die-hard/

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 12, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

"The thing you like is bad."

"How?"

"It just is."

"How?"

"Ugh, defensive much?"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Equalizer 2 was pretty solid, I enjoyed it. Nothing groundbreaking but a worthy followup imo, if a bit too predictable.

There's a sick shot of Denzel pulling his car into a spin as a hitman tries to kill him from the backseat where the camera stays locked inside the car but you can see the world around them spinning and Denzel causes the guy's gun to fall forward where he of course smoothly turns it around and puts two in the guys face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
What one of you wrestling dudes should have posted was the fight from They Live!