Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spb posted:

What's your favorite submission?

a tie between the Fujiwara Armbar and the Sakuraba Special, but 99% of my submissions are either toeholds or americanas so make of that what you will.

edit: My goal is to some how hit this in rolling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v3dovx1HEc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Am I doing this right? I didn't do this last time around.

Congrats. Purple is a pretty serious accomplishment

spb posted:

Lately its been triangles. Since I learned the proper way to do a triangle and the setup for it from my buddy out in Vegas, I learned you dont even have to lock it up to get a submission if you do these things:

1. Control the gently caress out of the persons head.
2. Cut the chocking leg deep into the neck from the getgo. That tendon thats on the inside at the bottom of your leg, that should literally be on their neck.
3. Use the outside leg to push the trapped arm in. (optional lock up from here)
4. Twist your body and underhook a leg and look into their ear. Itll tighten it up even more.

I can finish without locking it up on a few people. I Lock it up if they start to stack (white belts) and sweep and finish on top.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 11, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I discovered while doing BJJ I think I have a weird color-blindness between blue and purple, especially if the belts are worn or faded

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Arm triangle best triangle and best sub all in one.

The kimura is pretty great because you have the added benefit of control and ability to transition to another position or sub attempt.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like heel hooks, front chokes, arm triangles, and RNCs. I don't know what out of those is my favourite. Probably the RNC.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Is the Sakuraba Special when you jump on someone?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am personally fond of The Ezekiel

I had a pretty fun thing where I used the Americana and the Ezekiel to work towards each other. The guy was blocking the Ezekiel by gripping in a way that left his arm exposed so I would put it in an Americana and when he used his other arm to fight the Americana I would slide back into the Ezekiel

too bad time ran out :(

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

My favorite is side control kimura. Arm triangle is what I hit when I'm in mount. I've never gotten a leg submission and have gotten close to giving a RNC but I need to get to the back more to practice it.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Ol' reliable sliding lapel choke. It and its many variants never let me down.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spb posted:

Is the Sakuraba Special when you jump on someone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0nltcFB4kI

Close.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

What does traditional jiu jitsu even look like?

Like, the only non Brazilian variety I have seen is small circle which is it's own thing.

It occurs to.me I have never seen a traditional jiu jitsu practitioner or what it even looks like

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, the only non Brazilian variety I have seen is small circle which is it's own thing.

It occurs to.me I have never seen a traditional jiu jitsu practitioner or what it even looks like

Think judo with more ball grabbing.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Youtube "gracie challenge".

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Well I lost my first tournament. But learned a lot, IBBJF rules is not the same as rolling in the gym. Next time I’m going to focus 100% on position and scoring points. And only going for a sub if it’s 100% on. Or if I’m a long way ahead on points.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Well I lost my first tournament. But learned a lot, IBBJF rules is not the same as rolling in the gym. Next time I’m going to focus 100% on position and scoring points. And only going for a sub if it’s 100% on. Or if I’m a long way ahead on points.

Good work getting out there and being jazzed to go out again! Point style tournaments heavily reward getting up on points and riding it out.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Don't let the dark side get you!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Ghetto Blaster posted:

I will focus the winning white belt strategy for you. Get the takedown, get side control, gently caress around with the guy's far side lapel for 4 minutes but not well enough to have to go for a sub. Say "whew man could barely hold on to you there" when you win every time.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Ghetto Blaster posted:

gently caress points, don’t waste your time on that poo poo you sub or you lose.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I pulled guard ended up with butterfly hooks in, sat there for a bit waiting for the right moment to sweep, got the sweep, went to knee on, but didn’t hold it long enough to score, got to 3/4 guard so no points got too exited and started attacking arms, he rolled I made a fairly poo poo attempt at a bow and arrow choke, didn’t get it. He swept me and I spent the rest of the match under his side control then mount then surviving his bow and arrow choke attempt. Hahah

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

i realized the same things when i did my first competition a couple weeks ago; points is the focal point and i didn't consider them at all.. rolled with submission only in mind heh

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

spb posted:

I haven't trained in the Gi very much, but I do love me a Bow and Arrow choke the handful of times I've gotten it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

grappling for points is a moral failure

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

grappling for points is a moral failure

Look if you're gonna be grappling with kids rules anyway, you may as well win via decision.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nothing is more frustrating than getting an injury during warm-up lol

I pulled my hamstring somehow during warm-ups and it sucked. Fortunately what we were drilling today didn't require hamstrings, but I didn't roll just out of precaution

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Just finished watching the last EBI and that was some top notch ladygrappling

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Idk why but I'm not motivated to grapple, guess I'm depressed

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I look at points in bjj the same way I did in wrestling: sure, reward me for controlling the dominant position. But a win by pin (submission) just feels all around better than getting ahead and stalling like a champ.

Edit: some version of a lapel choke or bow and arrow from back control, especially because I usually use the kimura grip to get there and then isolate the other arm with a leg. If they get frog guy I threaten the kimura grip armbar from the back.

FiestaDePantalones fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 12, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'd like to talk about unconscious BJJ.

While drilling tonight, I felt particularly focused and in tune with my body. I anticipated being extra effective in my rolls, and so I was.

I realize that a lot of the ways I was effective was in small things that I do on auto-pilot. Small movements, the sort we all do a hundred times in 5 minutes. Things like gripping, changing grips, pummeling, weaving, leaning, pushing, pulling etc. I noticed that one guard pass in particular had me controlling my partner's arms and then moving my legs in a novel (to me) way to fight past his legs. It was smooth and effective and I could not tell you how I did it, and I have no idea if I'll do it again.

I'd like to incorporate this instinctual, creative sort of fighting into my actual game. A technique I can drill and refine and improve, while instinct is unreliable and will usually lead to brutal counters against better players. Perhaps I should record myself rolling? I'm not sure how else to retain and notice all the small things I'm doing. Is this even a thing for other people?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

spb posted:

Idk why but I'm not motivated to grapple, guess I'm depressed

I've had that problem lots of times. Close to 100% of the time I feel better after the workout.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Count Roland posted:

While drilling tonight, I felt particularly focused and in tune with my body. I anticipated being extra effective in my rolls, and so I was.

I realize that a lot of the ways I was effective was in small things that I do on auto-pilot. Small movements, the sort we all do a hundred times in 5 minutes. Things like gripping, changing grips, pummeling, weaving, leaning, pushing, pulling etc. I noticed that one guard pass in particular had me controlling my partner's arms and then moving my legs in a novel (to me) way to fight past his legs. It was smooth and effective and I could not tell you how I did it, and I have no idea if I'll do it again.

I'd like to incorporate this instinctual, creative sort of fighting into my actual game. A technique I can drill and refine and improve, while instinct is unreliable and will usually lead to brutal counters against better players. Perhaps I should record myself rolling? I'm not sure how else to retain and notice all the small things I'm doing. Is this even a thing for other people?

Filming your rolls is something nobody does at my gym but I've known people that swear by it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I've had that problem lots of times. Close to 100% of the time I feel better after the workout.

Same, after the first roll of the night I feel real thankful that I ended up going instead of sitting home.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I've been having crazy back spasms every week and it's really been limiting my training, down to 2 or so classes a week when I could be doing 5-6. Really frustrating because I feel I've been improving a ton lately.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Count Roland posted:

You entered a flow state of training. It's a thing in sports psychology and firas zhabi discussed it on the jre podcast recently in direct relation to mma/NJ training but theres a bunch of literature on it

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Waroduce posted:

You entered a flow state of training. It's a thing in sports psychology and firas zhabi discussed it on the jre podcast recently in direct relation to mma/NJ training but theres a bunch of literature on it

The Rise Of Superman is a really good book about Flow State training

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Odddzy posted:

Filming your rolls is something nobody does at my gym but I've known people that swear by it.

I wish I could do this since I have to otherwise rely on memory for what I did wrong and approximate the solution. With video it's clearer to see what went wrong but my gym doesn't allow taping unfortunately.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm going to try filming some of my rolls at open mat this weekend.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

spb posted:

I wish I could do this since I have to otherwise rely on memory for what I did wrong and approximate the solution. With video it's clearer to see what went wrong but my gym doesn't allow taping unfortunately.

one of the good things that comes with filming your rolls (especially if you fall into the habit of watching matches of high level guys) is that you'll end up having a pretty nice backlog of stuff you can go back and watch and see your progression over the following months.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Count Roland posted:

yeah I do this a lot, usually after I take too long to tap to a choke

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Count Roland posted:

Yeah this is an awesome feeling but the more you do jits the more it just comes to you. Although I dont think this is just about moves, its also about a general awareness. About being tight in your attacks and drilling the poo poo out of things so this "unconscious BJJ" becomes a part of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I don’t think you want to have flow bjj unless in an actual fight or competition because I think you need to be thinking about the moves you are doing and pushing yourself to try new moves which you will need to be conscious of in order to preform correctly.

If you’re at the point where you don’t think about your bjj moves while training, you’re not challenging yourself enough.